ADVERTISEMENT

NIL is being destroyed by the University not honoring Paterno

It’s going take an incredible NIL marketing pitch to get alumni that want to contribute towards the compensation of college football players. Especially, after the board of distrust threw not only Paterno under the bus, but alumni for perpetuating what they called a ‘culture’ problem.

If they turned around and named a street or the field after Joe, it wouldn't even matter to the donors. The ones who walked away aren't coming back and younger people don't know who he is, other than a scary monster. But this is how PSU wanted it, so enjoy.
72593b47-c320-4aa5-87fd-dbc448daa7d0_text.gif

I disagree. We may be losing some NIL money because of the way the university handled Paterno, but I bet it’s less significant than advertised . I think most people holding on to their wallets fundamentally disagree with handing over cash to a college kid on a free ride.

I will never pay directly for NIL.

I disagree. We may be losing some NIL money because of the way the university handled Paterno, but I bet it’s less significant than advertised . I think most people holding on to their wallets fundamentally disagree with handing over cash to a college kid on a free ride.

You need bagmen to compete at this game. The same people who were throwing money under the table before are doing it now; they probably just get a tax write off now for it.

You hear Miami and A&Ms named a lot, but they collectively have 3 seasons of relevance in the past 20 years so who cares about them? They blow money on players, coaches, whatever and they have zero to show for it. A&M at least can say "but Bama, LSU, and UGA!"; what can Miami say? Nothing.

I think a lot of this NIL is going to weed through kids quicker. Particularly the ones who aren't self motivated and or don't have strong support systems.

The biggest problem we face is OSU is continuing to rack up high end talent, sort through it, play the best, rinse and repeat. Oregon now joins the fold, but they haven't been on OSU's level so it's not an issue...yet. Michigan is a threat as they are after the same type of kids we are.

It’s going take an incredible NIL marketing pitch to get alumni that want to contribute towards the compensation of college football players. Especially, after the board of distrust threw not only Paterno under the bus, but alumni for perpetuating what they called a ‘culture’ problem.
I read that a lot of schools are prioritizing NIL over facilities upgrades. The same donors that would cough up money for facilities are the same ones that would do so for NIL and you can only go back to the well so many times.

Reactions: Ski
Says who? All it will take is Kraft, and the University president.
Jay opposed Lubrano wanting to call it Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium. He said now's not the time given the current financial issues. But when will the time be better? Answer - NEVER!

Also consider that naming rights will likely be sold. It might be Sheetz field at Beaver Stadium. IMO at best they'll bring Sue out to the field to honor her contributions (including Special Olympics) and the scoreboard will show videos of her & Joe. Maybe put Joe's statue in the sports museum after stadium renovations are complete.

Agreed. It is about the dumbest thing I can think of to do with one’s money.

Reactions: bison13 and WaylonJ
I think getting premium seats requires a NLC donation. Do you qualify for premium seats if you donate to Happy Valley United?

I've had that fudd on ignore for a long time.
Yeah some ass clowns can't carry on a discussion like sane people 😂. The point of this thread is to discuss what is wrong with NIL, and one of those things is that the big donors did NOT like the way Paterno's legacy was shoved into the garage. I think that's a very viable and valid point and so did the guest on the locked on show. It's also valid that it's unlikely to be addressed by the powers that be, but I think with good leadership and open minds, that can be fixed.

There's nothing wrong with a kid getting a TV commercial, or something, from the local car dealer. There's everything wrong with running this money through the universities.

I do not believe that the floodgates would magically open and solve any NIL issues were they to honor JoePa. I do feel that there would be an increase in NIL donations, maybe even significant if there is one or two major donors who feel this way, but while PSU should find a way to get it done, it will not solve the issue in total

Oh for Christ sake sit on it Fonzie. I don't care enough to bother you, fool.

Back to the topic for the rest of the board, welcome to ignore jackass
Lol I always love when someone claims to put me or anyone else on ignore

This thread was started to talk about Paterno and how the University did him wrong. We all know it has zero impact on NIL.

I read that a lot of schools are prioritizing NIL over facilities upgrades. The same donors that would cough up money for facilities are the same ones that would do so for NIL and you can only go back to the well so many times.
I have been curious how that might play out, it's probably too early to know. I know players will want both but in an either or situation if I'm a player I'd rather deal with crappy facilities and have the money go directly in my pocket instead.

I think getting premium seats requires a NLC donation. Do you qualify for premium seats if you donate to Happy Valley United?
There are different donation tiers with varying perks, like the NLC, but nothing that includes ticket access as that is managed by PSU and the NIL collectives are not officially through PSU.

Agreed. For the most part, we lost our history and tradition. I warned about this day 1 back in 2011. Every school capitalizes on its tradition and leans on its alumni. PSU lost a ton of rabid advocates in its alumni base.
Perhaps, but the Stadium is still full every Saturday home game.

I would think that beating Ohio State, winning the Big Ten, and doing something in the playoffs would have a bigger impact.

Perhaps so.

Enough to overcome the OSU behemoth?

Michigan's 3 year run says "no". If they win 4 in a row, without Jimmah, without the sign stealing and a lot of new faces, well. Hmmm

Reactions: bison13
I do not believe that the floodgates would magically open and solve any NIL issues were they to honor JoePa. I do feel that there would be an increase in NIL donations, maybe even significant if there is one or two major donors who feel this way, but while PSU should find a way to get it done, it will not solve the issue in total
Not having the flood gates magically open is no reason not to do it. If it improves the situation then it's worth it, period. My brand new Gibson Les Paul guitar won't make me Eddie Van Halen but it sure does improve my guitar sound.

I would think that beating Ohio State, winning the Big Ten, and doing something in the playoffs would have a bigger impact.
And I would think that honoring Paterno would improve NIL, and help to heal old wounds and would damn sure improve recruiting and the chance to actually beat Ohio State for a change.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Not having the flood gates magically open is no reason not to do it. If it improves the situation then it's worth it, period. My brand new Gibson Les Paul guitar won't make me Eddie Van Halen but it sure does improve my guitar sound.
Reread what I wrote, starting with the word but

Hopefully there will come a time when the Paterno State University believers will either quit crying or just move on.

Then again, if music tastes are any indication, either of those events are unlikely, until they pass on. The same folks pining for Paterno are likely the same folks shaking their canes at today's crap music, as they fight for tickets to watch the 90-year-old skeletons of their favorite "this is REAL music!" bands from yesteryear.

We should be building the path forward, not doubling back to fix and lay brick where we already trod.

Last edited:
Hopefully there will come a time when the Paterno State University believers will either quit crying or just move on.

Unfortunately many here only care about the past not the present or future. They can't accept what happened. The past will never change. Paterno is still the same person they all remember. The University doesn't determine how anyone feels about him. All this angst over a statue is absurd. He's not even someone that would have cared about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT