ADVERTISEMENT

OT:appealing admission to University Park

katchthis

Sep 3, 2004
Background info:Senior, perfect score on Math SAT's, 8th class rank out of 550, GPA over 4.0, with numerous AP courses, Volleyball player, and HS activities. Accepted to Harrisburg Campus for Computer Science. I would have thought the kid would be a slam dunk for Main Campus. Are there any strategies to pursue at this time? Thanks in advance.

Background info:Senior, perfect score on Math SAT's, 8th class rank out of 550, GPA over 4.0, with numerous AP courses, Volleyball player, and HS activities. Accepted to Harrisburg Campus for Computer Science. I would have thought the kid would be a slam dunk for Main Campus. Are there any strategies to pursue at this time? Thanks in advance.
if he wants a Big Campus experience, maybe consider Temple or Pitt as well.

Applying for summer session or LEAP would be the best option/chance to get in.

Computer Science is ran out of the College of Engineering at UP, and is extremely competitive. It may be a case of applying later in the cycle, and they can't take many more.

It's been a while but I recall hearing that if unable to get admitted for certain competitive majors to ask them to reconsider the application under 'division of undergrad studies' rather than major 'X'.

Given the credentials that katchthis posted, I have to wonder what it takes to get into Computer Science at UP these days.

Have you asked the Admissions Office for an explanation? It seems that a phone call to them would be the place to start.

Computer Science has a limited number of spaces available and each year only the top advance. There is a minimum GPA (quite high) required as you advance. Total number of slots each year is capped. It is one of the toughest fields to enter. My son went through this and dropped an elective class because he had a B that would drop his average. He spent his first 2 years at Behrend in Erie. Good luck.

Computer Science has a limited number of spaces available and each year only the top advance. There is a minimum GPA (quite high) required as you advance. Total number of slots each year is capped. It is one of the toughest fields to enter. My son went through this and dropped an elective class because he had a B that would drop his average. He spent his first 2 years at Behrend in Erie. Good luck.

Behrend has some fantastic professors in various engineering and business disciplines.....it's a very nice campus.

Hope your son enjoyed it.

if he wants a Big Campus experience, maybe consider Temple or Pitt as well.
Screw going to Pitt or Temple. The kid wants to go to Penn State....not those places. I don't have any good suggestions other than don't give up and settle going somewhere else.

Given the credentials that katchthis posted, I have to wonder what it takes to get into Computer Science at UP these days.

Yeah- I have no idea. I just remember a guy who was in charge of an SAT prep course telling the room (a long time ago) that you can ask for reconsideration under Division of undergraduate studies at PSU and that was often successful in cases where a certain major was highly competitive. Once there the kid can taylor his courses and declare whatever major he wishes later (and let's face it- kids majors often change like 3 times anyway ;)).

Reactions: Doc-M
Yeah- I have no idea. I just remember a guy who was in charge of an SAT prep course telling the room (a long time ago) that you can ask for reconsideration under Division of undergraduate studies at PSU and that was often successful in cases where a certain major was highly competitive. Once there the kid can taylor his courses and declare whatever major he wishes later (and let's face it- kids majors often change like 3 times anyway ;)).

CMPSC is a tightly controlled major. It's not easy to go from DUS into CMPSC.

Damn I have a tough time believing he wouldn't be accepted at UP, but I'm not as familiar with CS as the other options in the engineering school. You sure he didn't mistakenly forget to check he was applying to University Park on his application???

Damn I have a tough time believing he wouldn't be accepted at UP, but I'm not as familiar with CS as the other options in the engineering school. You sure he didn't mistakenly forget to check he was applying to University Park on his application???

This (what the OP mentioned) is not uncommon at all.

CMPSC is limited in the number of slots and is one of the most competitive majors on the UP campus.

Reactions: bison13 and Doc-M
This (what the OP mentioned) is not uncommon at all.

CMPSC is limited in the number of slots and is one of the most competitive majors on the UP campus.

I understand that, but limited to how many? Like 40 kids freshman year?

And don't the actual limitations start when kids apply for their major concentration in their sophomore year? I don't understand why they would turn qualified kids down so early, especially when the first 2 years are mostly taking the same classes as all other engineering majors.

I understand that, but limited to how many? Like 40 kids freshman year?

And don't the actual limitations start when kids apply for their major concentration in their sophomore year? I don't understand why they would turn qualified kids down so early, especially when the first 2 years are mostly taking the same classes as all other engineering majors.

I don't have the exact numbers, but they're not very high.

But let's say it is 40. If a prospect applies after 40 other highly qualified students are accepted.....that prospect is SOL.

I don't have the exact numbers, but they're not very high.

But let's say it is 40. If a prospect applies after 40 other highly qualified students are accepted.....that prospect is SOL.

I understand. I'm just questioning why they put a limit on a specific major for incoming freshman when the concentration isn't determined until sophomore going into junior year.

My thought is they should accept all kids just as engineering majors, let them compete for the first year and a half and then make the cut down to get into majors. Eliminating a talented kid like this before he gets a chance to prove himself doesn't seem like the best way to have the most competitive engineering school possible.

I guess that's why others have suggested going the DUS route.

Pick undeclared as the major and indicate that willing to start in the summer; get the grades and switch into comp sci later.

Screw going to Pitt or Temple. The kid wants to go to Penn State....not those places. I don't have any good suggestions other than don't give up and settle going somewhere else.
Hey man, I respectfully suggested tow other state schools that have large student populations and campuses. I get that the kid wants to go to PSU but PSU isn't the be all end all in this world. Both are excellent schools, I have no idea what the Harrisburg campus scene is like. It was just a suggestion.

Reactions: Nashville Lion
Hey man, I respectfully suggested tow other state schools that have large student populations and campuses. I get that the kid wants to go to PSU but PSU isn't the be all end all in this world. Both are excellent schools, I have no idea what the Harrisburg campus scene is like. It was just a suggestion.

I actually thought you were joking, since those schools suck. (I realize their academics are OK, not as good as PSU but OK... I'm just commenting on the school as a whole.)

Pitt might even offer him a full ride, they are BIG on buying admission statistics to make their school appear better than it is. I know of kids that didn't get accepted to PSU, or were accepted and offered no scholarship money at PSU.... who were offered a full ride at Pitt.

00's DUS suggestion, or some variation of same, seems like a strategy worth pursuing.

IOW, ask for a reconsideration using a different area of interest. After gaining admittance, the kid can use his own wile to get himself where he wants to be with his course work.

Well, I apologize if I came off as a jerk. I thought you were being a wise ass to the guy....when it is obvious the kid's dream is to be a Penn stater. For most people, you get one shot at undergrad and you want that experience to be everything it can be. I cannot imagine not being accepted into the school I wanted.
From my own personal experiences, there is quite a huge difference between PSU and Pitt/Temple. I realize all three schools are good...but the alumni network and family are top notch at PSU. The PSU name makes a huge difference and there are many of us everywhere and we tend to look out for each other.

I understand. I'm just questioning why they put a limit on a specific major for incoming freshman when the concentration isn't determined until sophomore going into junior year.

My thought is they should accept all kids just as engineering majors, let them compete for the first year and a half and then make the cut down to get into majors. Eliminating a talented kid like this before he gets a chance to prove himself doesn't seem like the best way to have the most competitive engineering school possible.

I guess that's why others have suggested going the DUS route.

Because they choose not to do it that way and it's not all that uncommon. Guess they figure it's better to tell a kid when he applies that his desired field of study is unavailble rather than have him waste time and money pursuing it. Good friend's daughter was denied admission to a major at another Big Ten school after two years. Had to transfer to another school and start over virtually from square one. Two years and close to $100K down the shit hole.

00's DUS suggestion, or some variation of same, seems like a strategy worth pursuing.

IOW, ask for a reconsideration using a different area of interest. After gaining admittance, the kid can use his own wile to get himself where he wants to be with his course work.

It's not worth pursuing without talking directly to a DUS and College of Engineering (at UP) adviser because it's very difficult and may not be possible.

My suggestion to the OP is first, to try to get into summer session and/or LEAP. Second, talk to DUS/COE about the DUS option if the first idea won't work.

Penn State denies UP admission to a lot of Pennsylvania resident students so it can allow international students and out-of-state students to take those slots. I think its an outrage and the state legislature needs to look into it. After all, it is OUR state school and should be prioritizing education for Pennsylvania kids first. If out-of-state students or international students want to come to PSU so badly, let THEM start at the branch campuses and move to UP after two years.

Reactions: Tri-Power65
My Penn State roommate's son was just accepted to PSU UP campus for fall of 2016 in Comp Sci. His GPA is not above a 4.0 but I have no idea what his test scores are. His only extracurricular activity is band.

I have no idea what criteria they use, but I would suggest asking to start in the summer.

Penn State denies UP admission to a lot of Pennsylvania resident students so it can allow international students and out-of-state students to take those slots. I think its an outrage and the state legislature needs to look into it. After all, it is OUR state school and should be prioritizing education for Pennsylvania kids first. If out-of-state students or international students want to come to PSU so badly, let THEM start at the branch campuses and move to UP after two years.

I was told once by a HS guidance counselor that PSU also takes in-state geography and demographics into consideration as well. When it gets down to numbers, a well credentialed applicant from the Philly suburbs, for example, may find it more difficult to gain admission at UP than someone with similar credentials from, say, Tioga County. Don't know if this is true, but have heard this from more than one source.

I could be wrong but I think it comes down to GPA, class rank and test scores only. They don't care about extracurricular fluff.

I am surprised given what you posted he wasn't admitted to Main.

Admittance in to a particular College (e.g. Engr, Educ...) can be very subjective. In an attempt to achieve sufficient diversity in an incoming class (gender, race, geographic, socio-economic) it sometimes happens that there isn't a slot for someone, especially later in the application process.

Before contesting the application, I suggest that this individual and parents schedule some meeting with Advisors within the College of Engineering (preferably someone who specializes in Comp Sci) to get better advice.

Admittance into a certain major can often be relationship-based so it's important for this interested student to start building an academic relationship with advisors and perhaps even key faculty. If an Advisor /Dean gets to know a student and sees that they are truly motivated to pursue a particular major, they will help the student get into the College of choice, maybe not immediately however.

I'd start researching contacts and arranging meetings here

https://www.engr.psu.edu/Advising/default.aspx

If you were to look at the incoming Freshmen who got in at UP, you might know exactly what happened. There are other considerations than just academic qualifications.This is the world we live in.

Sleep with the Dean. Worked for me. ;-)

Reactions: bison13
Really hard to believe based on what I know of students that have been accepted at UP into Engineering over the last couple years. Unless the other sections of the SAT were non-competitive (which would be hard to believe with a perfect math score), I can't see what would keep your kid out. I understand people saying that Computer Science has a limited quota, but you are applying to the College of Engineering as a freshman and not CMPSC, correct? I would absolutely try to contact admissions and specifically College of Engineering admissions. Lots of good schools out there and won't be a problem with those credentials, but this is a head-scratcher and you deserve an explanation and the kid deserves to have PSU Main as an option based on what I see.

Change major to undeclared, then once at UP, can ultimately get into the major.
We have friends, their son has credentials similar to yours and was not admitted to UP for engineering last year. He changed to undeclared and got in. Incredibly he was admitted to Schreyers, but could not get right into his major. Once at UP, he will earn his way into the engineering program.

My son is a freshman at UP, (not engineering, and loving it both academically and socially. Good Luck!!

Change major to undeclared, then once at UP, can ultimately get into the major.
We have friends, their son has credentials similar to yours and was not admitted to UP for engineering last year. He changed to undeclared and got in. Incredibly he was admitted to Schreyers, but could not get right into his major. Once at UP, he will earn his way into the engineering program.

Again, this can be done.......but one should never assume this will always happen.

There are very specific courses/grades/time requirements that DUS students face when entering the College of Engineering, specifically the CMPSC major.

The best bet is dad/student have a conversation with admissions (about summer admission and/or LEAP) and then DUS at University Park. Then, you'll be able to get a plan in motion.

Admissions can be reached at (814) 865-5471.

DUS can be reached at (814) 865-7576.

Note that today is the last day UP is open until January 4. Don't expect to have any substantive answer until after that date because both offices likely have skeleton crews at this point in time.

I was told once by a HS guidance counselor that PSU also takes in-state geography and demographics into consideration as well. When it gets down to numbers, a well credentialed applicant from the Philly suburbs, for example, may find it more difficult to gain admission at UP than someone with similar credentials from, say, Tioga County. Don't know if this is true, but have heard this from more than one source.
Last year my son was accepted into the school of engineering (and I believe ComSci, but not sure) at UP as an out of state student. His credentials were good, but not as good as the OP. So my experience seems to support your theory. He ended up not going to PSU due to the cost and lack of financial aid, compared to another school he was accepted at.

My son, now a senior in the combined finance/accounting major, was initially denied admissions to the main campus. His 2nd semester (senior year high school), he aced, and reapplied/appealed to PSU,---was then accepted at main providing he attended the summer freshman session at PSU, -- which he did, and has since prospered.
Have your daughter keep her chin up, accomplish in her senior year, and reapply. Would another recommendation letter help? Volunteerism?
Good luck.

I would call if you can... That seems very odd to me. (My daughter just got in to college of Engineering with a similar app as yours)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT