ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Questions?

SR108

Jan 13, 2004
How is NIL supposed to work? I assume when recruiting high school kids, the college coaches cannot out and out offer a sum of money to the kid to come and play.

Also, as far as the portal goes, if a current college player is looking for another school to transfer too, I assume the potential college coaching staffs cannot offer a blank amount of money to the portal player.

What are the rules? How are teams skirting the rules? is there any enforcement?

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed before.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain the process for both high school recruits and portal players.

NIL money does not come from the schools or the coaches themselves, so they technically can’t “offer any” to recruits or potential transfers. But, I am absolutely certain these coaches are telling recruits/potential transfers an “estimate” of how much they can get if they come to their school. Wouldn’t surprise me if there is plenty of embellishment going on as well, resulting in many recruits entering the portal after not realizing they were making as much as they thought.

It does seem like many of these NIL deals are nothing but gifts. I think the whole purpose of NIL was so players could get paid from jersey sales, endorsing businesses, etc. But as many warned from the beginning, determining whether a payment was made for a legitimate purpose is almost impossible to enforce.

How is NIL supposed to work? I assume when recruiting high school kids, the college coaches cannot out and out offer a sum of money to the kid to come and play.

Also, as far as the portal goes, if a current college player is looking for another school to transfer too, I assume the potential college coaching staffs cannot offer a blank amount of money to the portal player.

What are the rules? How are teams skirting the rules? is there any enforcement?

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed before.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain the process for both high school recruits and portal players.
I believe that the university has nothing or little to do with it. NIL is between the player and the business that wants to use the player's likeness for whatever (advertising or whatever). I know tOSU has created a brokerage that introduces and provides a legal framework for players and businesses.

Regardless, the contract is between the player and the business so if a kid leaves via portal or whatever, that is between him and the company. I have heard that some companies are creating a clearing house where they are basically a booking agency and can swap players out for another. For example, they have paid a lot of money for Allar and he portals out they can swap in a Singleton.

But this is all still evolving and hasn't settled down. So things may be different tomorrow if someone comes up with a new idea that is still legal within the NCAA/govt guidelines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT