ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure if people have seen Drew’s post game comments

The regular crying Karen's that post here are not going to like this!
I’ll give you a slightly different spin.

I’ve silently been critical of CJF in my mind. There are too many head scratching game decisions over the years. Playing not to lose and losing anyway.

However, I am proud of Drew for speaking out like this. It renews my pride in PSU and PSU Football. I want CJF to surprise us all that(periodically) doubt him.

I’ll give you a slightly different spin.

I’ve silently been critical of CJF in my mind. There are too many head scratching game decisions over the years. Playing not to lose and losing anyway.

However, I am proud of Drew for speaking out like this. It renews my pride in PSU and PSU Football. I want CJF to surprise us all that(periodically) doubt him.
Great post. I really like him as a person and representative of PSU. I share that his game day decisions are sometimes ‘interesting’. But there is so much more than that for Penn State.

I've been critical of him going for it on 4th downs when he should punt, it worked yesterday twice though. I think all coaches can make bad decisions due to the stress of the game. I thought Lincoln Riley made some really bad clock management decisions at the end of the game. It was 3rd and 7 needing 10 yards for a field goal and he let the clock tick away to the point of only having one chance to move the ball close enough for a field goal, and he had 3 timeouts.
I"m not sure if punting the ball yesterday would have worked though, considering how good USC was moving the ball, and probably why Franklin went for the fourth downs instead of punting.
So far this year I think Franklin has made good decisions.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I thought Lincoln Riley made some really bad clock management decisions at the end of the game. It was 3rd and 7 needing 10 yards for a field goal and he let the clock tick away to the point of only having one chance to move the ball close enough for a field goal, and he had 3 timeouts.

Media asked about that. Riley said that the loss of yards on 1st down changed their mind about being aggressive. They didn't want to leave us with time in case they didn't get into range. They were playing for one more positive gain and then to kick it, trusting their K.

Like it, dislike it, or indifferent, if the play isn't executed properly it doesn't work out.

Reactions: Gitzit
james franklin is a class act guy. im a Notre Dame fan but when i saw coach Franklin stop his football player from putting the PENN STATE flag in the middle of the USC logo that took class. Youre lucky to have a coach like Franklin at PENN STATE. YOU ARE A GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM THAT'S ONLY GOING TO GET BETTER. beat the assholes in OHIO. GO STATE.

One of the best things about college football is watching high quality young men grow up. Allar looks and sounds so different from a year ago. He's a leader and that means a lot. And he really grew up as a player on Saturday -- showed emotional toughness and focus, probably did things even he didn't know he was capable of. It's exciting to watch the growth.

One of the best things about college football is watching high quality young men grow up. Allar looks and sounds so different from a year ago. He's a leader and that means a lot. And he really grew up as a player on Saturday -- showed emotional toughness and focus, probably did things even he didn't know he was capable of. It's exciting to watch the growth.
I loved how he takes control of the offense. This is no small thing as coach Ks offense is very complex pre snap. Even what he was at wideout he was trying to run the offense

He was really fired up on that last drive. He was so pissed when he didn't get the snap, play clock winding down then the TO from the sideline. He was really telling the O linemen an earful when they were running back on the field. I loved that emotion out of him.

It is great to see him stepping into the leadership role and seemingly embracing the clutch moments, the winning time moments. I said before this game that we needed him to step up and make clutch plays in the clutch. Come up big on the road in a tough game versus a good opponent. Put the team on his back if you will. I didn't know if he could do that but we were all hoping and expecting it given his high profile recruitment. He proved he can be "the guy" and hopefully this just accelerates his confidence and he plays more and more loose, relaxed and fiery!

The thing about all this is … had Fleming not been able to make a spectacular grab on 4th down, many of the same folks feeling all gushy and mushy toward Allar and Franklin would be here talking about how PSU is doomed, Franklin can’t coach and Allar isn’t the leader we need … despite Franklin and Allar being the same exact people with the same exact skills.

Think about how you judge people.

The thing about all this is … had Fleming not been able to make a spectacular grab on 4th down, many of the same folks feeling all gushy and mushy toward Allar and Franklin would be here talking about how PSU is doomed, Franklin can’t coach and Allar isn’t the leader we need … despite Franklin and Allar being the same exact people with the same exact skills.

Yes. And if my uncle had different equipment, he'd be my aunt.

Allar and Yurcich and Franklin weren't ready for the moment and missed it last year vs. OSU, UM and Ole Miss.

But Allar and Kotelnicki and Franklin were ready this year. So we're having a different discussion.

(Your point is well-taken though about the haters...they will be silent this week and wait for the next flop or underachieving moment to harp on the data point that proves their hate...)

Franklin has grown up as well

State the obvious.....

First, I don't think the catch was a "spectacular" grab. I think it was a good grab but one I would expect a WR to make. I also submit that there were three drops that may have well invalidated the need for that good catch

First, I don't think the catch was a "spectacular" grab. I think it was a good grab but one I would expect a WR to make. I also submit that there were three drops that may have well invalidated the need for that good catch

The ball was led perfectly - put right on his hands high directly in front of his facemask as he made his cut on down-&-in pattern. It was just as good a throw, as catch.

Reactions: Obliviax
Don't discount the pressure associated with making that type of catch given the circumstances in the game.

Free throws are relatively easy too - until the game is on the line and you're behind and you need to make the shot for the contest to continue ....

Don't discount the pressure associated with making that type of catch given the circumstances in the game.

Free throws are relatively easy too - until the game is on the line and you're behind and you need to make the shot for the contest to continue ....
Yep...totally agree. I don't mean to diminish his contribution on that drive. But had he dropped it, I'd have been very disappointed. That is a catch a good WR is supposed to be able to make.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
Franklin has improved over the years for sure. Very gutsy decision to go for that 4th down on our own side of the field.

This was no different than the 4th down calls to go for it in '23 vs OSU and Michigan; we just got the first down, twice, vs USC.

Franklin was chastised for this in '23 because it didn't work. His decision making has been a lot better since '22. He just only gets credit for it when it works. And usually some defer it to the OC.

This was no different than the 4th down calls to go for it in '23 vs OSU and Michigan; we just got the first down, twice, vs USC.

Franklin was chastised for this in '23 because it didn't work. His decision making has been a lot better since '22. He just only gets credit for it when it works. And usually some defer it to the OC.
Well yeah I agree, he's been better since '22 for sure.

The thing I like most about Drew is that when he gets an opportunity to be “me me me” he deflects and praises his coaches and teammates.

That’s a mature young man and one I can really root for. Keep it up!
It wasn’t just positive statements about Franklin, notice how he praised the defense for holding USC to field goals on both interceptions.

Then he took the reins and tied up the game.

This bodes well for the locker room chemistry going forward.

Reactions: Obliviax
It wasn’t just positive statements about Franklin, notice how he praised the defense for holding USC to field goals on both interceptions.

Then he took the reins and tied up the game.

This bodes well for the locker room chemistry going forward.
I really like how he manages the offense. The downside to AK's offense if getting people lined up and in the right place. With all that we do, we've been good at avoiding pre-snap penalties. You see him telling people where to go all the time. He's really smart. A case in point is when he lined up as WR and was trying to direct the offense from the wide right side of the field. Not only did he direct the players but was pointing out that the play clock was running down. Great field presence.

i also feel like his teammates seem to be trusting him more.

Reactions: SR108

Thanks, Obli, just catching this now. Very nice. Heartwarming even. The kid's a class act.

But honestly, he shouldn't get too self-critical about the INTs. You have to sling the rock. I'd much rather have this version of Drew than last year's when he hesitated for fear of making a mistake. In fairness to him, he wasn't getting a lot of help from his receivers.

As for Franklin, I've always been a fan and loved that he was hired. In recent years I've been mildly critical at times -- accent on the word "mildly" -- but I've remained a supporter of his. I never once called for his departure or wished that would happen. But a lot of people have. I mean, check out the game thread from the first half.

One nice thing about college football is that it only takes one big win to change the conversation, change the narrative, and forgive all past sins. By any measure, Saturday was a big win, and it puts everyone in a warm and fuzzy mood. Me too.

However, this emotional dynamic often works in reverse after a big loss...or sometimes any loss. The warmth and fuzziness tend to evaporate quickly.

With that in mind: Wisconsin...Wisconsin...Wisconsin!

Great post. I really like him as a person and representative of PSU. I share that his game day decisions are sometimes ‘interesting’. But there is so much more than that for Penn State.
It’s possible to be critical and supportive at the same time.

Allar still would have had a good game but you are correct he still would not have had his moment in the clutch and would be viewed differently. That is the way it goes in life. What if Elway does not make that drive vs Cleveland or Brady getting the benefit of that ridiculous tuck rule? Or what if Garrity does not make the great diving grab in the Sugar Bowl, Testaverde completes the pass to beat us? You could go on and on. Not saying then all those players or teams end up doing nothing but when you try to revise history and predict you realize you really can't. Sports is feast or famine.

You say the exact same skills for Allar, win or lose but not on the mental side which is the biggest thing and impacts the physical side of playing. Fleming drops the pass or whatever and we lose then Allar's confidence and mental psyche are totally different than how it turned out. You could say the same for our kicker.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT