ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Indiana Game Thread

And to think certain Indiana fans came here expressing outrage that we would even suggest that their lunatic coach teaches such crap. It was a blatant tactic to get PSU players out of the game, even for just one play.
Along those lines, can someone please explain the purpose of making a players who’s helmet comes off sit for one play? Dumbest rule ever. I know it’s part of the concussion protocol deal, but if the helmet came off without a hit or some other non collision reason, sitting out a play is stupid.

It was the Illinois coach but it wasn't Zook. Tim Beckman.
You are correct. Per Wiki

Beckman was hired on December 9, 2011, by Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas.[13] Prior to the start of the 2012 season, Beckman sent six Illinois assistant coaches to State College, Pennsylvania to recruit Penn State football players who the NCAA deemed eligible to transfer without missing playing time due to the Penn State child sex abuse scandal.[14][15] In October 2012 season, Illinois self-reported secondary violations to the NCAA as television cameras caught Beckman using chewing tobacco on the sidelines during a football game at Wisconsin.[16][17]

He's now the Defensive Secondary Coach / Recruiting Coordinator for the 0-5 Western Carolina Catamounts

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
HA! I love it. I went to a Catholic high school and one of the teachers was a nun with one of those Sally Field Flying Nun starched headdresses, except that it had a large cavity on top, something like a ship's smokestack, instead of wings. We used to shoot spitballs into the top of her headdress, and we got quite good at it. Apparently she would carefully take it off every night without tipping it. After a few weeks she bent over one day in class to pick up a piece of chalk and the whole pile of spitballs rolled out. We got a visit from the principal. It was less dangerous than your needle but probably more sacrilegious. In my Catholic grade school we were served hot lunches every day, often with a vegetable medley of boiled peas, corn, and small cubes of carrots - you know the mixture I am describing. We would use our forks as catapults to launch the veggies vertically and score points by how many we got to stick into the small holes in the ceiling tiles. After months, the principal looked up one day and saw an entire mosaic of veggies on the ceiling. It was abeautiful Van Gogh Starry Night galaxy of veggies. We had to stand on the table after school for days meticulously picking them out. This was not a sin of sacrilege but, according to the sermon/lecture we got while cleaning the ceiling, one of wasting food. The parhs to Hell are many and various.
Great line, beautiful visual!✨🌌

Along those lines, can someone please explain the purpose of making a players who’s helmet comes off sit for one play? Dumbest rule ever. I know it’s part of the concussion protocol deal, but if the helmet came off without a hit or some other non collision reason, sitting out a play is stupid.
Some kids used to loosen their chin straps. Or not even use one. A loose helmet doesn’t do a lot of good. This makes them keep the straps properly adjusted.

Some kids used to loosen their chin straps. Or not even use one. A loose helmet doesn’t do a lot of good. This makes them keep the straps properly adjusted.
Yet helmets come off when it’s no fault of the helmet wearer but he has to sit for a play. I still think it’s a dumb rule….right up there with the two minute warning in the NFL.

Dotson had his helmet pulled off by an IU defender that grabbed his facemask. The facemask penalty was missed by the officials, and PSU got the penalty by having Dotson sit for a play. Stupid rule, unless there is a penalty on the defense for every time a defender grabs a helmet.

Dotson had his helmet pulled off by an IU defender that grabbed his facemask. The facemask penalty was missed by the officials, and PSU got the penalty by having Dotson sit for a play. Stupid rule, unless there is a penalty on the defense for every time a defender grabs a helmet.
Good point. I don't remember the exact play in which the 2 Penn State players lost their helmets, but I do know that no penalty was called on an Indiana defender.

Perhaps these helmet tugs (like the one someone posted here of a Bosa Boy yanking Hackenberg's helmet) are not really penalties. You know , according to the Big Ten rule book created in 1993:

from page 371, section VI, paragraph 4:

1. When an offensive lineman grabs a rushing defensive player who is wearing a generic white helmet, there is no penalty fo holding.

2. If a player wearing a generic white helmet is hit late out of bounds, whether by a defensive or an offensive player, there is no penalty for a personal foul.

3. When a quarterback who is wearing a generic white helmet slides at the end of a run, the defense is permitted to make contact with said QB without incurring a penalty.

4. If a ball hits the ground on a passing play, the pass attempt or the interception attempt is ruled incomplete. NOTE: the exception to this rule allows such a pass attempt to hit the ground and be ruled a completed pass or an interception if the outcome is then unfavorable to a player wearing a generic white helmet.

5. All successful, impactful plays made by a player wearing a generic white helmet are subject to review regardless of how obvious such plays appear to be. Decision of the replay official is final.

since we are discussing rules, why is it not ok to trip a ball carrier? its ok to grab at the ankles or strike them with your forearm but not with your own ankle...just seems weird...

since we are discussing rules, why is it not ok to trip a ball carrier? its ok to grab at the ankles or strike them with your forearm but not with your own ankle...just seems weird...

What do you think would happen if we put Stout in the game as a linebacker and we used him to bring guys down with his foot?

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
I get your point and I watched 15 go wild v Maryland. I also watched UCLA last night, a good running team. They knock guys off the line of scrimmage.
I had State 3-2 at this point so I’m having a great time but not running the ball is a HUGE problem. IMO we beat iowa cause their QB is terrible but raise your hand if you think we beat OSU. Me neither.
Love a NY6 but to get it we have to beat UMICH and Iowa.

Interesting tidbit, never thought about that.
Thanks for the compliment. I always scored slightly higher on the verbal than the math portions of the SAT and GRE, which I guess is uncommon for a physicist, and I do love a well-crafted phrase.
As an engineer, I think PHYSICISTS RULE THE WORLD. Seriously, without them and scientists the great achievements the world has known in the last century would not have come to fruition.

Excellent response my friend,
Rounded numbers are the engineer’s friend, especially when one’s life starts with a slide rule….three significant numbers

God Speed

If you add the +C when doing the score integral, it's 25, because C has gotta be worth at least a point, no?

Interesting tidbit, never thought about that.

As an engineer, I think PHYSICISTS RULE THE WORLD. Seriously, without them and scientists the great achievements the world has known in the last century would not have come to fruition.
It is a bit more complex than that, Step. Physicists try to uncover and quantify the basic rules. Engineers take those rules and make things that (mostly) improve our lives. Financiers capitalize the process and make money from the results, and politicians take the credit. It may not be a perfect system, and could use some fine tuning, but it works.

Edit for LionJim: Mathematicians provide the basic tools that physicists and engineers use. It is amazing how often pure mathematics developed for its own sake and beauty eventually gets adopted by physicists and engineers.

Last edited:
It is a bit more complex than that, Step. Physicists try to uncover and quantify the basic rules. Engineers take those rules and make things that (mostly) improve our lives. Financiers capitalize the process and make money from the results, and politicians take the credit. It may not be a perfect system, and could use some fine tuning, but it works.

Edit for LionJim: Mathematicians provide the basic tools that physicists and engineers use. It is amazing how often pure mathematics developed for its own sake and beauty eventually gets adopted by physicists and engineers.
One minor correction. Engineers design things that mostly improve our lives but skilled labor is what builds them.

Reactions: Leo Ridens
ADVERTISEMENT