ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon St - Most intriguing matchup…

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Some people might cite AB #1 vs Muñoz #6, but Muñoz lost early at CKLV and I just can’t see anyone really making it interesting vs AB at this point unless it’s Hoagie on skating away to make it a one TD match.

So, I think it’s Beau #9, vs Cleveland Belton #15 (great name, by the way, sounds like a prohibition agent from 1922). Beau has looked more comfortable at 141, but has still has some work to do. Belton beat Filius at CKLV and lost to Ryan Jack, 6-1. I’ll say Beau by 3. What do people think? Thoughts? Predictions?

WE ARE!!!

I think Bearclaw vs Gambrall is an important match for Terrell. If he can't dominate an unranked wrestler, Levi will move one step closer to the line-up.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I think Bearclaw vs Gambrall is an important match for Terrell. If he can't dominate an unranked wrestler, Levi will move one step closer to the line-up.
until haines beats someone of note, why would he? they don't need him. if they didn't pull facundo last year when they expected to be in a close race, why would they pull haines this year?

until haines beats someone of note, why would he? they don't need him. if they didn't pull facundo last year when they expected to be in a close race, why would they pull haines this year?
Facundo for sure wasn’t scoring points last year after how he looked at the Scuffle and how good 165 is. Levi could still in a weight where #2 just lost to Gfeller.

Facundo for sure wasn’t scoring points last year after how he looked at the Scuffle and how good 165 is. Levi could still in a weight where #2 just lost to Gfeller.
true, but i think that is dependent on levi showing that, not barraclough struggling. if levi comes out and has a huge scuffle, then that could very well do it.

true, but i think that is dependent on levi showing that, not barraclough struggling. if levi comes out and has a huge scuffle, then that could very well do it.
It’s kind of an obvious thing to coaches also tbh. I’m a huge fan of Claw and while he is a tough rider and defender, his resume is mostly a lot of good losses but not much evidence he could beat NQ level guys by anything but a decision, certainly not 3-4 in a weekend. He’s likely going to draw a single digit seed first round also.

Reactions: jack66
Creighton Edsell beat Olguin last year. He also beat Meyer and Revano. I forgot who got it but I was kind of shocked he didn't get the wildcard. This was when he was battling some clear ailments with his back.

Creighton was a very good wrestler in the grand scheme of things and got underrated because we're so spoiled.

Why would they? You asked, here are 9 with about 30 seconds of thought.

1) If Levi isn't getting a full, a 5th year ain't cheap even at 75% scholy

2) Have you seen our upper weight pipeline lately? Look a again, then look up logjam in webster's

3) Maybe Max ain't an automatic 20-25

4) Iowa ain't so far back that we can simply waltz right in and win it with say a 40 point cushion, especially considering it's only December.

5) what if one of our big guns gets injured that's 20-25ish points right off the top. We already lost some points from Howard.

6) I'll argue as admirable as the Claw's development has been, his realistic ceiling is blood round, in order for Levi to be effective, he probably needs a full schedule between now and then to grow. There are no guarantees, but Levi's ceiling is higher.

7) What does Levi want, he's a competitor and if he wants to go now (unknown) maybe he should

8) from a points perspective it comes down to his value this year vs his value in year 5. Granted he will most surely give us more points 5 years from now, there is no way of knowing if we'll need them then as a new stud will undoubtedly be in the wings.

9) Many of us are impatient and want to be entertained.

I totally get that we are probably safe this year, and if Levi can afford to wait it's likely the best option. But to have your argument be a simple 'why' is pretty simplistic. Wrestling has a way of throwing curve balls and I tend to like insurance.

Reactions: ccdiver and zzs006

I thought everyone was aware a team needs 8 scoring wrestlers. 🤷‍♂️ ;)

Reactions: NittanyLion84
What are the chances we return a trip out to Corvallis next year? Ok st are coming out there in Jan this year. Pendleton is helping schedule that's for sure.

What are the chances we return a trip out to Corvallis next year? Ok st are coming out there in Jan this year. Pendleton is helping schedule that's for sure.
Certainly we will go to Oregon State in the near future as a return trip for them coming to PA twice.

Reactions: 1AA
I'll go with cattle baron, from mid to late 19th century.
giphy.gif

Reactions: ccdiver
Aside from the immensely enjoyable fan fiction on young Mr. Belton…what do people think about how this matchup will go down?

Reactions: ccdiver
Aside from the immensely enjoyable fan fiction on young Mr. Belton…what do people think about how this matchup will go down?
I had not seen Belton wrestle, so I just watched his match vs. Filius. Seems to have a similar body-type to Beau. Hit a nice double in the 1st for the only TD of the match. I think Beau is probably the superior athlete/scrambler, from limited data. I think your 3 point win sounds about right.

Last edited:
Reactions: NittanyChris
BB vs. Belton, Brooks vs Munoz, Dean vs Harvey.

I'm guessing that Brooks and Dean were sick last weekend. Brooks looked pretty low-energy in the one match he wrestled, and Max was gassed, which was something I had never seen before.

BB vs. Belton, Brooks vs Munoz, Dean vs Harvey.

I'm guessing that Brooks and Dean were sick last weekend. Brooks looked pretty low-energy in the one match he wrestled, and Max was gassed, which was something I had never seen before.
Be careful, Iowa's self appointed "keep BWI humble" angle with his superior knowledge will be around to tell you how silly you are.

JS (iowa's version not our beloved man of steel) I got your introduction done - you are up.

Be careful, Iowa's self appointed "keep BWI humble" angle with his superior knowledge will be around to tell you how silly you are.

JS (iowa's version not our beloved man of steel) I got your introduction done - you are up.

Looking forward to tomorrow's match with Oregon State. My sometime-correct, oft-wrong :) crystal ball would not be surprised with five or six bonus point wins for the Lions, and all-in-all eight or nine bout wins.

I like Brooks with a relatively easy win, but Munoz is tough to bonus.
Kaylor (125) is a good one, but at home and steadily improving, I'm looking for Steen to keep it close.
At 133, 149, 157, 174 and 285 PSU will be big favorites.
141 should be a PSU win, albeit a hard-fought one.
165 is a toss-up imo, but one an active (I like the way Facundo is wrestling) Alex should win.
At 197, Dean will wrestle HIS match and win by decision. Harvey doesn't get majored often.

Tommorrow is a Pre-Match social
Yep, but I probably won’t get there in time. That is why I asked about after. More time then.

I will see if I can get the Mrs out in time to make the pre match social.

Last edited:
Looking forward to tomorrow's match with Oregon State. My sometime-correct, oft-wrong :) crystal ball would not be surprised with five or six bonus point wins for the Lions, and all-in-all eight or nine bout wins.

Kaylor (125) is a good one, but at home and steadily improving, I'm looking for Steen to keep it close.
165 is a toss-up imo, but one an active (I like the way Facundo is wrestling) Alex should win.
At 197, Dean will wrestle HIS match and win by decision. Harvey doesn't get majored often.
Think all starters are going?

Yep, but I probably won’t get there in time. That is why I asked about after. More time then.

I will see if I can get the Mrs out in time to make the pre match social.
One BIG problem with a pre-match social. You’re watching the most exciting match of the day and it goes into OT. Problem is, you just can’t hold it any longer and you have no choice but to run to the men’s room.

• Haha
You all watching the weather? I’m debating buying a ticket and going but seven mountains in bad weather is no joke.

FYI - I know BK is really excited to go tomorrow. I don’t think he’s ever wrestled a dual in front of a crowd as big as he’ll see in Rec Hall, but big crowds usually motivate him. Wish I could be there to watch the dual live.

ADVERTISEMENT