ADVERTISEMENT

OT - 9 year old PA kid graduates from high school

LMTLION

Mar 20, 2008
Bucks County boy graduates high school at 9 and is member of MENSA (sorry if below pastes funny using my phone)

9-year-old boy graduates from Harrisburg-based high school
Updated: 6:52 PM EST Feb 3, 2023
https://www.wgal.com/news-team/dd3d1fae-1c80-4987-8033-777e744e3c47
Barbara Barr
Reporter

High school graduation is always a special time in a student's life.
But for a Bucks County boy, his graduation is making history – he's just 9 years old.

Advertisement
David Balogun received a diploma from Reach Cyber Charter School, which is based in Harrisburg.
"They didn't bog me down. They also advocated for me, saying, 'He can do this. He can do that,'" Balogun said.
He took classes remotely from his home in Bensalem. He loves science and computer programming.
"I want to be an astrophysicist, and I want to study black holes and supernovas," he said.
Balogun's parents have advanced degrees but raising a young son with extraordinary intellectual gifts is challenging.

"I had to get outside of the box. Playing pillow fights when you're not supposed to, throwing the balls in the house. He's a 9-year-old with the brain that has the capacity to understand and comprehend a lot of concepts beyond his years and sometimes beyond my understanding," Balogun's mother, Ronya, said.
A member of Mensa, Balogun credits a number of favorite teachers.
He taught them a thing or two in just the few years it took him to get through the 12th grade.
"David was an inspirational kid, definitely one who changes the way you think about teaching," science teacher Cody Derr said.
After completing a semester at Bucks County Community College, Balogun's family is looking at colleges and universities to try to find the right fit.
"Am I going to throw my 9-year-old into Harvard while I'm living in PA? No," Balogun's father, Henry, said.
Balogun's favorite thing is learning, but he also plays sports and the piano. He's working on his black belt in the martial arts.

Poor kid….high school and college goes by fast enough, this kid is on warp speed to adulthood.
Certainly will be some tough times. His father said the boy ‘ won’t go to Harvard while he(the father) lives in Pa’. So I am guessing whatever college gets him the father and/or mother will be given nearby jobs. And I am assuming colleges will recruit him with great vigor.

Certainly will be some tough times. His father said the boy ‘ won’t go to Harvard while he(the father) lives in Pa’. So I am guessing whatever college gets him the father and/or mother will be given nearby jobs. And I am assuming colleges will recruit him with great vigor.
Plenty of great schools in the southeast quadrant of PA if they want to stay that local for him, which realistically is probably an absolute considering his age. Or they can go a little further out to PSU, Bucknell, etc.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Bucks County boy graduates high school at 9 and is member of MENSA (sorry if below pastes funny using my phone)

Barbara Barr
Reporter

But for a Bucks County boy, his graduation is making history – he's just 9 years old.

Advertisement
David Balogun received a diploma from Reach Cyber Charter School, which is based in Harrisburg.
"They didn't bog me down. They also advocated for me, saying, 'He can do this. He can do that,'" Balogun said.
He took classes remotely from his home in Bensalem. He loves science and computer programming.
"I want to be an astrophysicist, and I want to study black holes and supernovas," he said.
Balogun's parents have advanced degrees but raising a young son with extraordinary intellectual gifts is challenging.

"I had to get outside of the box. Playing pillow fights when you're not supposed to, throwing the balls in the house. He's a 9-year-old with the brain that has the capacity to understand and comprehend a lot of concepts beyond his years and sometimes beyond my understanding," Balogun's mother, Ronya, said.
He taught them a thing or two in just the few years it took him to get through the 12th grade.
"David was an inspirational kid, definitely one who changes the way you think about teaching," science teacher Cody Derr said.
After completing a semester at Bucks County Community College, Balogun's family is looking at colleges and universities to try to find the right fit.
"Am I going to throw my 9-year-old into Harvard while I'm living in PA? No," Balogun's father, Henry, said.
Balogun's favorite thing is learning, but he also plays sports and the piano. He's working on his black belt in the martial arts.
Sounds well rounded with level headed parents.

Poor kid….high school and college goes by fast enough, this kid is on warp speed to adulthood.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm glad to see the high school was accommodating to what he and the parents wanted. That's not been my experience with public school.

Reactions: PA college fan
So what’s next? Get his college degree in two years and his masters in another year? Then what? Get a job at 12? When does he get to be a kid?
Do you remember Jamie Colby, a Fox News reporter that did a series called Strange Inheritance? I always thought she looked like an airhead and a bit of a bimbo.

Boy was I wrong. Her mother was a professor at UCLA and was homeschooled and she would sit in on her mother’s lectures. She graduated high school at twelve years old. Went to U Miami and graduated at 16. Wanted to go to med school but none would accept her so she went to law school board at U Miami. Graduated with a doctorate Jurisprudence at age 20. Then was Johnny Carson’s attorney renegotiated his contract and worked on his divorce….at age 22.

Last edited:
So what’s next? Get his college degree in two years and his masters in another year? Then what? Get a job at 12? When does he get to be a kid?
Agreed. I’ve had some kids who’ve been super smart, maybe not quite as smart as this kid, but graduated at 14 or 15. They go on to college and by the time they are 20 they are working in a lab somewhere or getting a doctorate. Every one of them except one was socially immature and had trouble reading people in society.

Do you remember Jamie Colby, a Fox News rortermthat did a series called Strange Inheritance? I always thought she looked like an airhead and a bit of a bimbo.

Boy was I wrong. Her mother was a professor at UCLA and was homeschooled and she would sit in on her mother’s lectures. She graduated high school at twelve years old. Went to U Miami and graduated at 16. Wanted to go to med school but none would accept her so she went to law school board at U Miami. Graduated with a doctorate Jurisprudence at age 22. Then was Johnny Carson’s attorney renegotiated his contract and worked on his divorce….at age 22.
I have no doubt this kid will be successful, but at what cost? Finishing school with a doctorate at 22 is a little different than finishing at 15 or so like this kid would be. I just think we spend enough of our lives working, why make that time even longer and miss out on the fun part of life? But I was never in that situation, so I couldn’t know.

Agreed. I’ve had some kids who’ve been super smart, maybe not quite as smart as this kid, but graduated at 14 or 15. They go on to college and by the time they are 20 they are working in a lab somewhere or getting a doctorate. Every one of them except one was socially immature and had trouble reading people in society.
And likely never had any real friends…it’s hard to be friends with kids that are that much older and the kids their own age don’t understand them.

I have no doubt this kid will be successful, but at what cost? Finishing school with a doctorate at 22 is a little different than finishing at 15 or so like this kid would be. I just think we spend enough of our lives working, why make that time even longer and miss out on the fun part of life? But I was never in that situation, so I couldn’t know.
The problem is that kids this incredibly intelligent get bored if not challenged. They need accelerated academics.

The challenge is to get the proper balance. Allow him to progress at his speed while also protecting him and allowing time to mature. Not going tp be easy

The problem is that kids this incredibly intelligent get bored if not challenged. They need accelerated academics.

The challenge is to get the proper balance. Allow him to progress at his speed while also protecting him and allowing time to mature. Not going tp be easy
I imagine the parents are under considerable pressure to find that balance. They seem to allow him to be incredibly well-rounded between piano, sports and working on his black belt, all while he is starting college at 9!

Definitely true….I don’t know what the answer is. I had to find a balance between academics and partying….it was rough, but luckily I was gifted.😀

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Would be interesting to see what special arrangements they would have to make for him to work at 12. Most states require someone to be 14 to work and have a lot of limits on when they can work, how many hours per day and per week they can work.

We had a child prodigy in our private all guys high school. Dude was 10 as a frosh and graduated at 14. Never shaved or drove. He was on the swim team but not at all competitive. Developed a few friendships with other top top students but not many. Then as a senior found a friend group who welcomes anyone...became a total burner. Grew his hair longer (but within guidel8nes) and wore flannel shirts with a tie and blazer ( about as radical as we could dress within the code).

There is nothing wrong with that...but I often thought what would have been the harm for him to not be sooooo accelerated and maybe just track along and be at the top of his class?

I know there are studies about how negative it is to be "bored" in school....but what about living all the other parts of life? As a teacher I see parents fight for the "Gifted" label. Some kids truly are...they are unicorns. Others bring evidence from their own private evaluators and BINGO....kid is gifted or we are getting sued. Those kids may suffer more from the pressure than benefit from the label. It can be sad to watch.

My wife and son are Mensans. They view the world differently. Sometimes I have no idea what they are talking about- and frankly don't care.

For shits and giggles my wife took the National Security Agency test after graduating college. She said it was the hardest test she ever took. People were getting up and walking out. She just puttered along and at the end had only completed maybe 20% of the questions. SHE PASSED. It was all part of the mind **** to toy with the egg heads who are used to easy going.

Anyway- looks like the parents have their heads screwed on straight.

Good luck to them.

Correlation isn’t causation. I’m close with the family of a brilliant 12 year old who’s skipped a couple grades. He’s on the spectrum as is often the case. His parents and social coaches have done an amazing job but he’s never going to empathize or read a room like the rest of us.

Barbara Barr
Reporter

Advertisement

Two parents that give a chit privilege.

We had a child prodigy in our private all guys high school. Dude was 10 as a frosh and graduated at 14. Never shaved or drove. He was on the swim team but not at all competitive. Developed a few friendships with other top top students but not many. Then as a senior found a friend group who welcomes anyone...became a total burner. Grew his hair longer (but within guidel8nes) and wore flannel shirts with a tie and blazer ( about as radical as we could dress within the code).

There is nothing wrong with that...but I often thought what would have been the harm for him to not be sooooo accelerated and maybe just track along and be at the top of his class?

I know there are studies about how negative it is to be "bored" in school....but what about living all the other parts of life? As a teacher I see parents fight for the "Gifted" label. Some kids truly are...they are unicorns. Others bring evidence from their own private evaluators and BINGO....kid is gifted or we are getting sued. Those kids may suffer more from the pressure than benefit from the label. It can be sad to watch.

My wife and son are Mensans. They view the world differently. Sometimes I have no idea what they are talking about- and frankly don't care.

For shits and giggles my wife took the National Security Agency test after graduating college. She said it was the hardest test she ever took. People were getting up and walking out. She just puttered along and at the end had only completed maybe 20% of the questions. SHE PASSED. It was all part of the mind **** to toy with the egg heads who are used to easy going.

Anyway- looks like the parents have their heads screwed on straight.

Good luck to them.
I was never at this level, but the school did want me to skip a grade in elementary school so I wouldn’t be bored, but my parents said no way due to the social skills side of things (I guess it could be argued that it didn’t work😀) but my parents wanted me to have a normal childhood.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I knew a girl that was Asian that was my office mate at my first job. She graduated high school at 16, so basically two years early. Went to an Ivy school and graduated at 20 years old (typical 4 years) and had a double major (why it took her four years). She was academic smart, but I would say not super practical smart. She actually was relatively personable so not a huge issue with being socially awkward. But sitting in an office with her for many hours, I would ask her about it. Basically her parents pushed her hard (they were first generation americans) to excel academically hence skipping grades. She did say if she had to do it again, she would not have done it this way. Looking back, she said the missed out on so many high school and college events due to being 2 years younger then everyone. No prom, no parties in high school. Never got to go out to bars in college.

...and moving forward, he'll never get the chance to play tackle football. (oops, that is New York state)

I knew a girl that was Asian that was my office mate at my first job. She graduated high school at 16, so basically two years early. Went to an Ivy school and graduated at 20 years old (typical 4 years) and had a double major (why it took her four years). She was academic smart, but I would say not super practical smart. She actually was relatively personable so not a huge issue with being socially awkward. But sitting in an office with her for many hours, I would ask her about it. Basically her parents pushed her hard (they were first generation americans) to excel academically hence skipping grades. She did say if she had to do it again, she would not have done it this way. Looking back, she said the missed out on so many high school and college events due to being 2 years younger then everyone. No prom, no parties in high school. Never got to go out to bars in college.
Met a girl at Penn State the was a junior at age seventeen. Graduated high school at 16, took advanced tests that exempted a year and a half of college, started school in summer right out high school. Was classified as a junior credit wise before her eighteenth birthday. Good looking, and charming too.

Last edited:
Met a girl at Penn State the was a junior at age seventeen. Graduated high school at 16, took advanced tests that exempted a year and a half of college, started school in summer right out high school. Was classified as a junior credit wise before her eighteenth birthday. Good,looking, and charming too.
Brad Daugherty, the NBA player, was 16 when he played for Duke as a freshman

Daugherty was one of the greatest big men ever to play at the University of North Carolina. He entered college as a 16-year-old freshman and was a two-time All-ACC first team selection, and a first team All-American in 1986. He was named to the ACC 50th Anniversary men's basketball team in 2002 and was inducted into the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame. Daugherty averaged more than twenty points per game in his senior season.​

Brad Daugherty, the NBA player, was 16 when he played for Duke as a freshman

Daugherty was one of the greatest big men ever to play at the University of North Carolina. He entered college as a 16-year-old freshman and was a two-time All-ACC first team selection, and a first team All-American in 1986. He was named to the ACC 50th Anniversary men's basketball team in 2002 and was inducted into the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame. Daugherty averaged more than twenty points per game in his senior season.​
There was also a young kid often going into or out of what I think was the Willard Building which was the mathematics building. Looked to be 13-14 years old. Always wondered if he was a student or the son of a professor in the building.

There was also a young kid often going into or out of what I think was the Willard Building which was the mathematics building. Looked to be 13-14 years old. Always wondered if he was a student or the son of a professor in the building.
Fall of 95 I was a soph taking Math 250, Differential Equations, and when I walked in to class on the first day I saw a 'kid' in the front row who looked around 12. I assumed he was the prof's kid but what do you know, that joker takes a syllabus and is taking notes. Every day, front row, not saying a word.

We take the first test about 4 weeks later and get them back in class a couple days after that. Prof puts up the class avg (73) and the max score (100), he then tells us that since there was a student who was able to get a 100 that we should not expect any type of 'curve' and that the next test will be harder. Want to guess who got the 100? Yeah, the kid who looked 12. (Not sure how old he really was.....)

The next one was harder and this time the class avg was 68 and the max was only 96. Doogie Howser in the front row was visibly upset that he 'only' got a 96. There were a few of us very happy with our C's that semester.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT