ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bowl Trivia Question, Attendance at PSU bowls

simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
ok kids time to put on your thinking caps!

Pitt is playing Navy in the Military Bowl (btw, Navy is 9-10-1 in bowl games, Pitt is 13-18)

capacity of Navy/Marine Corps stadium is 34,000

name the last bowl game in which Penn State played where attendance was BELOW 34K.

Looked it up, so I'll let people guess, but the highest attended bowl and lowest attended were both against the same team.

Reactions: simons96
Hmmm...I want to say never but there was probably one in the pre-Paterno years. Maybe the Aloha Bowl when we played Washington?

I'll guess the Liberty Bowl games in Philadelphia. I don't remember any low-attendance games during the Paterno era.

Looked it up, so I'll let people guess, but the highest attended bowl and lowest attended were both against the same team.
Interesting hint....so the highest would have to be from the Rose Bowl game since it's the biggest stadium we would have ever played a Bowl game in...so Oregon must be the team but I have no idea what other bowl we played them in...it was before Paterno coached then.

Edit: We played on more than one Rose Bowl so maybe it's not Oregon.... I give up

Hmmm...I want to say never but there was probably one in the pre-Paterno years. Maybe the Aloha Bowl when we played Washington?

That would have been my guess- the Aloha game against Washington in the 80s. Long distance to travel and not much local support for that bowl usually.

Oregon was one of the Liberty Bowl opponents. The other was Alabama with Bear Bryant.

Ok so given the info in the thread thus far...I'll change my guess to the Liberty Bowl when we played Oregon (although I admit I don't know which one that was....59?)

Ok so given the info in the thread thus far...I'll change my guess to the Liberty Bowl when we played Oregon (although I admit I don't know which one that was....59?)

it was the 1960 Liberty Bowl against Oregon, attendance 16,624

PSU won 41-12

here's a pretty good write up: LINK

Quarterback Dick Hoak didn’t appear to let the 30-degree temperatures and three-foot snowbanks along the sidelines bother him, running for two Penn State touchdowns and passing for a third to account for Oregon’s most decisive setback in five seasons. In addition, Hoak picked off a pair of errant Duck passes which led to the winner’s final two scores.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT