ADVERTISEMENT

OK....I've never done this before (OT)....

bjf1984

Sep 8, 2014
But I can't seem to find definitive information in my on-line searches.....so I will turn to the all-knowing board for some OT advice.

I want to set up a TV into a room that is not wired for cable TV (and would be a royal pain to get wired for cable).

My cable TV provider is COMCAST (I also have my cable internet through them - if that matters).

Is it reasonably possible to wall mount a TV in a non-wired room, and have it receive the cable TV signal wirelessly?
Do I need a certain "level" of TV?
What additional hardware would I need?
Is it expensive?
Is "reception" good?
Any comments on things to look out for?

I am a techno-illiterate, but I gotta' figure this is a pretty common issue.......so it must be doable

TIA

That's what she said.

On a more serious note, dirctv has wireless receivers and they work fairly well (I have two). Another option is to get a wireless signal sender and remote signal sender. I haven't messed with them for years but they were ok if you are set on keeping cable. You could also get a sling box (or equivalent) and put a basic computer with the TV. You could use your phone or iPad to control it. You have a plethora of options even beyond these.

I live in a market (Boston) where Comcast has introduced their "Cloud DVR" service with the X1 platform. As part of that, I can stream any live cable programming (including premium channels) on a phone, tablet or computer connected to my home network. I have done some streaming on my Macbook Pro and the picture quality has been quite good. I use a 32" TV as my second monitor on the laptop (connected by HDMI cable) and the picture looks good on full screen. I'm not a video expert but I haven't noticed a major difference in picture quality even when I am sitting pretty close to the screen. I don't know that the picture quality is equivalent to a DVR/cable box so it may not scale as well to a larger TV.

I think some people now are dedicating a PC as a media device connected to their TV. When you consider what you would pay in monthly fees for an additional cable box, it may make sense. It also has the advantage of working well other streaming services like Netflix, ESPN3.com and the BTN2Go. Add in a Bluetooth keyboard as your "remote" and you could have an interesting solution.

I'm curious to see what others have done.

Yes you can do it and there are multiple ways to do so

I'm a big TiVo fan, and if I were setting something like that up, I'd do it via a TiVo Roamio with a TiVo mini in the other room. That way you'd have access to both live TV and all your recordings on your TiVo DVR along with access to On-Demand programming from Comcast and to apps like Netflix.

This option will work with any HD TV and the quality will look exactly the same as if you were hooked up via cable.

TiVo Roamio

It's probably not going to be cheap. Sometimes running wires isn't as bad as you think, but don't let the cable company do it... they will do the most terrible job imaginable, run them along the outside of your house, drill holes in your walls. Why do you think running cable would be a royal pain? In my experience I would rather pull cable than mount a TV on the wall.

They used to make wireless TVs, you would wire a base that would send signals to the TV, it even had a built in battery so you could literally carry it around the house. But I haven't seen one in a while, I don't think they did well.

Slingbox is great, but it will not give you an experience like cable. It's really just great to have access to your TV when outside the home.

Delete

double post courtesy of Yahoo.

This post was edited on 3/10 7:58 AM by pandaczar12

DISH has a multi-tv system called 'Joey' that allows you to set up a wired receiver (using their satellite dish) and sending the signal to Joey's in other rooms. We like Dish a lot - they are a pretty good company with a nice customer service set up. I realize this doesn't help with your cable question, but would be a viable alternative.

How far away from your source?

IOGear makes an HDMI trasmitter/receiver kit, full uncompressed HDMI with two inputs. Look up the IOGear GW3DHDKIT. There are probably other manufacturers as well. The caution here is how far away from your cable input will the TV reside, and what kind of walls and obstructions are between? Signal will degrade over 30 ft. I am researching the same issue, trying to avoid running more cables but I'm not ready to move on it for a few more months.

My situation is wanting to relocate a TV to an opposing wall in the same room as the cable input, so it's unobstructed and less than 30 ft, pretty confident it will work well in this setup.

Time for some of you old heads to get with the times

Just playin'

;)

Did you know you could run a cat 5 from your TV straight to your router and it works like a cable box??? Haven't tried it but that's what i was told.

Go with directv with a genie a a couple clients for various rooms. It's all wireless.

That being said, a smart tv can connect to a wireless router. I don't know if comcast can send it's cable programming that way, but I would think they can.

DUMP ComKrap and get Direct TV...like I did

...I have NEVER regretted that decision (made in 2006).

I HATE those arrogant, unresponsive (2 week waits, etc) cable bastards.

In those 9 years since, I've never had to make a service request for help, knock on wood (unlike "it's gonna cost you!" ComKrap).

tons of options avaialble

just google "how to get tv in a room without cable". Here are options on Amazon.

I did this several years ago. The problem was that I couldn't change channels because my Cable Box transmitter had to be "line of sight" from the remote. There are options with this, too. Just google it.

DirecTV is the biggest scam going...

When we moved into our home in 2007 we had Comcast and I wanted to save a few bucks so I called DirecTV. Well the first rain we had we lost signal. Called and was told there was nothing they could do since 'rain is an Act of God'... then we started losing signal and it was bad to the point that we didn't have TV service for over 3 days. Called multiple times and it would get fixed, then a couple hours later it would die again... called for service... arranged to be off from work - they never showed. This happened on three separate occasions. When I called to cancel I was told they could upgrade all my equipment for free... WTF I hadn't had the service for more than 3 months and I was already out-of-date? Bull Shit... dropped them like a free-loading girlfriend and never looked back. Been with Comcast since and I can tell you the new X1 service is phenominal - blows FiOS away. I'm getting 50Mbps down and over 20Mbps up on internet. Calling tonight to have a 4th TV included and to upgrade my cable modem... try getting those speeds with DirecTV... oh yeah - you can't because they don't offer internet...

My point here is every company has their horror stories. Comcast works for me and DirecTV works for you... so be it. But don't make it out that EVERYONE hates Comcast.

tons of options avaialble.......... I'll be Damned. I didn't know all that stuff existed. I guess since I've been cableless for over 20 years, I'm out of the loop. I might try one of those to send a signal out to my deck this summer. I've beaten the line of sight problem by using my ipad or iphone as a wifi remote on my directv.

WOW....Tons of Info......Thanks to all

I figured there had to be some option .....because it seemed this would be a fairly common situation.....but holy moly there is a ton of stuff out there in the AV tech world that I didn't know squat about.

Thank you all for giving some direction as to the options I can pursue.....and letting me know that there are indeed solutions to this issue.

Re: WOW....Tons of Info......Thanks to all

I wish you the best of luck in your quest.

I love these sort technology solutions... but nothing beats being hardwired. Can you help us understand the challenges you face with running wires? If we could help you think of a wiring solution, it will be the best possible outcome. I understand if you are trying to get the TV in your treehouse 100 feet away in your backyard... but otherwise there has go to be a relatively simple way to get those wires run.

What level/room in your house are you trying to install this TV? Are there any rooms nearby you can tap into the cable line? Can you use the basement or attic to run the cables?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT