ADVERTISEMENT

no halftime adjustments?

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
This is a pretty shocking statement by the Mannings. You mean to tell me that the QB doesn't sit down with the OC and discuss adjustments to make for the second half based on surprises they learned in the first half? Payton would know much better than me, of course. But I cannot imagine there isn't some discussion on changing the play calling, double teaming, chipping, etc. the other day, a team moved a DT to DE in order to penetrate and stop the outside run. It worked and the offense never adjusted but their outside game around that end was stymied.

Maybe it is a matter of defining "halftime adjustments". With nobody on the O playing on the D, maybe these adjustments are just made in game when the other unit is on the field.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I know in basketball the coaches went over schemes and adjustments, stats and what's not working. Hard to believe football coaches didn't talk about similar things.

Always thought it strange to wait til halftime. Players are off the field half the game and coaches specialize so why not make adjustments every time your unit comes off the field? You see something…..adjust!

But I could also see that halftime would be the opportunity to get everyone on the same page. Clear up communication issues. Compare reads.

The whole game should be adjustments.

Last edited:
It's just an antiquted term. Football has changed so much -- adjustments are now made continually throughout the game. Fairly major adjustments are made pre-snap by both teams. If coaches spot something they can use, they try to use it right away. For sure some things are going to be new in the 2nd half but a lot of that was part of the original game plan.

Peyton had the ability to audible and change plays for a very long time. He was essentially his own co-OC the majority of his pro career. He probably took part in adjustments between every series. He also likely had nothing to do with the defense, who could have made more adjustments at the half.

It's just an antiquted term. Football has changed so much -- adjustments are now made continually throughout the game. Fairly major adjustments are made pre-snap by both teams. If coaches spot something they can use, they try to use it right away. For sure some things are going to be new in the 2nd half but a lot of that was part of the original game plan.
This--if you wait until halftime you're going to get fired.

This is a pretty shocking statement by the Mannings. You mean to tell me that the QB doesn't sit down with the OC and discuss adjustments to make for the second half based on surprises they learned in the first half? Payton would know much better than me, of course. But I cannot imagine there isn't some discussion on changing the play calling, double teaming, chipping, etc. the other day, a team moved a DT to DE in order to penetrate and stop the outside run. It worked and the offense never adjusted but their outside game around that end was stymied.

Maybe it is a matter of defining "halftime adjustments". With nobody on the O playing on the D, maybe these adjustments are just made in game when the other unit is on the field.

Most over rated thing in coaching. Fans overhupe ig but really there is no time easpecially in the NFL. Half time is 12 minutes in the NFL and 20 in college. Most of the time it about getting nutrition and maybe regaled or making equipment changes. You might meet 5 minutes with the coaches.

The rec level armchair quarterbacks can't believe the game is simply played by the players.
Better players win games, not coaching. A well timed innovative play call is nothing compared to the people executing it.
John Wooden and his UCLA Bruins were good when he arrived, they became a dynasty because of Goodrich, Hazzard, Erickson, Alcindor & Walton......Better players than the ones they previously had and better players than any opponent.
Jimmy's & Joe's > X's & O's
No competent coach or varsity level athlete would contend otherwise.
When all things are equal the level of coaching matters a little bit, but it's pretty rare for all things to be equal. Just ask TCU, they couldn't have won that game with Vince Lombardi & Bill Walsh on the sidelines.

My roommate was on the 1992 Fiesta Bowl team that beat Tennessee. UT was winning at the half but PSU blew them out in the second half outscoring them 35-7. I asked him what Paterno said to them at halftime to get them motivated. He told me Joe walked in, said "They're playing really good offense out there", walked into his office and didn't come out until it was time to go back onto the field.

My roommate was on the 1992 Fiesta Bowl team that beat Tennessee. UT was winning at the half but PSU blew them out in the second half outscoring them 35-7. I asked him what Paterno said to them at halftime to get them motivated. He told me Joe walked in, said "They're playing really good offense out there", walked into his office and didn't come out until it was time to go back onto the field.
There is a local legend where a really good high school team was getting physically beaten and losing at the half. The team typically gathers around and the coach gives a rip-roaring motivational speech. This time, they gathered around and nobody said a word. It was eerily quiet. Finally, the ref comes in and tells the coach he has a minute to get his team out on the field to warm up. The coach wades into the middle of the group, clears his throat, and says "OK, ladies, its time for the second half" and that's it. They blew the team out and won the championship.

ADVERTISEMENT