ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games: Week of 11/7 - 11/13

The print was just small enough for me to do a double-take after originally reading that Paddy G was wrestling Chase Utley.
No beats Chase Utley. Go Phils!
chase utley world GIF

Reactions: Fatmarc and mcpat
Crook beats Bouzakis 14-6 at 141. Bouzakis definitely needs that redshirt year. Crook has had an incredible start to the season though. If Andonian would’ve wrestled and beat Paddy VT would’ve won the dual
Ohio State fan reaction:

“We’ve just become the offseason champs of wrestling that underachieve every year. Also known as Bobby Bowden’s Florida State”

In football, two sorry ACC schools that don’t even have wrestling programs participated in a big and convincing upset.

I can’t imagine a more deflating night for tOSU wrestling fans. Sort of the opposite of how we’re feeling

Reactions: diggerpup
I can’t imagine a more deflating night for tOSU wrestling fans. Sort of the opposite of how we’re feeling
The most recent example of why winning the national recruiting championship does not necessarily translate into success on the mat. The transfer portal will start to look pretty attractive to some of these top recruits as they underachieve in college.

Good on both teams (VaTech, Ohio St) to schedule a tough early-season, out-of-conference dual. Although there may be risk to individual records/rankings, it gives wrestling fans an early treat and the teams a tangible measure of where they currently stand. Love to see it.

I hope Andonian’s absence was for a relatively benign reason (skin, weight) and not injury. He’s wicked fun to watch, and he really put things together at the end of last season.

Good on both teams (VaTech, Ohio St) to schedule a tough early-season, out-of-conference dual. Although there may be risk to individual records/rankings, it gives wrestling fans an early treat and the teams a tangible measure of where they currently stand. Love to see it.

I hope Andonian’s absence was for a relatively benign reason (skin, weight) and not injury. He’s wicked fun to watch, and he really put things together at the end of last season.

Was told a week or 2 he will be out

I’ll be curious to see if Mendez or Bouzakis grows into a 141 in future years.

Crook beats Bouzakis 14-6 at 141. Bouzakis definitely needs that redshirt year. Crook has had an incredible start to the season though. If Andonian would’ve wrestled and beat Paddy VT would’ve won the dual
Bouzakis was up a weight and beat Crook to the punch in period 1. Student announcers said that they met in HS (Tampa) one time and Bouzakis won something like 5-3. Crook had a lot of length and leverage on Bouzakis and was clearly the better wrestler in periods 2 and 3. Bouzakis tried a few moves in P3, but, was simply too tired to make any progress. It left me wondering why TanTom would throw a freshman out at a home match against a bigger, stronger, more experienced opponent?

Bouzakis and Mendez both taken out week one. Cael's record is safe from yet another tOSU national championship recruiting class. Whew, that was a close one. Oh crap, Feldman is still out there.
By the time OSU's all time greatest recruiting class graduates, their PSU counter parts will have enjoyed much more individual and team successes.
OSU recruits out of this world so they can be the team that finishes between Penn State and Iowa.

Reactions: danoftw
Re: meaning of “Goldfish Games” . . . it is a toungue-in-cheek reference to a comment made a while back (summer ‘21?) about how this forum has the attention span of a goldfish (credit to @jack66 ). The board did not fail when we subsequently attempted a single “results only” thread to run throughout the season — things went off the rails quickly (the meander I remember most was a discussion of how Yianni may or may not be a jerk). So, instead of trying to maintain order, I acquiesced to my fellow goldfish and embraced the disorder by making it a weekly thread for us to have our noteworthy results and goldfish games, too . . . or something like that. 😉
Ahh, all this time I thought it was a play on the popular Netflix series Squid Game about a survival game to the death.

Reactions: slushhead
...It left me wondering why TanTom would throw a freshman out at a home match against a bigger, stronger, more experienced opponent?
Because that's how he handles it? He wanted to show off his shiny recruits. I believe Mendez and Bouzakis are still studs that will do well for the buckeyes--but they have a track record of not looking great early in the season. Still--maybe not how we would have handled it.

Because that's how he handles it? He wanted to show off his shiny recruits. I believe Mendez and Bouzakis are still studs that will do well for the buckeyes--but they have a track record of not looking great early in the season. Still--maybe not how we would have handled it.
Mark Hall in Carver?

Reactions: liex26
OSU Mastro wins 4-2 in SV. Given the adverse circumstances of no Ferrari nookie awaiting him in Stillwater any longer, I’m surprised he could dig deep to pull out the W.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
Jake VanDee, a true freshman, who wrestled at Erie Cathedral and now at Nebraska, won his first dual match beating #23 ranked Jarrett Trombley from NCST. Jake was a PIAA state champion and 2 time runner up. Nice win for the PA freshman.

Last edited:
I watched the Oklahoma State vs Lehigh match. Lehigh is on local cable.
It was a tough watch, not much action. Lehigh lost every close bout, there was no doubt that OS was in better shape. Beard hung on to win but gassed in the 3rd.

Kinda, but at that point Mark had won the Southern Scuffle, and no one would say Meyer was the more experienced wrestler anyway.
Agreed. Using this past example to exactly predict young Haines' (and the coach's) decision is fruitless. Every situation is unique. I'm just grateful to be able to see four years of eligibility for Levi, whenever it is.

Why didn’t Messenbrink wrestle this weekend? He would’ve gotten matches against Carr and Kennedy. Super tough matches but I think he can go with Kennedy and really would’ve loved to see both those matches. I think I read that he is definitely not redshirting so weird that he didn’t go

Why didn’t Messenbrink wrestle this weekend? He would’ve gotten matches against Carr and Kennedy. Super tough matches but I think he can go with Kennedy and really would’ve loved to see both those matches. I think I read that he is definitely not redshirting so weird that he didn’t go
I recall reading that he was preparing for a freestyle event. Can't remember where I read it or where he's competing but that's old age for you.

Reactions: zzs006
OSU Mastro wins 4-2 in SV. Given the adverse circumstances of no Ferrari nookie awaiting him in Stillwater any longer, I’m surprised he could dig deep to pull out the W.

That was the younger (but bigger) brother that smeshed lady ferrari.

ADVERTISEMENT