ADVERTISEMENT

Nolf - Joe Smith. Mind the gap

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
wow! It seems to me that Jason gets particularly juiced to obliterate coaches sons in front of their fathers. Only a long injury delay and stalling kept that from happening to Jake Ryan last year. This Joe Smith match was brutal.

I didn't think I'd see a momentum changer better than Taylor, but I may give the nod to Nolf. His beat downs must be demoralizing - this one certainly was to that crowd and Cowboy bench.

Last night I was able to watch the entire match on OSU youtube link. Smith was mentally and physically whipped. You could hear the coaches(father)tell him" you got keep on wrestling" going into 3rd period.Sounded like it was youth wrestling. In the last startup coaches/ father yells "you need this point" so he would not get teched. JoJo could of cared less,no effort at all. Whooped.

Reactions: psu ironman
Last night I was able to watch the entire match on OSU youtube link. Smith was mentally and physically whipped. You could hear the coaches(father)tell him" you got keep on wrestling" going into 3rd period.Sounded like it was youth wrestling. In the last startup coaches/ father yells "you need this point" so he would not get teched. JoJo could of cared less,no effort at all. Whooped.

Link to the entire match on YouTube?

Flo posts free video of entire Dual Championship - PSU vs OK ST

Click on the start triangle on left side near the top.

Enjoy! ;)

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/1111484-2017-2-penn-state-vs-1-oklahoma-state#.WKsL8pE8Kf0

Last edited:
Reactions: lionlover
Someone posted a link on this forum that said OSU posted the match on line. It started with the color gaurd to the end when the OSU announcer said that the pokes are going have to do some catching up to PSU. It was 127 minutes. Sometimes links get removed for copyright issues .21 guns posted the perfect camera angle of the Gulibon pin but it was removed. If I find the link I'll try to post it. I'm a novice on social media.

Reactions: T J
Someone posted a link on this forum that said OSU posted the match on line. It started with the color gaurd to the end when the OSU announcer said that the pokes are going have to do some catching up to PSU. It was 127 minutes. Sometimes links get removed for copyright issues .21 guns posted the perfect camera angle of the Gulibon pin but it was removed. If I find the link I'll try to post it. I'm a novice on social media.

It was Amalone with the post, not me. Amalone found the screen shot, I posted the clip that the screen shot came from, and now not only are both of them down, but EVERY clip I found is down. Lmao, not only does Flo stink, but after they stink, they take all the evidence out.

Link to the entire match on YouTube?

Or a link to the first half matches?
Entire match and the OSU announcer was good. Folk were lamenting last evening that it had been pulled. You could hear coach smith emploring joe to keep wrestling. The commentary was great......"Escape Joe, now if Joe can get a takedown he can work this down to a regular decision.......oh, takedown Nolf." "Joe has to keep from being taken down and you can hear coach smith reminding him this point matters....oh, takedown Nolf". On and on, over and over.

Great respect for coach smith.....that had to be really hard to watch.

I do wonder if Jo Jo is making too much of a weight cut to get to 157. Nolf is clearly better, but I'm wondering about the cut. I do think I recall John Smith saying that he was having trouble getting down there, and he did not start wrestling until mid-season because, I think, of the weight cut.

I would think he'll be at 165 or, perhaps 174 next year.

16649007_10113034699065474_3442967644531361289_n.jpg

"I don't know how you don't slap the mat there." -Oklahoma St. announcer, during 141 match.

Entire match and the OSU announcer was good. Folk were lamenting last evening that it had been pulled. You could hear coach smith emploring joe to keep wrestling. The commentary was great......"Escape Joe, now if Joe can get a takedown he can work this down to a regular decision.......oh, takedown Nolf." "Joe has to keep from being taken down and you can hear coach smith reminding him this point matters....oh, takedown Nolf". On and on, over and over.

Great respect for coach smith.....that had to be really hard to watch.

The only thing the Okie State announcers got incorrect was the stalling rule when the top wrestler has a "hip ride" on (i.e., boot in) and the bottom wrestler stands. Announcers repeatedly stated that it is the top wrestlers obligation to take the legs out and "return the bottom man to the mat" or else it is stalling (i.e., if the top wrestler makes no attempt to return bottom wrestler to mat and just hangs on). This is actually diametrically incorrect in regards to how the rulebook reads. If the top wrestler executes a legal "hip ride" prior to the bottom wrestler standing (prior counts anything while the bottom wrestler still has 4 points of contact), the position will be stalemated fairly quickly as it is a potentially dangerous position for both wrestlers; however, if the bottom wrestler repeatedly stands to thwart this legal move by the top wrestler (i.e., a leg-in "hip ride"), it is the bottom wrestler who should be hit with stalling, not the top wrestler who had his legal move in first. The rules are quite clear on this topic - it is the bottom wrestler who is to be called for stalling if the bottom wrestler repeatedly stands to thwart a legal "hip ride".

Reactions: Dogwelder
The only thing the Okie State announcers got incorrect was the stalling rule when the top wrestler has a "hip ride" on (i.e., boot in) and the bottom wrestler stands. Announcers repeatedly stated that it is the top wrestlers obligation to take the legs out and "return the bottom man to the mat" or else it is stalling (i.e., if the top wrestler makes no attempt to return bottom wrestler to mat and just hangs on). This is actually diametrically incorrect in regards to how the rulebook reads. If the top wrestler executes a legal "hip ride" prior to the bottom wrestler standing (prior counts anything while the bottom wrestler still has 4 points of contact), the position will be stalemated fairly quickly as it is a potentially dangerous position for both wrestlers; however, if the bottom wrestler repeatedly stands to thwart this legal move by the top wrestler (i.e., a leg-in "hip ride"), it is the bottom wrestler who should be hit with stalling, not the top wrestler who had his legal move in first. The rules are quite clear on this topic - it is the bottom wrestler who is to be called for stalling if the bottom wrestler repeatedly stands to thwart a legal "hip ride".
The dudes on HR clearly have the same impression as the announcers have.

Amazing picture that clearly shows how "flat" Heil was due to pulling on the crotch-lock / crotch-lift (i.e., pinning himself as he is pulling back) - what is doublly amazing is that this was only the first of 3 separate times that Heil pinned himself! This was in the 2nd period when Jimmy first began stacking him and Hagerty inexplicably didn't even bother to go down and look at Heil's shoulder blades! Hagerty finally got down on the mat looking for the pin later in this sequence and Jimmy again had him stacked with Heil pulling straight back and flat on his back, but again no call. The identical sequence again happened late in the 3rd period off of a deep Gulibon shot - again no call.

In addition, this picture also demonstrates that a TD should have been called for JG imho as he has control of both of Heil's legs (one hooked with his right leg and the other controlled with both hands) -- JG is squarely on top of Heil and in control of Heil. Heil's crotch-lock is not preventing control any longer imho and Hagerty should have called 2 prior to the pin on both occassions as this picture clearly demonstrates - just because JG is in a semi-Peterson Position does not mean he doesn't have full control of both legs and Heil's body or that he shouldn't be awarded a TD.

Does anyone believe that Haggerty will actually be approached with these issues. The non-pin calls in Jimmy's match and misapplying the stalling calls on Zain? If so how does that happen? Would it just be a simple after the match conversation while people are leaving the gym or a more formal meeting?

Not a big fan of still photos to show falls. Too many are roll-through's, or aren't held for the requisite 1 second. Video evidence is needed.

That said...while I was counting to myself, and watching live action...this was the closest non-call of a neutral fall that I've ever seen. I think he had it...

Generally, my MO is always forward looking, this one just stinks for Jimmy. He'll get some love from the people that matter, it just would've looked great on his body-of-work. I personally believe Jimmy is ready for a run.

Now that my post is complete...I'm focused on Bloomington and the B1G Wrestling Championships!!

Last edited:

Exactly. I understand that High School and College Rules may be different at times, but I think they are the same on this one. I've seen it called as you say the rule reads in high school--specifically at Powerade in 2015.

Not a big fan of still photos to show falls. Too many are roll-through's, or aren't held for the requisite 1 second. Video evidence is needed.

That said...while I was counting to myself, and watching live action...this was the closest non-call of a neutral fall that I've ever seen. I think he had it...

Generally, my MO is always forward looking, this one just stinks for Jimmy. He'll get some love from the people that matter, it just would've looked great on his body-of-work. I personally believe Jimmy is ready for a run.

He had Heil flat for more than one second three separate times in the 2nd and 3rd period -- Hagerty didn't even get down and look at the first one as the photo demonstrates (he was literally standing at first looking down at the action for an eternity - it was surreal).

In addition, given the control Jimmy had of both Heil's legs and his body positioning on Heil, JG should have been awarded the TD (as well as the subsequent pin) on both occassions in the 2nd and 3rd period as Heil's crotch-lock was doing nothing (excepting pinning himself) to prevent Jimmy's demonstrated control. Not calling a TD here (or NF count or subsequent pin) because Heil was "pinning himself" via a crotch-lock and attempted crotch-lift (a really stupid thing for Heil to do from that position and insanely absurd that it was REWARDED by Hagerty as preventing control, which it wasn't - the only thing he was doing was "pinning himself") is the type of bull$hit as to why most world-class wrestlers find many aspects of "Folk" (and Folk Officiating) to be a complete joke relative to the "true" spirit of wrestling rules -- you would never see this bull$hit pulled in Free, nor would you see it REWARDED by an official in Free!

wow! It seems to me that Jason gets particularly juiced to obliterate coaches sons in front of their fathers. Only a long injury delay and stalling kept that from happening to Jake Ryan last year. This Joe Smith match was brutal.

I didn't think I'd see a momentum changer better than Taylor, but I may give the nod to Nolf. His beat downs must be demoralizing - this one certainly was to that crowd and Cowboy bench.
Jason Nolf is my favorite wrestler on the PSU team and would be a decided favorite against Joe Smith no matter what. It's still pretty clear to me that Joe Smith is having a problem cutting to 157.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT