ADVERTISEMENT

Optimistic for next season!

ShoreLion85

Oct 17, 2016
Why? Not just the obvious: many talented and experienced players returning. There’s one more reason - I honestly think that (finally?) our Assistant Coaches have hit their stride! It looks like we have continuity, the systems are in-place, the players are on board with those systems, and the coordinators are dialing up the strategy and tactics. This all culminated in some serious “chess playing” by the coaches - especially Yurcich. PSU actually looked like a well-oiled machine most of the Rose Bowl, in all three phases of the game.

Thus, I think an 11-1 2023, winning all of our home games (very important - to jump a level, we can not lose at home), and I’ll be ok with losing at the Shoe (but we must beat OSU at home in 2024).

Thoughts?

Why? Not just the obvious: many talented and experienced players returning. There’s one more reason - I honestly think that (finally?) our Assistant Coaches have hit their stride! It looks like we have continuity, the systems are in-place, the players are on board with those systems, and the coordinators are dialing up the strategy and tactics. This all culminated in some serious “chess playing” by the coaches - especially Yurcich. PSU actually looked like a well-oiled machine most of the Rose Bowl, in all three phases of the game.

Thus, I think an 11-1 2023, winning all of our home games (very important - to jump a level, we can not lose at home), and I’ll be ok with losing at the Shoe (but we must beat OSU at home in 2024).

Thoughts?
1. I think you hit the nail on the head at the #1 thing we have going for us in to next year. As of right now, knock on wood, we aren't losing any assistant coaches. ZERO!!
2. While I love Cliff and think the world of what he has done for PSU, I am excited for "The Kid" to take the reigns. I think the staff handled this situation perfectly and I believe Allar will be in Heisman Talk starting next year. 2 Winter workouts, 2 Spring Balls, 2 Summer Camps, and his first season of legitimate playing experience.
3. Besides Scruggs it looks like we return all players and depth up front. This is HUGE!!!!
4. I know WR may seem thin right now but I really think Allar will make a hug difference. Cliff locked on a WR and stuck with that.
5. LBU Baby!!!
6. Ohio State must replace their QB.
7. I know they portal strong but UM is replacing their entire OL.

Thoughts?
At Ohio St and home against Michigan are the 2 toughest games but don't discount @Illinois followed immediately by home with Iowa. Those are 2 teams that have a very physical wear you down style and we have them back to back. Must come out of that healthy.

As for Ohio St, they lose more than we do especially upfront. Both OTs are getting drafted and one in the 1st rd. Think their RG Jones is out of eligibility and OC Wypler could declare for the draft with a 2nd to 3rd rd grade.

Stroud is gone and they'll break in McCord. Not sure if Miyan Williams is declaring but he could with 3rd to 4th rd grade.

On defense they lose DT Vincent and DE Harrison. They also lose 2nd string Jean-Baptiste to transfer. Not sure if LB Chambers is coming back but they lose CB Brown and nickle McCalister. Pretty sure Safety Hickman is going to the NFL. Ranson could as well possibly but probably should return.

Michigan loses a fair amount as well.

Upfront they lose OC Oluwatimi, LT Hayes, and not sure if RT Barnhart, LG Keegan or RG Zinter return as each could get drafted.

Not sure if TE Schoonmaker is back or declares but WRs Bell and Johnson are gone. Corum could also declare.

Defensively they lose 335 lb NT Smith and DE Morrus should be leaving. I believe they lose 1 LB, 1 CB, and their nickel maybe done, not sure.

Thoughts?
me too!

We have issues at DT and LBer. I thought the WRs showed out well vs Utah and am not concerned about WR any longer. And, the issue of Allar is intriguing. I am told by a fairly good source that Christian moved on because Pribula looks great in practice. In fact, I was told that Allar was told to not take being the starter for granted because Pribula was looking so good. I also noticed that Pribula was all over SC on the sidelines during the game. Not sure what that is worth other than rumor. But if Pribula is pushing Allar, and he doesn't have the in-game presence, we have a good plan B. Hey, TCU's QB didn't start last year and GA's was a walk-on.

If the OL is stout, I see our offense being the best we've had since 1994.

Thoughts?
Why? Why not? Biggest player concern for me is DT.

Biggest coaching concern for me is player development. IMO we have the bodies and talent at LB and WR, we just need to get them ready to perform.

Last edited:
Nice story but Pribula isn't pushing Allar. If he was he would have split the other snaps or even had more.

I understand the optimism with several talented young players returning. The problem is it takes more than a few and we still don't know who's staying and who's coming. We also don't know how Allar will respond to the pressure in big games.

QB: Allar (B+ strong arm but first time starter)
WR: Lambert-Smith, Wallace, Meiga, Evans (D, add Cephas? and Devin Carter)
OL: Fashanau, Shelton, Nourzad, Wormley (B+, could need frosh Williams, Birchmeier)
TE: Warren, Johnson (A, I assume Strange will leave but Johnson stays)
RB: Singleton, Allen (A)

DT: Ellies, Beamon, Isaac (C- Undersized)
DE: Robinson, Vanover, Isaac, Sutton (B Also undersized)
LB: Carter, Jacobs, Elsdon, King (A- Rojas adds depth)
CB: King, Dixon (B+ players like Wilson need to improve)
S: Ellis, Reed, Wheatley (C- we're really going to miss Brown)

We also have no idea what we've got at P & PK (Bacchetta?)

I understand the optimism with several talented young players returning. The problem is it takes more than a few and we still don't know who's staying and who's coming. We also don't know how Allar will respond to the pressure in big games.

OL: Fashanau, Shelton, Nourzad, Wormley (B+, could need frosh Williams, Birchmeier)

Damn professor, grade hard much?

Reactions: Online Persona
Damn professor, grade hard much?
I have all offensive positions rated A or B+ except WR
I have LB, DE, and CB rated A or B

The weak spots are WR, DT, and S. You disagree?
Mack or Washington could be good at S but they'll be true freshmen.
Our two portal candidates at WR could help but they don't look like superstars.
I don't know of any top 320 lb DTs we're looking at.

IMO WR is at least a C+ to B-. We only lost 1 starter with which we closed the season and over 80% of the receiving yards return from the rose bowl where our passing game carved up a top 10 team. Plus there are a ton of young options that may be ready to step up that were redshirting.

DT has talent and depth but is just missing the big 320 lber. But Ellies and Izzard both look good and have decent size. Van de berg didn't look bad in his opportunities and may still be adding size. Our 3 techs are small but disruptive. Would like to add a little mass on these guys too. I'd give this position a solid B.

I don't think safety is an issue. Ellis should be coming back and Reed and Wheatley both seem to be playmakers already as young guys. They are likely to take a step forward. I'd go B to B+ at safety.

I think we are "weaker" in those spots, but not weak.

I think the DT's are what Manny wants in this type of defense. It does hurt when we play big teams like Michigan.
WR will be a surprise to me. I loved Cliff but part of our WR situation fell on him not being able to keep his eyes up like Trace when he was flushed.
S as weak is a way over the top prediction. Reed, Ellis, Wheatley, Winston are legitimate S.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I still think, like this year, 10-2 is the expectation. Until we beat Michigan and Ohio State why would be expect to.
Having said that--I wouldn't be shocked if we do. A lot of this season comes down to Allar and how much growth he shows early on. If he's what many of envision 11-1 or 12-0 is possible--more importantly (or as importantly) if he shows that level 2024 has playoff bid written all over it.

It wasn't harsh--seems fair--lots of solid grade and the unknowns/question marks were low
maybe so, but we are not "weak" at any position. Would/Could we be a little stronger there, sure.....but there isn't one spot on the field we can't compete at next year.

maybe so, but we are not "weak" at any position. Would/Could we be a little stronger there, sure.....but there isn't one spot on the field we can't compete at next year.
That's a fair assessment as well. I'm not worried about them heading into next year. Those positions graded lower is something that could be exposed against Michigan or Ohio State but I think we're clearly strong enough at every position that 10 wins shouldn't be an issue for us. This is a great team on paper. Great team.

Reactions: Texas Lion
1. I think you hit the nail on the head at the #1 thing we have going for us in to next year. As of right now, knock on wood, we aren't losing any assistant coaches. ZERO!!
2. While I love Cliff and think the world of what he has done for PSU, I am excited for "The Kid" to take the reigns. I think the staff handled this situation perfectly and I believe Allar will be in Heisman Talk starting next year. 2 Winter workouts, 2 Spring Balls, 2 Summer Camps, and his first season of legitimate playing experience.
3. Besides Scruggs it looks like we return all players and depth up front. This is HUGE!!!!
4. I know WR may seem thin right now but I really think Allar will make a hug difference. Cliff locked on a WR and stuck with that.
5. LBU Baby!!!
6. Ohio State must replace their QB.
7. I know they portal strong but UM is replacing their entire OL.
#1 is spot on, IMO.
Ditto on Clifford and Allar.
I think the WR issue will sort itself out. Hope the Miami kid comes on board.
I like your confidence at LB. I'm not quite there.
UM also has to deal with Harbaugh possibly going to the NFL. Personally, I hope he stays.

#1 is spot on, IMO.
Ditto on Clifford and Allar.
I think the WR issue will sort itself out. Hope the Miami kid comes on board.
I like your confidence at LB. I'm not quite there.
UM also has to deal with Harbaugh possibly going to the NFL. Personally, I hope he stays.
forgot to mention the JH leaving as also a bonus, good catch!!

I am banking on King and Elsdon taking the next step and being a lot better. Carter, Jacobs, Buddin, and Rojas will be solid and don't discount what another year in the program will do for Deluca.

Reactions: indynittany

There's grounds for optimism at WR and S. KLS has stepped up and played like a No. 1 since Washington got injured. Transfers may help and there's a good chance 1 or 2 of the young receivers after Wallace will be able to contribute. Plus Theo Johnson is almost like a big wideout. They won't be anything like Ohio State's receivers but they'll be good and great quarterbacking can make them really good.

Safety - Poindexter seems to have the secret to manufacturing NFL safeties, and he has good young players to work with. Sure they won't have Brown but they should be OK.

DT -- there's just no quick fix. The 320 pound DTs who can run are so rare and Larry Johnson Sr. gets first pick. But with good enough athletes PSU can scheme around the lack of size against most teams (obvious not Michigan in 2022).

There's grounds for optimism at WR and S. KLS has stepped up and played like a No. 1 since Washington got injured. Transfers may help and there's a good chance 1 or 2 of the young receivers after Wallace will be able to contribute. Plus Theo Johnson is almost like a big wideout. They won't be anything like Ohio State's receivers but they'll be good and great quarterbacking can make them really good.

Safety - Poindexter seems to have the secret to manufacturing NFL safeties, and he has good young players to work with. Sure they won't have Brown but they should be OK.

DT -- there's just no quick fix. The 320 pound DTs who can run are so rare and Larry Johnson Sr. gets first pick. But with good enough athletes PSU can scheme around the lack of size against most teams (obvious not Michigan in 2022).
I think it might have been a For The Blogy Breakdown on the Michigan game. It really wasn't an issue of getting over powered, rather it was over pursuing and trying to do more than just your job. I agree the run stuffers are important but watching that video I saw it was more of an execution situation.

Reactions: LongJakk
I think it might have been a For The Blogy Breakdown on the Michigan game. It really wasn't an issue of getting over powered, rather it was over pursuing and trying to do more than just your job. I agree the run stuffers are important but watching that video I saw it was more of an execution situation.
I thought the linebackers were more so the issue vs UM, always out of place. Manny Diaz did great this year but that game he had the wrong game plan.

Reactions: indynittany
And going into this year our “weak” spots were going to be OLine, RB and LB….that turned out pretty well. We never know how the young guys or portal guys will work out, so we have to wait and see. To me it comes down to Allar…if he’s as good as expected, this could be a really special year.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I thought the linebackers were more so the issue vs UM, always out of place. Manny Diaz did great this year but that game he had the wrong game plan.
you are correct, and that is what the video said now that I remember. The LB were constantly out of position. Does anyone remember if Carter was playing a lot then or were we still in Sutherland mode?

This is correct. We were not gap sound and UM torched us for it, BUT remember that after UM they swirtched Jacob's and Carter and the D really improved.

Reactions: Texas Lion
And going into this year our “weak” spots were going to be OLine, RB and LB….that turned out pretty well.
I don't recall people saying RB would be a weak spot.

LB was definitely a weak spot early on with Jacobs, Elsdon, and Sutherland as starters. Things didn't turn around until Carter surpassed expectations as a true freshman and was inserted into the starting lineup. Also King's improvement.

We knew coming in that all starters except Fashnau would be a 4* prospect. The surprise was how well the backups played when needed.

I don't recall people saying RB would be a weak spot.

LB was definitely a weak spot early on with Jacobs, Elsdon, and Sutherland as starters. Things didn't turn around until Carter surpassed expectations as a true freshman and was inserted into the starting lineup. Also King's improvement.

We knew coming in that all starters except Fashnau would be a 4* prospect. The surprise was how well the backups played when needed.
RB was a weak spot because we had Lee (who wasn’t great) and then unproven guys. The portal hurt us too bad (from what I read on here). My point is that every year certain positions get picked apart as the weak spots that will cause us to lose…but those weak spots don’t always end up being weak based on who develops. Not to mention, every team in the country has similar situations at different positions. Some posters on here act like we’re the only team that lose guys every year.

I liked the progress we saw this year. Cliff returned to his 2019 form and was easily Penn State's best full time starter since Darryl Clark. Running back was very good. Now we need to hold on to them. Receiver was a mess beyond the starters and looks like a mess heading into 2023. No, a couple of plays by KLS does not mean the problem is fixed. TE is solid. The OL has lots of work to do given that most teams respected Cliff's legs which are gone with him. Defensively, tackle is still and issue. Yes, it was an issue this year. Linebacker is good barring an early departure. The secondary is a huge question mark. Corner is good. Safety? We'll see.

The big dependency will be the schedule. This year, we were destroyed by Michigan in uncompetitive fashion. We lost to Ohio State in a game that wasn't as close as the score. The rest of the schedule was hot garbage. Looking ahead to 2023, Michigan should be better. Ohio State is Ohio State. Iowa will be better. Illinois is problematic and Michigan State should right the ship. We made progress, but we were also a product of the schedule which was outside of UM and PSU, objectively, the weakest schedule we have faced during the entirety of the Big Ten era. There was progress but not nearly what people think. Cliff's legs are gone heading into 2023 and the O-line remains a major question mark. Depending on what happens with Sparty, 2023 looks like 8-4 despite the team taking another step forward.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
This is correct. We were not gap sound and UM torched us for it, BUT remember that after UM they swirtched Jacob's and Carter and the D really improved.
The problem here is that UM obviously watched what teams have done to Diaz's defenses repeatedly over the years. What Bronco's BYU team did to his Texas D was brutal and unforgiving and got him fired. Michigan did the same. Michigan State tried but couldn't hold on despite some initial success. He clearly hasn't learned. The D didn't really improve, it just faced more favorable matchups.

RB was a weak spot because we had Lee (who wasn’t great) and then unproven guys. The portal hurt us too bad (from what I read on here). My point is that every year certain positions get picked apart as the weak spots that will cause us to lose…but those weak spots don’t always end up being weak based on who develops. Not to mention, every team in the country has similar situations at different positions. Some posters on here act like we’re the only team that lose guys every year.
RB is one of the few positions where true freshmen typically make an impact.

WR is another but PSU only signed one 3* WR. He's got to outplay his rankings or else this year's backups are going to have to improve greatly.

Carter was a huge surprise at LB as a freshman.

RB is one of the few positions where true freshmen typically make an impact.

WR is another but PSU only signed one 3* WR. He's got to outplay his rankings or else this year's backups are going to have to improve greatly.

Carter was a huge surprise at LB as a freshman.
But some WR’s on the roster may break out big, the transfer portal guy (or guys) may come through big like Tinsley did this year….it’s just too early to know. We have a solid team coming back from an 11-2 team with a few spots that we hope develop….that’s better than most teams and the same as the other 11-2 or better teams. We’re in a good spot assuming Allar is as good as expected.

Thoughts?

PSU fans should be optimistic every year. We have the greatest fan base, an incredible tradition, a powerful brand, tremendous support, and a talented roster.

As always, success will come down to 2 games:

October 21, 2023 at Ohio State

November 11, 2023 Michigan in Happy Valley

These are the most important games and critical success factors.

PSU fans should be optimistic every year. We have the greatest fan base, an incredible tradition, a powerful brand, tremendous support, and a talented roster.

As always, success will come down to 2 games:

October 21, 2023 at Ohio State

November 11, 2023 Michigan in Happy Valley

These are the most important games and critical success factors.
You might want to add Iowa.

But some WR’s on the roster may break out big, the transfer portal guy (or guys) may come through big like Tinsley did this year….it’s just too early to know. We have a solid team coming back from an 11-2 team with a few spots that we hope develop….that’s better than most teams and the same as the other 11-2 or better teams. We’re in a good spot assuming Allar is as good as expected.
Tinsley was a good get for PSU but to be honest I expected even more given his stats.

I'm hoping more WRs with PSU interest enter the portal. Cephas (if we get him) doesn't have nearly as impressive a resume as Tinsley. Devin Carter is 6'3" but On3 rates him the 40th best WR in the portal. We'll see.

I don't know where we'll find a proven 320 LB DT.

I agree we have some really good talent returning but I think that gets us 8-10 wins. I think we need to plug a few holes in order to win a BiG title

you are correct, and that is what the video said now that I remember. The LB were constantly out of position. Does anyone remember if Carter was playing a lot then or were we still in Sutherland mode?
Does it really matter? The issues against Michigan were two fold. Inability to adjust to dynamic gaps (e.g. Michigan pulling one or more players on most running plays changing the gaps) which has been a constant for Diaz's defenses. It is the fatal flaw in his approach. It is a flaw that has dogged him his entire career and he isn't any closer to solving it than he was when BYU got him fired at Texas in 2012 doing the same exact thing. Multiple teams did the same to him when he was at Miami as both DC and HC. His scheme is flawed, just like Yuricich whose offenses never got over the hump at Okie State despite equal or great talent and far worse defenses.

forgot to mention the JH leaving as also a bonus, good catch!!

I am banking on King and Elsdon taking the next step and being a lot better. Carter, Jacobs, Buddin, and Rojas will be solid and don't discount what another year in the program will do for Deluca.

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I guess I'll pile on:
QB: Allar (B+ strong arm but first time starter) Agree
WR: Lambert-Smith, Wallace, Meiga, Evans (D, add Cephas? and Devin Carter) Strongly disagree. Catching a football is not rocket science, and once a player proves he can catch a football against 19-24 year olds he doesn't forget. The lack of production from mid-2022 season WR producers can be mitigated by and during Spring practices. Tinsley showed how a transfer that understands how to get open within varying coverages can come in and perform at a greater than average B10 level. The staff already has one productive WR transfer coming for January enrollement and I believe they will compliment that player with another player that we here will be happy with. But also, the PSU roster probably has more unproven WR talent (5 FR & 3 sophs) than any other B10 team. It is logical to assume that those players will make progress and a couple will emerge to compliment the 2 incoming transfers, KLS and Wallace (I know I just double counted him). My grade would now be INCOMPLETE, with the expectation that PSU will field a B- to B group in 2023 led by KLS, Wallace, and the incoming transfers. No, Harrison isn't transferring in, but the sky is not falling either.
OL: Fashanau, Shelton, Nourzad, Wormley (B+, could need frosh Williams, Birchmeier) And Wallace (3 yrs experience) and possibly Effner (super sub), and possibly Christ. Wallace has had pass protection limitations, but getting a big/strong 3 year OL starter is a big plus. In addition to two of the most ready-to-play freshmen PSU has ever recruited, Wormley, Traore and Achumba getting over injuries could present positive surprises, or they could leave. who knows. I like the B+
TE: Warren, Johnson (A, I assume Strange will leave but Johnson stays) Strange already announced he is leaving. If Johnson stays I agree on an A. If he leaves I still give the group a B with Warren as the leader. Dinkins showed he can catch footballs and he should get bigger this winter. And with Cross and the 3 true freshmen it's probable that one or two will be ready to play as backups.
RB: Singleton, Allen (A) Yep, but if Lee leaves the staff might still bring in a transfer for insurance against an injury. Having only 1 of Singleton and Allen available backed up by the true freshmen could be risky with neither of the true frosh enrolling for Spring.

DT: Ellies, Beamon, Isaac (C- Undersized) Disagree. Izzard not Isaac is an active DT and with the other 2 plus Durrant form a pretty experienced 4 DT rotation that will have a chance to dominate average olines. Van den berg got some PT this season and he also adds some size to the rotation, as would Artis if he is ready after redshirting. If the staff adds a portal DT with size I'd give DT a B+. Otherwise a B.
DE: Robinson, Vanover, Isaac, Sutton (B Also undersized) If Vilbert comes back he will add size, and Fisher is pretty thick as well. B seems fair, but this group will dominate a good many OL's next season with their speed and pass rush.
LB: Carter, Jacobs, Elsdon, King (A- Rojas adds depth) Most LB discussions leave out Robinson. But if Robinson would have played his Sr season of H.S. he may have approached 5 star talent. He may have been the first LB offer that Franklin made for 2023 as he was noticed as an athletic freak a couple years ago. No I don't expect him to start. But if King keeps progressing and Robinson shows out this Spring Elsdon may not have a spot in the rotation. Either way Mike will improve. With Jacobs return this is a very solid A- group. Wylie might force his way into playing time as well. Better depth than PSU has had in a few years.
CB: King, Dixon (B+ players like Wilson need to improve)Duck is a very solid player with a physical build for a CB as well. B+ seems fair, and it would not be surprising for a freshmen like Washington to force his way into the rotation by midseason. Hope Miller gets more physical in the S&C program.
S: Ellis, Reed, Wheatley (C- we're really going to miss Brown)Also disagree here. Brown will be missed but Ellis played better as the season went along. And Reed, Wheatley and Winston give the team 4 very good young and very talented Safety's. I'm goind B- until one of them emerges as a tackling and takeaway leader like Brown has been.

Yep, special teams is pretty unknown. But getting the transfer punter, with a college resume, has to be a plus.

JMO

Last edited:
Thank God for Tinsley this season. He’s not flashy like Godwin or Dotson but he made some key receptions.

Reactions: RandyL
O
That's a fair assessment as well. I'm not worried about them heading into next year. Those positions graded lower is something that could be exposed against Michigan or Ohio State but I think we're clearly strong enough at every position that 10 wins shouldn't be an issue for us. This is a great team on paper. Great team.
Ok, now I am worried🧐

Thank God for Tinsley this season. He’s not flashy like Godwin or Dotson but he made some key receptions.

In my opinion Tinsley was just o.k. He did not instill fear in opposing defenses, and I doubt defense coordinators focused on how to stop Tinsley.

PSU needs difference makers with speed who will terrorize opposing defenses. Another K.J Hamler like receiver would be perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT