ADVERTISEMENT

OT: HBG proposal for AMZN hub (link)

I think transportation will be Pittsburgh's undoing. No beltway around the city, some cities have two, an inner loop and an outer one. The T just goes to the North Shore and through downtown to the South Hills, that's it.

Plus, not everyone likes fries and cole slaw on their sandwich.
The shortsightedness of Pittsburgh is going to cost them on this project. Instead of using the $523.4 million to expand the T light rail to the airport of another suburb they use it connect stadiums. Their love of all things Steelers may have cost them thousands of jobs.

Harrisburg has absolutely no shot. Whoever is spending resources on these proposals should cut it off now. Total waste of everybody's time and money.

Harrisburg is a cesspool and I think Philly's wage and sales tax as well as awful public education system will really hurt them.

The shortsightedness of Pittsburgh is going to cost them on this project. Instead of using the $523.4 million to expand the T light rail to the airport of another suburb they use it connect stadiums. Their love of all things Steelers may have cost them thousands of jobs.
It wasn't really Pittsburgh that made that ill-fated decision - it was the Allegheny County Commissioners at the time who abruptly changed the plans for that project. The City was in favor of and had been strongly pushing for the T to extend eastward to Oakland and the rest of the East End and branch north past the stadiums and into the North Side neighborhoods. The county changed plans, abandoned the eastward expansion and rerouted the T so that it makes a hard left at PNC Park to deliver suburbanites to Stiller games 8 Sunday's per year.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Don't really think Harrisburg has a shot at this. Of all of the potential sites in Pennsylvania, Philadelphia seems to fit a lot of Amazon's desired qualifications, but Pittsburgh has CMU has a potential wild card. No matter where they pick, I don't really see Amazon going with a city any smaller than Pittsburgh.
I honestly don't think anywhere in PA has a shot. Atlanta has potential

Reactions: PSU_Nut
This recent news has led speculation that it will be near Washington, D.C.:

Amazon founder and Washington Post owner Jeff Bezos has spent $23 million to buy the biggest home in the city in one of Washington's most elite neighborhoods.
He did that like 2+ years ago though!
After he bought the Washington Post, and they won a $600million CIA Contract.

Last edited:
It wasn't really Pittsburgh that made that ill-fated decision - it was the Allegheny County Commissioners at the time who abruptly changed the plans for that project. The City was in favor of and had been strongly pushing for the T to extend eastward to Oakland and the rest of the East End and branch north past the stadiums and into the North Side neighborhoods. The county changed plans, abandoned the eastward expansion and rerouted the T so that it makes a hard left at PNC Park to deliver suburbanites to Stiller games 8 Sunday's per year.

I take it from the North Shore to downtown for work so I'm not complaining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT