ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Game of Thrones S7E5 - Eastwatch....***SPOILERS***

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Immediately loved this episode - even more than last week's crazy Drogon firebombing. So many good, intricate scenes and people getting back to what they're good at (even Jon, who hates what he's good at...). Don't want to do a re-cap per se, but wow - so many good moments:

Dany's Offer

Bend the knee or *fry*!! Sorry Tarley's - get what you deserve. I even liked Tyrion trying to get Dany to dial back her ultimatum a bit but and I like that she rejected it. I also loved Drogon's posturing behind Dany. Sort of a 'YOU HAVE NO CHANCE' stance that was really impressive. Bronn's conversation with Jaime in the beginning 'Dragons are where our agreement ends!' was perfect too. So good and ultimately so satisfying with Drogon frying the Tarley twerps.

Jaime and Cersei and Tyrion

Oooooh!!! A Lannister baby!!! Sort of happy for Jaime and Cersei - she's a terrible person but she's had a lot of awful stuff happen to her. The Jaime/Tyrion conversation was great too - felt a lot for both characters but Jaime has new perspective after his conversation with Olenna and he's easy to root for. Jaime's description of Drogon and the Dothraki was scary - sort of like, 'We're totally f'd,' and I like how some perspective was added - namely that the ballista was ineffective against Drogon and the Dothraki are superior to any fighters in Westeros. Those are both big deals.

Arya and Sansa and Littlefinger

Great to see Sansa showing Arya what she's good at - namely, diplomacy and strategy. Still, Sansa relies way too much on Littlefinger and Arya knows that. Littlefinger knows things too - namely, that Arya is a problem, and it was cool to see him set a trap for her (one she seemingly fell for). The raven message he buried was one Sansa sent feigning loyalty to Joffrey if I read things correctly, so Littlefinger is poised to set sister vs. sister - but, I think he's underestimating Arya. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Dany and Jon

Soooooooo - Drogon likes Jon!! Dany senses something is up. Also, note how she's a bit choked up when Jon says he has to bounce. And a quick word on 'the plan' - basically, that all sides set aside differences until the Army of the Dead is dealt with (sub plan: that Jon and his band of merry killers go north of the wall and bring one back to the two queens as proof of their existence/threat) - not a huge fan; it's so contrived to move things forward but then again, if no one believes Jon, they have to do *something*. This is as good as anything else (save Dany flying Drogon to the wall for a quick peak).

Sam and Gilly

Gilly is the best and her reading is improving! Hey - she totally stumbled upon the fact that Jon is a LEGIT highborn!! Not only that, but as a result he's the true heir to the Iron Throne; wonder how Dany will take that? Good thing Sam gave Little Sam that book to play with - means it's on his carriage, right?

Anyway - great episode. Loved watching things get back to smaller scale mind games and strategy. Can't believe there are only two episodes left!

7e1f301b602e6eb2-600x400.jpg

You missed Cersei's plan for Dany... After what she did to the cathedral I'm not liking Dany/Jon/Tyrion showing up in The King's Landing Throne Room - or anywhere else. Maybe they'll outsmart her and send Jamie to Cersei with the white walker?

Immediately loved this episode - even more than last week's crazy Drogon firebombing. So many good, intricate scenes and people getting back to what they're good at (even Jon, who hates what he's good at...). Don't want to do a re-cap per se, but wow - so many good moments:

Dany's Offer

Bend the knee or *fry*!! Sorry Tarley's - get what you deserve. I even liked Tyrion trying to get Dany to dial back her ultimatum a bit but and I like that she rejected it. I also loved Drogon's posturing behind Dany. Sort of a 'YOU HAVE NO CHANCE' stance that was really impressive. Bronn's conversation with Jaime in the beginning 'Dragons are where our agreement ends!' was perfect too. So good and ultimately so satisfying with Drogon frying the Tarley twerps.

Jaime and Cersei and Tyrion

Oooooh!!! A Lannister baby!!! Sort of happy for Jaime and Cersei - she's a terrible person but she's had a lot of awful stuff happen to her. The Jaime/Tyrion conversation was great too - felt a lot for both characters but Jaime has new perspective after his conversation with Olenna and he's easy to root for. Jaime's description of Drogon and the Dothraki was scary - sort of like, 'We're totally f'd,' and I like how some perspective was added - namely that the ballista was ineffective against Drogon and the Dothraki are superior to any fighters in Westeros. Those are both big deals.

Arya and Sansa and Littlefinger

Great to see Sansa showing Arya what she's good at - namely, diplomacy and strategy. Still, Sansa relies way too much on Littlefinger and Arya knows that. Littlefinger knows things too - namely, that Arya is a problem, and it was cool to see him set a trap for her (one she seemingly fell for). The raven message he buried was one Sansa sent feigning loyalty to Joffrey if I read things correctly, so Littlefinger is poised to set sister vs. sister - but, I think he's underestimating Arya. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Dany and Jon

Soooooooo - Drogon likes Jon!! Dany senses something is up. Also, note how she's a bit choked up when Jon says he has to bounce. And a quick word on 'the plan' - basically, that all sides set aside differences until the Army of the Dead is dealt with (sub plan: that Jon and his band of merry killers go north of the wall and bring one back to the two queens as proof of their existence/threat) - not a huge fan; it's so contrived to move things forward but then again, if no one believes Jon, they have to do *something*. This is as good as anything else (save Dany flying Drogon to the wall for a quick peak).

Sam and Gilly

Gilly is the best and her reading is improving! Hey - she totally stumbled upon the fact that Jon is a LEGIT highborn!! Not only that, but as a result he's the true heir to the Iron Throne; wonder how Dany will take that? Good thing Sam gave Little Sam that book to play with - means it's on his carriage, right?

Anyway - great episode. Loved watching things get back to smaller scale mind games and strategy. Can't believe there are only two episodes left!

7e1f301b602e6eb2-600x400.jpg

Great thoughts, just a couple things before I hit the sheets:

Not sure I believe Cersei is pregnant. Sure seems like a great way to maintain Jamie's potentially faltering loyalty.

I tried joking a couple weeks back that Sam would stumble on the book that reveals Jons heritage. Guess there is no contrived scenario too contrived for Sam's story arc at this point. Tens of thousands of books, and stumbles into the 2 they need. Ugh.

I was really glad Dany handled the Tarlys like she did, screw those guys. She can't rule if the heads of major houses refuse to accept her, so what choice does she have. That's the reality of it Tyrion, transitions of power usually aren't pretty, no matter how good anyone's intentions.

Seems like an awfully important collection of people heading north of the wall. Guess they have 0 confidence in any foot soldiers.

I'm pissed Littlefinger is tricking Arya...I really want her to kill him sooner rather than later. I'm all leaning-wall-smirked out.

Not sure I believe Cersei is pregnant. Sure seems like a great way to maintain Jamie's potentially faltering loyalty.

I tried joking a couple weeks back that Sam would stumble on the book that reveals Jons heritage. Guess there is no contrived scenario too contrived for Sam's story arc at this point. Tens of thousands of books, and stumbles into the 2 they need. Ugh.

I was really glad Dany handled the Tarlys like she did, screw those guys. She can't rule if the heads of major houses refuse to accept her, so what choice does she have. That's the reality of it Tyrion, transitions of power usually aren't pretty, no matter how good anyone's intentions.

Seems like an awfully important collection of people heading north of the wall. Guess they have 0 confidence in any foot soldiers.

I'm pissed Littlefinger is tricking Arya...I really want her to kill him sooner rather than later. I'm all leaning-wall-smirked out.

I liked the commentary from the producers after the show - basically noting how Dany is frustrated with having to fight a war with some moral sensibility while Cersei doesn't have to. I think Tyrion's lack of understanding the idea of war is interesting. He's been talking up dragons and dothraki but when it comes time to use them, he squirms. Dany is right though - bend the knee or die. Done and done.

Well, Ranydall had it coming; he's been a jerk father to Sam forever, turned his back on the Tyrells and sided with Cersie. Felt sorry for Dickon though. How'd ya like to go through life with a name like that only to get toasted by a big-ass dragon because your father is an asshole? Poor schmuck.

Dickon Tarly was played by the guy who was Billy Bones in Black Sails, a very big role.
Seeing him dispatched so quickly and with such little import in the series, leads me to think he pleaded with the producers to get into the show in any little way he could....just to be a part of it.

Having the entire Mag 7 ride out together should step up a great battle scene, but sure seems foolish.
And Dany should never have let Jorah go, since she now is once again w/o any good military advice.

The series is making all the major characters doubt their own allies.
Dany now doubts Tyrion; Tyrion and whatsisname now doubt having given heir allegiance to Dany.
Jamie and Cersei doubt each other.
Sansa and Arya doubt each other.

Perhaps the series should end with all of them turning on each other, and the WhiteWalkers winning.

Arya, with her training and travels, is a lot more perceptive than Littlefinger knows. It's possible she is setting a trap by pretending to fall for his scheme. Or that she'll figure it out before he has a chance to make his play and have a counter-play ready. They are interesting characters now because we don't really know what their ultimate aim is. Some surprises in store I suspect.

Having the entire Mag 7 ride out together should step up a great battle scene, but sure seems foolish.

I'm wondering if Dondarion and the Hound will interact in interesting ways when they meet the Night King because they're basically dead already. Will the Night King be able to control them without killing them? Or maybe they will be able to blend in with the dead people and get close to the Night King.

One of the characters from the books that hasn't made it into the TV production is Zombie Caitlin. Assuming the Night King moves into central Westeros and starts raising the dead, maybe we'll get to see Zombie Caitlin after all!

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I'm wondering if Dondarion and the Hound will interact in interesting ways when they meet the Night King because they're basically dead already. Will the Night King be able to control them without killing them? Or maybe they will be able to blend in with the dead people and get close to the Night King.

One of the characters from the books that hasn't made it into the TV production is Zombie Caitlin. Assuming the Night King moves into central Westeros and starts raising the dead, maybe we'll get to see Zombie Caitlin after all!

Do you mean Jon? The hound isn't dead

Couple predictions:

We see Benjen next week. Actually I think that the mission goes totally efffed and they don't get a prisoner wight and then Benjen tell them he's undead and to take him as proof.

Cersei is pregnant and is going to have a dwarf baby and kill it. Jaime enraged finally becomes the queen slayer

Last edited:
Couple predictions:

We seen Benjen next week. Actually I think that the mission goes totally efffed and they don't get a prisoner wight and then Benjen tell them he's undead and to take him as proof.

Cersei is pregnant and is going to have a dwarf baby and kill it. Jaime enraged finally becomes the queen slayer

Damn. :eek:

Arya, with her training and travels, is a lot more perceptive than Littlefinger knows. It's possible she is setting a trap by pretending to fall for his scheme. Or that she'll figure it out before he has a chance to make his play and have a counter-play ready. They are interesting characters now because we don't really know what their ultimate aim is. Some surprises in store I suspect.
I was hoping that she would use here faceless skills to dispatch little finger...

Couple predictions:

We see Benjen next week. Actually I think that the mission goes totally efffed and they don't get a prisoner wight and then Benjen tell them he's undead and to take him as proof.

Those are some great thoughts...specially about what it will take to push Jaimie over the edge.
If you got those from the books or secret knowledge of the show..please DONT tell us.

Don't know how they can take a dead person across the wall since the is magic in the wall will kill it before it crosses.

This was just "meh" for me.

I know we have to start bringing everything to a close, but I just watched John go north of the wall for 5+ seasons. He finally goes south and interacts with main characters, and now he goes back over the wall. Ugh.

I don't get this plan either. Convince the most evil, manipulative ruler alive (who has no real army or chance to win) to accept a truce by showing her an undead soldier? Uh, sure. Don't they have cave paintings of all of this and three dragons flying around to convince her if her cooperation is really that necessary?

I am glad they are finally giving littlefinger something to do.

I am interested in seeing what they do with Bran, LOL, Brotherhood, and Night King as all of them have to be connected. I can't figure out if Bran is good or not, I am leaning towards the part of him that was good is now gone. If any of you have ever played WOW, i am starting to think this is an Arthas/Lich King type of character/event with the Night King and Bran.

I guess Euron was so good at ruling the seas that he wrote himself out of the show.

Someone just told me at work, Benjen said he can't go through the wall. If that's true (I don't remember), then he can't be proof, but I definitely think he shows up.

Couldn't Benjen just go around the wall? Im assuming that's how the whites get through based on the hounds fire vision

Those are some great thoughts...specially about what it will take to push Jaimie over the edge.
If you got those from the books or secret knowledge of the show..please DONT tell us.
No inside knowledge. I did not look up spoilers, that's pure BMW right there.

This was just "meh" for me.

I know we have to start bringing everything to a close, but I just watched John go north of the wall for 5+ seasons. He finally goes south and interacts with main characters, and now he goes back over the wall. Ugh.

I don't get this plan either. Convince the most evil, manipulative ruler alive (who has no real army or chance to win) to accept a truce by showing her an undead soldier? Uh, sure.

I totally agree. Plotwise it is nonsense. Just a device to have an on-camera ice zombie skirmish ahead of full scale ice zombie wars. And kill off some second tier characters -- Hound, Gendry, Jorah? Gendry would be my bet. He's like a white hat counterpart to Lord Tarley. Introduce him, kill him off two episodes later.

But in terms of story, it makes no sense to risk John & other leaders just to capture a wight. Delegate that job to the Night's Watch because they probably have some experience trapping wights by now.

The do-all-this-to-persuade Cersei makes no sense.

1) Cersei is worthless as an ally and everybody would know that. She's an "ally" who will stab you in the back, how's that an ally exactly?
2) The Lannister army is gone -- what's left of it is basically part of Team Targaryen.

John already knows all he needs to know about how to destroy the army of the dead -- stab them with dragonglass or maybe incinerate them with dragon fire. What good are the Night King's powers if all he has to reanimate is piles of ashes.

Don't know how they can take a dead person across the wall since the is magic in the wall will kill it before it crosses.
Season 1 the wights went through when they went to castleblack on the southern side.

As of right now it is believe the White Walkers themselves (called The Others, in the book) cannot pass through bc of magic. Benjen may have more incommone with the White Walkers than the wights, based on the children of the forest saving him, which is why he can't.

Season 1 the wights went through when they went to castleblack on the southern side.

As of right now it is believe the White Walkers themselves (called The Others, in the book) cannot pass through bc of magic. Benjen may have more incommone with the White Walkers than the wights, based on the children of the forest saving him, which is why he can't.

Hmmmm interesting. Makes sense to me now. I will say this though. Although the reasoning for bringing the wight to Cersi make no sense to me, I do love the posse they put together to go get one. That seems like the type of group Id love to sit down and drink with

I totally agree. Plotwise it is nonsense. Just a device to have an on-camera ice zombie skirmish ahead of full scale ice zombie wars. And kill off some second tier characters -- Hound, Gendry, Jorah? Gendry would be my bet. He's like a white hat counterpart to Lord Tarley. Introduce him, kill him off two episodes later.

But in terms of story, it makes no sense to risk John & other leaders just to capture a wight. Delegate that job to the Night's Watch because they probably have some experience trapping wights by now.

The do-all-this-to-persuade Cersei makes no sense.

1) Cersei is worthless as an ally and everybody would know that. She's an "ally" who will stab you in the back, how's that an ally exactly?
2) The Lannister army is gone -- what's left of it is basically part of Team Targaryen.

John already knows all he needs to know about how to destroy the army of the dead -- stab them with dragonglass or maybe incinerate them with dragon fire. What good are the Night King's powers if all he has to reanimate is piles of ashes.
Yeah I'm in this group. Don't understand the Cersei alliance, I just want her dead already. It almost feels like she's going to end up somewhere safe.......the writers and producers just can't part with the evil masterpiece they've created. Same with Little Finger, something should have been resolved in this episode.... a Little Finger, Sansa waltz of death would have been nice.

Meh mostly because it was dragging in a bunch of spots. Just about every episode in the first season was an hour slice of epic blockbuster magic--this is like watching Dungeons and Dragons daytime TV. My expectation was to get at least 4 solid episodes with the resolution of continuing plot lines every week. Now they have 2 episodes to tie everything up. Uggggh.

Maybe I'm just butthurt that Jon and Daenerys didn't provide the salsa version of Jon/Ygritte's "melt your ice pop"......you don't know nothing Jon Snow!!!!..........Yeah much better to have him chasing dead guys than dragon tail. BLAH.

Last edited:
Couple predictions:

LOL. You, sir, have one dark mind. ("Kill the dwarf baby!")

Yeah I'm in this group. Don't understand the Cersei alliance, I just want her dead already. It almost feels like she's going to end up somewhere safe.......the writers and producers just can't part with the evil masterpiece they've created. Same with Little Finger, something should have been resolved in this episode.... a Little Finger, Sansa waltz of death would have been nice.

Meh mostly because it was dragging in a bunch of spots. Just about every episode in the first season was an hour slice of epic blockbuster magic--this is like watching Dungeons and Dragons daytime TV. My expectation was to get at least 4 solid episodes with the resolution of continuing plot lines every week. Now they have 2 episodes to tie everything up. Uggggh.

Maybe I'm just butthurt that Jon and Daenerys didn't provide the salsa version of Jon/Ygritte's "melt your ice pop"......you don't know nothing Jon Snow!!!!..........Yeah much better to have him chasing dead guys than dragon tail. BLAH.

She does't have an army that can beat Dany. The Night King has one. I can see her making a move to try to become queen of the dead. Jamie would probably have to kill her then. Maybe. His character just can't quite figure out if he is redeemable or not. "And when your tears have drowned you, the Valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you." "Valonqar" means "little brother" in Valyrian.

Reactions: WestSideLion
She does't have an army that can beat Dany. The Night King has one. I can see her making a move to try to become queen of the dead. Jamie would probably have to kill her then. Maybe. His character just can't quite figure out if he is redeemable or not. "And when your tears have drowned you, the Valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you." "Valonqar" means "little brother" in Valyrian.
I gotta hand it to you, Queen of the dead is very, very, very, very interesting!!!!! But how do you get there in two weeks when Jon hasn't even confronted whatever he's bringing back??? Queen of the dead is rich with enough plot lines for 5 episodes!! And all the gore that could have been had in those 5 episodes!!! Instead we've been watching Samwell clean out latrines in the citadel for 3 weeks!!!!

Wait a second, you probably read the book, which would make you a cheater and make me not want to listen to anything else you have to say. HANDS ON MY EARS NOW..........nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah.

Last edited:
I gotta hand it to you, Queen of the dead is very, very, very, very interesting!!!!! But how do you get there in two weeks when Jon hasn't even confronted whatever he's bringing back??? Queen of the dead is rich with enough plot lines for 5 episodes!!!! And all the gore that could have been had in those 5 episodes!!!!

Wait a second, you probably read the book, which would make you a cheater and make me not want to listen to anything else you have to say. HANDS ON MY EARS NOW..........nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah.

I wish I had read the book. I wish GRRM would write it. If I turn out to be right, the winning lottery numbers are 43, 21, 13, 8, 11, and 2.

I wish I had read the book. I wish GRRM would write it. If I turn out to be right, the winning lottery numbers are 43, 21, 13, 8, 11, and 2.
There's something there though......yes, yes.......very, very good. The Northerners including Sansa (and of course Little Finger) are plotting evil things behind the back of the new King (a just and honest man). Sansa, finally gives into her evil urges to become Queen and solidifies her power by marrying Little Finger thereby uncovering her true self (she comes full circle and realizes she has more in common with Cersei than her own mother). She stages a coupe, or perhaps a peaceful takeover of power. All the Lords agree, except little Lyanna Mormont of course, oh and the two little kid Lords Jon saved.

Lyanna is sent into exile where she seeks out the true King of the North. Sansa, now in open rebellion and defiance, and unaided by the dragonglass so carefully mined by her brother, is crushed by the army of the dead on it's relentless pursuit of Westeros and King's Landing. Little Finger is turned into a useful slave to serve as the Dead King's advisor, which he joyfully does, even though he has no soul to trade.......he has already given it to a King.....the King of Death (or the Red God or something).

At the same time, Daenerys Army marches from the south. Somewhere in the middle of the two advancing armies Cersei is faced with the ultimate dilemma. A decision between two paths, two regrettable outcomes. One, bend the knee and serve at the foot of the new Queen of Westeros (or be put to death) or two, unite with the Undead King and become his hellish bride. She chooses death and rule over life and service. We all know what happens next....(actually I would just mention Arya would reappear somewhere after the dead queen is reborn in her new form just to dispatch her with a needle of dragonglass, carefully to her throat....But she realizes she cannot cross her off her list, because she's already dead....so she becomes a monk, never to kill again).

Still, can't do it properly in two episodes.

Last edited:
There is two episodes left in THIS season but another 6 or 7 episode season after this one. All of this plot lines do not need to be resolved over the next two episodes like some of you are suggesting. I love the ideas some of you are throwing out there and the episode analysis. Keep it coming

There is two episodes left in THIS season but another 6 or 7 episode season after this one. All of this plot lines do not need to be resolved over the next two episodes like some of you are suggesting. I love the ideas some of you are throwing out there and the episode analysis. Keep it coming
Oh, then nevermind

What is the status of the Unsullied?

they are at the rock waiting on orders.

things I hope for in the final season....

- the combined forces of westeros defeat the knight king and while those battles occur Cersei's double cross is exposed. Cersei's double cross is not in this season, but this has to happen right???? One of the worst villans in TV history has to go down scheming and swinging.....one of the last scenes is her being exiled beyond the wall where she dies. then in the final scene her eyes open and they are blue. she has become the knight queen and begins the process all over again.

- to see a new dragon egg(s)

- Sam placing his family sword back up on the mantle and stepping down assuming his place at the head of his family and lands

- Gandry and Jon returning from a hunting trip to see Dany with lil Jon and Danys playing on the floor map of westeros......I assume Jon and Dany will marry, never knowing that Jon is the one true heir. Gandry will be awarded the storm lands as his birth right and for valiant fighting in the final war

- Sansa as the warden of the north

- Arya leaving on a boat for parts unknown

- Tyrion remains the hand to the queen but finally is wed to a proper girl. Maybe Layanna mormont for fun.

Oh well...heres to hoping the writers read what i write

PS- it would be torture but on the wrestling board in the suriano thread are some fantastic pics of iceland where some of the shows filming was done

Dunk: Loved your post. So you're hoping for some good endings for GOT protagonists. Why not? Isn't that what GOT has been all about? Just ask Ned Stark.

I don't subscribe to HBO; however, I have GOT seasons 1-6 on DVD. I can't wait for Season 7 to be released. It seems to take a while between the seasons end and a DVD release. Thanks for all of your insightful comments. Not only on current episodes, but on plausible outcomes of future episodes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT