ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Considering having an in-ground pool install....

LighthouseGolfer

Jan 5, 2013
For those of you who have pool or who have had them in the past, could you share your advice:

What type of construction should I choose and why?

What are the areas of pool construction that you can save money on and what parts of the pool construction should you not skimp on, so to speak?

I don't want to give away the farm on building this thing but at the same time I want to make sure I'm spending to have a quality pool built.

Thanks in advance.

i went with grey plaster and an irregular shape to get a pond. I wish I had left more room around two sides for landscaping.

I highly recommend a salt system. With my pool, about the only thing I need to do is dump in some muratic acid occasionally. Early on, the pool sucks acid, so it's weekly, but as time goes by, the acid demand lessons. Another recommendation is to not skimp on deck space. Plan out where you think you'll want to put tables, lounge chairs, etc. and make sure you get the necessary space. Most pools just come with a minimum 2-3ft. of deck around the parameter.

Reactions: Westcoast24
I highly recommend a salt system. With my pool, about the only thing I need to do is dump in some muratic acid occasionally. Early on, the pool sucks acid, so it's weekly, but as time goes by, the acid demand lessons. Another recommendation is to not skimp on deck space. Plan out where you think you'll want to put tables, lounge chairs, etc. and make sure you get the necessary space. Most pools just come with a minimum 2-3ft. of deck around the parameter.
This. I have a salt system as well and love it. It really seems to be a lot easier to maintain.

I have a salt system and it is great. We did vinyl, concrete too expensive and we are right on the edge of where a harsh winter could crack a fiberglass pool. Didn't want to risk it.

Check with your local municipality in regards to permits. We put our pool in pre-hurricane sandy. Since then neighbors of mine have had to pay upwards of $8000 for a storm water runoff plan. Thank god I didn't have to do that. If I had to do that, I would have a lot more grass to mow...

Reactions: Hotshoe
My sister and brother in law put in a pool, and saved money by having the excavation done by a contractor friend as opposed to the pool company. Same thing for the pool surround, which they had a landscaper friend help with the installation of pavers. I think they originally started with a chlorine system, but switched to saltwater. One thing they did that they were really happy with was putting in a shed with electric that they use as a pool house, including beer fridge and freezer for ice pops for the kids.

For those of you who have pool or who have had them in the past, could you share your advice:

What are the areas of pool construction that you can save money on and what parts of the pool construction should you not skimp on, so to speak?

I don't want to give away the farm on building this thing but at the same time I want to make sure I'm spending to have a quality pool built.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend a vinyl liner pool which is what I have. Its 18 x 34, jas a shallow end with walk in steps (a must) then a deeper end for diving. I have the old chlorine based system but would probably recommend the salt system today. Also, I highly recommend the grid DE filter by Hayward. They are more expensive but filter ten times the amount of a sand filter. Total cost for the pool and concrete work was $30k

Thanks in advance.
Don't. Become good friends with someone else who has a pool. You won't regret it.

I had my pool redone and added a separate return line for the vacuum. It's been a lot better than putting it via the skimmer.

I also added a variable speed pump which runs quieter.

I spent the summer of 79 (could have been 78) building in-ground pools. All were vinyl liners and most had vermiculite bottoms. Repaired a bunch that summer as well.

The number one thing is to have a good, no great, excavator...If the hole is dug properly the pool goes in in 3 days...otherwise 4 - 5 days. This doesn't include the decking and finishing...just the pool, You'll be filling it with water on day 3, 4, or 5. You'll need a bunch more time to fill in around the pool, let settle, fill in some more, pour a walk way and build or pour deck.

Do it yourself. Find a retired pool builder or ask one of the local guys that works for a pool builder to act as a contractor. If you get a good excavator you're halfway there...the next thing you need is a good level which you can rent for a few dollars. This is VERY important. If you don't get the frame leveled before you set in concrete you are royally screwed.

Follow the directions for the pool kit and hire a pool company to do the final setup (attach the filter and make sure everything is working fine).

Easy as pie. Contact me if you run into trouble...it really is easy if the excavator knows what he is doing.

You should be able to pull off an 18 x 36 pool for less than $12k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotshoe

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
This is my family's business for over 50 year. In fact, my father invented the vinyl liner pool and the rapid sand filter used on 75% of all pools for the past 5 decades. I would recommend a gunite pool and yes, go with salt water. Vinyl liner pools MUST be done by real experts - or you are beginning a long nightmare. With gunite, you must have a reputable contractor with much EXPERIENCE! Gunite can raise taxes, but unless vinyl is done perfectly - it is worth the money. Make sure you have at least two skimmers - preferably four. A separate vacuum line is advised. Have it setup by landscaper who knows which trees to remove and appreciates the sun's travel in the course of the day. Get a good cover - Meyco is a great brand.

I recommend watching the first Poltergeist movie with Craig T Nelson. Make sure you get a land survey, and there's no ancient Indian burial grounds in your area. "They're here......."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT