ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Guys getting a concealed permit to carry and buying a gun. Any other carry or own a gun?

And the rest of advice is ridiculous too. You can not illegally threaten with a weapon . You better be able to articulate why you were in fear for your life .
But when allowed , brandishing the weapon might be enough to stop the threat. But you better be prepared to shoot if necessary .

Concealed carry is absolutely not to be taken lightly. Couple good points were brought up already but here's my $.02, and these are all common sense but important:
- You absolutely have to know the law and follow it, there is no excuse for ignorance and it could cost you dearly.
- Must practice with your carry weapon of choice until proficient and then practice some more. For your own safety and those around you (and to be effective if, God forbid, you ever have to use it).
- In my mind, most importantly, you have to discipline yourself mentally. Drill it into your subconscious what your threshold is for pulling that weapon, and it better be a high threat threshold because when that weapon is pulled something bad is going to happen.

I have had a CC permit for more than 30 years. I don't always carry...but I often do. I have had only one time when I actually had my hand on my gun ready to pull it. Thankfully, it ended quickly and I didn't have to produce my weapon. BUT, don't get me wrong...I will pull it if I need to pull it. This is a personal choice that you must take VERY seriously before you even apply for the CC permit. There's a certain amount of responsibility and pre-planning that goes into the decisions that go along with the CC permit. Think this through.

I leave you with a quote from G. Gordon Liddy: "Head shots, people! NOTHING but head shots!"

Reactions: The Sisco Kid
I own many guns, mostly hunting rifles and shotguns, but also a few handguns (SW 29/.357 Mag., Glock 23, Ruger LCR) and some assault style weapons (AR 15 and FN FAL). I also know how to use them. I used to have a concealed carry permit, back when it precluded the 3 day waiting period, but never actually carried a concealed in public. I've carried guns in my vehicle on occasion, however. I'm considering getting a carry permit again and actually carrying, but with 3/4 of my time spent either at work where I can't carry, or at home where I don't need a permit, I'm not sure. You also have to look at what you would do in certain situations. You do not want to have a gun with you if you aren't going to actually pull the trigger. Having one and not using it will only increase your chance of getting killed. I know that I'd use a gun to protect my family, but if someone just wanted money, then I think I'd rather give them my money than escalating things by pulling a gun.

I've hunted archery but never firearm. And this will be my first gun.

If you have never owned a gun, I have to ask why now, and why concealed carry? Unless it's a requirement for a new job or you've been taken to the brink of death by gun toting bad guys - several times - recently, my advice is don't do it.

If you do, the first thing to do is to take a firearm safety course. I don't care how much you think you know, take the course. Next, practice with it a lot the first month or so, and then at least weekly for a long while after. Get to know every last minute detail about your gun. If you're going to be toting it around in public, it better start to feel like an extension of your hand right away.

Third, as others have said, get your head right. The only possible outcome of pulling a concealed carry weapon is that someone will be shot, or at least shot at. You better be ready to pull the trigger; if not, don't get a gun. Let the police - who are actually trained for it - take down the criminals.

I am a mulitiple gun owner as well as being a retired Marine. I have never felt a need for CC, though I'll often have a gun in my car on long trips. As a firm believer in my 2nd amendment rights, I implore you not to be stupid about this. We don't need any Dirty Harry's giving any ammunition (npi) to those who want to curtail that right.

Last edited:
If you decide to get a handgun, the one thing that is very important is: Practice Practice Practice

Reactions: furfoot
And learn and learn . Join the armed citizens defense alliance . They have training materials and self defense insurance .

I do think that this question will be on the minds of more and more Americans and Europeans with the evidence of increased risk of domestic terrorism. We are just hearing more cases of terrorism where if just one or two good guys had guns, it may have ended with less loss of life. When your government either can't or won't do the things necessary to protect its citizens, the citizens begin to arm themselves. It has been this way throughout human history. The question is whether the risk is high enough that you would need to carry and are you proficient enough with your weapon to employ it effectively and appropriately. But more Americans and Europeans will begin to ask themselves these questions.

Reactions: Ski
The video above is not scientific. They needed to not only provide gun training to those subjects, but also teach them to have a plan, always plan when carrying, and flee first, fight second.

If you have never owned a gun, I have to ask why now, and why concealed carry? Unless it's a requirement for a new job or you've been taken to the brink of death by gone toting bad guys - several times - recently, my advice is don't do it.

If you do, the first thing to do is to take a firearm safety course. I don't care how much you think you know, take the course. Next, practice with it a lot the first month or so, and then at least weekly for a long while after. Get to know every last minute detail about your gun. If you're going to be toting it around in public, it better start to feel like an extension of your hand right away.

Third, as others have said, get your head right. The only possible outcome of pulling a concealed carry weapon is that someone will be shot, or at least shot at. You better be ready to pull the trigger; if not, don't get a gun. Let the police - who are actually trained for it - take down the criminals.

I am a mulitiple gun owner as well as being a retired Marine. I have never felt a need for CC, though I'll often have a gun in my car on long trips. As a firm believer in my 2nd amendment rights, I implore you not to be stupid about this. We don't need any Dirty Harry's giving any ammunition (npi) to those who want to curtail that right.

Good pts - I am not going to do CC, just one locked in the house

Even if you don't carry, get the permit anyways, and then just have it but don't carry.

Practice is key across board from not just shooting, but storing, maintaining, comfort etc

The Bethlehem study, as reported in that video, should be subject to some to criticism.

If anyone were carrying in that situation, who is not a marksman, or law/military (and possibly even them), the first reaction should be to flee first, fight last. What they did to that guy was throw him into a situation without training him to have a plan (always).

They also don't comment on the fact that he would've been shot anyways. And that both made the error of not trying to flee first.

They gave a high risk, immediate reaction, scenario first. Not to say that the scenario is unrealistic, but there were a multitude of other scenarios were those two carrying would be positive.

SOFREP radio had an expert on its show a few weeks ago in wake of Paris which was good. Seal guy talked about the fact that you flee first, fight last. Even other Seals were saying that they would've fled the cafes/concerts etc first before pulling weapon.

Good pts - I am not going to do CC, just one locked in the house
For what purpose do you want the gun? For home protection? As was noted above, if you are considering a hand gun, get the CCW. Before you do anything, check your local laws.

Even if you don't carry, get the permit anyways, and then just have it but don't carry.

Practice is key across board from not just shooting, but storing, maintaining, comfort etc

The Bethlehem study, as reported in that video, should be subject to some to criticism.

If anyone were carrying in that situation, who is not a marksman, or law/military (and possibly even them), the first reaction should be to flee first, fight last. What they did to that guy was throw him into a situation without training him to have a plan (always).

They also don't comment on the fact that he would've been shot anyways. And that both made the error of not trying to flee first.

They gave a high risk, immediate reaction, scenario first. Not to say that the scenario is unrealistic, but there were a multitude of other scenarios were those two carrying would be positive.

SOFREP radio had an expert on its show a few weeks ago in wake of Paris which was good. Seal guy talked about the fact that you flee first, fight last. Even other Seals were saying that they would've fled the cafes/concerts etc first before pulling weapon.

Two very good points in here:

1 - Just because you have a permit to carry doesn't mean you have to have a gun with you at all times. Consider where you're going, what the level of threat might be, and whether you being armed might be more harmful than helpful.

2 - Flight before fight should be your go-to move unless crime fighting is your job.

A couple other posters mentioned knowing the law, which is also critical and of which most people are clueless. Ask people what the law is for shooting someone while defending their home and family and I'd bet at least 80% would be wrong.

I'm glad you asked this question because it has generated a lot of mostly civil dialogue. This is not something to be taken lightly, as you are literally discussing life or death situations. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Oh yeah, one other thing if you decide to carry.........DON'T WEAR A BIG BAGGY SHIRT!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mn78psu83
Before you buy any gun, determine how you are going to store it. Exceed what you think "safely" may be.

Some questions to ask yourself.

What purpose?
What laws apply?
Where to store it?
How to store it?

Having a CCW does not require you to own a gun.

If you decide to get a handgun, the one thing that is very important is: Practice Practice Practice

Find someone who "knows" what handgun fits your hand the best. Some are too small for me. It's all about function. Doesn't do any good if you can not hit where you are aiming.

I have A CCW now for over 10 years. I am active in shooting sports and hunt alot.

I like it for carrying while hunting (bear protection ect.) i might have carried in public once or twice since i had my permit and have not carried in public in over 5years.

1. Be safe.
2. Know your weapon
3. Know the CCW laws.
4. Take a course if you can.
5. You might want to consider getting the FL or UT permit b/c of state repricosity

Seems like people buying guns for the intended reason of stopping a terror attack, or mass shooter, if they are involved in one makes no sense from a probability standpoint. Chance are very slim any of us will ever be involved in one of thes mass shootings. While their instances seem to be increasing, they are still amazingly rare. Much better odds of dying in a car accident or from cancer. Yet, the odds of these people dying my misusing that gun at home are increasing exponentially, especially for novice gun users. So by trying to protect themselves they are actually making themselves less safe.

Odds are pretty low you would need to use but depends upon where you travel etc. Have had mine for a couple years and usually carry it. Small Ruger LCP that is big enough with hollow points to stop a threat but small enough in size to easily and comfortably conceal. Gotta think it through though. Can't take into public places where prohibited and if you have kids, you need to be careful. When I come home, my pistol goes into a safe first thing home upon arrival. And like it has been said here, you need to practice often.

The best firearm for home defense is a pump shotgun for several reasons. If someone is charged up on meth, very few handguns will stop them in their tracks. A shotgun will. A discharge from a shotgun is less likely than a bullet to penetrate a wall and hit your kid in bed. And if you shoot someone in your home, you will almost certainly end up in front of a jury who will be more likely to exonerate you if you're using grampa's duck gun rather than a tricked out semi-auto with a laser sight.

The best firearm for home defense is a pump shotgun for several reasons. If someone is charged up on meth, very few handguns will stop them in their tracks. A shotgun will. A discharge from a shotgun is less likely than a bullet to penetrate a wall and hit your kid in bed. And if you shoot someone in your home, you will almost certainly end up in front of a jury who will be more likely to exonerate you if you're using grampa's duck gun rather than a tricked out semi-auto with a laser sight.

Yes, and as I read once, every criminal in America can recognize the sound of a pump shotgun cycling. If you are in your bedroom with the door closed and a burglar hears this sound, it's very likely that they will leave the premises and almost certainly will not open that door.

If you are talking about defending yourself outside of the home, then the handgun is just about the only option. You could store a rifle or shotgun in the trunk of your car, but that isn't instant access. I would recommend a pump shotgun at home and if you really feel the need, a concealable handgun for when away from the house.

Mr. POtter....let me give you some advice and some information. And this is for anyone thinking of getting a concealed carry permit or just carrying a gun period. First off, with the dangers we face today it is important to remember this....you are not a cowboy or a hero and no one expects you to be. The main and really only reason for a concealed carry permit is for self defense...for your family and you.
When faced with a danger or threat, you really have 3 options: 1. Face the threat 2. Run from the threat 3. freeze in fear. No one really knows what they will do until they face any given situation. If at all possible, think about what you think you might do. Number 1 and number 2 are really the best. They give you the best chances....freezing in fear....well that leaves it up to the threat (bad guy or guys).
I think with a carry permit....your main idea is to neutralize a threat and give you and your family a chance to get to safety. Remember....unless you are law enforcement, no one expects you to be a hero.
So with that, a concealed carry permit and gun can give you a chance in many situations. The right to bear arms is a right, not a privilege. Don't let anyone tell you different. There is a reason our founding fathers put it in the Bill of RIGHTS....notice the word RIGHTS...not bill of privileges.
So, in terms of purchasing a concealed carry gun...here is my opinion. You simply want what I call a "GET BACK GUN." you want something to get the bad guys back away from you and your family. Remember this...if you are faced with a terrorist threat and they are carrying military grade weaponry or automatic machines guns and such, none of us really stand a chance regardless of what you are carrying. But for most situations, you want a "GET BACK Gun"...which is simply a small caliber gun that can neutralize or scare away a simple threat.
I think for most situations, a .380 caliber gun in a pocket size is the way to go. Others will have different opinions...but for the size and ease of concealment, they can't be beat.
There are three different .380 guns I would recommend and I will give you my opinion on each one.

The first is the Ruger LCP...the LCP stands for lightweight compact pistol. You can actually buy the LCP in a 9 mm caliber...but that is an awfully small gun for a 9mm and the .380 is sufficient for most situations. I think the Ruger LCP holds 6 rounds. This will run you somewhere in the range of $400....maybe a little cheaper depending on where you live and where you buy. Check out pocket holsters or a holster you can conceal under a shirt. Google DeSantis holders.

The 2nd is the Kel-Tec P 3AT. This is one of the smallest lightest and cheapest on the market. You can get one for about $300...they come in different colors too...I like black or gray but a buddy has a camo that looks kind of neat.

The 3rd option and this is what I recommend over any other .380 is the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard MP .380. This will run about $350 to $450...and it holds 6+1 in the chamber. When purchased it comes with an extra magazine and a nice soft case. Some features I like....it does have a thumb safety as opposed to the Ruger and Kel tec. A lot of folks hate a safety but for me it provides a little extra security. It also has a place you can see to tell if there is a round in the chamber...another safety feature. It does have a long trigger pull. Unloaded this gun only weighs about 12.5 ounces....so you barely know it is there. Another good thing.....it is made in the USA.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Reactions: Ski and FHSPSU67
always tear it down and clean regularly. If in the event you need it, you don't want it jamming or it to not shoot straight.

Regular maintenance is big.

Lots of good advice already here about the crucial decision on pulling a hand gun, if you carry. So I'll give you advice on the CC permit itself.

I have had a PA concealed carry permit for a number of years. But I do travel somewhat and plan to travel more in the the coming years as I have recently semi retired. As the PA permit is not recognized in most other states I looked into how to carry in other states.

My oldest son and I attended a class conducted by Lethal Force (lethalforce.com). The one day course qualifies you to apply for a Utah concealed carry permit, recognized in 38 states. As the instructor described it, all the united states, which excludes the communist states of California, Illinois, NY, NJ, ..... At the course they also guide you through the application process to fill out the forms, including offering finger printed right there. My son and I now have Utah permits that allow us to carry in any of the states that I would like to travel to. i.e. when I visit my other son in oh-high-ya, drive to FL,....

I don't regularly carry, as some of the places I usually go such as sorting events, don't allow it. And in a restaurant or most public places I'd probably rather give up my money than take a life. But I always have a pistol in my glove compartment and another couple in the house. Like those here, I hope to never have to use it. But if I fear for my life or the life of my wife or family, I have the option to defend myself and my home.

It is a quandary of sorts for me. If I was ever in the wrong place during a mass shooting I would like to have my pistol. But I don't carry enough to ensure that I will have it when I could need it....

Oh, great. Another rookie who doesn't know what he is doing carrying a gun. You should at least get a lot of training. The fact you are asking a sports message board about it doesn't emanate warm and fuzzies.

Reactions: thecoolestfish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT