ADVERTISEMENT

Nobody at the Pitt hoops game tonight. 2 million people must be @ the oper

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Major metropolitan area and nobody at a Pitt hoops tournament game??? Everyone must be at the Opera or the Museums. That's a basketball school???

Not to defend them, but every NIT game tonight has the same crowd. Less than 48 hours to get tickets, make arrangements, etc.. Hell, neither team wanted to be there, can't blame the fans for feeling the same.

I do believe GW has beaten Pitt in front of a crowd of several hundred!!!
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by john4psu:
Major metropolitan area and nobody at a Pitt hoops tournament game??? Everyone must be at the Opera or the Museums. That's a basketball school???
In fairness to Pitt, I know two different season ticket holders that did not go to the game tonight but went to St. Patrick's Day events (party and dinner) instead. You may think that's a poor reason, but St. Patty's Day is very big in these parts. As an example, the Pittsburgh St. Patrick's Day parade, held this past Saturday, is the 2nd largest in the World.

Originally posted by fairgambit:
In fairness to Pitt, I know two different season ticket holders that did not go to the game tonight but went to St. Patrick's Day events (party and dinner) instead. You may think that's a poor reason, but St. Patty's Day is very big in these parts. As an example, the Pittsburgh St. Patrick's Day parade, held this past Saturday, is the 2nd largest in the World.
With pitt athletic supporters, everything is bigger than actually going to a pitt game. The bars will be there tonight. The game won't. If you are a pitt athletic supporter, you go to the game.

People still celebrate St Patty's day after they finish college?

I guess graduating from Pitt technically is not finishing "college".

Of course it's an excuse for people to drink. Lots of people become Irish for a day.

They lost?! Bahahahaha.

Garbage fire. Shut the entire athletic dept down. It's over, Johnny!!!

Wow only PSU fans could be bold enough to criticize another schools attendance for basketball. Nobody across the country goes to NIT games at home after a poor regular season. Pitt had a poor season this year for sure , the second time they missed the NCAA tourney in the last 13 years. Some schools would love to have that record of success in MBB.

Puhleeze. How brainless are you? How many people live within an hour drive of Oakland compared to State College? In addition, Pitt is a basketball school. The school's best and most popular and well attended sport and the crowd last night didn't even qualify as a crowd. Truly Pittyful.

But, there's so much to do in Pittsburgh on a Tuesday night!!!!

Why would anyone want to go anywhere else other than the United States capital of culture, art and entertainment....Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania?

Sports isn't a priority in that town, silly!! At least when they lose, that is.

Originally posted by Alphabets:
They lost?! Bahahahaha.

Garbage fire. Shut the entire athletic dept down. It's over, Johnny!!!
Remember that pitt is a basketball school.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by indoorgolf:
Wow only PSU fans could be bold enough to criticize another schools attendance for basketball. Nobody across the country goes to NIT games at home after a poor regular season. Pitt had a poor season this year for sure , the second time they missed the NCAA tourney in the last 13 years. Some schools would love to have that record of success in MBB.
No school would love to have that record of (mild) success in MBB if that means you have take the rest of the athletic program failure that comes with it.

"Remember that pitt is a basketball school.

3dgrin.r191677.gif
"

Sure they are.....in their own minds.

They're more of a "No-ball" school.

I could be wrong, but I actually think I remember hearing they won something, once, a long time ago, in some sport. Who knows. It was so long ago and my mind is probably just playing tricks on me.

This post was edited on 3/18 12:48 PM by Alphabets

For all of history, Pitt has never won an NCAA national championship, in any sport.

Every dime that has ever been spent on Pitt athletics has been wasted.

Originally posted by pandaczar12:

Please pass that on to Suzie McConnell-Serio. He daughter is a Sophomore at Pitt and Suzie must not realize it's not a college.

Please pass that on to Suzie McConnell-Serio. He daughter is a Sophomore at Pitt and Suzie must not realize it's not a college.
Wow, that was out of left field.

I think you need a sense of humor. Haven't you ever heard the expression "if you can't get in to college, go to Pitt?" If I received free tuition to Pitt, I'd probably send my kids there too. I'd just make sure they went on to receive a worthwhile graduate degree somewhere else. I'll make sure to ask her about the future plans when I pass this on to her. Anything else you want me to tell her?

I'm sure her daughter is not one of the losers on the Lair either. So rest easy knowing that she will never see the joke to be able to misinterpret it.

Wow, that was out of left field.

I think you need a sense of humor. Haven't you ever heard the expression "if you can't get in to college, go to Pitt?" If I received free tuition to Pitt, I'd probably send my kids there too. I'd just make sure they went on to receive a worthwhile graduate degree somewhere else. I'll make sure to ask her about the future plans when I pass this on to her. Anything else you want me to tell her?

I'm sure her daughter is not one of the losers on the Lair either. So rest easy knowing that she will never see the joke to be able to misinterpret it.
I've lost my sense of humor and become overly sensitive the past 3 years to gratuitous shots at Penn State. I suppose I should expect a response in kind to other schools but I thought we were better than that. I guess we're really just like everyplace else. Certainly I've taken shots at Pitt's 87 National Championships, and maybe that's no different. I do believe we are the last school that should be criticizing anyone else's basketball attendance.

It's what they say at their Facebook site.

"The 2nd largest St. Patrick's Day Parade in the world. Pittsburgh's very large and active Irish community come together each year to produce a family oriented celebration of Ireland's patron Saint." And the distinction may be "size of the actual parade (participants)" vs. "size of the crowd." Update: It appears that is the distinction. "The St. PatrickÕs Day Parade in Pittsburgh is the second largest in the country with 23,000 participants, including marching bands, floats, and various groups representing Irish and other heritages."

This post was edited on 3/18 3:42 PM by fairgambit

2nd largest in world?

If you are going to make fun of Pitt, make fun of them for this video. They made fun of Franklin for being a Saleman. Looks like they have an actor. This video will be funny to laugh at when Narduzzi has a losing record or when he leaves for another school within 2 years.

PITT IS IT!!!!

That video is hilarious!

"I believe we can win championships here" He should have clarified that he meant that Pitt could probably enter into a 4 way tie for the MAC championship once a decade.

Re: Ah, I see

Originally posted by Woodpecker:
New York had 150,000 - 250,000 marchers, maybe they count it the same way as National Championships
Maybe so. Actually, the parade aside, the whole point is St. Patrick's day is very big in Pittsburgh, even among non-Irish, and as I said, I know people who passed on the Pitt game to go to a previously scheduled St. Patrick's Day party or dinner. That also aside, of all the things a Penn State fan might knock Pitt about, their basketball attendance should be near the bottom of the list.

Re: My final point. List of 10 best cities to celebrate St. Patricks's Day.

I know, anyone can make a list, but I did not make this one. The site that did, "Niche", lists Pittsburgh as No. 1.
The fact that Scranton is not even on that list says everything I need to know about its legitimacy. Scranton's is one of the best in the world, let alone the state.

Just to show you that empty seats aren't just a "Pitt thing", here are the attendance numbers for last night's first round NIT games;

1. Louisiana Tech. 6904
2. Murray State. 3376
3. Pitt. 3049
4. Rhode Island. 2638
5. Texas A&M. 2583
6. Tulsa. 2547
7. Illinois. 2348
8. The U. 1612

On that list which is in a major city and considers itself a big time basketball school Marty?

On that list which is in a major city and considers itself a big time basketball school Marty?
True. Although pitt is located in a cultural mecca with many events vying for the precious time of a pitt athletic supporter, pitters will tell you that pitt is a "basketball school". The pitt game should have been sold out.

Why not just compare Pitt's attendance to that of a local high school? I mean, you play your spring games there anyway.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

At least none of our head coaches protected a known pedophile...JOE KNEW!

This board sounds like something out of a NAMBLA convention.

Originally posted by PittFan97:

It's so cute when a pitt athletic supporter tries to refute a sad fact about pitt with a proven lie about Joe. Even when the pitt athletic supporter has been proven wrong about Joe time and time again, he reverts back to the lie because he has nothing else.

He knew alright...that scheduling Pitt was a waste of everyone's time. Why put Pitt on the schedule when you can actually have a decent match-up against a team like Akron? He did it for the fans. He was done with scheduling OOC fluff games like Pitt.

Akron travels better as well. Fact.

Sigh... you guys just keep getting dumber and dumber. Sandusky wasn't a "known pedophile" until 2012.

Joe did the legal maximum he could by reporting the hearsay of suspected abuse, following state law, university policy, and NCAA guidelines. Penn State Administrators reported the hearsay of suspected abuse to Sandusky's employer.

Keeping the spotlight on Paterno/PSU instead of the state agencies that failed those children, only perpetuates the problem. The question is, for what reason do you want to keep children in harms way? Is it strictly out of ignorance of the facts? Or because of some petty football rivalry?

Joe himself admitted that he should have done more...he also could have followed up to see that something was being done.

If he didn't know, why was Sandusky suddenly taken off the coaching staff and why did it take 11 or 12 years for this to all come out publicly? Perhaps it had something to do with a major cover up being done within the football offices.

It has nothing to do with the rivalry as some of you always go back to. It has to do with hiding what had been going on for years and was allowed to continue to happen. It's a shame that your reverence for Joe clouds the fact that he didn't have the guts to ban the man from campus and keep him away from running any camps where he could find more children to victimize.

Timeline

Joe himself admitted that he should have done more...he also could have followed up to see that something was being done.

If he didn't know, why was Sandusky suddenly taken off the coaching staff and why did it take 11 or 12 years for this to all come out publicly? Perhaps it had something to do with a major cover up being done within the football offices.

It has nothing to do with the rivalry as some of you always go back to. It has to do with hiding what had been going on for years and was allowed to continue to happen. It's a shame that your reverence for Joe clouds the fact that he didn't have the guts to ban the man from campus and keep him away from running any camps where he could find more children to victimize.
You can tell from my posts above, and in other threads, that I make efforts to defend Pitt when I think it's warranted. Simplistic, uneducated, posts like yours make me sorry I did.

It's a shame that your hatred of PSU/Paterno clouds the fact that Paterno did EXACTLY what he was supposed to do. You really don't understand the facts of this case. You should really do some research before posting again.

Joe said "with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more". That means... Knowing what I know now. Once he put the witness in contact with his superior, it would have been inappropriate for Joe to follow up. Joe still asked MM from time to time if things were going OK, and MM had every chance to tell Joe that things weren't being handled appropriately.

He wasn't suddenly taken off the staff, he retired. Even Louis Freeh says that Jerry's retirement had nothing to do with his crimes. Jerry was fully investigated by state professionals in 1998 for an incident that happened at a local high school. Those professionals that you want to protect, cleared him of all wrong doing and put all those kids in harms way. Why would they have to fire a guy who was falsely accused?

Even the lead Sandusky prosecutor, Frank Fina, said he found no evidence of a cover up. So just stop.

Going on for years? The football program was brought in to this in 2001, when the infamous shower incident occurred. The victim that night is on the record stating no abuse occurred, that he and JS just showered. After PSU reported Sandusky's questionable behavior, showering with a teen, to his employer, they told him to stop bringing kids on campus. Only one victim was abused after that incident, and it was off campus.

Over 3 years in to this mess, how can you be this wrong? Oh... because you can't handle the truth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT