ADVERTISEMENT

OT: High End Dishwasher Recommendations....

Cincinnati Kid

May 29, 2001
Cincinnati
I would like to get your opinions on higher end dishwasher recommendations. I've had two of the top of the line Kitchen Aide dishwashers for the last seven years. They only seem to last 3-4 years with a family of four and usage is probably about average.

I'm not opposed to spending $1500 -$2500 if necessary. I've heard Bosch, Thermador, and Miele manufacture some quality units.

Please let me have your thoughts.

Thanks in advance! Go PSU!!!!

Had an ASKO installed about seven years ago or maybe more. Runs great, cleans the dishes well and super quiet. Can't remember what I paid for it back then. Made in Sweden I believe.

Quality is never cheap.
10-Signs-You-Are-Dating-A-Woman-Not-A-Girl-Domesticity1.jpg

I've had a Bosch for 10 years. The model I purchased was, at the time, the quietest dishwasher available. I've run it pretty steadily since then, and have never had to replace anything on it, get it serviced, etc.

About once a year or so I'll run it for a full cycle. All other times I use the Quick Wash option, which is the most economical way to run it. The only compromise I make to use Quick Wash is that I do scrap off food before I put dishes in the dishwasher.

I don't regret paying a premium for the Bosch, and if I had to unexpectedly replace it tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Bosch. My wife does grumble a bit that often there is a lot of water left on the bottom of cups when they are inverted in the dishwasher. Bosch, and pretty much all the high end dishwashers, use a stainless steel liner, which gets very hot during the wash cycle, to dry the dishes. Most friends that have high end dishwashers seem to have the same issue, so I don't think this is a problem that is unique to Bosch.

I've had a Bosch for 10 years. The model I purchased was, at the time, the quietest dishwasher available. I've run it pretty steadily since then, and have never had to replace anything on it, get it serviced, etc.

About once a year or so I'll run it for a full cycle. All other times I use the Quick Wash option, which is the most economical way to run it. The only compromise I make to use Quick Wash is that I do scrap off food before I put dishes in the dishwasher.

I don't regret paying a premium for the Bosch, and if I had to unexpectedly replace it tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Bosch. My wife does grumble a bit that often there is a lot of water left on the bottom of cups when they are inverted in the dishwasher. Bosch, and pretty much all the high end dishwashers, use a stainless steel liner, which gets very hot during the wash cycle, to dry the dishes. Most friends that have high end dishwashers seem to have the same issue, so I don't think this is a problem that is unique to Bosch.

Another vote for Bosch. When we moved into our current home, it had a relatively new builder grade GE that functioned for a couple years. Replaced it with a Bosch about 7 years ago. Quiet was important to us because we have an open floor plan kitchen/family room arrangement and our primary gathering spot is maybe 15 feet from the dishwasher. It is SUPER quiet. Cleans well. Has been zero problems.

Ditto what Tom said about drying- especially plastic items. We have to dry off the bottoms of the cups, and Tupperware typically comes out and goes to a drying rack beside the sink. However, because of the way they dry, I've never had a problem putting plastic on the bottom rack, so all that "top rack dishwasher safe" plastic ware you've got can be washed in the bottom rack. Small thing, but great flexibility in loading.

Love ours...

Another vote for Bosch. When we moved into our current home, it had a relatively new builder grade GE that functioned for a couple years. Replaced it with a Bosch about 7 years ago. Quiet was important to us because we have an open floor plan kitchen/family room arrangement and our primary gathering spot is maybe 15 feet from the dishwasher. It is SUPER quiet. Cleans well. Has been zero problems.

Ditto what Tom said about drying- especially plastic items. We have to dry off the bottoms of the cups, and Tupperware typically comes out and goes to a drying rack beside the sink. However, because of the way they dry, I've never had a problem putting plastic on the bottom rack, so all that "top rack dishwasher safe" plastic ware you've got can be washed in the bottom rack. Small thing, but great flexibility in loading.

Love ours...
Bosch

I would like to get your opinions on higher end dishwasher recommendations. I've had two of the top of the line Kitchen Aide dishwashers for the last seven years. They only seem to last 3-4 years with a family of four and usage is probably about average.

I'm not opposed to spending $1500 -$2500 if necessary. I've heard Bosch, Thermador, and Miele manufacture some quality units.

After lots of research we just bought a Bosch and had it installed about 1 week ago. So far we are quite pleased. It's as quite as people say.

If you have hard water, it is good to run descaler through your dishwasher (and for that matter your coffee machine) a couple of times a year. If you don't have hard water, descaler is a good idea every year or two just to get rid of mineral deposits that can clog the pump plumbing.

We've had Bosch dishwashers in 3 houses and they're great. They're so quiet you don't even know they're on, and they use remarkably little water -- just a couple gallons per cycle.

Looks to me that you spend about 8 times the capital cost that I do for my family of 4. I buy $400 Kenmore DW's that last 10-12 years and we have no complaints regarding their performance.

But if you have the $ and get satisfaction from seeing the Bosch or (insert other yuppie brand name here) name tag then go for it!!!

You can get a good Bosch for $1,100.

As others have suggested, they are both good and quiet.

'K

Have a Bosch and love it. Also had a Kitchen Aide. Before and like the Bosch much better. I think it was around $800.

I just want to chime in to say Rutgersal is spot on! We love our Miele. Looked at Bosch and would have been happy with that I'm sure. I know a local dealer that I wanted to work with and who had a deal on a floor model.

Our State College home, we redid our kitchen and went from Kitchen Aid to Bosch...it's like going from a basic Lincoln to a Bentley GT...love it!
:cool:

BOSCH - there simply isn't a better dishwasher on the market. We bought ours 5 years ago and it has been by far and away the best kitchen appliance purchase I have ever made. One feature ours doesn't have that my wife wishes we had is the 3rd tray. Her cousin has this feature in hers and it is awesome - I think it is used for knives, forks, spoons, etc. I'm not sure if it has a secondary utensil basket or not.

Just bought a fully integrated Bosch 800 series for under $800 with rebates on 4th of July. Stainless inside and out with a totally clean look (no advertising or controls) on the visible unit, which is nice if you are mixing it in to an "other" brand kitchen. The design includes a sealed tub under the unit with a float valve to pump out water should you ever develop a leak. Nice feature to protect expensive flooring. Totally silent and still learning the best way to load and which settings work best, to overcome the lack of a heating element. Not a big deal, just different than the old unit, which cooked the dishes dry, while spinning the electric meter. I have my doubts that any price unit today will be around in 10 years but Bosch does have a low rate of repair history. Did look at Miele but felt it was basically a double the price Bosch.

Last edited:
tip: bring a plate with you when shopping for dishwashers... you'll look like a psycho, but it's worth it

replaced my old Maytag with a KitchenAid last year... our plates just don't fit well in the new Kitchaid racking (they slotted in flawlessly in our old unit)... annoying to the point where we wish we went w/another mfr

better yet - bring in a dirty plate (non-rinsed/scraped) just to be sure ;)

Last edited:
Whatever you do...do it quick. New water usage regulations are being proposed and the old dishwasher prices have recently spiked as people, I assume, are trying to get them in before the regs take affect. I've been looking for a year, waiting for my old loud unit to break. All of these are good units but all clean similarly. The key is how long they last and how quiet they are. If you look, the quieter the unit, the more expensive. People simply buy the lowest db in their budget.

The new regs are being challenged, and won't be put into effect till 2019... which means it is possible for them to be scrapped after the next election cycle.

I talked to my wife about this, and we are actually considering purchasing a dishwasher for our next house, if these regs get passed. I know it sounds strange, but if I have to wash dishes by hand prior to running them through the dishwasher... I'll buy one now and store it, heck I may even buy 2. :eek:

The new regs are being challenged, and won't be put into effect till 2019... which means it is possible for them to be scrapped after the next election cycle.

I talked to my wife about this, and we are actually considering purchasing a dishwasher for our next house, if these regs get passed. I know it sounds strange, but if I have to wash dishes by hand prior to running them through the dishwasher... I'll buy one now and store it, heck I may even buy 2. :eek:

Reminds me of the regs put in place for low flush toilets and Canada new #1 export was toilets. Here in CLE, water is not a problem.

If you have to pay for your water and sewer, the Bosch (or any ultra water saving dishwasher) really pencils out.

The Bosch uses about 2 gallons of water per cycle. Old dishwashers are 17 gals (hand washing is 25 gals) Yearly savings is 5000 gals (about 600 cubic feet) over a conventional dishwasher, which in a typical city is going to save you $50-$60 a year on water alone. Plus the Bosch consumes about half the electricity of a conventional dishwasher, so you're saving $15 or $20 a year in power. So over the 10 year life of a dishwasher, the Bosch could be saving you $700 or so on utility bills. (also saves you on detergent). So it may actually be more than covering the difference in price -- and you get a dishwasher that is so quiet you don't know it's on. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

You can do the same kind of figuring for high-efficiency clothes washers and dryers. Depending on your water/sewer rates, high efficiency stuff can save you money if you are willing to make the up front investment.

Another vote for the Bosch. Go into a store that is willing to take one somewhat apart for you and you will see why they are so quite. If you find a salesman who actually knows how it works, how the water is pushed out, and how food scraps are dealt with....it will be hard not to buy the Bosch.

I have been reading, but not responding to, this post with interest.

1) what specifically failed on those Kitchen Aide's? The huge benefit of a Whirlpool product is the ability to easily get parts for and repair one of their appliances. I'm really curious to know what failed and who told you that the Kitchen Aide was unrepairable.

2) the Bosch's are clearly favored by the multiple respondents to this thread. But....when they have a problem...and they will.... the check you will need to write will be far larger than when the Whirlpool hiccups.

3) forget the Samsungs or the LG's. They are inexpensive and quiet at first, but then they break. Good luck getting parts or a qualified repairman in a timely fashion. 2-6 weeks doing dishes by hand? No thanks.

Reactions: TarheelFlyer
I don't buy an appliance with the intention of having it repaired in 10 years, and quite honestly if it needs to be repaired after 10 years it is more likely time for a new one. If you are buying appliances based off repair costs... I suggest buying a more reliable unit that costs a bit more.

We bought our BOSCH when Bray & Scarf was having a pretty good sale on them. I think ours was < $1,000.00

We have a Bosch we got three years ago. Quiet, yes very, but it doesn't clean all that well. Not sure of the model number but it was over $800. Next time we'll get the Miele.

I just want to reiterate that the Miele is fantastic. You can demo the models at their corporate store in Princeton, NJ. Actually it's not really a store because there's nothing to buy. They just answer consumers questions and you can try out their products. I was so impressed, I got the cheapest Miele at PC Richard, and couldn't be happier. And if something should break, they've got a solid service force ready to help out.

BOSCH - there simply isn't a better dishwasher on the market. We bought ours 5 years ago and it has been by far and away the best kitchen appliance purchase I have ever made. One feature ours doesn't have that my wife wishes we had is the 3rd tray. Her cousin has this feature in hers and it is awesome - I think it is used for knives, forks, spoons, etc. I'm not sure if it has a secondary utensil basket or not.
BOSCH is the way to go. We do have one with the 3rd rack and it's super convenient. It comes with a secondary basket which we took out. No need with the 3rd rack for utensils. Quiet as any I've ever seen or used.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT