ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gill Brandt on the Michue trade

cment

Jun 1, 2006
My favorite program on all of SiriusXM is “Press Coverage” with Vic Curucxi and Dan Libultold. ( I punted on spelling their last name,). They are arguably the best objective team covering the Nfll.

Each week they have a 10minute segment with HOF Cowboys GM Gill Brant (don’t like him for his treatment of PSU/joPa but respect him.). He said Jacksonville got rid of Minchue because their first round pick was not living up to the hype ( according to his connections within the club). and the team needed to get rid of any distractions. I am paraphrasing, but if you have the app, you can listen to the replay.

• Wow
Reactions: Obliviax
My favorite program on all of SiriusXM is “Press Coverage” with Vic Curucxi and Dan Libultold. ( I punted on spelling their last name,). They are arguably the best objective team covering the Nfll.

Each week they have a 10minute segment with HOF Cowboys GM Gill Brant (don’t like him for his treatment of PSU/joPa but respect him.). He said Jacksonville got rid of Minchue because their first round pick was not living up to the hype ( according to his connections within the club). and the team needed to get rid of any distractions. I am paraphrasing, but if you have the app, you can listen to the replay.
I don’t think Lawrence lives up to the hype.

Thanks for sharing. I love Gil and usually listen to him Saturday am. What he said might make sense
OTOH I think those 2 guys are clowns with 0 real knowledge of football especially Dan whatever his last name is

Jim and Pat are infinitely better

Reactions: bytir
Thanks for sharing. I love Gil and usually listen to him Saturday am. What he said might make sense
OTOH I think those 2 guys are clowns with 0 real knowledge of football especially Dan whatever his last name is

Jim and Pat are infinitely better
I agree on Pat and Jim are the best on the channel by far, but I really like Press Coverage. Dan and Vic cover topics that are wide ranging from a reporters perspective which is unique among that channels lineup.

Time will tell with TL but QB’s as with most athletes are always a crap shoot even #1 overalls - I am sure the list is long with sure things taken #1 that didn’t pan out. Too funny that Jax traded Minshaw to a team that had the previous QB lose it when he had competition.

That's pretty interesting. The GM is Trent Ballke. I believe Meyer is HC and in charge of player personnel. Meaning, he had to at least sign off on the trade. This trade is a head-scratcher unless UM wanted to send a message or Minchue was a trouble maker. Seems to me that holding TM until there was a need by another team and getting more value was a better play. We've seen top flight QB's get ruined by having to start with an awful team around him. Hope that doesn't happen to TL. TL has been blessed with having great talent around him so this is new for him.

Time will tell with TL but QB’s as with most athletes are always a crap shoot even #1 overalls - I am sure the list is long with sure things taken #1 that didn’t pan out. Too funny that Jax traded Minshaw to a team that had the previous QB lose it when he had competition.

CJ Beathard's got this!

Reactions: Obliviax
It’s only a handful of games from a rookie season, but Hurts wasn’t exactly good last season. The Eagles are right to explore all options at QB in case Hurts continues his 52% completion percentage and poor decision making this season.

We love to bash Howie, but he’s not stupid. My guess is Hurts has left some things to be desired in camp. Flacco is a dumpster fire and would be doom them to the cellar if he had to play for an extended period.

That's pretty interesting. The GM is Trent Ballke. I believe Meyer is HC and in charge of player personnel. Meaning, he had to at least sign off on the trade. This trade is a head-scratcher unless UM wanted to send a message or Minchue was a trouble maker. Seems to me that holding TM until there was a need by another team and getting more value was a better play. We've seen top flight QB's get ruined by having to start with an awful team around him. Hope that doesn't happen to TL. TL has been blessed with having great talent around him so this is new for him.

i get it, dont' want Lawrence looking behind him wondering if Minshew is going to come in. don't want fans and talk shows saying Minshew should be playing. Give Lawrence all the snaps and go from there.

i get it, dont' want Lawrence looking behind him wondering if Minshew is going to come in. don't want fans and talk shows saying Minshew should be playing. Give Lawrence all the snaps and go from there.
Agreed...but he may want to keep players from siding with one or the other. Minshew is probably good enough to win some games and the players want/need to win. JJ don't really want to win games this year. They want to develop players and get a good draft pick.

At least, that is all I can figure. I can't believe that they got so little for him. Seems like a fire sale.

Agreed...but he may want to keep players from siding with one or the other. Minshew is probably good enough to win some games and the players want/need to win. JJ don't really want to win games this year. They want to develop players and get a good draft pick.

At least, that is all I can figure. I can't believe that they got so little for him. Seems like a fire sale.

Minshew is a back-up QB in the NFL who is good enough to come in a win a game. So reality is that value for a higher draft pick isn't there. He is just an overpriced back-up in jacksonville so probably some salary dump in there also.

Just my .02, I think that is an absurd take by Brandt. Our starting QB is not playing well so let's trade his backup??? Come on. There is not a single reputable person at any level of football who doubts that Lawrence will be a great QB. Jax will take their lumps with him this year, just as Dallas did with Aikman.

Reactions: NJPSU
Just my .02, I think that is an absurd take by Brandt. Our starting QB is not playing well so let's trade his backup??? Come on. There is not a single reputable person at any level of football who doubts that Lawrence will be a great QB. Jax will take their lumps with him this year, just as Dallas did with Aikman.
I dont think its absurd at all. Gil's point is now Jax has no other viable options but to live TL, the fans cant be screaming to put in GM when things get rough. Think Money Ball, you cant play Pena at first because I traded him, you have to play Hateburg (sp) cause hes your only option now.

I dont think its absurd at all. Gil's point is now Jax has no other viable options but to live TL, the fans cant be screaming to put in GM when things get rough. Think Money Ball, you cant play Pena at first because I traded him, you have to play Hateburg (sp) cause hes your only option now.
Understood but other than a handful of dopes, is anyone in the Jax fanbase going to be screaming to bench Trevor Lawrence? A big part of the reason they were able to draft Lawrence is because they could not win with Minchew.

Reactions: sluggo72

Gills point that Jacksonville got rid of Lawrence because he is a bust after his rookie pre-season only is a ludicrous take.

Trading Minshew so the stupid part of the fanbase and talking head sports show hosts don't yell for him to come in after Lawrence has a bad game, while still getting a little bit of draft capital back in return in addition to shedding a high priced back-up QB is the reason. And Gil didn't have that take.

ADVERTISEMENT