ADVERTISEMENT

Open Thread: Penn State vs. Army

I wonder how Austin Boone was doing against our guys in the room. I was excited about him when he signed with PSU. Anyway, I dont think we've heard the last from Joe Lee. Keeping the faith...

Reactions: danoftw
Was on delay and just finished. Max Dean is nasty - has a bit of Morgan M and Matt Brown to him. I saw Beard beat this guy 14-6. How did that match go?

Reactions: johnstownsteel
0 on both occasions. Though on the Lee note, I don’t think wrestle-off results are particularly transitive.

The last time I watched Joe wrestle he wasn't capable of wrestling competitively against the lowest seeds at a slightly watered down nationals. Tonight Barraclough got manhandled against a similar type of opponent.
There is enough transitive evidence to indicate 157 will either have somebody else wrestling by March or 157 is going to be a non point scoring weight.

I really appreciate the answer though.

Reactions: js8793
125: Shunk is long, lanky, and battles. Showed a lot of heart and wrestled really well. Probably only the starter the first half of the season ( if that ), but the effort will be there every time he steps on the mat.

133: RBY did RBY things

141: JB said Meredith is trying to get to 125. For him to be cutting and wrestle basically 2 weights up says a lot about the kid. Wrestled well I thought, just didn’t have enough ponies.

149: Would have liked to see BB get to his offense a little more. However, a win is a win. Building his confidence will be big through the season, and winning a match like that against a quality opponent should help that. He stays in good position, and can get off bottom which will pay huge dividends obviously. Excited to watch him progress.

157: Hoping this was just a case of Bear either not fully recovered, or just not back in his groove yet. I’ve seen this kid at the top of his game, and it was far from what he showed tonight. Definitely not a concern to me only being 3 matches into the season.

165: Edsell gets a nice win for himself. Another guy I think is only a first half starter, but I think can surprise a few people a long the way.

174: C* was impressive yet again.

184: Brooks attack rate is unreal. Has to be disheartening wrestling him, if he’s not in your face, he’s on your legs.

197: First look at Dean in Rec Hall, and he thoroughly enjoyed it. Really showed his skill set on top. Only thing is, I think he can open up his offense more. It’ll be interesting to see how this weight plays out.

HWT: Over 5 minutes of riding time for Kerk. If opponent opens up a little more on bottom, I think he gets the pin. Not a bad thing getting full matches in this early in the season and expanding the lungs against guys outside the room.

Overall a good showing. Tip of the hat and good luck to Army on the rest of your season.

We Are!

bartlett is going to frustrate a lot of you with boring matches but he’s also going to be a pain to wrestle for a lot of guys. i think yianni is the only guy who i could see really putting it on him.

bartlett is going to frustrate a lot of you with boring matches but he’s also going to be a pain to wrestle for a lot of guys. i think yianni is the only guy who i could see really putting it on him.
He seems to be an expert in positioning. He's clearly very strong and has been showing how smart his wrestling is. I don't think he's opening it up because he knows he's smaller and if he gets caught underneath he won't have the ability to play defense and counter as easily as he does from neutral ties.

Well, 1 match after illness. Let’s hope The Process will not require as much work as that single match would suggest.
Lot of flu on campus this week. FB team will have guys out and others just recovering this weekend against Cruiseliner U. It’s unlikely that our boys with the white stripe avoid the flu. Better now than later.

Last edited:
Lot of flu on campus this week. FB team will have guys out and others just recovering this weekend against Cruiseliner U. It’s unlikely that our boys with the white stripe avoid the flu. Better now than later.
Isn't there a Flu vaccine like every year? What is different about this year? NEVERMIND :)

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
Last edited:
First time at Rec Hall for a dual, but it's not like I didn't know what to expect. We performed well.

sztrByE.jpg

I wonder how Austin Boone was doing against our guys in the room. I was excited about him when he signed with PSU. Anyway, I dont think we've heard the last from Joe Lee. Keeping the faith...
My word it’s one dual and already people are writing off JLee. He’s nicked up and will be back. It’s early and the lineup needs to be hammered out at three weights. We haven’t seen the B1G lineup yet... every match is progress along Cael’s plan to the tournament in March.

Mr. Brooks, if you are lurking around, I just listened to your son be interviewed after the match and I can only hope my sons talk as well and respectful as your son. Incredibly mature and polite.
This is very sincere, but i don’t know how to read it without laughing because someone with the user name “Raw Daddy” wrote it lol

125: Shunk is long, lanky, and battles. Showed a lot of heart and wrestled really well. Probably only the starter the first half of the season ( if that ), but the effort will be there every time he steps on the mat.

133: RBY did RBY things

141: JB said Meredith is trying to get to 125. For him to be cutting and wrestle basically 2 weights up says a lot about the kid. Wrestled well I thought, just didn’t have enough ponies.

149: Would have liked to see BB get to his offense a little more. However, a win is a win. Building his confidence will be big through the season, and winning a match like that against a quality opponent should help that. He stays in good position, and can get off bottom which will pay huge dividends obviously. Excited to watch him progress.

157: Hoping this was just a case of Bear either not fully recovered, or just not back in his groove yet. I’ve seen this kid at the top of his game, and it was far from what he showed tonight. Definitely not a concern to me only being 3 matches into the season.

165: Edsell gets a nice win for himself. Another guy I think is only a first half starter, but I think can surprise a few people a long the way.

174: C* was impressive yet again.

184: Brooks attack rate is unreal. Has to be disheartening wrestling him, if he’s not in your face, he’s on your legs.

197: First look at Dean in Rec Hall, and he thoroughly enjoyed it. Really showed his skill set on top. Only thing is, I think he can open up his offense more. It’ll be interesting to see how this weight plays out.

HWT: Over 5 minutes of riding time for Kerk. If opponent opens up a little more on bottom, I think he gets the pin. Not a bad thing getting full matches in this early in the season and expanding the lungs against guys outside the room.

Overall a good showing. Tip of the hat and good luck to Army on the rest of your season.

We Are!
Agree with your take on Bearclaw, we've seen him wrestle well against better wrestlers. I'm going to give 157 a chance to play out before throwing up a white flag.

The last time I watched Joe wrestle he wasn't capable of wrestling competitively against the lowest seeds at a slightly watered down nationals. Tonight Barraclough got manhandled against a similar type of opponent.
There is enough transitive evidence to indicate 157 will either have somebody else wrestling by March or 157 is going to be a non point scoring weight.

I really appreciate the answer though.
WAOY TO EARLY TO SAY THAT!!WE KNOW BOTH THESE GUYS ARE GOOD THEY WILL WORK IT OUT!!

One last comment on the Bearclaw match.

The Army kid was dominant in one position and the way the match was wrestled, that position dictated the outcome.

Lesson learned. If TB is the competitor I think he is, he will be working hard on bottom wrestling.

I remember Q having a similar problem his Soph year. Midseason Kevin Steinhaus rode the snot out of him on his way to a major decision. Q came back to revenge that loss at the Big Tens, then again at NCAAs.

Q had a few practice sessions with Matt Brown that year. I can think of a few guys in the room now who could help out.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Watching Beau was like watching Verk with more hair. Good wrestler, not much offens
Definitely doesn't frustrate me after beating 2 ranked opponents. He's doing great.

ADVERTISEMENT