ADVERTISEMENT

Obit Thread: R.I.P. Peter Tork

The Monkees (without Mike Nesmith) gave a free New Year's Eve street concert in Tempe (along with the Gin Blossoms, LeAnn Rimes and several other groups) the night before Penn State beat Texas in the 1997 Fiesta Bowl.
David Jones of The Patriot News kept getting phone calls in his hotel room from fans looking for Davy Jones.

They had some of the best songwriters in the world writing for the show including Carole King/Jerry Goffin. But late 60s was the era of singer songwriters so they didn't get any respect. Now we know how good those songs were because everybody still knows the tunes and words 50 years later.

Tork actually bought out the last 3 years of his contract to escape the Monkees. Pretty cool guy.

Hey, hey, .......
A friend of mine saw one of those concerts. He asked me if I could guess who Hendrix opened for at a concert he saw when he was in high school. I told him the Monkees, and he was surprised I knew that, although I thought that was a commonly known ironic fact from that era.

They had some of the best songwriters in the world writing for the show including Carole King/Jerry Goffin. But late 60s was the era of singer songwriters so they didn't get any respect. Now we know how good those songs were because everybody still knows the tunes and words 50 years later.

Tork actually bought out the last 3 years of his contract to escape the Monkees. Pretty cool guy.
Boyce and Hart and Neil Sedaka as well I believe.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Saw them a few times and always a fun show. Always thought it was cool that they couldn't play any instruments for the most part when they were brought together for the TV show but then learned to play and eventually insisted on playing themselves on later albums. I just read Peter fought a rare form of tongue cancer for many years. Mickey and Mike are playing a show out in Lancaster in early March and saw the ad for it and at the time wondered why it didn't include Peter since he was a regular with them, unfortunately now I know. RIP Peter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT