ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Portal Movements for 2024-25

I have no doubt Vodka is outraged, and has been busy self reporting these infractions to the NCAA compliance committee.

With all of the Iowa posters who add commentary to our board daily, I’m sure they’re all busily preparing responses to these allegations about how they’re incensed their team isn’t playing by the rules 🧐.

Wild Turk????

jillian bell animation GIF by Cartuna

• Haha
Reactions: Grass
A program that has lost its morals and will do anything to try and stay competitive. And the saddest thing is even with the scumbag handing out bags of cash they still can not do it. So sad for the good Hawk faithful.

Reactions: Creek Side
I told my boys growing up that there are some jobs you won't do regardless of how much you were paid. Of course there are always a few desperate enough to take the even the most horrible of jobs.

Wrestling at Iowa appears to be one of these jobs. You gotta be pretty desperate and need to cash over all else to go there right now.

Iowa has become an absolute joke. Lost any respect I l had for the program. Poaching guys, not in portal? SMH.

Brands seem like honorable guys. Think they pack it in after this year or next if the slumlord continues?

Last edited:
Iowa has become an absolute joke. Lost any respect I l had for the program. Poaching guys, not in portal? SMH.

Brands seem like honorable guys. Think they pack it in after this year or next if the slumlord continues?
The Brands boys continued to take Foxcatcher money after Schultz got murdered - angering Kurt Angle and many others - I think you overestimate their classiness

The Brands boys continued to take Foxcatcher money after Schultz got murdered - angering Kurt Angle and many others - I think you overestimate their classiness
We absolutely needed, after Foxcatcher and the Virginia Tech sabotage by Tom, another example proving exactly how classless they are. Not really. I was already convinced.

Reactions: danoftw
If Ayala moves up to 133 (as is expected, I think), Iowa won't even qualify for NCAAs.
This is a real issue for Iowa, and why Slumlord Bob tried to poach Ramos and Volk.

Joey Cruz is the only 125 to have ever enrolled in college. He's a career 3-8 vs D1 opponents, primarily in Opens (only 1 dual).

Dru Ayala might be good long-term, but isn't hia brother and will be better off shirting.

But Iowa's 133s without Ayala are barely any better. They're not qualifying either.

Fair to question if Iowa is still the Best Lightweight Room in the Country.

This is a real issue for Iowa, and why Slumlord Bob tried to poach Ramos and Volk.

Joey Cruz is the only 125 to have ever enrolled in college. He's a career 3-8 vs D1 opponents, primarily in Opens (only 1 dual).

Dru Ayala might be good long-term, but isn't hia brother and will be better off shirting.

But Iowa's 133s without Ayala are barely any better. They're not qualifying either.

Fair to question if Iowa is still the Best Lightweight Room in the Country.
141 is a problem, too. I think GIA is expecting Block to wrestle there, but he's got to be 6' now and was already built like a rail. I don't see how he's going to hold that weight, but we'll see, I guess. There's no spot for him at 149 with Parco there.

Iowa's funny. They might end up not qualifying multiple weights while being forced to sit Block, VV, and Kennedy because of a logjam of their best guys all in a small range of weights.

141 is a problem, too. I think GIA is expecting Block to wrestle there, but he's got to be 6' now and was already built like a rail. I don't see how he's going to hold that weight, but we'll see, I guess. There's no spot for him at 149 with Parco there.

Iowa's funny. They might end up not qualifying multiple weights while being forced to sit Block, VV, and Kennedy because of a logjam of their best guys all in a small range of weights.
Schriever might be OK at 141, but will be a clear downgrade from Woods. Probably not making the podium.

Last year GIA expected points from Fredo, so whatever.

Block gave Kasak a really good match at PWC, Kasak was able to ride him pretty good but Block also looked like he had 2 near the end of a period that wasn't awarded. Obviously Tyler has jumped levels since then. I remember a big takeaway for me is just how much bigger Block looked, at least frame wise, he was significantly taller and his arms were way longer. I believe he was hurt his first year and thus didn't wrestle any matches. Granted, Block did wrestle 138 that entire year but Sebolt kids have a reputation for being willing to make large cuts in HS. I'm curious to see how he looks at 141 but expect it to be a tough pull (we've since heard Tyler won't see 149 again)

I had no clue how this sh*t was being allowed to take place (maybe I missed it), but over on 34 one guy was asking about how Bradley Hill could transfer from Iowa to Oklahoma right now. PS85 said that as long as they are released from scholarship they can transfer immediately. Corby goes on to say "The courts have been involved in a few cases recently. If you didn't start school you can go anywhere you want and enroll. Basically the athletes are in control now. Things could change down the line but currently that's how many compliance offices read things."

Link: Division I Board of Directors ratifies transfer, NIL rule changes

I had no clue how this sh*t was being allowed to take place (maybe I missed it), but over on 34 one guy was asking about how Bradley Hill could transfer from Iowa to Oklahoma right now. PS85 said that as long as they are released from scholarship they can transfer immediately. Corby goes on to say "The courts have been involved in a few cases recently. If you didn't start school you can go anywhere you want and enroll. Basically the athletes are in control now. Things could change down the line but currently that's how many compliance offices read things."

Link: Division I Board of Directors ratifies transfer, NIL rule changes
I don't see what is different there about transfer eligibility, vs. the recent past. Perhaps allowing multiple transfers prior to graduation.

Also, the link says nothing about transferring without being in the portal. BUT: another article linked within it does -- and it explicitly retains the portal rule as previously understood.

"Moving forward, student-athletes are expected to enter the Transfer Portal within their sport's notification-of-transfer windows, which Division I members emphasized are important for providing transparency to student-athletes and coaches for recruitment opportunities, roster management and financial aid planning. There will continue to be exceptions to the legislated transfer windows, including for the departure of a head coach or a discontinued sport. Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT