ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Observations: Rose Bowl

Great to read your observations Obli. Pretty spot on.
Who's this new poster?

Hope things are well with you and your family.
What's the latest with your son? Last I read was before Covid and he was going to California, Pa. (I believe).

I know he’s fast but I’m not sure how fast yet. To me eyes Carter was the fastest back I saw, then Barkley. I think Carter ran faster in the forty but Barkley did stumble in both of his combine runs.
I’d like to see his forty times but he obviously has great football speed.
Track star in HS. 10.21 100 meters, 4.59 40.

Who's this new poster?

Hope things are well with you and your family.
What's the latest with your son? Last I read was before Covid and he was going to California, Pa. (I believe).
It didn’t work out on that front. He is now in HVAC school and a few months from graduating. It’s been a minute, or 2 years since I posted but I’m glad to post again. Missed everybody.

It didn’t work out on that front. He is now in HVAC school and a few months from graduating. It’s been a minute, or 2 years since I posted but I’m glad to post again. Missed everybody.
Good honest living. Good for him.
Stay around for a bit.

Still in LA so this will be short.

• Hats off to Sean Clifford who played, not only his best game of his career but one of the best QB performances in a key game we've ever seen.
  • The team came to play. So did Utah. Great to see two motivated teams in a bowl game.
  • Utah fans were great. When we said "We Are"...they responded with "Third Place!" Pretty funny.
  • Most of the Ute fans felt we had them if Cam got hurt or not. But when Cam got hurt, it was clearly game over. Cam, BTW, looks like he is going to require surgery. He got hurt against tOSU last year and the team collapsed with him out. Kid is good. He is really slippery. It seemed like we had him pinned and he'd squeeze out and make a play. Utes absolutely love this kid. And if he needs surgery will assuredly come back next year.
  • Good on CJF. The team was prepared. It was a VERY clean game by PSU after several times when we were unprepared after layoffs. No turnovers, few penalties and almost no mistakes. Very crisp.
  • I know he won a citrus bowl but that was against Memphis. We haven't won a good bowl game since Washington, IMHO.
  • Regardless of Cam getting hurt, which is the story of the game, most Ute fans thought we had them. We were outperforming them and getting stronger as they were declining.
  • Rose bowl is really cool but it does have its issues. It reminded me of the big house but in CA. It is in a big valley with nothing in the area. As soon as you leave the seating area, you our outside in the food court. Nice but they push you out after the game and there is nothing in the area. Getting an Uber means a LONG walk up a hill and complete confusion in the dark and rain. I was with a 73 year old guy who was a trooper but it made for a long and wet evening.
  • Kids looked THRILLED in the post game. Fans gave them a great ovation.
  • Had to laugh...CJF took out SC to a great ovation and put in Allar. Great move. Then Utah called timeout and that kind of quashed the event.

• I'll watch the game on TV and post a longer review. The Rose Bowl was the worst I've ever seen at replays. So you had to see it in real-time and that was pretty much it. I have no idea what happened on Singleton's long run to break him open. But on one TD, we could see SC look into the flat and the CB or S jump the route. The receiver turned it upfield and was wide open for a long TD. You could see both SC and the Reciever kind of non-verbally communicate and the play turn wide open.

As others have said, the future looks really good.
My buddy went to the Rose Bowl this year and had a good time but also had some negative experiences. First, upon pulling up in the buses in front of LA Live some derelict pulled up on a bike and started screaming at everyone to give him a dollar and if they didn't they were racist. Security had to deal with this guy.
Then he takes his son to Santa Monica and gets accosted again. This time some clown tells he and his son, "congratulations to Penn State, you finally got rid of your child predator coach." Welcome to Cali.

My buddy went to the Rose Bowl this year and had a good time but also had some negative experiences. First, upon pulling up in the buses in front of LA Live some derelict pulled up on a bike and started screaming at everyone to give him a dollar and if they didn't they were racist. Security had to deal with this guy.
Then he takes his son to Santa Monica and gets accosted again. This time some clown tells he and his son, "congratulations to Penn State, you finally got rid of your child predator coach." Welcome to Cali.
They actually think JoePa assaulted kids. Thanks BOT.

honestly, you think Tulane has better players than USC? I am not buying it. They phoned it in.

Regardless, it was a crappy bowl with two crappy teams. It certainly didn't elevate USC's program and us beating Memphis didn't elevate ours.
It was the last game for two IMPACT players: Micah Parsons and Journey Brown. They both were phenomenal that day.

Reactions: CbusLion10
ADVERTISEMENT