ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone ever make a good steak & cheese sandwich at home?

Class of 67

Jan 30, 2007
I'm not from the Philly area, so I need help. I have a meat cutter, so have the capability to cut meat any thickness. I'm guessing pre-packaged frozen sandwich meat is not the best, so what cut off meat would be ideal, and how to cook it? I have a meat slicer, so have the capability to cut meat any thickness. What kind of bread? Cheese? Condiments?

I do it all the time...

...when rib eye is on sale. Freeze the steaks (boneless rib eyes) about halfway then slice them thin on the slicer.

As for bread, whatever is available to you. Amaroso rolls if you can find them. Sometimes I just use Publix sub rolls. Cheese can be anything from American or Provolone to Wiz. As for condiments, I'm different in that I like lettuce, tomato, and mayo on mine. I do like to grill sliced jalapenos w/ the meat as well. Green bell peppers and onions would be my next choices.

I make one that everyone who eats raves about

If you have a good meat cutter, then go to the grocery/butcher and get a nice cut of ribeye. Slice each piece (1 per sandwich) about a quarter inch thick and grill it. Saute some onions, peppers, and mushrooms for topping. Melt some good provolone cheese on top. The key is good bread. I like the "take and bake" buns/rolls that many grocery stores have. Throw them on the grill at the proper temp per the instructions on the bread bag. They will have a nice crispy outside with a soft doughy inside. Simply put.... they are phenominiall. Of course, you could simply bastardize a steak and cheese sandwich with steak-ums type meat and cheese-wiz, but now that would be plain stupid.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Partially freeze the meat, you'll get a thinner and more consistent slice. Salt and pepper (sometimes I use a little Lowry's), and sautee in a few drops of oil with some thin peppers and onions (or toppings of choice). Little squirt of water at the end, and cheese of choice, and cover to steam and melt. Place in good toasted roll. Filet works nice, but other cuts of meat work too.

Last night actually. Italian rolls of some kind and I always use Nabisco Easy Cheese or Cheeze Wiz everytime. It's one of the few things I make well.
This post was edited on 3/22 10:58 AM by PSUriseANDfire

Rib eye, but seasoned (Montreal seasoning works good, or whatever other seasoning you like), sliced about 1/4 inch. Keep it whole. Grill, we like Boursin with shallots and chives as the cheese, grill onions, peppers, and even shrooms if you like. Get really good sub rolls, crusty on outside, soft inside, and viola! A great steak and cheese. You can even ask Tom McA. He has had one of ours at a tailgate!

This post was edited on 3/22 3:06 PM by rudedude

^^ man makes a good cheesesteak ^^ ...

as I had one at his tailgate -- think that was for the 2013 Michigan game.

the other responses are valid options. Some folks I know swear by the partial freezing before slicing, while others don't seem to care about. I think a lot of it has to do with how thick you like the meat slices. The meat used at steak sandwich/cheesesteak places is really thin, and most do partially freeze it to make it easier to slice at that thickness.

A good cheesesteak can be ruined by a bad roll, so do try to get good rolls when you make your 1st attempt at this.

Tom

With all due respect Class of 67, it's a "Cheesesteak"

Not a steak and cheese. I fairly boiled with rage hearing my hometown's pride and joy called that while in the DC area.

Not a shot at you - just setting the record straight.

Since you're not from the Philly area, I recommend giving up. It's not going work.

Re: With all due respect Class of 67, it's a "Cheesesteak"

Originally posted by Chickenman Testa:
Not a steak and cheese. I fairly boiled with rage hearing my hometown's pride and joy called that while in the DC area.

Not a shot at you - just setting the record straight.
laugh.r191677.gif

Grant Green suggested Ribeye Steak (some time ago).............

IIRC

Here's the thing, though. Thinly slice the ribeye, add onions, salt/pepper, (mushrooms and/or green peppers, if you like). Now, here's the secret....

...add some of Gia Russo Sicilian spaghetti sauce (hot, of course) to the top and top it off thinly sliced FRESH mozzarella on top and BAKE in a 500 degree preheated oven till bread slightly browns and cheese melts.

TRUST ME!!!!!!

For a cheesesteak you do need a good roll -- prefer one that is not t00 thick so you do not get too big a mouthful of bread. Although it pains me to say it, the best cheese really is basic warmed chez whiz -- not kidding. I have tried all sorts of cheese, doctored and undoctored, and in the end the best recipe is a good sub roll that is a bit so you get a little crackle to the crust, rib eye steak thinly sliced and cooked until just browned on a griddle, slow cooked onions but not carmelized are optional, and a good dose of hot chez whiz.

Now the better version -- Italian beef. Same bun and same meat -- substantial dose of giardiniera and dipped in au jus -- whole thing roll and all. Best with thick cut homemade fries and Old Style beer.

I found a good bakery in my area that makes burger buns that have the right crust. Its that crackly but not too firm crust that is key so I go with those even though the shape is wrong.

This post was edited on 3/22 3:36 PM by smaturin

It seems everyone is suggesting ribeye, and that is a common ingredient, but a truly authentic Philadelphia cheesesteak uses top round sliced hair thin against the grain. The original idea behind the cheesesteake was to find a way to make a tough cut of meat tender enough to eat quickly without having to slow roast or slow braise it for a long period of time. The meat should be fried on a griddle, or whatever griddle-like frying utensil is available, over medium heat with salt and pepper, browned and then chopped into small pieces with the end of a spatula, and served with sauteed onions. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, the roll is another key ingredient. A long, soft, Italian torpedo roll is necessary for authenticity. A proper roll can be even harder to find outside Philly than the proper cut of meat. If you can find amoroso's, use it. Otherwise, look 'em up on the interwebs to get an idea of what might make an acceptable substitute. And of course, and although American and Provolone are frequently used, for proper authenticity it's gotta be cheez whiz. Warmed Cheez Whiz, melted to the point of flowing, slathered over the top. And that's what it's all about. The rest is all fluff.

This post was edited on 3/22 6:05 PM by mhentz

Most importaint thing to a good cheesesteak is the bun.

I was at a booksale once and picked up a book with a cd on Philly cheesesteaks and they stressed the importance of a good, fresh bun as the key to a good sandwich. The book was written from the Philly area and they listed some of the better places in the Delaware valley to eat at. They gave me the impression that the bun and roll makers in Philly are very competetive and take no prisioners when it comes to the business.

Santa is a cookie and milk stealing sob!

mad0020.r191677.gif

Just kidding. But to a man, we are serious about our Cheesesteaks and Hoagies.

That's right Chickenman. And its a roll,not a bun.

It is pretty interesting to see the different names given to the same foods. In Philadelphia its a Cheesesteak. It consists of thin steak, a roll, and your choice of cheeses along with maybe fried onions and mushrooms. I like a steak shop that has the sliced pickles in jars along with whole and banana hot peppers. You can also get a Pizza Steak with that being mozerella and pizza sauce on your steak. The best steak in Philadelphia is Steves Prince of Steaks at Bustleton avenue and St. Vincent street in the northeast section of the city.

proper roll can be even harder to find outside Philly', you don't know how

true this is!!! You can't buy bread, rolls, pizza dough, anywhere near this town!!!.

The best cheese is....

The American served at Steve's Price of Steaks in NE Philadelphia. Its a melted American and it blows the cheese wiz away. I don't recommend settling for the cheese wiz even though its easy. take the time to experiment. Putting sliced cheese on the steak while still on the grill always works.

Update on my cheesesteak sandwich results

Thanks for all the suggestions. I considered all, plus some youtube instructions. My results were very good; nice comments from the family. Here's what I did:

I bought ribeye, partially froze it, and sliced it paper thin with my meat slicer. I marinated the sliced meat with Worcestershire and teriyaki sauces ahead. In olive oil I sauteed green and red peppers, onions, and mushrooms; flavored it with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder; and set it aside. I browned the meat in a little olive oil and combined it with the veggies; sans the liquid fat. I split Italian rolls and filled them with generous portions of the meat/ veggie mix. This was topped with provolone and placed in the oven until the cheese melted and the buns warmed. I folded over the results to the extent possible and sliced each sandwich in half, which exposed the filling for presentation and made the sandwiches easier to handle. I complemented the sandwiches with homemade fries cut thin and baked with olive oil and Creole seasoning. Finally, I served a side salad. It was delicious.

Sure - you used to be able to buy shaved ribeye

Originally posted by Class of 67:
I'm not from the Philly area, so I need help. I have a meat cutter, so have the capability to cut meat any thickness. I'm guessing pre-packaged frozen sandwich meat is not the best, so what cut off meat would be ideal, and how to cook it? I have a meat slicer, so have the capability to cut meat any thickness. What kind of bread? Cheese? Condiments?
Frozen of course. The brand was Landis, but that was many many years ago. That's step one - shaved ribeye. That's required.

The bun? You will have to explore. Most in the supermarket are too soft. Need something with a bit of texture.

Cheese? Cheese Whiz has been mentioned. I like regular old American.

Onions, peppers, shrooms...... Saute 'em up.

Pickles, banana peppers.... Love the acidity of the vinegar.

A bit of tomato sauce...

Easy peasy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT