ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Indiana Game Thread

I am very happy to be 5-0 but very unhappy with the run game. Too many 2 yard gains and losses in the backfield largely due to blown blocking assignments and odd cuts by our rbs. This inconsistency will get us a big L soon.
Some here don’t see/share your wisdom.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Stacking up to be another year where our b1g opponents are called for zero OL holding penalties, while PSU is called for multiple holds wiping out TDs, big plays.... killing drives, etc... Next week it's going to be brutal with Iowa holding on an every play basis - no flags.....

Iowa's will be the best defense PSU has faced this season. You know that pick Clifford threw tonite? Those are the type of plays that Iowa's secondary has feasted on so far this season. They create turnovers and live on their defense. Iowa's offense doesn't scare me too much, though that Goodson kid is pretty damn good. My biggest concern is with the offensive line getting zero push in the running game in short yardage situations. I'm amazed that the numbers say 200 yards rushing tonight. But if you throw out Lee's 44-yard run and Clifford's scrambling, the yards per rush on the rest of them isn't all that impressive. Would be great to see more counters and traps rather than the long developing wide side run to the left that continually gets blown up.
I understand what your saying but you can’t pick and choose what plays to toss out to fit a narrative you may have. Those plays happened so they count. You take what the defense gives you. I just happen to think this team is solid and wouldn’t be shocked if they played well and won in Iowa. Defense travels.

PSU rushing game tonight (carries/ yards)-

Lee- 8/ 74. (Avg- 9.3. Long- 44)
Clifford- 10/ 58. (Avg- 5.8. Long- 18)
Lovett- 9/ 31. (Avg- 3.4. Long- 13)
Cain- 11/ 23. (Avg- 2.1. Long- 9)
Ford- 1/ 12. (Avg- 12. Long- 12)
Dotson- 1/ 1. (Avg- 1. Long- 1)
Warren- 1/0. (Avg- 0. Long- 0)

Total- 41 carries for 198 yards

Iowa's will be the best defense PSU has faced this season. You know that pick Clifford threw tonite? Those are the type of plays that Iowa's secondary has feasted on so far this season. They create turnovers and live on their defense. Iowa's offense doesn't scare me too much, though that Goodson kid is pretty damn good. My biggest concern is with the offensive line getting zero push in the running game in short yardage situations. I'm amazed that the numbers say 200 yards rushing tonight. But if you throw out Lee's 44-yard run and Clifford's scrambling, the yards per rush on the rest of them isn't all that impressive. Would be great to see more counters and traps rather than the long developing wide side run to the left that continually gets blown up.
Of course you could look at it a different way…Clifford did not play exceptionally well and missed some open receivers…but he may not do that next week. He may catch fire and hit all those receivers. We may also have our RB’s not miss so many open holes and our offense explodes. I know it’s easy to focus on the negatives, but we didn’t play exceptionally well and still won 24-0. There is a chance we play well next week…I know, amazing concept. And there’s a good chance we don’t have any turnovers…I know, novel concept.

To use a technical term, most of you guys are a bunch of dopes.

PSU soundly beat a decent Indiana squad and shut them out. PSU will be ranked number 3 in the country tomorrow. PSU will be playing the number 4 team in the country on the road next week. It is possible that PSU will lose. This doesn’t mean the players suck and the coaches are morons. The other team had guys on scholarship too. It is very rare for a team to dominate in all phases on the game week in and week out. If you don’t like it, go root for Bama.

Pal, I only said the poster may be right. I'm happy that we are 5-0. But am I satisfied of our overall play??? No. We can be a should be better.. Are you satisfied with our overall play?

We are doing exactly what we need to do to win. We worked on the running game quite a bit against a quality opponent at the expense of our passing game, clearly the strength of the offense.

Maybe we don't produce the same defensive touchdowns as Iowa, but our offense is a whole lot more inspiring than the one they field.

I do think that it's going to be a slobber knocker next week, but I don't think we get exposed. We left a lot off the table tonight as Indiana's base defense is the same as Iowa's. No bubble screens at all tonight. We didn't run the bootleg with the TE. We got Lee running strong and better run blocking than we've seen all year, yet we didn't keep running Lee. We didn't even challenge the C2 deep really.

I'm satisfied with where we are. We don't seem to be the type of team that is going to blow people out, but we aren't leaving our defense on the field for 95 plays either. Week to week improvement has been accomplished.

If I told you we were going to be undefeated and going into Kinnick for a top 5 matchup 8 weeks ago, you would have bet me a liar.

While still not stellar, the running game took a step forward tonight - another positive.

The D is opportunistic…they have their flaws, but are terrific on all levels - another positive.

Not concerned about Clifford’s game…if this is his worst game of the season, he’ll be fine - another positive.

SHUT OUT!!!

I understand what your saying but you can’t pick and choose what plays to toss out to fit a narrative you may have. Those plays happened so they count. You take what the defense gives you. I just happen to think this team is solid and wouldn’t be shocked if they played well and won in Iowa. Defense travels.
Yes, defense does travel and I can see this game as very similar to the game against Wisconsin. Iowa's D is better than Wisky's. I have confidence in this experienced group to do what will be necessary to walk out of that snakepit a winner.

Apparently we’re only happy with RB’s that can do what Barkley did, QB’s that can do what Trace did, the defense that can do what our current defense can do, and the special teams that can do what our current team can do. Every year needs to be a conglomeration of the best years in the past.

Reactions: PSU Soupy

Since we are picking and choosing, let's remove Cain's 11/23 and recalculate everything.

Works both ways, right?

So PSU hands off the ball to a tailback and he tries to run for a couple of yards by himself….there are no other PSU linemen in the vicinity.

Is this part of Yurchich’s run philosophy? If so, I’ve already seen enough.

OC Hires under Franklin

Donovan
Moorhead
Rahne
Ciarocca
Yurchich

1 out of 5 (20%) isn’t good by any measure

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
So PSU hands off the ball to a tailback and he tries to run for a couple of yards by himself….there are no other PSU linemen in the vicinity.

OC Hires under Franklin

Donovan
Moorhead
Rahne
Ciarocca
Yurchich

Or one poster (BW Lion) thinks he’s an expert and really isn’t….geez, I wonder which percentage is more realistic.

OC Hires under Franklin

Donovan
Moorhead
Rahne
Ciarocca
Yurchich

you're not even trying at this point, seriously, its embarrassing, I am embarrassed on your behalf

Stacking up to be another year where our b1g opponents are called for zero OL holding penalties, while PSU is called for multiple holds wiping out TDs, big plays.... killing drives, etc... Next week it's going to be brutal with Iowa holding on an every play basis - no flags.....
Amazing isn’t it…and AE#17 was held on nearly every play…yet we got called the holds…just so GD crooked.

Reactions: creamery freak

If you segment some of the positive runs I would suggest removing all of Noah Cain runs. He was not close to being himself

If you segment some of the positive runs I would suggest removing all of Noah Cain runs. He was not close to being himself
Agree...not sure why he's seeing the field at this point..23 yds on 11 carries tonite

Only disappoint I have from last night, the 1 for 5 in short yard situations. Please stop with the wildcat #44

Reactions: Madsol
Only disappoint I have from last night, the 1 for 5 in short yard situations. Please stop with the wildcat #44

Agree. Or at least do something else out of the wildcat. Warren's a versatile athlete. Do something different.

While still not stellar, the running game took a step forward tonight - another positive.

The D is opportunistic…they have their flaws, but are terrific on all levels - another positive.

Not concerned about Clifford’s game…if this is his worst game of the season, he’ll be fine - another positive.

SHUT OUT!!!
I am GLAD Clifford didnt play perfect last night!

The Film study today will help him and he will be more dialed in and crisp next Saturday afternoon!

ADVERTISEMENT