ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite Fresh Water Fish

Yellow Perch
Same. And I only count freshwater fish I’ve caught.

I haven’t had walleye in too long to remember if I could distinguish them from their yummy yellow cousins. And I love trout but I’ve never caught one-or went fly fishing.

I don’t consider striped bass as freshwater fish. I’ve only caught them in the Chesapeake. But yum.

Reactions: sibley and psuken
Same. And I only count freshwater fish I’ve caught.

I haven’t had walleye in too long to remember if I could distinguish them from their yummy yellow cousins. And I love trout but I’ve never caught one-or went fly fishing.

I don’t consider striped bass as freshwater fish. I’ve only caught them in the Chesapeake. But yum.
You can catch lunkers in lake Raystown.

Walleye to eat, Northern's (water wolves) to catch. We catch them every weekend (Spring, Summer, Fall) here in Minnesota

Reactions: TheGLOV
I mainly fish for trout. Other than on opening day, I rarely keep them. I either bread and deep fry them or grill them with lemon. And I always filet them. The bones are terrible to deal with.

Walleye and perch are fantastic. Panfish are too if you have the patience to clean enough to eat.

I have never eaten smallies or largemouth bass. Although stripers are wonderful.

You inspired me to look it up. They’re primarily saltwater but folks have pulled nearly 70 pounders landlocked stripers. Crazy!!

Sounds like raystown has incredible mountain biking and fishing! I’ve gotta see that place.
Raystown is a beautiful area. Well worth the trip.

I don't striper fish, but I know Lake Arthur near Slippery Rock has them too.

Unfortunately my good man, those aren't the originals. It's cool that several companies are trying to fill the void but I want those perfect textured, perfect flavored grape Swedish fish from my youth back. The red ones were a close second, but as I recall, the larger ones in the different colors were as hard as woodpecker lips and didn't taste as good.

From my cursory search of the internets;

Do they still make grape Swedish Fish?
Friday a box from Blair Candy in Altoona, PA arrived on my doorstep and inside was a bag of the grape fish. Now, since they're not manufactured by the original maker of the Swedish fish, these “Nordic Grape Fish,” as they are now called, have a slightly different texture and a strong grape flavor.Jul 16, 2017

And from that bastion of truth known as Wikipedia;

Swedish Fish - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Fish

Originally colored red with a flavor unique to the candy (often guessed to be lingonberry, but never verified), they are now also available in several different colors, such as Orange & Lemon-Lime. Purple Swedish Fish in grape flavor were discontinued in 2006.

I knew that they weren't made from 2006 on.

I was just trying to make you happy comrade!

:eek::(;):(:eek:

Reactions: palmettolion
To catch, trout from a limestone spring creek. Can be any species.
To eat, tossup between lake whitefish and arctic char.

I'm going with mullet. The fresh water kind, of course.

054aa7b887085b6116789e1574e31918

Reactions: 81b&w
Are any of you from Maine? Some states have banned use of lead which I understand but this this is ridiculous. What have we become?

https://keepamericafishing.org/maine/

New Bill Threatens the Future of Fishing in Maine
Freshwater-Largemouth-Bass-2-300x199.jpg
A new bill introduced in Maine would function as a de facto fishing ban in state waters.

Titled “An Act To Require Biodegradable Hooks and Lures for Freshwater Fishing,” this bill will ban all hooks and nearly all lures currently on the market and in tackle boxes throughout the state.

The new bill requires “biodegradable” hooks which do not exist because biodegradable materials are not strong enough and would rust quickly. Additionally, the bill requires all plastic and rubber in lures to be biodegradable which is unwarranted and would be a huge burden on anglers.

In 2014, the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife published a comprehensive study on the use of rubber lures and nondegradable fishing hooks and lures. No evidence was found that would support a ban on non-biodegradable hooks and lures. In fact, the report concluded: “(r)equiring the sale and use of only biodegradable SPLs (soft plastic lures) is currently not a solution,” and “the Department does not recommend any legislation at this time.”

Read the text of S.P. 208.

A new bill proposed in the Maine legislature would ban all hooks, and all lures containing plastic or rubber, by the year 2024 unless they are biodegradable. If passed, every hook and lure in your tackle box could become illegal!

Biodegradable hooks simply do not exist. Any biodegradable materials would lack the tensile strength required and would rust quickly.

In addition, requiring all plastic and rubber in lures to be biodegradable is unwarranted and would be a huge burden on anglers.

Click TAKE ACTION below and tell your state legislators to oppose this de facto ban on fishing.

TAKE ACTION

Are any of you from Maine? Some states have banned use of lead which I understand but this this is ridiculous. What have we become?

https://keepamericafishing.org/maine/

Freshwater-Largemouth-Bass-2-300x199.jpg
A new bill introduced in Maine would function as a de facto fishing ban in state waters.

Titled “An Act To Require Biodegradable Hooks and Lures for Freshwater Fishing,” this bill will ban all hooks and nearly all lures currently on the market and in tackle boxes throughout the state.

The new bill requires “biodegradable” hooks which do not exist because biodegradable materials are not strong enough and would rust quickly. Additionally, the bill requires all plastic and rubber in lures to be biodegradable which is unwarranted and would be a huge burden on anglers.

In 2014, the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife published a comprehensive study on the use of rubber lures and nondegradable fishing hooks and lures. No evidence was found that would support a ban on non-biodegradable hooks and lures. In fact, the report concluded: “(r)equiring the sale and use of only biodegradable SPLs (soft plastic lures) is currently not a solution,” and “the Department does not recommend any legislation at this time.”

Read the text of S.P. 208.

A new bill proposed in the Maine legislature would ban all hooks, and all lures containing plastic or rubber, by the year 2024 unless they are biodegradable. If passed, every hook and lure in your tackle box could become illegal!

Biodegradable hooks simply do not exist. Any biodegradable materials would lack the tensile strength required and would rust quickly.

In addition, requiring all plastic and rubber in lures to be biodegradable is unwarranted and would be a huge burden on anglers.

Click TAKE ACTION below and tell your state legislators to oppose this de facto ban on fishing.

TAKE ACTION
A far bigger problem than this is discarded monofilament. I urge all anglers to take out whatever you bring in. You can buy small disposal containers for it that clip on your vest or attach to your lanyard. I have been involved in one successful bird rescue due to discarded monofilament.
But the idea of banning plastic lures is really over the top. It’s a proverbial needle in a haystack in terms of the plastic waste out there.

I think we are talking about favorite fish to eat, but he most beautiful fish are Trout.
I remember ice fishing up in Massachusetts and caught a Rainbow trout.

It was so beautiful that I wanted to put it back, but he was hurt and would have died had I .
So I ate it!

In order to affect Raystown Dam, the entire Juniata River would have to be polluted by AMD. Some of the tribs to the Juniata are definitely hit hard by AMD, but not enough to adversely affect the River.

If you look at the list of affected waters, there's not too many left out. Where is all the mercury coming from? How can a dam like Lyman Run which is fed by a crystal clear mountain stream be affected?

If you look at the list of affected waters, there's not too many left out. Where is all the mercury coming from? How can a dam like Lyman Run which is fed by a crystal clear mountain stream be affected?
Coal - fired power plants ?

I'm honestly not sure of the source of all the Mercury pollution. I do know it gets into the fat of the fish and is stored there. Perhaps the hatchery water is contaminated? I'll ask my coworker (biologist) tomorrow if I see him.

A far bigger problem than this is discarded monofilament. I urge all anglers to take out whatever you bring in. You can buy small disposal containers for it that clip on your vest or attach to your lanyard. I have been involved in one successful bird rescue due to discarded monofilament.
But the idea of banning plastic lures is really over the top. It’s a proverbial needle in a haystack in terms of the plastic waste out there.
Agreed. But biodegradable hooks?

Many streams have containers you can put it in as well at the more popular parking areas.

My biologist coworker said it's mostly from volcanic deposits (dust travelling here from volcanoes). There are very few naturally occurring Mercury containing waters in PA. He also said that many of the advisories are precautionary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT