ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio St, Mich have 8 months to gnash their teeth over What Might Have Been

Jerry

May 29, 2001
I went to bed at halftime last night. 65-7. Dear God. Poor TCU. What an embarrassment of a performance. Then again, after those two classic semi's, I suppose this was to be expected.

Michigan is left to wonder how in the blue blazes they lost to those guys while Ohio State has to live with the certain knowledge (see link below) they would have been the ones clobbering TCU and winning the whole enchilada if not for the 4th-quarter collapse against Georgia.

To add to Michigan's woes comes this farcical NCAA investigation of the Wolverines and Harbaugh. What a shame.

We, on the other hand, go home with a Rose Bowl win, ranked #7 (which will probably hold going into next season), and dreams of great things in 2023.

In other words, as another season goes into the books, Penn State fans feel a lot better about football life than fans of Ohio State and Michigan. Ironic as hell.

A disaster for the Big 12.

To be fair, TCU lost their starting RB. Then, early in the game, they lost their RT. They moved their RT to the LT and ended up having two OLmen in uncomfortable spots with a second team RB. Once TCU got behind and had to pass, the GA DL were like mad dogs in a meat market. TCU had zero running game so GA simply pinned back their ears and came after Duggan. On the other side of the ball, I was shocked at how crappy TCU's defensive backfield was. Guys were WIDE open. I get making Stetson the "hero" of the game but Anthony Morelli would have made those throws with the exception of the dual catch TD. Several TDs were very underthrown, understandable when they are open by five yards.

I went to bed at halftime last night. 65-7. Dear God. Poor TCU. What an embarrassment of a performance. Then again, after those two classic semi's, I suppose this was to be expected.

Michigan is left to wonder how in the blue blazes they lost to those guys while Ohio State has to live with the certain knowledge (see link below) they would have been the ones clobbering TCU and winning the whole enchilada if not for the 4th-quarter collapse against Georgia.

To add to Michigan's woes comes this farcical NCAA investigation of the Wolverines and Harbaugh. What a shame.

We, on the other hand, go home with a Rose Bowl win, ranked #7 (which will probably hold going into next season), and dreams of great things in 2023.

In other words, as another season goes into the books, Penn State fans feel a lot better about football life than fans of Ohio State and Michigan. Ironic as hell.

What precisely is "farcical" about the NCAA investigation of Michigan? Oh I forgot, rules don't apply to Michigan.

We had our chance against and stunk the big house out and we handed them the game with Ohio State. I am optimistic for next year

What precisely is "farcical" about the NCAA investigation of Michigan? Oh I forgot, rules don't apply to Michigan.

The actual supposed offenses are ridiculously petty, especially coming at a time when nearly anything goes as the NCAA becomes increasingly impotent and irrelevant.

It's no wonder Harbaugh apparently lied to the investigators. How can anyone take these clowns and their organization seriously? Farcical is exactly the right word.

But don't get me wrong. I'm shedding no tears for poor Michigan. In fact, the point (in part) of my post was to kick them while they're down. Not a very Christian sentiment, but after 30 years in this shithole league, perhaps I can be forgiven.

The actual supposed offenses are ridiculously petty, especially coming at a time when nearly anything goes as the NCAA becomes increasingly impotent and irrelevant.

It's no wonder Harbaugh apparently lied to the investigators. How can anyone take these clowns and their organization seriously? Farcical is exactly the right word.

But don't get me wrong. I'm shedding no tears for poor Michigan. In fact, the point (in part) of my post was to kick them while they're down. Not a very Christian sentiment, but after 30 years in this shithole league, perhaps I can be forgiven.
Wonder if Ohio St people had anything to do with it? They seem to be embedded at ncaa compliance and I wouldn't put it past them to gotcha Harbaugh since they can't beat him anymore.

No fan of the NCAA, especially after the way they crucified Paterno and concede it has become increasingly irrelevant in large part because of that. However, the NCAA fought NIL in court and lost. Contacting recruits during a dead period is clearly designed to gain a recruiting advantage and using analysts for on field coaching purposes is designed to get an advantage on game day. Do you prefer that there be no rules whatsoever and that ever school does whatever it wants? If Harbaugh misled or lied to investigators that's a Level I violation. As many have found out in other contexts, its not the offense per se but the cover up which trips them up.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
No fan of the NCAA, especially after the way they crucified Paterno and concede it has become increasingly irrelevant in large part because of that. However, the NCAA fought NIL in court and lost. Contacting recruits during a dead period is clearly designed to gain a recruiting advantage and using analysts for on field coaching purposes is designed to get an advantage on game day. Do you prefer that there be no rules whatsoever and that ever school does whatever it wants? If Harbaugh misled or lied to investigators that's a Level I violation. As many have found out in other contexts, its not the offense per se but the cover up which trips them up.

The infractions you cite are the equivalent of NCAA misdemeanors...jay-walking if you will. Seriously, who cares.

Harbaugh was downright dumb to lie about any of this. But it's funny as hell that he seems to be probably the last big fish caught up in the NCAA's full-of-holes net.

Honestly, I just wish the NCAA would go away. The organization has become a joke whose time is over. Its last famous act was to do something totally outside its authority or charter: impose the hoped-for equivalent of the death penalty on Penn State. Sorry, guys, another fail on your part.

College football, whether we like it or not, has effectively become a semi-pro game. The mask is off. The pretense is over. It's time we all came to terms with that.

Let's be real here--the NCAA is all but dead (because of us) and "no contact" periods are an antiquated notion. I also think anyone being paid by the university should be on the field. I'd rather the rules change then to try to punish someone (honestly, what would they do, take away 1-2 scholarships?) for lying about a minor offense regardless of the lies.

TCU was due for something like this, probably not this bad but they played UGA on their A game. Remember TCU struggled vs Kansas, squeaked out against Okie State, could have lost to Texas, should have lost to Baylor then finally did lose to K State. They could have easily had 2 losses and no playoff. Not the most intimidating team. How they won vs scUM is just the football gods were on their side and of course the gods hate scUM when it comes to bowl games so I am cool with that.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The infractions you cite are the equivalent of NCAA misdemeanors...jay-walking if you will. Seriously, who cares.

Harbaugh was downright dumb to lie about any of this. But it's funny as hell that he seems to be probably the last big fish caught up in the NCAA's full-of-holes net.

Honestly, I just wish the NCAA would go away. The organization has become a joke whose time is over. Its last famous act was to do something totally outside its authority or charter: impose the hoped-for equivalent of the death penalty on Penn State. Sorry, guys, another fail on your part.

College football, whether we like it or not, has effectively become a semi-pro game. The mask is off. The pretense is over. It's time we all came to terms with that.
You think? Half the UGA team needed to rush back today to prep for their mechanical engineering and biology lab work that starts next week. Seriously, yep, these elite Div 1 football players including at PSU are majoring in football. I do think Franklin takes the academic side more seriously than most other coaches but to think these guys are student athletes is a joke. They are football players enrolled in a university.

Let's be real here--the NCAA is all but dead (because of us) and "no contact" periods are an antiquated notion. I also think anyone being paid by the university should be on the field. I'd rather the rules change then to try to punish someone (honestly, what would they do, take away 1-2 scholarships?) for lying about a minor offense regardless of the lies.
May be an antiquated notion but it’s still a rule. But for some people that’s too hard a concept to grasp I guess.

May be an antiquated notion but it’s still a rule. But for some people that’s too hard a concept to grasp I guess.
Rules are broken all the time by most schools when it comes to recruiting. After what happened to us with the sanctions I don't understand why anyone wants any NCAA involvement. Just kill them as they deserve to die.

Michigan totally blew it vs TCU. They started off with a long pick 6 then fumbled the snap with 1st and goal on the TCU 1 yard line. This gave TCU confidence and before you knew it Michigan was down 21-6 at half.

OSU played much better than I anticipated vs Georgia. They actually had a chance to win with a FG but it was wide left by 20 yards. Choke? But other than that they played a great game.

I predicted an easy win for Georgia. I said give the 15.5 points because I thought they'd win by 3 TDs. I didn't think they'd win by 58. Things went really bad for TCU early and they were mentally defeated.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Michigan totally blew it vs TCU. They started off with a long pick 6 then fumbled the snap with 1st and goal on the TCU 1 yard line. This gave TCU confidence and before you knew it Michigan was down 21-6 at half.

OSU played much better than I anticipated vs Georgia. They actually had a chance to win with a FG but it was wide left by 20 yards. Choke? But other than that they played a great game.

I predicted an easy win for Georgia. I said give the 15.5 points because I thought they'd win by 3 TDs. I didn't think they'd win by 58. Things went really bad for TCU early and they were mentally defeated.

Agreed, and what makes it even better is that a few critical (and questionable) calls by the zebras figured into the losses by Ohio State and Michigan. Awwww! Too bad! A real shame they couldn't take their Big Suck refs with them, but that's the problem with relying on home cooking by the officials who rescued Michigan's unbeaten season against Illinois.

As for TCU, they clearly shot their wad against Michigan and didn't have the horses, either on O or D, to cope with the likes of Georgia only one week later. You could feel the air go out of their balloon by the middle of the second quarter, and at that point I think they mentally chucked it in, which is why I went to bed at halftime.

Rules are broken all the time by most schools when it comes to recruiting. After what happened to us with the sanctions I don't understand why anyone wants any NCAA involvement. Just kill them as they deserve to die.
And when you get caught breaking a rule you can be punished. Sounds like the old "defense" to getting ticketed for speeding that other motorists were going faster. Tell that to the judge if you get ticketed and let me know how that works out for you.

And when you get caught breaking a rule you can be punished. Sounds like the old "defense" to getting ticketed for speeding that other motorists were going faster. Tell that to the judge if you get ticketed and let me know how that works out for you.
Typically if you fight a ticket they throw it out just like they should do with recruiting. It literally doesn't matter. If Penn State did it not a single person here would think we should be sanctioned.

Agreed, and what makes it even better is that a few critical (and questionable) calls by the zebras figured into the losses by Ohio State and Michigan. Awwww! Too bad! A real shame they couldn't take their Big Suck refs with them, but that's the problem with relying on home cooking by the officials who rescued Michigan's unbeaten season against Illinois.

As for TCU, they clearly shot their wad against Michigan and didn't have the horses, either on O or D, to cope with the likes of Georgia only one week later. You could feel the air go out of their balloon by the middle of the second quarter, and at that point I think they mentally chucked it in, which is why I went to bed at halftime.
Were there some questionable calls in the Georgia-OSU game? Sure, that is football. Ohio State lost for 2 reasons
1. Too many injuries to key guys on offense
2. The D could not get stops when they needed to. An ongoing problem.

Of the 2, the second was the more significant.

Earth--join me there please
Generally one of two things happen with moving violations like speeding. The person ticketed pleads guilty for convenience purposes or the cop agrees to let them plead guilty to a lesser charge to avoid points But cops don’t typically drop the charges completely.

Were there some questionable calls in the Georgia-OSU game? Sure, that is football. Ohio State lost for 2 reasons
1. Too many injuries to key guys on offense
2. The D could not get stops when they needed to. An ongoing problem.

Of the 2, the second was the more significant.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that.

Still, I thought Georgia was holding all over the field on their first TD; that the targeting on Harrison should not have been reversed; and that Brock Bowers did NOT make the first-down on that critical reversed 4th-quarter call that kept a Georgia drive alive.

That said, in a game like that, it always comes down to who makes plays in the 4th quarter and who doesn't. Ohio State made some plays...but Georgia made more.

Generally one of two things happen with moving violations like speeding. The person ticketed pleads guilty for convenience purposes or the cop agrees to let them plead guilty to a lesser charge to avoid points But cops don’t typically drop the charges completely.
I've gotten 3 speeding tickets in my life and all three were dropped completely

ADVERTISEMENT