ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results, Iowa Ducks, Glory Holes, Turk serves his country (again), Yianni a jerk, etc.

exactly like i said. ayres is saving face for his guy and that’s fine. he’s actually one of my favorite head coaches.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69

exactly like i said. ayres is saving face for his guy and that’s fine. he’s actually one of my favorite head coaches.
So we’re taking the word of a proud member of the HWC instead? Seems legit

As an aside, dude looks like he trolls for bears at Chumley’s - not that there’s anything wrong with that ;)

Last edited:
So you are saying Glory could've made weight. Why not get easy points at 125 in a dual they are hopefully trying to win? Did coach Ayers give up before the dual even got started?
You’d have to ask Ayres that question. Are you calling him a liar?

Nothing wrong with Ayers defending his guy. What is wrong is that decision. What a stupid reason not to wrestle. Don’t kids enjoy wrestling anymore?

Serious question, but is wrestling the only sport where this happens? I don’t follow other sports too closely, but can’t remember ever hearing such an excuse from a basketball or football player.

For all the talk about Spencer ducking Glory in the past, if I was glory I’d want to go out and put an absolute beat down on the backup. i just can’t believe wrestlers mentalities have changed so much in such a short time.

As an aside, dude looks like he trolls for bears at Chumley’s - not that there’s anything wrong with that ;)
Jim Kelly is awesome! Tells it like it is. Always treated me well when I've chatted with him. I'm not afraid to throw down with most men out there, but he would be one of them! I don't think he has ever looked at a hunk of iron he didn't want to pick up. He is from PA if I remember correctly but I'm not sure of his wrestling background there.

lol yeah i’m going to take the word of a guy who was in the room over a coach protecting a mental lapse by his guy. james kelly is an extremely well respected guy in the community. glory got heckled every time he tried to talk trash during the dual last night by guys on the iowa staff and team. at one point you heard telford yell “hey glory shut up and make weight.” why? because they saw him cutting weight all afternoon in their room and not get there. either way it doesn’t matter or reflect well on glory. he cost his team 9+ pts by either not bothering or not being able to make weight.

the fact they had another starter miss weight also makes me think they had issues. first dual in two years and on the road. it’s understandable. coaches obfuscate for their own/athlete’s failure all the time. anybody on this board should understand that because cael is the most cryptic coach in the country.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
It allows Kerk to "duck" at the dual and (if he loses to Parris at B1G semi) to MFF out, and not face Cass ... protecting the seed. It may not turn out that way.. but this opens up that scenario.

2nd and 3rd seeds at nationals is going to be HUGE vs 4th and 5th seeds.
the 2nd/3rd has one hard match, semifinals. The 4th/5th have eachother in quarters and Steveson in Semis.
Positioning to get that 2nd or 3rd seed will be very important.
If I were your coaches, I would focus like a laser beam on beating Parris. If Kervliet can do that, then he may not ever have to face Cassioppi and risk losing that 2 or 3 seed.

Or I could be wrong.
Just, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the tweet about Cass getting pinnned... was the seeding at nationals and the 4 placement points.
I have a 20 dollar bill saying not wrestling Cassioppi (as in ducking) hasn't entered Cael's nor Kerk's mind.

Nothing wrong with Ayers defending his guy. What is wrong is that decision. What a stupid reason not to wrestle. Don’t kids enjoy wrestling anymore?

Serious question, but is wrestling the only sport where this happens? I don’t follow other sports too closely, but can’t remember ever hearing such an excuse from a basketball or football player.

For all the talk about Spencer ducking Glory in the past, if I was glory I’d want to go out and put an absolute beat down on the backup. i just can’t believe wrestlers mentalities have changed so much in such a short time.
This was precisely my point in calling it petty—not the tweet, but the setting aside the “I’ll beat whoever lines up accross from me” attitude that you usually see in this sport. If Glory just missed weight and Ayer’s was just trying to change the narrative, that’s something else.

Last edited:
This was precisely my point in calling it petty—not the tweet, but the setting aside the “I’ll beat whoever lines up accords from me” attitude that you usually see in this sport. If Glory just missed weight and Ayer’s was just trying to change the narrative, that’s something else.
If it was me, I’d prefer people know that I just missed weight rather than I didn’t want to wrestle.

Missing weight sucks, but for someone with a decent cut this early in the season, you can see it happening. I can’t wrap my mind around not wanting to go beat the crap out of a backup in front of 15,000 people.

So you are saying Glory could've made weight. Why not get easy points at 125 in a dual they are hopefully trying to win? Did coach Ayers give up before the dual even got started?
Trying to win what? A dual? Not throwing shade but duals are absolutely pointless in the sense that there is no reward for winning duals as a team. It’s not like the top 4 teams go to a College Wrestling Playoff. Maybe for some programs a dual win against a team like Iowa may be a national championship but it’s truly only for bragging rights. If Iowa loses that dual because they wrestled all back ups compared to number 1s from Princeton, we still be sitting here knowing Iowa would be ranked #1 and no one would question it. What are the free points in a dual especially one that on paper Princeton could have been shut out in?

Jim Kelly is awesome! Tells it like it is. Always treated me well when I've chatted with him. I'm not afraid to throw down with most men out there, but he would be one of them! I don't think he has ever looked at a hunk of iron he didn't want to pick up. He is from PA if I remember correctly but I'm not sure of his wrestling background there.
Wow, and you’re not afraid to throw down with most men out there. We should have a sticky thread for all the tough guy, country saving stuff you’ve been telling us about yourself lately

@slushhead What do you think about starting up a new one of these threads for each week, throw the dates in the title, and then let it ride from there? Seems that these all turn into discussion threads and can stray from topic, which is totally cool, with maybe 5% of the thread being the "noteworthy results". Just a thought...

Reactions: PAHURDLER
@slushhead What do you think about starting up a new one of these threads for each week, throw the dates in the title, and then let it ride from there? Seems that these all turn into discussion threads and can stray from topic, which is totally cool, with maybe 5% of the thread being the "noteworthy results". Just a thought...
Yeah, looks like this one went the way of the goldfish, too. Lemme think a while to see if I can come up with a snarkier way to create Take III. 😉

Stanford @ Cornell on ESPN+ right now.

Yianni on deck @149. Hopefully Abas gives him a good match.

Yianni won 3-1, in part on the strength of an Illegal Shoelace Grab.

Close one at 165! Freshman Julian Ramirez upsets Griffith 3-2!! Challenge by Stanford on late, non-called TD.
Non-call upheld — Ramirez with the upset. 😲

No Darmstadt tonight.

Last edited:
Stanford @ Cornell on ESPN+ right now.

Yianni on deck @149. Hopefully Abas gives him a good match.
I just turned the match on and missed the first 2 matches. I heard the announcers say Vito won by major at 133. Do you know who went at 125 and what the result was? Wondering if Greg D is at 125 for Cornell?

I just turned the match on and missed the first 2 matches. I heard the announcers say Vito won by major at 133. Do you know who went at 125 and what the result was? Wondering if Greg D is at 125 for Cornell?
greg d and he lost 3-1

Reactions: zzs006
This was precisely my point in calling it petty—not the tweet, but the setting aside the “I’ll beat whoever lines up accross from me” attitude that you usually see in this sport. If Glory just missed weight and Ayer’s was just trying to change the narrative, that’s something else.
well spencer wasnt wrestling so who cares what glory did!!

ADVERTISEMENT