ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Better Call Saul--Mike's Five-O Episode (no spoilers)

NewEra 2014

Jan 3, 2014
I don't know how many folks have been keeping up with the show Better Call Saul, but the most recent episode that gave Mike Ehrmantraut's background was quite powerful. Jonathan Banks has always been a good character actor, and he absolutely knocked it out of the park in this episode. He has probably just set the bar in the Emmy race for Best Supporting Actor.

Overall, I am really enjoying Better Call Saul. Vince Gilligan and co. know how to make compelling television.

Originally posted by NewEra 2014:
I don't know how many folks have been keeping up with the show Better Call Saul, but the most recent episode that gave Mike Ehrmantraut's background was quite powerful. Jonathan Banks has always been a good character actor, and he absolutely knocked it out of the park in this episode. He has probably just set the bar in the Emmy race for Best Supporting Actor.

Overall, I am really enjoying Better Call Saul. Vince Gilligan and co. know how to make compelling television.
Agreed. I was kind of on the fence with Better Call Saul but these last 2 episodes have been really good.

+1 Jonathan banks is an incredible actor.

The actress who played his daughter in law was great too. Powerful, moving episode. Best TV I've seen all year.

This team is just amazing how they can build characters that seem like totally real people (even if a little weird), situations that are plausible, dialogue where people are actually saying stuff that real people say.

The show is just getting its footing developing Saul -- there is a lot of groundwork that needs to be laid at the beginning of any series, and you have to hang in there.

Maybe this series is going to be kind of a buddy thing with Banks and Odenkirk -- if so, this will be must-watch TV.

I actually like the way they're building the Saul character as well. A little bit in the same vein as Walter White -- kind of a loser, an underachiever, who has had a few bad breaks but hasn't given up.

I first ran across Banks when he was on Wiseguy.

I thought he was great on Wiseguy. That was another fine show that set the foundation for multi-episode arcs within a season. It broke the mold from all of the "case of the week" shows that were on at the time.

Been watching all of the episodes and it just got significantly

better.

Best lines of the show so far (during the police interrogation)

When Saul asks them to tell the story from the top and the one guy says "seriously"?

Jimmy/Saul then says "look, don't let Mr. Ermentraut's dancing eyes and bubbly, Bon-vivant personality fool you. He's actually, believe it or not, somewhat taciturn. Should I fan you gently so you don't go into shock? Let's start at the beginning, okay? We're talking Book of Genesis"

Hahaha. Great stuff. That's the confident, ball-busting Saul we know from BB.

The show started slow, but I think had to in order to get through some backstory. I agree with those above that they are cooking with gas now.

I like the show, but if they can write Michael McKean and that whole story line out, the show will be much better.

Too bad our BoT didn't have a lawyer like Jimmy/Saul back in 2011. Instead we had Cindy Baldwin.
sick0005.r191677.gif

Just amazing. Ehrmantraut solidifies as one of the best characters

in the history of television imo. Probably top 5 for me of any show, any genre. The culminating scene was an absolute knock out

Haven't seen it yet and won't get around to it until next week. Am really loving this show though - gets better each week!

Unlike most of you (I am guessing) I was not a huge Breaking Bad fan so I wasn't sure how this series would go. Personally, I like this much better and have absolutely no idea how this show will develop.

So, anyone else think that the "young" Jimmy (shown at the beginning of episodes) looks like the "young" Homer Simpson?

FINALLY caught up on BCS

Originally posted by NewEra 2014:

just curious . . . does anyone else find Mike's back story even more tragic and compelling, considering who he ends up working for and what his ultimate fate is on Breaking Bad??

btw, love how they set up the confrontation with the partner of Mike's son. great build up and pay off.

someone asked about his daughter in law . . . I believe that is Kerry Condon, who had her break out role in the awesome Jet Li film Unleashed . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT