ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I just read an article about PSU's need to pick up 1 or 2 top WRs from the portal. The article questioned if PSU has sufficient NIL money to attract them.

The article said USC had to come up with $3 million to get Jordan Addison from Pitt. Can that possibly be accurate?

I recall Ryan Day saying OSU needed $15 million to stay competitive. If a WR gets $3 million how much does it take to keep the players we have? Are Allar, Carter, Singleton, Allen, Robinson, Sutton, Fashnau, etc. all worth a million each? What about the other 78 scholarship athletes? What's the total "payroll" for a top 10 college team?

Columbus sports radio today was grousing about NIL today and some 5* they lost to Georgia as OSU did not have $ to match a 750K target. Gist of the conversation was that this was going to destroy OSU and that there has to be some regulation of NIL. It is the Wild West for sure. Can say I disagree that it is getting totally out of hand.

Columbus sports radio today was grousing about NIL today and some 5* they lost to Georgia as OSU did not have $ to match a 750K target. Gist of the conversation was that this was going to destroy OSU and that there has to be some regulation of NIL. It is the Wild West for sure. Can say I disagree that it is getting totally out of hand.
Ohio St has paid players for decades. Now others are permitted to pay as well. Ohno St thinks this development is a competitive disadvantage.

Ohio St has paid players for decades. Now others are permitted to pay as well. Ohno St thinks this development is a competitive disadvantage.
The problem is, now they have to compete with the lunatic fringe of fandom in the south and Pacific West .. So, I guess 'Free Shoes' aren't cutting it anymore.

A serious look at the number of Players in the portal makes me think the NIL $ will mitigate, at least some especially when a few million net an on the field non producer.

Last edited:
It's really hard to read tbh. It looks like we are about to get this highly touted transfer in Cephas. Are we throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars his way? Doubt it.

I just read an article about PSU's need to pick up 1 or 2 top WRs from the portal. The article questioned if PSU has sufficient NIL money to attract them.

The article said USC had to come up with $3 million to get Jordan Addison from Pitt. Can that possibly be accurate?

I recall Ryan Day saying OSU needed $15 million to stay competitive. If a WR gets $3 million how much does it take to keep the players we have? Are Allar, Carter, Singleton, Allen, Robinson, Sutton, Fashnau, etc. all worth a million each? What about the other 78 scholarship athletes? What's the total "payroll" for a top 10 college team?

It’s been rumored that both Williams and Addison got $1 million to transfer. Not sure about a multiyear deal. Here is an article on the new Georgia recruit.

Do the NIL numbers come with performance conditions? What if the 5 star player is a total bust? What is his Name, License or Image worth then?

It will get worse. Marginal teams will drop out of the competition and we'll end up with a 30 or so team football league. College sports will be dropped (mens and womens) and funding the entire sports program through football or basketball proceeds will no longer be possible except for those being propped up by wealthy doners. They'll be less money from TV and the sale of labeled goods and it will crash. Minor league sports don't do well on a national level.

It will merely be the battle of billionaire alumni who need power and influence and will exert it. Every university in the league will be controlled by persons outside the university. They can pull their funding whenever they wish and control the team and school. Think Auburn at an exponential level. The genie is out of the bottle and he ain't going back. Once the TV contracts expire it isn't going to be pretty.

No they cannot be conditioned on playing time, performance, game participation.
Brilliant.. I bet some 5* busts from 2 years ago are wishing they were bring recruited now. Damn, the SEC payrolls are gonna skyrocket. All those years of 1 or 2 and process out are gone.

It will get worse. Marginal teams will drop out of the competition and we'll end up with a 30 or so team football league. College sports will be dropped (mens and womens) and funding the entire sports program through football or basketball proceeds will no longer be possible except for those being propped up by wealthy doners. They'll be less money from TV and the sale of labeled goods and it will crash. Minor league sports don't do well on a national level.

It will merely be the battle of billionaire alumni who need power and influence and will exert it. Every university in the league will be controlled by persons outside the university. They can pull their funding whenever they wish and control the team and school. Think Auburn at an exponential level. The genie is out of the bottle and he ain't going back. Once the TV contracts expire it isn't going to be pretty.
I agree with most of that except the TV contracts. The BiG just signed one for $7 billion.

In 2022 Texas A&M had the highest ranked Rivals class in history of rankings. It’s rumored that class cost $30 million. That’s for 20-25 kids…

No they cannot be conditioned on playing time, performance, game participation.
That's true in a sense. But I wonder how many whales are dictating to college coaches who plays, who gets redshirted, who gets the best dorm rooms, etc. I can't imagine those with money to burn would be hesitant to express their "views".

If college football wants to save bowl games not related to the new playoff structure they need to move the transfer portal window to after bowl games and let the bowl games be the showcase for players entering it. No spring semester enrollment. Use the spring semester for portal recruiting and and enrollment in summer. The portal period being during the season and before spring practice overtly hurts the players already on a team and overly rewards players transferring. Make the transfers mesh with the team in summer camp like the typical freshman would have too. I love the portal but the timing of it is all wrong. But I get it, Lincoln Riley wants an extra 4 months to work with his next transfer quarterback....Sorry dude, work with ones that came naturally.

ADVERTISEMENT