ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Calipari will announce tomorrow that 7 players leaving for NBA.

Well, is it wrong to take kids you know will never graduate? One and done, two and done? If you do not take them someone else will. Until the NCAA or the NBA or Congress changes what has become of Div 1 FB and BB we will see more of the same at nauseam :) I just could never "root" for such a team.

How does that slimeball make it into the hall of fame?

Already has two final fours taken away from him....will be interesting to the read all the stories come out in the years to come about how slimy he was at UK. I saw him at a restaurant in Jersey a few years back and felt like I needed to take a shower afterward. He was ridiculously annoying by purposely raising his voice - pretty much like a teenager acting like "look at me...look at me everyone."

This post was edited on 4/8 8:35 PM by LionwiththeDevil

It's unusual for a coach to make those announcements. Usually the players do it themselves. Calipari's motivation is likely to get his face out there so high school kids see him and realize how important he is supposed to be.

ESPN Will Announce That Lexington Is Home To The NBA's Newest Franchise! *

Won't they wait till spring semester ends to finish out their classes and get their grades?

So that means UK will have 7 holes to fill on next season's roster.

What are the NCAA recruiting guidelines for signing basketball players? Aren't they limited on a per class basis, like football?

Hoops fans love this kinda stuff!

what courses do they take at KY?
Grades?
Do they ever flunk?

Originally posted by NittPicker:
It's unusual for a coach to make those announcements. Usually the players do it themselves. Calipari's motivation is likely to get his face out there so high school kids see him and realize how important he is supposed to be.
Probably a little of both. This is a way to kill 7 seven birds with one stone with them all together and basically continue to programs "operation".

I actually think if the Cavs don't win it all that LeBron will make sure Calipari is in Cleveland next year. He will get an offer he can't refuse and probably wouldn't want to.

Even if not Clevenland I could see possibly Orlando if Donovan doesn't take that position.

UK hoops is really popular on this board. I had no idea. OK, let's shoot.

Does Aaron Harrison know any foreign languages? I really hope ESPN puts a live mic at the table of the Harrison family on draft night. It would be a riot. They are going to be embarrassed. Not for nothing but I bet they were pushed out.

Dakari Johnson probably got pushed out as well. Either that or he's another Daniel Orton; jealous of all of his teammates leaving and decided he would look like a chump if he stayed behind. Johnson didn't live up to his hype and neither did Orton. Orton (barely) snuck into the 1st round and now he's in the NBDL. He was a 5 star recruit and he couldn't stick on the Sixers roster when given the chance.

KAT will be a stud. I love his game, his personality. The kid is character. Great FT shooter for that size. He has to hit that weight room though.

WCS. CWebb called this one on Mike and Mike. He'll hopefully make a bench in the NBA. He has to defense to make a roster. However, comparing him to DeAndre Jordan is so insulting that it's not really funny. I'm so glad CWebb put that comparison on blast. It's ridiculous. I don't think WCS coming back for a 4th year would fix much of what he's lacking so good luck to him.

Booker was underused imo. He was one of the main guys hurt by "the platoon" we heard about all year. Too much depth. I think he has Klay Thompson type potential. I would love for the Sixers to steal him with our pick from Miami.

Trey Lyles. I have no opinion. I didn't see enough of him. Seems like a really nice kid though.

Good decision for Ulis to come back. I'll be rooting for Poythress to have a great senior year.

Originally posted by PSURAHJ:

WCS. CWebb called this one on Mike and Mike. He'll hopefully make a bench in the NBA. He has to defense to make a roster. However, comparing him to DeAndre Jordan is so insulting that it's not really funny. I'm so glad CWebb put that comparison on blast. It's ridiculous. I don't think WCS coming back for a 4th year would fix much of what he's lacking so good luck to him.

Whoever made that comparison was smoking a lot of crack.

Most of what WCS has as an advantage now will be completely neutralized in the NBA. He is athletic but Jordan is one of the most athletic freaks in the world.

Towns is a beast. He could be a superstar for sure. Booker is the guy that is the most interesting because he could be a complete bust. Lyles though is a mystery to everyone. He is an all world talent.

Originally posted by john4psu:

Won't they wait till spring semester ends to finish out their classes and get their grades?
Some might. John Wall did. In fact, that year after he left when the NBA had the lock out he went back to UK and took a couple of classes. Even now his continues on his journey to his business degree. It will probably take time but many players who have left early found a way to slowly but surely get their degrees; Shaq, Vince Carter, and many others.

The most recent UK player to do so was Jodie Meeks[/URL].

This post was edited on 4/8 11:40 PM by PSURAHJ

Jodie Meeks Graduates 4 years after leaving UK

Not a Calipari fan but " good" for him for creating the system he has at Kentucky.

It just further exploits what a bunch of crap Heir Emmert is when he stands up in court to talk about the NCAA's importance in emphasizing education... What a complete farce!

Unrelated... Sort of... But what will happen with UNC especially given the fact they could be preseason #1 next year?

If sanctions come down... Will the NCAA allow all of their players to transfer and be eligible immediately all Penn State sanctions? And... Why not? The current players and recruits did nothing wrong....

Can't believe... When intelligent people sit down...including D1 University Presidents.... They don't say to themselves... " we have a mess on our hands... And it's being led by a dangerous man"...

Re: How does that slimeball make it into the hall of fame?

I'm not a big Calipari fan but I live in Lexington and do a lot if work with different charities and they've all told me that when there is a crisis or any type of need, Calipari is the first one there volunteering his time and his money. He gives a lot back to the community and is very approachable. So hate him if you want, but don't say he's a look at me type of person, because he's not.

When Cal gets to make the calls he wins. If Penn State ever wants that for Men's BB then we are going to have to get a Cal like coach. Since that will never happen, Penn State will be what it is in BB.

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

Originally posted by PSURAHJ:

Originally posted by john4psu:

Some might. John Wall did. In fact, that year after he left when the NBA had the lock out he went back to UK and took a couple of classes. Even now he continues on his journey to his business degree. It will probably take time but many players who have left early found a way to slowly but surely get their degrees; Shaq, Vince Carter, and many others.

The most recent UK player to do so was Jodie Meeks[/URL].
Bobby Knight, who started a lot of this anti-OAD fire and pitchfork brigade, famously told a crowd at a speaking engagement how the John Wall/Bledsoe group of draftees never attended their spring semester. It got everyone booing and hissing and all riled up. Later, it was exposed as a lie and his apology was ridiculously weak and lame.

I can't wait until someone posts his next speaking engagement on the subject of OAD when instead of Kentucky someone in the crowd asks about Coach K's use of the system.

With that said, does anyone one this board really, truly care when/if Trey Lyles or WCS gets their degree? Wisconsin Men's basketball has a horrible graduation rate of 40% overall and zero percent for black players.

Supposedly, Kentucky graduates 89% of those who don't leave early for the NBA and obviously those who leave early are making enough money to finish school whenever they want. So you could see where Kentucky fans can spin it that they are clearly superior to a school like Wisconsin as far as producing basketball players ready to succeed in the real world.

This post was edited on 4/9 3:45 PM by 70Sixers

This was Coach K's response to Cowherd the other day about this:

"The line 'rent-a-player' is not a good line because -- use 'one-and-done' -- 'rent' could mean you're doing something illegal. There is a better choice of words for that. If you say, you don't do the one-and-done in your program, that's your right. But understand that everybody does it differently. ... There is more than one way to run a business, and just appreciate the expertise of all the people doing it in these ways."

There you go. It's a business per Coach K. K and Cal are good coaches/businessmen.

It will be bigger news the day one of his players leaves for Harvard.****

I think what people are often missing in this discussion isn't if this is allowed. Clearly the ncaa has not made it illegal. It's not a matter of different coaches doing things their way like Coach K says- it's a discussion of 'should' this be allowed? Is it right for the college game? I'm sorry but after that quote I don't want to hear Coach K ever again preach about academics. Frankly, he's given a free pass by the media with Caliperi taking all the heat over 1 and done- but Coach K is just as guilty.

I think a fundamental decision needs to be made here whether they truly are going to be student athletes or we are just going to completely give that up and bring the AAU attitude directly into college basketball. I really don't think we want to go the complete professional feeder league route. If they do then start that league and keep it away from colleges (IMO).

Duke's Okafor is also leaving for the NBA. He is a great talent on offense, but his defense needs a lot of work. I think he could have used a year or two more of college to work on his defense.

I "think" he can work on defense as he makes MILLIONS :) Look, most if not all of these kids would go straight to the NBA from HS. I actually like the kid that went to China for a year and the "cash". I hope more kids start to do that. A year in "college" or a year with PAY. What no "degree" :)

Originally posted by 9fold:
Duke's Okafor is also leaving for the NBA. He is a great talent on offense, but his defense needs a lot of work. I think he could have used a year or two more of college to work on his defense.
I've never understood this argument. Isn't the best way to work on your game doing it 24/7 without having to worry about classes, papers, homework or financial security?

Originally posted by wentzel25:

I've never understood this argument. Isn't the best way to work on your game doing it 24/7 without having to worry about classes, papers, homework or financial security?
I simply don't think Okafor is ready for the NBA. He has a long way to go on defense.

I simply don't think Okafor is ready for the NBA. He has a long way to go on defense.
You are definitely right there. The best thing for him though is not staying in college. It's getting his rookie contract started at the perfect time and even though he will be going to a weak team receiving top notch coaching. No classes to worry about. His first contract will set him up for life and apparently he is very smart. He can get the degree. He is going to make more money in two years than what most the elite of the elite students make in probably their lifetime.

He can learn on the "job" is my point. Someone in his position would be insane not to go pro.

Originally posted by PSUriseANDfire:

You are definitely right there. The best thing for him though is not staying in college. It's getting his rookie contract started at the perfect time and even though he will be going to a weak team receiving top notch coaching. No classes to worry about. His first contract will set him up for life and apparently he is very smart. He can get the degree. He is going to make more money in two years than what most the elite of the elite students make in probably their lifetime.

He can learn on the "job" is my point. Someone in his position would be insane not to go pro.
I get the point, but while the high level of competition could help him, it could hurt him. He just may not be ready to compete at that level. Some of these 19-year-olds ride the bench because their game just isn't good enough to get them on the floor. Granted, they get paid and get to practice all they want, but it probably isn't good for their psyche to go from being the big man on campus and heavily hyped to riding the pine in the NBA.

There is also the emotional maturity. I have no idea if Okafor is ready for the NBA mentally. That is as big an issue for many of these "kids", if not bigger, than the lack of physical development.

I certainly don't want Okafor to fail, but it is easy to see that going to the NBA after just one year of college may not be the best thing for him. Of course, I understand his decision. Admittedly, I am also biased in that I am old-fashioned and like to see student-athletes graduate from college. The one-and-done thing bothers me, especially at a place like Duke.

As others have noted, the "one-and-done" rule comes from the NBA Players' Association, not the NCAA. It's part of the NBAPA's collective bargaining agreement with the owners.

The NBA owners like the rule because it makes scouting decisions less risky if the draftees have a year of high-quality competition at the NCAA Div-I level. The player agents like the rule because a successful year at a place like Kentucky or Duke gives their client a year of national celebrity and therefore a better bargaining position once drafted.

If you're going to criticize Calipari for leveraging the one-and-done rule, you should criticize Krzyzewski as well. What the success of each program shows is that blue chip recruits are focused on the NBA. Tom Izzo recently stated that it's more important from a recruiting standpoint to have one of your players selected in the NBA draft lottery than it is to win a national championship. It also shows you one of the challenges Pat Chambers confronts in recruiting, because Penn State's history with the NBA is negligible.

It's nuts to require football and basketball players to attend college in order to ply what is essentially a trade skill. In what other sports or trade professions do we do that? But the NBA and the NFL have no interest in spending multi-millions to develop minor leagues for young player development when the NCAA provides it for free, so don't expect anything to change in the foreseeable future.

This post was edited on 4/10 11:36 AM by Evan Ceg

Originally posted by Evan Ceg:
Tom Izzo recently stated that it's more important from a recruiting standpoint to have one of your players selected in the NBA draft lottery than it is to win a national championship.

Right on. And just think, if you can do both like Cal and Coach K then that's just a HUGE bonus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT