ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results, Iowa Ducks, Glory Holes, Turk serves his country (again), Yianni a jerk, etc.

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
Take II

Figured we could drop nuggets in here as the season progresses . . . For example:

Okie St 29, Stanford 7
- Griffith shut out Wittlake 4-0
- Real Woods did not wrestle

... and Abas put it on Gfeller 15-6.

Abe Assad lost to HS kid

Rutger 174 AA Jackson Turley went 0-2 yesterday, lost to Clarion's John Worthing 12-6 and Davidson's Steven Newell 6-5.

Joe Manchio (COL) over Sam Vatona (VT), 10-8
Anthony Sobotker (BING) over Sammy Alvarez (RUT), FALL

Ohio State
Looks like Rocky Jordan was pinned by McGonigal (Mercyhurst) in first round of Ohio Intercollegiate Open, proceeded to pin Medeiros (Heidelberg), then MFF’d out.

tOSU appeared to be wrestling their starters (or most of them). D’Emilio got the nod at 141, DeCatur did not compete. I guess Romero would be the guy at 184 if Jordan is out a while.

Probably mentioned elsewhere already — Echemendia no longer on the roster.

Hard to tell what to make of Rocky Jordan. McGonigal trained with Quentin Wright in HS and hits some throws out of left field -- but guys who avoid that stuff tend to dominate him (which is probably a big part of why he's no longer at Lock Haven).

According to a poster on ohiowrestling.net, Jordan was up 6-0 at the time, which is certainly consistent with your description. 👍🏻

Wolfpack Open: most notable was Nick Reenan dropping back down to 184. For NC State, this means 197 Isaac Trumble didn't transfer after all. From a PSU perspective: Reenan won't beat Brooks but will likely hinder Iowa.

Speaking of that ... Appalachian State Open: Indiana's Donnell Washington is up to 184 and pinned his way thru the tourney. He has a two-fer hit on Iowa at the weight -- he'll push them down at B10s and therefore give them a worse seed at nationals. Again, without impacting Brooks.

Also at App State: Arizona State freshman Jesse Vazquez dominated 141. Won't impact this year's team race, but definitely someone to watch.

Is Reenan finally healthy? Hope so--heck he made Final X that one time.

Ummm…. Is Hidlay out or something?

Good catch, completely forgot about Hidlay when I posted about Reenan. Extra Strength Idiot Pills kicked in.

Hidlay didn't compete at Wolfpack Open, then again not much for him to gain there. No idea why he didn't.

Hey, at least your head isn’t made of slush. Then you’d really be in trouble.

I was hoping this would be a cool event, but saw that VaTech was not sending any starters. Kind of killed my interest. I’m rewatching a recording of last year’s dual between the two. That one was fun.

Greg D and Saunders at 125 and 141 this past weekend for Cornell.

Vito and Yianni going 133 and 149, respectively?

Noah Adams 197 from West Virgina has quit wrestling. Police Academy. Next Mahoney.

I would guess that you have it half right: Greg D/Vito/Yianni/Richard. IMNSHO that's their best starting four. Saunders had at least one bad match, if not two on Sunday at 141, and Hunter Richard might be beating him in the room at 149. Yianni said he'll go 141 if it is best for the team.

125 - Vito
133 - Lajoie
141 - Yianni (spot duty)
149 - Hunter Richard
157 - Yapoujian
165 - Ramirez
174 - Foca
184 - Cardenas
197 - Darmstadt
285 -

Vito can win at either 125 or 133. I believe that Greg D. is better at 125 than Lajoie is at 133. Cardenas is not going to be at 184, unless he loses a leg or something. Loew beat Navy's #21 (wrestlestat #16) at 184 and pinned Binghamton's other Deprez, and solidified his spot. Fernandes is the 285: he beat Navy's 285 10-0 (and it wasn't that close), and his other two wins were 18-0 and 1:10 pin; in 2020, he lost to Kerk 6-4 as a greyshirt. He also pinned Slavilouski that year.

Yep. Didn’t even take his rs year let alone his extra year. He had two years left. But he graduated and like you said he’s going to be a state trooper. Wish him the best. Good guy.

Between him leaving and Ryan Sullivan disappearing it killed wvu. Sullivan would have I think three or maybe four years left. Surprised he hasn’t popped up on someone’s roster or in the portal. He’s damn good. It’s been awful quiet surrounding him. No idea if he’s just had enough or if he’s in trouble or whatever.

Didn’t Cardenas’ brother just commit to Stanford? I figure older brother ends up at Stanford too. He’s too good to sit a couple more years.
Vito looks like a 133 but 133 is a lot tougher than 125 except the top guy. They need to let that kid eat and lift some weights. I dont think he could win either weight. Maybe if this was freestyle.

Not his brother. Not all Cardenas' are related. And Darmstadt might be done after this year.

The so called "free" year. It was a free year eligibility wise, unfortunately in partial scholarship sports, most of the athletes are paying something out of their pocket for that "free" year. I can understand why Adams walked away and why RBY is doing the same after this season.

I can’t imagine Adams being on anything but a full ride at WV.

RBY different situation.

That might be true about Adams, no idea about WVU's finances or Flynn's allocation strategy.

OTOH: since he graduated, an extra year of wrestling means either a 1-yr master's degree which may/may not be available in his field at WVU -- or 1 yr of paid classes + 1 yr he'd have to pay for himself.

Not necessarily. He has a redshirt, right? If so, he could still be on scholarship for the second year even if he’s not eligible to compete. That’s how my scholarship was handled. They wanted me to wrestle right away, but part of the pitch in recruiting was if you do your job, stick around and use the redshirt your 5th year. Still get the scholly and just come in and work out with the guys. Kind of a student coach.

He used the shirt in his first year on campus.

Ok. I don’t follow them real close, just going by @CurtisLoew40 saying he didn’t redshirt.

Me neither, so I looked it up. WrestleStat says he shirted in 2018, and his only competition that year was in Opens.

Not a result, but noteworthy news. Iowa hired Clarissa Chun to be the women's head coach. Big hire. Hoping y'all add a program soon too.
It’s probably not happening anytime soon. Iowa added womens wrestling to address an existing Title IX inequity. Even after adding wrestling, Iowa has one less women's sport than PSU. I don’t think Penn State post-COVID athletics are in a position where adding a sport makes financial sense.

Last edited:
125: #14 Malik Heinselman OSU over #12 Sam Latona VT 5-3 OSU 3 VT 0
133: #4 Korbin Myers VT over Dylan Koontz OSU 10-2 .. OSU 3 VT 4
141: Dylan D'Emilio OSU over Gerardi VT 4-0........... OSU 6 VT 4
149: #2 Sammy Sasso OSU over #9 Bryce Andonian VT 11-7 OSU 9 VT 4
157: #29 Connor Brady VT over Bryce Hepner OSU.......3-2 OSU 9 VT 7
165: #10 Carson Karchala OSU over Claton Ulery VT.........5-2 OSU 12 VT 7
174: #4 Mehki Lewis VT over #6 Ethan Smith OSU.........6-4 OSU 12 VT 10
184: #9 Hunter Bolen VT over #21 Rocky Jordan .........7-1 OSU 12 VT 13
197: #24 Gavin Hoffman OSU over Dakota Howard 3-2 OSU 15 VT 13
285 #7 Tate Orndorff OSU over Nathan Traxler VT 3-2 OSU 18 VT 13

Karchala with a huge leg brace, Jordan got rode forever, Hoffman with about 20 minutes of blood time....Heinselman's upset over Latona the difference tonight. Some pretty exciting matches

Last edited:
Watching Iowa Vs. Princeton, Princeton looks like crap! Glory misses weight! wonder how these Ivy league teams will be after not wrestling last year?

Marinelli beats a guy named Cuomo? 12-5, but it was much closer than that ,he scored 4 back points at the buzzer. He looked gassed and not as physical. may not be healthy at this point

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Marinelli beats a guy named Cuomo? 12-5, but it was much closer than that ,he scored 4 back points at the buzzer. He looked gassed and not as physical. may not be healthy at this point
this is an insane description of that match lmao. marinelli spent 4 minutes of that match ripping that kid's shoulder off. came close to turning him 4-5 times before finally getting him at the end. and the other kid was broken. marinelli looked fresh.

for those that missed it, cassioppi turned his guy and as he was settling chest to chest to pin him the princeton kid hit a huge bridge, rolled him through, and pinned him on the edge.

Ok you live in that world . We did see a different match. He wrestled a guy named Cuomo! and he was Gassed! I assume you are an Iowa fan.
Now now........the guys on FRL said before the match....that Coumo was a guy to watch who was getting a lot of compliments from the Princeton side. They obviously knew something. Apparently Alex had enough gas to turn him after 6:50 seconds of wrestling :). "Just the Facts Maam".......Dragnet :)

Last edited:
Give that Princeton heavy some sausage and peppers!

Loved the Nickal-esque crowd shush
That pin may be huge for you guys come March. That could put Kirkvliet #3 opposite of Steveson and put Cassioppi at #4.. for both B1Gs and NCAAs.
That surprise pin by the Princeton guy may have just given you guys 4 more placement points... in a very tight team race

That pin may be huge for you guys come March. That could put Kirkvliet #3 opposite of Steveson and put Cassioppi at #4.. for both B1Gs and NCAAs.
That surprise pin by the Princeton guy may have just given you guys 4 more placement points... in a very tight team race
giphy.gif

your beloved Bucks had a wacky dual. Good win by MH.

p.s. Please destroy Michigan in football. That would be nice

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT