ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Observations: Rose Bowl

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Still in LA so this will be short.

• Hats off to Sean Clifford who played, not only his best game of his career but one of the best QB performances in a key game we've ever seen.
  • The team came to play. So did Utah. Great to see two motivated teams in a bowl game.
  • Utah fans were great. When we said "We Are"...they responded with "Third Place!" Pretty funny.
  • Most of the Ute fans felt we had them if Cam got hurt or not. But when Cam got hurt, it was clearly game over. Cam, BTW, looks like he is going to require surgery. He got hurt against tOSU last year and the team collapsed with him out. Kid is good. He is really slippery. It seemed like we had him pinned and he'd squeeze out and make a play. Utes absolutely love this kid. And if he needs surgery will assuredly come back next year.
  • Good on CJF. The team was prepared. It was a VERY clean game by PSU after several times when we were unprepared after layoffs. No turnovers, few penalties and almost no mistakes. Very crisp.
  • I know he won a citrus bowl but that was against Memphis. We haven't won a good bowl game since Washington, IMHO.
  • Regardless of Cam getting hurt, which is the story of the game, most Ute fans thought we had them. We were outperforming them and getting stronger as they were declining.
  • Rose bowl is really cool but it does have its issues. It reminded me of the big house but in CA. It is in a big valley with nothing in the area. As soon as you leave the seating area, you our outside in the food court. Nice but they push you out after the game and there is nothing in the area. Getting an Uber means a LONG walk up a hill and complete confusion in the dark and rain. I was with a 73 year old guy who was a trooper but it made for a long and wet evening.
  • Kids looked THRILLED in the post game. Fans gave them a great ovation.
  • Had to laugh...CJF took out SC to a great ovation and put in Allar. Great move. Then Utah called timeout and that kind of quashed the event.

• I'll watch the game on TV and post a longer review. The Rose Bowl was the worst I've ever seen at replays. So you had to see it in real-time and that was pretty much it. I have no idea what happened on Singleton's long run to break him open. But on one TD, we could see SC look into the flat and the CB or S jump the route. The receiver turned it upfield and was wide open for a long TD. You could see both SC and the Reciever kind of non-verbally communicate and the play turn wide open.

As others have said, the future looks really good.

I have no idea what happened on Singleton's long run to break him open.

Shelton pancakes his man on a down block. Johnson scrapes a LB and gets a block on the FS. Whole OL didn't allow anybody to bust the play up. Singleton also made a great read on which hole to hit.

Also, Singleton looks to have finally added the subtleties that Allen has had all year to his running. Vision and decisiveness were great. He hit the line hard instead of waiting. This was against a great rush defense that played 8 in the box a lot.

• Hats off to Sean Clifford who played, not only his best game of his career but one of the best QB performances in a key game we've ever seen.
  • The team came to play. So did Utah. Great to see two motivated teams in a bowl game.
  • Utah fans were great. When we said "We Are"...they responded with "Third Place!" Pretty funny.
  • Most of the Ute fans felt we had them if Cam got hurt or not. But when Cam got hurt, it was clearly game over. Cam, BTW, looks like he is going to require surgery. He got hurt against tOSU last year and the team collapsed with him out. Kid is good. He is really slippery. It seemed like we had him pinned and he'd squeeze out and make a play. Utes absolutely love this kid. And if he needs surgery will assuredly come back next year.
  • Good on CJF. The team was prepared. It was a VERY clean game by PSU after several times when we were unprepared after layoffs. No turnovers, few penalties and almost no mistakes. Very crisp.
  • I know he won a citrus bowl but that was against Memphis. We haven't won a good bowl game since Washington, IMHO.
  • Regardless of Cam getting hurt, which is the story of the game, most Ute fans thought we had them. We were outperforming them and getting stronger as they were declining.
  • Rose bowl is really cool but it does have its issues. It reminded me of the big house but in CA. It is in a big valley with nothing in the area. As soon as you leave the seating area, you our outside in the food court. Nice but they push you out after the game and there is nothing in the area. Getting an Uber means a LONG walk up a hill and complete confusion in the dark and rain. I was with a 73 year old guy who was a trooper but it made for a long and wet evening.
  • Had to laugh...CJF took out SC to a great ovation and put in Allar. Great move. Then Utah called timeout and that kind of quashed the event.

• I'll watch the game on TV and post a longer review. The Rose Bowl was the worst I've ever seen at replays. So you had to see it in real-time and that was pretty much it. I have no idea what happened on Singleton's long run to break him open. But on one TD, we could see SC look into the flat and the CB or S jump the route. The receiver turned it upfield and was wide open for a long TD. You could see both SC and the Reciever kind of non-verbally communicate and the play turn wide open.

Glad you had a good time, my eldest son was at the game. haven't had a chance to talk to him about it yet.

Reactions: Obliviax

One correction: PSU beat Memphis in the Cotton Bowl.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Shelton pancakes his man on a down block. Johnson scrapes a LB and gets a block on the FS. Whole OL didn't allow anybody to bust the play up. Singleton also made a great read on which hole to hit.

Also, Singleton looks to have finally added the subtleties that Allen has had all year to his running. Vision and decisiveness were great. He hit the line hard instead of waiting. This was against a great rush defense that played 8 in the box a lot.
Singleton learned to see the hole instead of running exactly where the play was designed…..which is what he did in high school. In college, the D line does a lot more stunting and shifting so often the O line has to push a D lineman through the hole. …. So the backs have to see that and cut to where the hole develops. Singleton started doing that about mid season.

I'll watch the game on TV and post a longer review. The Rose Bowl was the worst I've ever seen at replays. So you had to see it in real-time and that was pretty much it. I have no idea what happened on Singleton's long run to break him open. But on one TD, we could see SC look into the flat and the CB or S jump the route. The receiver turned it upfield and was wide open for a long TD. You could see both SC and the Reciever kind of non-verbally communicate and the play turn wide open.
Franklin and Yurcich talked about Singleton's long TD run in the post game. The defense came out in a stacked box with all 11 within 5 yards of the LOS. Yurcich stated this wasn't the best matchup for the play because Utah had 2 extra hats vs. PSU's blockers and they immediately worried they had the wrong play called. PSU did a "check with me" look to the sidelines which prompted 3 Utah players to look to the Utah sideline. However this was a designed fake check to the sidelines and instead PSU quickly snapped the ball which worked beautifully. 3 Utah players were looking at their sideline right up until the ball was snapped. The single safety seemed caught off guard by the quick snap, basically eliminated himself from the play and ran up to tackle Clifford in case he pulled the ball, taking care of one of the extra hats. Theo Johnson essentially sealed off 2 players, one of which had been looking at the sideline. With that 2 for 1 block PSU had hat on a hat, Singleton got through the LOS and with no safety help he was gone.

On the long pass play KLS ran a double move slant and go. The safety bit on the slant and had an eye on Clifford so he didn't follow KLS who was wide open. It was the same safety that was out of position on Singleton's run.

Cam Rising plays with a smile, really enjoys the game. But I got tired of seeing him work the refs after every play, that was pussysh-- football. And their punter -- egregious -- that guy wants to be in movies more than he wants to play football. Glad the crew didn't buy it. The crew called a really good game and stayed out of the way.

RE: Rising injury...he was 8 of 21 passing while he was in and he wasn't going to cover Lambert-Smith or catch Singleton from behind. We called off the dogs early in Q4. There were guys playing that I didn't even remember. Rising maybe makes it a closer game, but we were winning that game with or without him in there.

Cam Rising plays with a smile, really enjoys the game. But I got tired of seeing him work the refs after every play, that was pussysh-- football. And their punter -- egregious -- that guy wants to be in movies more than he wants to play football. Glad the crew didn't buy it. The crew called a really good game and stayed out of the way.
The punter stayed in character all the way to the bench. He was really selling it.

RE: Rising injury...he was 8 of 21 passing while he was in and he wasn't going to cover Lambert-Smith or catch Singleton from behind. We called off the dogs early in Q4. There were guys playing that I didn't even remember. Rising maybe makes it a closer game, but we were winning that game with or without him in the game.
He was a fighter and hard to tackle. But his passing was really poor. Lots of passes weren’t even close.

Thanks OBI, I always look forward to your reviews.

Haven't seen it mentioned but Lambert-Smith finished the season with two excellent games. He's been steadily improving all season, ball skills, route-running. If he can play like this consistently next year he's an all-B1G wideout. And throws a beautiful ball too -- hopefully we haven't seen the last TD pass from him.

Franklin and Yurcich talked about Singleton's long TD run in the post game. The defense came out in a stacked box with all 11 within 5 yards of the LOS. Yurcich stated this wasn't the best matchup for the play because Utah had 2 extra hats vs. PSU's blockers and they immediately worried they had the wrong play called. PSU did a "check with me" look to the sidelines which prompted 3 Utah players to look to the Utah sideline. However this was a designed fake check to the sidelines and instead PSU quickly snapped the ball which worked beautifully. 3 Utah players were looking at their sideline right up until the ball was snapped. The single safety seemed caught off guard by the quick snap, basically eliminated himself from the play and ran up to tackle Clifford in case he pulled the ball, taking care of one of the extra hats. Theo Johnson essentially sealed off 2 players, one of which had been looking at the sideline. With that 2 for 1 block PSU had hat on a hat, Singleton got through the LOS and with no safety help he was gone.

On the long pass play KLS ran a double move slant and go. The safety bit on the slant and had an eye on Clifford so he didn't follow KLS who was wide open. It was the same safety that was out of position on Singleton's run.
As Maxwell Smart would say, the ole fake check to the sidelines play, hmmm.

He was a fighter and hard to tackle. But his passing was really poor. Lots of passes weren’t even close.
His arm isn't great but his running ability kind of makes up for it. Somewhat reminiscent of McSorley though Trace was a more accurate thrower.

Really though Utah's trouble throwing the ball was mostly the PSU secondary. When they weren't pushing off the Utah receivers had a lot of trouble getting open.

Haven't seen it mentioned but Lambert-Smith finished the season with two excellent games. He's been steadily improving all season, ball skills, route-running. If he can play like this consistently next year he's an all-B1G wideout. And throws a beautiful ball too -- hopefully we haven't seen the last TD pass from him.

All of our WRs look better when the QB throws on time and accurately. Clifford had 5 incompletions yesterday and 3 were drops. He overthrew Tinsley deep and then plopped one over the middle where he missed 3 of our guys, who were all relatively open.

KLS looks poised to fulfill his original promise. Opportunity will be kind to him.

While we missed Washington, it allowed Clifford to spread the ball. He's always favored 1 WR.

The punter…….We’ll, they were playing in Hollywood, after all. — auditioning after entering a “different “ portal . Just sayin 😎

I'm not a big fan of Franklin or Clifford. I've stated why and won't reiterate it here. But that was a complete ass kicking against a physical and pretty talented Utah team.

By far the best game of Clifford's career against a good opponent. That might get him drafted, might.

Franklin had the team prepared and focused. They played disciplined, even through the post whistle stuff. The team took the best Utah had and didn't fold. MY figured out how to keep Clifford upright and open holes for the run game. Manny figured out how to get pressure on Rising and limit the run.

This is the best and most complete win by Franklin, staff, and players. Even better than OSU in 2016. September is a long ways away, but I hope they can keep playing like this.

A similar team performance as last night would have beaten OSU and at least hung tough with Michigan with a good chance to win that game.

He overthrew Tinsley deep and then plopped one over the middle where he missed 3 of our guys, who were all relatively open.
I replayed this one and I think the WR crossing from the left was the target and he just never saw the ball go right past him.

Reactions: lazydave841
I'm not a big fan of Franklin or Clifford. I've stated why and won't reiterate it here. But that was a complete ass kicking against a physical and pretty talented Utah team.

By far the best game of Clifford's career against a good opponent. That might get him drafted, might.

Franklin had the team prepared and focused. They played disciplined, even through the post whistle stuff. The team took the best Utah had and didn't fold. MY figured out how to keep Clifford upright and open holes for the run game. Manny figured out how to get pressure on Rising and limit the run.

This is the best and most complete win by Franklin, staff, and players. Even better than OSU in 2016. September is a long ways away, but I hope they can keep playing like this.

A similar team performance as last night would have beaten OSU and at least hung tough with Michigan with a good chance to win that game.
Hey, what did you do to the real PAgeologist?

Not to mention the incredibly short check to the sideline that looke planned. Utah relaxed for that short moment that all do and BLAM, SC quick snaps and let the pancakes and bulldozing begin.

Thing of beauty.

Clifford's performance in the first half was nearly perfect. Utah was bringing the pressure and he stood in and decisevely delivered several passes through very narrow windows. That was really impressive. To be honest his long passes in the second half were easier throws.

Props to the OL. PSU was missing a couple of starters and the replacements did the job.

IMO optimism about 2023 is premature. What are we going to do at DT next year? Franklin already says we're too small. Mustipher is gone and he weighs 315. Beamon only weighs 264. We also need a top WR. Will Jacobs and Isaac stay? Replacing Scruggs and Jayir Brown won't be easy.

The Rose Bowl is so antiquated there is simply not enough room. 25 minute wait for the restroom. 25 minute wait to get a hot dog. Wish the weather was better but the win was great. Utah hung tough but I felt we were in control after the Singleton run. Utah had no downfield passing threat so they needed to rely on methodically driving the length of the field and PSU was not going to let them in the second half.

Another weird quirk of the stadium is when you are outside in the concession area you cannot hear the crowd. I was unfortunately getting a hot dog and missed the Singleton run (issue being it took me almost an hour to go to the bathroom and get a hot dog) and you could not hear the crowd cheering and I was in the concession area right outside the PSU section. You kind of heard some cheering from people above but bizarrely quiet.

I replayed this one and I think the WR crossing from the left was the target and he just never saw the ball go right past him.

What did we run, double crosses with a TE In behind it? Just odd that we had 3 options about 6 yards apart in a triangle shape by the time the pass got there.

IMO optimism about 2023 is premature. What are we going to do at DT next year? Franklin already says we're too small. Mustipher is gone and he weighs 315. Beamon only weighs 264. We also need a top WR. Will Jacobs and Isaac stay? Replacing Scruggs and Jayir Brown won't be easy.

Premature for sure. Many less holes to fill compared to this time in '22.

RB - from zero to hero
OL - liability to growing strength at 60%
DT - same as last year. PJ was not his '21 self at any point this year.
WR - replacing Washington isn't the task replacing Dotson was
Secondary - JPJ and Tig are the biggest losses. Plenty of depth however should ease the transition.

Very well summarized. I saw watching it live that we fooled them on the snap which was a huge part of why the play worked.

Not to keep bashing Herbstreit, we do that enough here and I know some people enjoy his act but right after the PAT they came back from the break with the replay and he was crying foul...holding on Theo Johnson. So here I am bashing Herbie. That's his opinion I guess, but when else does he call out teams for holding on scoring plays? Never. He's a cheerleader.

Very well summarized. I saw watching it live that we fooled them on the snap which was a huge part of why the play worked.

Not to keep bashing Herbstreit, we do that enough here and I know some people enjoy his act but right after the PAT they came back from the break with the replay and he was crying foul...holding on Theo Johnson. So here I am bashing Herbie. That's his opinion I guess, but when else does he call out teams for holding on scoring plays? Never. He's a cheerleader.
it was more surprising to hear witvoet say it was nothing.

Right when he highlighted that hold, I said to myself "I've never seen kirk do this" not only when discussing Ohio state or even Michigan. I think there is a sentiment in the sport media not to promote PSU too much, whether its Midwestern blokes from other cities that support a big ten team or the large comtogent of sports reporters from Syracuse/Big east/acc footprints. We know why, they don't want the hype train to come to penn state because that hurts the programs they root for.

Right when he highlighted that hold, I said to myself "I've never seen kirk do this" not only when discussing Ohio state or even Michigan. I think there is a sentiment in the sport media not to promote PSU too much, whether its Midwestern blokes from other cities that support a big ten team or the large contigent of sports reporters from Syracuse/Big east/acc footprints. We know why, they don't want the hype train to come to penn state

Tell that to USC
they lost to memphis? seriously, they didn't want to be there. nobody cared. there was no upside. they phoned it in. I'll be USC wouldn't be ringing any victory bells had they won.

ADVERTISEMENT