ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results, Iowa Ducks, Glory Holes, Turk serves his country (again), Yianni a jerk, etc.

Young loses 6-4. CY got a takedown at the end to close the gap.. Jake Bergeland had a nice match with 2min of RT or so. Young was in on a single leg 5-6 times but couldn't finish. Welcome to D-1 Folkstyle! I thought Young would win that

Yianni’s always been a bit of a stealthy jerkoff (cameras catching him trashing Zain to his boys, often very smug remarks, etc.). I’m not surprised.
Yeah, I was snarking about his reputation before he arrived at Cornell and how it was gospel in his early years in Ithaca.

If Beau can't win, then I'm rooting for Sasso -- at least he outgrew being a jerk before he graduated HS. On second thought, he's at Ohio State, make that Tariq Wilson. But I'll still root for Sasso before Yianni.

Yeah, I was snarking about his reputation before he arrived at Cornell and how it was gospel in his early years in Ithaca.

If Beau can't win, then I'm rooting for Sasso -- at least he outgrew being a jerk before he graduated HS. On second thought, he's at Ohio State, make that Tariq Wilson. But I'll still root for Sasso before Yianni.
I really enjoy Sasso’s takes on wrestling, he preaches toughness, staying calm and being confident. Works hard, not cocky, stays true to himself and honestly a great role model for kids in PA. For a guy labeled as a problem he is nothing of that. Wish he was at PSU. Why didn’t we recruit him? 😛

Yianni’s always been a bit of a stealthy jerkoff (cameras catching him trashing Zain to his boys, often very smug remarks, etc.). I’m not surprised.
Really an unfair characterization. Yianni is a good kid and has been through some solid learning experiences in the past couple years. Guessing there is more to this than we could possibly know.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Not to mention that Yianni pulled that classless move after a match in which he did not get a single takedown. Lame.
Sorta what can happen when your opponent gets two stalling calls in the first period, and your opponent's coach seems to think that you should be penalized when your opponent grabs your shoelaces.. Do you know why Yianni did that?

Sorta what can happen when your opponent gets two stalling calls in the first period, and your opponent's coach seems to think that you should be penalized when your opponent grabs your shoelaces.. Do you know why Yianni did that?
You can make all the excuses you like, but I lost a ton of respect for Yianni because of his punk behavior tonight.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
You think Spencer needs an in-person scout for Glory? There are dozens of Pat Glory matches on the internet.
As an Iowa fan this may come as a shock to you but there are wrestlers that continue to improve throughout their entire career. Why let Spencer's teammate get experience wrestling the 2021 version of Glory which can then be personally reviewed with Lee and the coaches in the room and on video. Big difference between that and just watching videos that are now a couple years old.

Last edited:
As an Iowa fan this may come as a shock to you but there are wrestlers that continue to improve throughout their entire career. Why let Spencer's teammate get experience wrestling the 2021 version of Glory which can then be personally reviewed with Lee and the coaches in the room and on video. Big difference between that and just watching videos that are now a couple years old.
So Glory won’t wrestle at all this year until he faces Spencer? This is genius.

BTW, this puts Marinelli in the driver's seat for the #1 seed at nationals.

Where have we seen this before?

dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me-michael-clarke.gif

Not sure I agree that these two photos are directly comparable. In the 1st still shot, although off to the side, and not behind, it appears Geer had the Merkel and upper-body control, which is a takedown (Merkel substitutes for being fully behind the wrestler). In the later shot, top wrestler is clearly to the side with both his legs 90 degrees to bottom wrestler (i.e., no Merkel) - no takedown imho.

Reactions: psudotedu
Is it just me, or are many on this board extra grouchy this season? I’m just happy there’s wrestling I can watch on the weekend.
I'll admit it, I'm pretty grouchy this year. I'm grouchy because Iowa won last year. I'm grouchy because they sent 10 wrestlers to the tournament before Cael did. I'm grouchy because they look solid again this year and are the favorites. I'm grouchy because we have 4 potential problem weights. I'm grouchy because we've missed on stellar recruits lately. I'm grouchy because we may have problems next year as well. I'm grouchy because I'm starting to question the coaches. And I'm grouchy because I've come to expect the best and I've been spolied rotten. I shouldn't be so grouchy.

For anyone looking for something to do . . .

Brown vs. Purdue on now (BTN+)
Stanford vs. Binghamton on now (ESPN+)

Some others later today:
WVU vs. NC St (ESPN+/ACCX) - 1pm
Duke vs. Purdue (B1G+) - 1pm
Keystone Classic (ESPN+) - 2pm
No. Illinois vs. Purdue (B1G+) - 3pm
Campbell vs. UNC (ESPN+/ACCX) - 7pm

For anyone looking for something to do . . .

Brown vs. Purdue on now (BTN+)
Stanford vs. Binghamton on now (ESPN+)

Some others later today:
WVU vs. NC St (ESPN+/ACCX) - 1pm
Duke vs. Purdue (B1G+) - 1pm
Keystone Classic (ESPN+) - 2pm
No. Illinois vs. Purdue (B1G+) - 3pm
Campbell vs. UNC (ESPN+/ACCX) - 7pm
Daktonics open if Flo lots of starters from ISU, Uni, Nebraska. Then some others sprinkled in.

And for anyone keeping tabs on Stanford . . . Woods still not wrestling, and according to commentator, Griffith “rumored” likely to sit. The latter did undergo concussion protocol midway through his match vs. Ramirez yesterday, and so sitting today not a surprise.

EDIT: Griffith did sit this one out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT