ADVERTISEMENT

OT - How does one handle a joint NLC account through divorce?

MonkeyPSU

Mar 21, 2007
Long story short, my wife is having an affair and we are getting divorced. The NLC account is under her name, but we have been married the entire time the account has existed. Is there any way to split the points? Any advice regarding this would be helpful. I tried calling the NLC but they are out for the holidays.

I am sorry to hear of your marital problems. I would suggest that you get a good divorce lawyer. If there is an issue about splitting Nittany Lion Club points, you will need one. Best of luck.

Reactions: indoorgolf
I am sorry to hear of your marital problems. I would suggest that you get a good divorce lawyer. If there is an issue about splitting Nittany Lion Club points, you will need one. Best of luck.

I've got a good lawyer. Just trying to figure out if anyone has been through this and found a reasonable solution.

Reactions: fairgambit
I'm guessing the club has dealt with that one many times. Call them and see what options they have and then advise your attorney. Your challenge is going to be it only being in her name. Can you prove you made contributions? If not you are screwed I'm guessing.

I'm guessing the club has dealt with that one many times. Call them and see what options they have and then advise your attorney. Your challenge is going to be it only being in her name. Can you prove you made contributions? If not you are screwed I'm guessing.

I should be able to prove that all the donations came from our joint checking account. I'm not looking to fight her over it. It isn't that big of a deal at this point in the NLC. Just hoping to get a fair share somehow. I plan to call them on Monday and hopefully they do have some options.

although it may be her name, if it started after the marriage, it is really joint property, and it has a value. (assuming you are in a jt property state) You may be able to use that value as leverage for something else you want or something she wants. Ex, say to her, 'okay you can have the NLC club points, but I want all of my 401k' or whatever or you can have the NLC points but they cost us $x, so I will take $x/2 in return.

I don't have any info on how NLC accounts are handled under these circumstances. Just wanted to wish you the best during this difficult time and know that I and others here will be thinking of you. I don't mean to pry, just wondering if this only recently came to light? What a kick in the holiday chestnuts.

Long story short, my wife is having an affair and we are getting divorced. The NLC account is under her name, but we have been married the entire time the account has existed. Is there any way to split the points? Any advice regarding this would be helpful. I tried calling the NLC but they are out for the holidays.
I'd feign interest in splitting the points during negotiations in exchange for something with real value. Think of your generosity as "awarding her a gift that keeps on asking (for $$)".

During football season, you then get yourself a hottie, bling her up, take her to the games, parade her around in front of your ex and then proceed to sit in far better seats (acquired on the open market) than what your ex has with her NLC membership. Sweet revenge.

Now if the hottie is too high-maintenance, you might need to drop her during the offseason and pick her up on waivers every September. :cool:

Last edited:
I don't have any info on how NLC accounts are handled under these circumstances. Just wanted to wish you the best during this difficult time and know that I and others here will be thinking of you. I don't mean to pry, just wondering if this only recently came to light? What a kick in the holiday chestnuts.

Thanks for the kind words. I found out Nov. 29 when I got back from a hunting trip. She got home from her parents on Nov. 30 and moved out when I confronted her about it. It's been rough but I'll get through it. Thank god for the family and friends who have been very supportive. I count myself blessed.

Reactions: Sviatoslav
Thanks for the kind words. I found out Nov. 29 when I got back from a hunting trip. She got home from her parents on Nov. 30 and moved out when I confronted her about it. It's been rough but I'll get through it. Thank god for the family and friends who have been very supportive. I count myself blessed.
I too went through this crap, and about this time of year. Basically people tell you that you will be better off and happier, and you will not believe them, but in reality it will all work out for the better. Hang in there, the one piece of advice I was given was, don't make any major changes to your life for a least 1 year. That is don't quit your job and move to Key West, or don't get remarried next month etc Give yourself some time. Good luck!!!

I too went through this crap, and about this time of year. Basically people tell you that you will be better off and happier, and you will not believe them, but in reality it will all work out for the better. Hang in there, the one piece of advice I was given was, don't make any major changes to your life for a least 1 year. That is don't quit your job and move to Key West, or don't get remarried next month etc Give yourself some time. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I do plan to be better off in time. My job affords me the luxury of working from home full time. I may stay where I am, or I may move closer to friends and family. But that's not something I need to figure out quite yet.

No problem....you can determine the cash value of your half. Then, you can buy her out of her half, or she can buy you out of yours (of which you then rejoin). Note that, as part of the cash value, the one who retains gets a better split if rejoining gives you crappier status. And, as someone posted, call the club and see if they will honor your status.

Same goes with things like frequent flier points and the rest.

BTW, sorry to hear about your wife issues....I am also divorced and after a few months, I realized it was the best thing that could have happened. I had a blast, found another gal, and am happier than a pig in poop (as we said down on the farm.).

Reactions: MonkeyPSU
Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I do plan to be better off in time. My job affords me the luxury of working from home full time. I may stay where I am, or I may move closer to friends and family. But that's not something I need to figure out quite yet.
Some advice from my perspective and experience.
1- Get divorce papers filed immediately. Asset accounts will be immediately frozen. You should be the one who files since she stepped outside the marriage. You do this because there is a legal side to a divorce and a public/social side of divorce. You are the "good guy" here. You file.
2- Divorce is poker and you are dealt one hand. Play it well because the decisions and agreements you make can last a long time. It's a pain in the butt to be paying an exwife 5 + years from now and you can't afford to go on a vacation with your current girlfriend/wife.
3- She is the guilty one so she probably has some guilt regarding her behavior. Use her guilt to your advantage during the poker game.
4- Always be nice. Don't trash her publically but be sure everyone knows why you are filing for divorce.
5- As bad as in may seem now, and I know there will more difficult days ahead, it really does get better ... much better!!! In time you will be having fun again.

Best of luck

As a divorce attorney, I'd ask the question "what are NLC points really worth?" Especially after STEP! While in theory its a nice thought but I don't see them having much value. The only real value I see in them is leverage for one spouse if they really know the other spouse wants them for whatever reason. But even then, how to value them? They have no market value regardless of what you pay for them. Its not like you can put all the points on some NLC marketplace, sell them and split the proceeds. I wouldn't give up the house (figuratively speaking) to get them.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
Priority status is enjoyed by Nittany Lion Club members for the purpose of procuring football and men's and women's basketball tickets and securing seating priorities. Members are given first priority in purchasing tickets based on their Nittany Lion Club point total.

Points are assigned as follows:
• 1 Point for each $50 contributed since becoming a member
• 2 Points for each year of club membership
• 10 Points for Penn State alumni/alumnae (maximum of 5 points per membership).
• 20 Points for lifetime members of the Alumni Association (one time only).
• 10 Points for lettered athletes in a Penn State varsity sport at the University Park Campus (one time only).

Example
A Nittany Lion Club member contributes $200 per year for five years, is a lifetime member of the Alumni Association and is a Penn State alumnus/alumna:

20 points - 1 point for each $50 contributed (4 points/year x 5 years = 20)
10 points - 2 points for each year of membership
10 points - Penn State alumnus/alumna (one time only)
+ 20 points - Lifetime member, Alumni Association (one time only)
60 points total

Was married for 13 years, now been divorced for 18 years. Life does get better - quickly.

She blindsided me, but being the nice guy that I was I thought giving her some time / space might help. It did help.....her pocketbook. I was having a good financial year that she ended up getting a good chunk of because of my delay in filing....so.....it's hard, but my advice is get this marriage over with ASAP. Cut your financial losses and move on with life ASAP. Being a nice guy and trying to work it out cost me an extra $100,000.

I still stayed very good friends with her parents and many / most mutual friends. (Great revenge, a nice side benefit, really pissed her off!) She later got married again, that one lasted seven years for her. Her then husband called me one afternoon, said he was divorce victim #2. We kidded that she worked for NASA - thought the world revolved around her.

Since you can work at home.....get a good pet like a basset hound. Always happy to see you, won't cost as much and (seriously) is a chick-magnet in public!

I'm not serious here too often, but I will be right now: it's heartbreaking, it won't be easy, you'll be miserable at times, but life will be better. The sooner you fight through this, the sooner you'll bounce back!

I am sorry to hear about your marital issues. Just as an FYI the NLC offices may not be open until after the 1st. I believe the University us essentially shut down at this time except essential services like police and OPP to keep the heart on.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT