ADVERTISEMENT

OT FC he got old quick, Phillies would eat $50mm of Ryan Howard salary in

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
order to trade him. It's obvious they want to move on, so why not just release him,as what you get back probably isnt worth anything, and it's only going to cost you $10 mm more. Or make him a bench player. Maybe there is something I am missing

Ryan Howard

Didn't he do really well when he was in Reading?

If you have to pay him, make him play every day in AA... Baseball contracts are just stupid without the ability to waive an underperfoming player. I can't see how/why MLB hasn't resolved this before now. And, beyond that, I would NEVER give a huge contract to or build a team around a "slugger". I want at least a 3 tool player if he's going to be the highest paid on the team. Hitting .250 and 50 home runs is good, but it's not as dependable as a guy who bats .280 and hits 30 HR.

you can only trade him for another stiff with a bad contract-like Swisher

take Nick please!!!

Re: Didn't he do really well when he was in Reading?

Nothing will ever be done about it because the Players Union will never allow anything to be done about it. The Philles were the ones who signed him to the stupid contract,so they only have themselves to blame.

sluggo - I agree and have said same myself. Howard is a team cancer. He does not help the team win games and at this stage I believe it is better to pay him $50 mil to NOT be around, then to pay him $50 mil. Having him around can not be good for the development of the younger players. He obviously does not train hard, he uses the first half of each season as an extension of Spring Training, he does not accept coaching advise as we see the exact same problems his entire career and he is simply the albatross hanging around the neck of the organization.

Unless Howard is just the most clueless person on Earth, I would bet that he also does not want to be around at this stage either. He has to hear the talk from the fans and the media. If I were the Phils I would offer him a huge one time buyout to "go away". Tell Howard that they will pay him $40 mil to 'leave" instead of making him "earn" the $50 mil by staying around the next few seasons. My guess is that Howard would rather take the $40 mil and go away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT