ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, just ordered, via Amazon a 22 qt. pot,. lid & steamer basket for Alaskan King Crab legs! Tell me all you know about cooking these bad boys!

I always add a little white wine and lemon to the water before steaming. Perhaps a dash of Old Bay as well!!

Reactions: TheGLOV
I actually heat them on the grill from time to time. As another poster noted, it is highly likely they are already cooked. If so, you are really just reheating.

Either way, do not immerse them in the water. Steam them, as others have said. No need to add Old Bay, vinegar or anything else, which is what many people do (me, included) for blue crabs.

Enjoy!

family secrets, little tidbits, and anything else seafood wise I should know.

Thanks!
There are 3 kinds of King Crab that a marketed in the lower 48 states. Red King Crab is considered the best/most desirable and is therefore the most expensive. Most of the Red King crab catch is sent to Asia. Next is Blue King Crab (they turn red/orange when cooked) and is the largest of the King Crab family. Most of the Red King crab sold in the US is actually Blue King crab. Golden King Crab is the smallest of this group and therefore less desirable. When cooked the shell will retain a bit of the golden color. Golden's are the most common King crab.

There are other types but you probably won't run into any around here. Pricing will be approximately: $40-$50/lb for Red; $30-$40/lb for Blue (marketed as Red); $17-$25/lb for Golden.

Make sure to thaw them before heating them up.

family secrets, little tidbits, and anything else seafood wise I should know.

Thanks!
Serve with a giant plate of bacon for Surf and turf!
bacon-1024x754.jpg

King crab and snow crab legs don’t have as much flavor as lower 48 crabs

I don;t know if that is actually true if you get live King Crab which I have never had. Here on the East Coast King Crab Legs were already cooked and then frozen so when you reheat them it is NOT the same as eating crabs that were cooked live right in front of you. I know that eating those reheated King Crabs are no where near as good as eating Blue Crabs that were cooked live and then eaten right after. Those are AWESOME.

I don;t know if that is actually true if you get live King Crab which I have never had. Here on the East Coast King Crab Legs were already cooked and then frozen so when you reheat them it is NOT the same as eating crabs that were cooked live right in front of you. I know that eating those reheated King Crabs are no where near as good as eating Blue Crabs that were cooked live and then eaten right after. Those are AWESOME.
No scientific data at all, but I watch diners drive ins and dives a lot and guy fier made a comment on one episode about king crab not having as much flavor

All my previous comments being said, I am now hungry for king crab legg. Is it worth buying them online for delivery or at a real fishmonger, of just buy in grocery store?

I bought 8 lbs of Golden King crab legs about 3 weeks ago for $17/lb at the local supermarket. I'll have them next week when everyone is home. Same supermarket is advertising "Giant Red King crab" for $29/lb. They're probably Blue King crab, but $29/lb is still a good price.

For King Crab, just google any “recipes” for grilling them. I’ve found that when you do this, you reduce the saltiness of them. Most of the recipes will involve butter, garlic, and the usuals being applied to them. I found that I enjoy them much better even though I have them maybe once a year.

If you’re Philly close, go get them at Hopkins. Not sure if you are near Wegmans, but they would have them once a year where they were literally aired in from Alaska over night. Much fresher. Not sure if they still do that.

All my previous comments being said, I am now hungry for king crab legg. Is it worth buying them online for delivery or at a real fishmonger, of just buy in grocery store?

Different subject but if you like lobster, lobstergram.com delivers an amazing product and I have it sent all the way out here to me in Colorado. There's nothing better. Worth every penny.

My son (okay, and my wife and me 😁) accepted the task of moving 29 various sized boxes mailed to us by sister in Anchorage. (Yes, cheaper by the pound to mail then to have moving company bring them back).
My sister paid him by sending 5# of fresh king crab to us in Archbold. Otherwise I doubt we would ever buy them.
Delicious!

OL

I would wait until April to order those crabs. This time of year the Blue Crabs are coming from the Gulf of Mexico and they are similar to King Crab Legs in that they are cooked and then frozen for shipment north. Still tasty but NOTHING like cooking them live and eating them that day.

One thing I did learn is that you can re-steam already cooked (cooked that day) for 3-4 minutes and they are just as good as cooking them live and then eating. Key is to not freeze them and eat them the same day as they are cooked (or the day after if you have some left over). Saves you from losing ones that die if you buy them live. For our family reunion we would get 3 bushels of crabs and when we got them live several dozen would die before I could cook them so it cut down on lost crabs. Also a lot easier putting already cooked crabs into the pot than putting live ones that objected to being cooked. :)

I would wait until April to order those crabs. This time of year the Blue Crabs are coming from the Gulf of Mexico and they are similar to King Crab Legs in that they are cooked and then frozen for shipment north. Still tasty but NOTHING like cooking them live and eating them that day.

One thing I did learn is that you can re-steam already cooked (cooked that day) for 3-4 minutes and they are just as good as cooking them live and then eating. Key is to not freeze them and eat them the same day as they are cooked (or the day after if you have some left over). Saves you from losing ones that die if you buy them live. For our family reunion we would get 3 bushels of crabs and when we got them live several dozen would die before I could cook them so it cut down on lost crabs. Also a lot easier putting already cooked crabs into the pot than putting live ones that objected to being cooked. :)

Sound advice.

Thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT