ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Garden 2024.

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
I'm happy so far.

8 slicer tomato's (6 Momotaro's, 2 "Bodacious") - Everyone loves the Momotaro's. Sweet with great balance. Gotta keep them clean though. Very little disease resistance. BLT's, burgers, slices.....

8 canners (health kick hybrid) - They stay on the vine so you can develop sweetness for sauces and salsas. I'll can quarts for Christmas Eve Lasagna. Romo's fall off.

4 Hatch chiles: targeted for Gumbo, New Mexico chili cheese burgers in the style of George Motz, and Chicken Chili Verde

2 Tomatillos: Chicken Chile Verde and maybe a shrimp, corn salad per Kenji Lopez-Alt.

2 Italian pepper: Corno Di Toro variety. Steak sandwich, sausage and peppers.

4 Okra: Gumbo

4 Cucumber: All pickles. Nothing like fresh refrigerator pickles with a burger or sandwich. Have some dill growing with them.

4 Eggplants: Italian variety. Eggplant parm and maybe some Baba Ganoush (epic fail last time).

Basil - Thai and sweet. Lot's of it.

How soon are eggplant going to be ready? I was at an Amish stand today and didn't see any. Last time I asked the girl there and she looked at me like I had two heads. Just want to know a range of dates when they're ready to pick and will be out for sale. I'm not trying to grow my own or muscle in on the Amish, just the eating.

How soon are eggplant going to be ready? I was at an Amish stand today and didn't see any. Last time I asked the girl there and she looked at me like I had two heads. Just want to know a range of dates when they're ready to pick and will be out for sale. I'm not trying to grow my own or muscle in on the Amish, just the eating.

Mine are just starting to flower now. I'm guessing at least 30 to 45 more days. I did get a late start, and I am a little north, so I'd expect southern PA to be a bit sooner.

Mid August is the peak season here.

Reactions: WaylonJ
I'm happy so far.

8 slicer tomato's (6 Momotaro's, 2 "Bodacious") - Everyone loves the Momotaro's. Sweet with great balance. Gotta keep them clean though. Very little disease resistance. BLT's, burgers, slices.....

8 canners (health kick hybrid) - They stay on the vine so you can develop sweetness for sauces and salsas. I'll can quarts for Christmas Eve Lasagna. Romo's fall off.

4 Hatch chiles: targeted for Gumbo, New Mexico chili cheese burgers in the style of George Motz, and Chicken Chili Verde

2 Tomatillos: Chicken Chile Verde and maybe a shrimp, corn salad per Kenji Lopez-Alt.

2 Italian pepper: Corno Di Toro variety. Steak sandwich, sausage and peppers.

4 Okra: Gumbo

4 Cucumber: All pickles. Nothing like fresh refrigerator pickles with a burger or sandwich. Have some dill growing with them.

4 Eggplants: Italian variety. Eggplant parm and maybe some Baba Ganoush (epic fail last time).

Basil - Thai and sweet. Lot's of it.
got a very late start getting things in ground due to combination travel, weather and other professional responsibilities. Tomato plants very healthy just now in first flush of flowers. Something literally ate all my pepper plants!! Never had anything like that happen before, pretty much all varieties gone. same with okra, all eaten clipped off at ground level. Summer squash coming along. Got one good round of beets before rodents ate rest. Will see how tomatoes are end of July

got a very late start getting things in ground due to combination travel, weather and other professional responsibilities. Tomato plants very healthy just now in first flush of flowers. Something literally ate all my pepper plants!! Never had anything like that happen before, pretty much all varieties gone. same with okra, all eaten clipped off at ground level. Summer squash coming along. Got one good round of beets before rodents ate rest. Will see how tomatoes are end of July

Time for a 7 foot welded wire fence - though do yourself a solid and have someone install it for you. Hard work, and unless you are super careful, you will get scratched up. The deer were just destroying everything, and it is only getting worse around here. They are like the plague.

We started planting marigolds among the varieties the rodents were sampling. Seems to work. I'm surprised your squash hasn't been sampled. I don't grow them any more. Striped cucumber beetles put an end to that.

Time for a 7 foot welded wire fence - though do yourself a solid and have someone install it for you. Hard work, and unless you are super careful, you will get scratched up. The deer were just destroying everything, and it is only getting worse around here. They are like the plague.

We started planting marigolds among the varieties the rodents were sampling. Seems to work. I'm surprised your squash hasn't been sampled. I don't grow them any more. Striped cucumber beetles put an end to that.
we went with continuous 4 ft perimeter fence this year. We have always just had 2 foot chicken wire around each bed, but we pulled all that and went with continuous perimeter. Main vermin have historically been turkeys, sand hill cranes (which are protected) and rabbits and some little vole like creature. Do not really see any deer signs, but could be given graze pattern. But my garden in middle of very large community garden with 100s of other plots. Other thing we been dealing with is bindweed. It has run rampant and extremely invasive. Community garden is chemical free so limits control to digging and pulling.......

Did cucumber, cherry tomatoes, jalapeno and bell peppers.

close to 20 good sized cucs, cherry tomatoes to many to eat.
Bells were a slight disappoint but the jalapeno were good
My garden is very small.

Will plant more cherry and bells towards end of summer.

Did cucumber, cherry tomatoes, jalapeno and bell peppers.

close to 20 good sized cucs, cherry tomatoes to many to eat.
Bells were a slight disappoint but the jalapeno were good
My garden is very small.

Will plant more cherry and bells towards end of summer.

You have to live in the south to a haul like that this early.

we went with continuous 4 ft perimeter fence this year. We have always just had 2 foot chicken wire around each bed, but we pulled all that and went with continuous perimeter. Main vermin have historically been turkeys, sand hill cranes (which are protected) and rabbits and some little vole like creature. Do not really see any deer signs, but could be given graze pattern. But my garden in middle of very large community garden with 100s of other plots. Other thing we been dealing with is bindweed. It has run rampant and extremely invasive. Community garden is chemical free so limits control to digging and pulling.......

So they won't let you go with the vinegar, salt and detergent either? I spray with that then till a day or two later.

I can only imagine the number of critters partying at night at a place like that.

Outside New Orleans.
Picked the first Early Girl last week, more red ones on the way. Zukes galore, about a dozen cukes. Sugar snap peas just about over. Picked garlic last week and onions are next. Green beans already bloomed but not big enough to harvest. Picking beets this week. Cubanelle pepper this week but all peppers have been really slow this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT