ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BBQ Grill update- looks like I'll try to convert my Weber from NG to LP

PSU95alum

Jul 27, 2006
I'm pretty sure it can be done for around $50. I need 4 new orifices, 3 for the regular burners and 1 for the side burner. The new orifices have to be drilled to create holes that are smaller than the current NG orifice holes. I also need an LP regulator/hose to connect to propane tank. Thanks to those who recommended this option.

If anyone else has ever converted from NG to LP, I'd love to hear if you had good luck or not. Thanks.

I've thought of converting "the other way", LP to NG....

....so I'm curious to see how it turns out for you, PSU95.

I don't have nearly as big of a run from gas line/manifold to grill, so it would be easy in that sense.

Buy a new grill; else let us know where to send flowers when you burn down the house or yourself.

Hey PSU95 - I aleady did what you are trying to do on my Weber Silver. I bought the one below and it has been working fine for several years. The only minor issue is that any "major" adjustments with gas flow are made with the new regulator and minor adjustments can be done with your knobs. By the way....weber will not sell you the parts to convert your grill for some reason.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PS0938/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000VXEW4G&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03X267V1A7DX84W9A3WP

I had a dealer do the convert on my Vermont Castings grill - NG to LP.

I wasn't satisfied with the results. While the conversion was affordable, the grill burned much too hot. The low setting was like hot and the hot setting was like the super sun setting. Grilling became a test of timing for edible food.

I sold that converted Vermont Castings grill via Craig's List for $250 and bought the Weber LP. I don't regret that decision.

My advice. Sell your grill and buy a new one.

You can actually do the whole thing with a new manifold from Weber

Including new orifices. Did it myself a few years ago from propane to NG for about $50 plus the hose and adaptor. Didn't need to use my twenty years experience as a natural gas engineer for that one

To convert the other way (from LP to NG) you can actually do it by yourself

on the cheap. You just need to drill the holes in the orifice a little larger than they are (look around online for proper drill diameter). Propane holes are much smaller than the NG holes in the orifices. Then, simply get rid of your current LP regulator/hose and get the 10' hose line for NG. I assume your NG line already has a regulator inline somewhere???

Hahaha, thanks for the vote of confidence ;) I'm a classic DIY'er so I'm

willing to take on the risk. The only place I pass on the risk is when it comes to my electrical panel. F that!

Yah, I can see how that could work, but my preference is to make

it as good as if it came out of the factory as an LP. That includes replacing all the orifices and getting an LP regulator/hose line. Thanks!

Sounds like they didn't replace the orifices or if they did, they still had

the holes too big. Liquid propane needs much smaller holes than gaseous NG. Otherwise, it'll burn way too hot.

Weber no longer sells anything for conversion, so not sure. But I

found a few places where you can buy new orifices for the proper fuel type. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT