ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Iowa Game Thread

Keep calling for the backups you ASSWADS.
Can you read? I wasn't calling for the backup, that is unless PSU is playing with a QB that can't hit the broad side of a barn (see Roberson tonight). But the team is where it is if Clifford is significantly hurt. Not every QB is cut out to play in tough environments and PSU will continue to play in tough environments.

No, we're not children that resort to name calling either.

I blamed Franklin for several losses in the early years but I don't know how you can blame this one on him. Roberson just isn't ready to compete at this level. He missed two wide open receivers on that last drive. I'm not sure Roberson is good enough to beat Illinois.
he was a higher rated recruit than Levis I believe and in the 3rd year of the program has no touch or feel with his passes and looked scared taking snaps and dysfunctional. I mean at some point JF has to get a little blame for that....we went into a B1G season with Clifford and three QB's who hadn't played an important down or started in their lives. Not sustainable

Reactions: 84Lion and JDale83
Roberson had a very bad game but it was still not as bad as Seneca vs. Miami. That one stands alone for all time.
I don't remember that but Roberson was bad. On the next to last series he missed two wide open WRs. Strange should have caught one or two of those earlier earlier passes but on was high and the other was behind him. The 4th down pass to Lee was way behind him. It's amazing he caught it.

On the very last possession he runs for 2 yards and gets tackled in bounds.

Except for the opening possession of the second half I don't think we crossed mid field.

he was a higher rated recruit than Levis I believe and in the 3rd year of the program has no touch or feel with his passes and looked scared taking snaps and dysfunctional. I mean at some point JF has to get a little blame for that....we went into a B1G season with Clifford and three QB's who hadn't played an important down or started in their lives. Not sustainable

PSU has been that way forever

That Senneca ever started a game was on Joe. He was a handoff machine at Central Catholic. That Joe even recruited him as a QB was, to me, outrageous.

Amen. Senneca ran the Wing-T and made less than 80 passes in high school. Good kid, but not a QB. Would have made a good safety with the required vowel at the end of his name.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Just watching him, Roberson was never meant to be a B10 big game QB. Sometimes, players are recruited to be the 3rd, 4th and 5th string guys that are needed to help prepare the first and second teamers. B10 level of play is too advanced for his size and skill set. I'm sure he tried his best but he just doesn't belong on the field in any game like that one. It is what it is.

Ohio state had O qbs who fit that criteria coming into the year.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I don't know the extent of Clifford's injury but I doubt they'll want to risk injury vs. Illinois. The problem is I don't know if we can beat Illinois with Roberson at QB.

With all due respect, receivers were open...the passes were not on target...complaints about penalties are justified, but does that happen with Clifford? Who knows, but somehow I doubt it. Otherwise, good passes win the game; it seems everyone enjoys attempting to make something simple sound complicated. 🤷‍♂️
Agreed this was an easy win with clifford

Or it’s on Will Levis.
Nope. An "elite" or even "premier" franchise not only recruits, but develops, worthy junior players. This loss (and probably others to come) is completely on Franklin. No Excuses.

Nope. An "elite" or even "premier" franchise not only recruits, but develops, worthy junior players. This loss (and probably others to come) is completely on Franklin. No Excuses.
100%AGREE!

I don't know the extent of Clifford's injury but I doubt they'll want to risk injury vs. Illinois. The problem is I don't know if we can beat Illinois with Roberson at QB.
Run wildcat every play

And don’t forget all the other losses in the past….players don’t have to play well, it’s all about the coaches.

Not when the Head Coach tells you otherwise. Mike Y isn't the boss of this team...he simply follows directives.

The entire QB roster, good or bad, is on Franklin.
I got it now...all the good calls are on MY and all the bad calls are on Franklin. It's all clear.

• Haha
Reactions: Shadow99
True...yet Oklahoma brought in their freshman today in as equally a big game and led them to a win. Our 3rd year qb couldn't field a snap or hit an intermediate pass.

I got it now...all the good calls are on MY and all the bad calls are on Franklin. It's all clear.
We're not talking calls.. we're talking player development..

Here are Roberson's (a 3rd year player) pre-game participation statistics. All on Franklin...No Excuses...

STATS

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

Reactions: PSUTENN1 and ftlpsu

Here are Roberson's (a 3rd year player) pre-game participation statistics. All on Franklin...No Excuses...

STATS

How many snaps do 3rd string qbs typically get?

Yep, and next year oh-high-ya will still have a better looking QB roster given their dominant recruiting (and the ability of the very best H.S. QB's to hit the ground running in college). But PSU has closed that recruiting gap some and Allar is probably the only PSU QB recruit of the last 10 years that oh-high-ya would have actually offered a scholarship to. And only based upon Allar's senior year film, whereas oh-high-ya normally has their 5 star of high 4 star QB recruits committed long before they play their senior seasons.

I can't criticize Franklin much for the current state of the QB roster when his backup is leading KY to a great season and he couldn't get top QB's away from the teams that were consistently in the playoffs. Franklin had Fields identified and committed as well. Hopefully Allar with Yurcich developing him will be a winner. But for all we know Roberson could turn it around or Veilleux could be the answer. Just a tough night in Iowa tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftlpsu and Shadow99
That's another play we could have tried. I'm disappointed that we didn't try something. It was pretty obvious that Roberson wasn't able to take the team down the field.
I meant that kinda half funny but you're right. They still continued the play calling like SC was in there.

What about a flea-flicker or even a reverse or something?

And why continue to run the hurry-up offense? By that time, what PSU needed was to run clock and settle down. Otherwise, until SC went out, MY called a great game.

I'd try a lot of wildcat against Illinois if SC isn't back. Right now I would say Penn State does not have a QB.

Reactions: bdgan and psrurock
Honest Question? Can we campaign for a "Transfer" QB midseason and Can he come in right away and play? They changed all these rules so often hard to keep up with them

True...yet Oklahoma brought in their freshman today in as equally a big game and led them to a win. Our 3rd year qb couldn't field a snap or hit an intermediate pass.
And their freshman was battling throughout the year for the starting spot because their starter has sucked. It’s apples and oranges.

STATS

And when should he have played? Please, enlighten us with your coaching expertise. Which game would have prepared him for tonight and not gotten Franklin fried for putting him in.

Can you read? I wasn't calling for the backup, that is unless PSU is playing with a QB that can't hit the broad side of a barn (see Roberson tonight). But the team is where it is if Clifford is significantly hurt. Not every QB is cut out to play in tough environments and PSU will continue to play in tough environments.

No, we're not children that resort to name calling either.
I'm sorry that was in agreement with you! I was just being sarcastic!

And when should he have played? Please, enlighten us with your coaching expertise. Which game would have prepared him for tonight and not gotten Franklin fried for putting him in.
PSU scheduled more than enough cupcakes to allow 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers to see meaningful action, but Franklin insisted on playing his starter longer than necessary.

We all saw this coming.... it was just a matter of time.

And their freshman was battling throughout the year for the starting spot because their starter has sucked. It’s apples and oranges.
It's not apples and oranges...it's preparation and being ready for basic things like taking snaps and being able to deliver short to intermediate passes. Excuses won't change anything. OU's freshman qb won a game over Texas and ours looked like he would have a hard time making a top level HS program.

ADVERTISEMENT