ADVERTISEMENT

OL grades: Purdue

Parkerdam555

Jul 2, 2022
Fashanu-B plus. Looked solid all night. Good push at times, still learning but good.
Tengwall-C minus. Had trouble most of the night, a bit disappointing but let's see the progress this week.
Nourzad Incomplete, not enough work but looked fairly good times.
Scruggs-C plus. A throughly average performance which means he was light years better than that turnstile we ran out there last year.
Wormley-C plus. I think he has better in him, but all in all not too bad considering his experience level.
Wallace-F. Any snap he's on the field he basically lowers the entire output of this offensive line. Had 72 played the whole game at tackle I think it's worth 10 points, honestly he is that bad. They MUST fix the problem soon.
Effner-B plus. Rescued the day. His play at tackle at the end was every bit as crucial as Clifford.
Overall-C minus. Without Wallace it's probably a B minus. Better than last year but 79 must sit from now on because that's 3 to 4 less sacks and 4 to 5 less hurries per game, which is a ton.

Fashanu-B plus. Looked solid all night. Good push at times, still learning but good.
Tengwall-C minus. Had trouble most of the night, a bit disappointing but let's see the progress this week.
Nourzad Incomplete, not enough work but looked fairly good times.
Scruggs-C plus. A throughly average performance which means he was light years better than that turnstile we ran out there last year.
Wormley-C plus. I think he has better in him, but all in all not too bad considering his experience level.
Wallace-F. Any snap he's on the field he basically lowers the entire output of this offensive line. Had 72 played the whole game at tackle I think it's worth 10 points, honestly he is that bad. They MUST fix the problem soon.
Effner-B plus. Rescued the day. His play at tackle at the end was every bit as crucial as Clifford.
Overall-C minus. Without Wallace it's probably a B minus. Better than last year but 79 must sit from now on because that's 3 to 4 less sacks and 4 to 5 less hurries per game, which is a ton.
Think our OLine wunderkind coach may be reaching his expiration date?

Think our OLine wunderkind coach may be reaching his expiration date?
Actually if they just fix the problem at Right Tackle, then they got an average to slightly above average o line...but they MUST fix the problem instead of bowing to seniority or fretting about how 72 only weighs 285 pounds. They got what they got now they have to make it work.

I thought that the Left side of the OL was better than what you graded.........

Not great but improvement upon last year. On the last drive they ran a student body right on first and 10 getting the runner outside and the gain was for 8 yards........would like to see more purposeful runs to the outside with pulling guards and even Juice who can run..........

I have been screaming for Screens for 5 years and we ran 3-4 Thursday night.....now screaming for some runs that are designed to be away from the 7 people crowding the middle of the field.

I thought that the Left side of the OL was better than what you graded.........

Not great but improvement upon last year. On the last drive they ran a student body right on first and 10 getting the runner outside and the gain was for 8 yards........would like to see more purposeful runs to the outside with pulling guards and even Juice who can run..........

I have been screaming for Screens for 5 years and we ran 3-4 Thursday night.....now screaming for some runs that are designed to be away from the 7 people crowding the middle of the field.
On the final drive they actually ran right for 9 yards. 72 instead of 79.

Agree with OP. I rewatched the first 3 series frame by frame. Tengwall was on skates every run play. Wallace was torched every pass play. What I haven’t seen discussed is that the TEs were terrible run blocking. We used both most plays which meant 2 minus run blockers in addition to the OL. Hopefully Theo comes back as I think he was the best of the group last year.

Agree with OP. I rewatched the first 3 series frame by frame. Tengwall was on skates every run play. Wallace was torched every pass play. What I haven’t seen discussed is that the TEs were terrible run blocking. We used both most plays which meant 2 minus run blockers in addition to the OL. Hopefully Theo comes back as I think he was the best of the group last year.
Completely agree. Many run plays being blown up bc of poor TE blocking. Theo was definitely not ready. He was either unaware of blocking assignment or got blown up quite often. #1 problem with this program is OL confusion on blocking assignments and lack of physicality at TE spot.

Completely agree. Many run plays being blown up bc of poor TE blocking. Theo was definitely not ready. He was either unaware of blocking assignment or got blown up quite often. #1 problem with this program is OL confusion on blocking assignments and lack of physicality at TE spot.
Theo was so unready that he wasn't even on the field!

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Agreed...they did block better in the second half, IMHO.

Actually if they just fix the problem at Right Tackle, then they got an average to slightly above average o line...but they MUST fix the problem instead of bowing to seniority or fretting about how 72 only weighs 285 pounds. They got what they got now they have to make it work.
Effner has a hard time adding weight?

5th year in the program, listed as 6'5" -- but "only" 287# or so. At least he moves better than #79, who is listed at 324#

Is Efner a better option than Jimmy Christ 9sp) who is 6-7 about 319 and had some favorable comments about his ability. However, that was practice sessions, but he was rated fairly high and has the size.

Effner has a hard time adding weight?

5th year in the program, listed as 6'5" -- but "only" 287# or so. At least he moves better than #79, who is listed at 324#
If I was an opposing OC, if I saw a 287# RT, I'd put in a Left DE that could bull rush him right into the QB. A challenge the O has is that the D gets to adjust more easily. If the 324 # kid was in, I'd put in a really fast edge rusher. If the 287# kid is in, I sum in a DE that is big and strong.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Just read that Kentucky is making changes to their OL this week for the upcoming game against Florida this Sat. Levis was sacked "4 times" Sat. and that was against Miami of Ohio. Guess we aren't the only D1 team with OL problems; however, ours have be ongoing for 6 years now.

Reactions: GregInPitt
for those bashing the OL and Coach Traut.......what are your thoughts on the run game scheme?

There are NFL OT's that play around 300 lbs, and they block much better players successfully that what PSU's OL will go up against. As I have a hard time believing that anyone here actually weighed Effner, even if he is not above his listed weight of 287 are those 13 lbs the difference maker keeping him from playing better than Wallace who is a turnstile in pass protection?

With that logic there must be some here that would want Trautwein to replace Wallace with McNeil as McNeil reportedly weighs 370 lbs. But the problem from what I have seen is that Wallace is not quick enough to get in front of DE's, which from a physics point of view might equate to being a little too big and slow...........

So for me, I just hope the coaches do make a change. Not from the prospect that anyone here knows what the better choice would be to play Right OT. But from the fact that we have seen Wallace play for over 2 seasons and he still is a turnstile playing Right OT........ I have to believe that Trautwein knows who the best choice would be to play and see if that choice could play better overall than Wallace has played. Effner, Tengwall, Shelton, who knows. No one here, but hopefully Trautwein.

Reactions: Parkerdam555
for those bashing the OL and Coach Traut.......what are your thoughts on the run game scheme?
It is not the scheme for a struggling OL. I don't agree with Joel Klunk-head often but he said that we need to put RB 7-8 yards in backfield and give them chance to read DL and make moves. Lining them in backfield next to QB is not working. I guess that means putting QB under center so will never see it. I've watched Singleton HS highlights numerous times and he was unstoppable on pitch out.

I like the plan forward outlined at the end of this article. Hope Franklin and Trautwein have a plan to improve the OL, this plan or a better one.....

I like the plan forward outlined at the end of this article. Hope Franklin and Trautwein have a plan to improve the OL, this plan or a better one.....

There it is. Basically what I was thinking also. If Nourzad and Effner don't start, I hope they are in there by the 2nd series this week and stay there. That's the best combination we got. Nope, it's not ideal, but it is what it is. Like I said you don't get your britches in a bunch because Nourzad is a transfer and Effner only weighs 287 pounds. You go with the unit that gets you the best results.

It’s time to tell it like it is, they are not any better than last year what so hard to say that. It’s time to play people that can actually block I don’t give a damn if there freshman or sophomores

It’s time to tell it like it is, they are not any better than last year what so hard to say that. It’s time to play people that can actually block I don’t give a damn if there freshman or sophomores

Sounds like they were trying to. Olu and Tengwall are RS Soph and Fr. Nothing wrong with swapping Nourzad for Tengwall. That's the reason he was brought in. Kudos to Effner as well. For the first time, he was consistently better than Wallace.

Reactions: royboy
So basically same thing we have seen for the past 11 years?

They're better than last year but they aren't there yet...

My first thought is scheme, my second thought goes to round peg in a square hole. Wasn't Wallace always projected as an interior lineman?

My first thought is scheme, my second thought goes to round peg in a square hole. Wasn't Wallace always projected as an interior lineman?
Wallace was a top rated "OG" coming out of Hun School in Princeton.

Just read that Kentucky is making changes to their OL this week for the upcoming game against Florida this Sat. Levis was sacked "4 times" Sat. and that was against Miami of Ohio. Guess we aren't the only D1 team with OL problems; however, ours have be ongoing for 6 years now.
6 years? Maybe 26. Last truly outstanding OL was blocking for KiJana. I do not understand this. Even in LJ's 2K season, he didn't rush for much against the better D's

ADVERTISEMENT