ADVERTISEMENT

OT: In no surprise Dustin Johnson chases Saudi cash

I think we are seeing the emergence of a "new world order". Traditional American Values are no longer meaningful on the world stage. Today, the answer to the question of "what a nation?" has eroded. Today, elite earners no longer care. It is a free for all on a world stage. Note that Formula One had a big race in Saudi Arabia earlier this year. This was days after terrorists blew up an oil refinery. They also just executed three people. China is no better.

Russia, Mexico, South Africa.....

I think the world is becoming a nation in and of itself. World governing bodies are exerting themselves (Davos, UN, WHO, etc.).

Why? The internet has really shrunken the world. So there is no longer this feeling of community or affinity. In addition, things have so drastically changed in terms of COVID, gender, economies...etc. Why not go play golf in SA or Russia or China? Is the USA any better? I no longer believe that it is.
American Exceptionalism. If you don't think we're perfect and the best at everything --- we'll just rewrite our history books. Meanwhile simple basic sanity as it relates to overwhelmingly supported improvements in gun control will be blindsided by in the Senate. What is so distressing to me is that I still feel most Americans are decent people, but our politics have gone so far off the rails that it's making us appear to be a very stupid nation. I guess it's a cliche, but I think our populace is better than the politicians who represent us.

I saw Phil in action at while volunteering at the US Open at Oakmont. Let's just say that his treatment of the staff and volunteers was less than exemplary and leave it at that. None of the long-time volunteers were surprised and chalked it up to Phil being Phil. As for his personal life, there are plenty of stories about Phil's skirt chasing; he appears to be a bit more discreet, chase a higher class of skirt, and have a more accommodating wife than Woods had. Neither Woods nor Phil are saints by any means.
Including other players' wives I am told.

American Exceptionalism. If you don't think we're perfect and the best at everything --- we'll just rewrite our history books. Meanwhile simple basic sanity as it relates to overwhelmingly supported improvements in gun control will be blindsided by in the Senate. What is so distressing to me is that I still feel most Americans are decent people, but our politics have gone so far off the rails that it's making us appear to be a very stupid nation. I guess it's a cliche, but I think our populace is better than the politicians who represent us.
I agree. On gun control, the issue is how to write legislation. There is no definition of an "assault rifle". We an make minor changes like increasing the age to 21 to buy a gun (which sounds ridiculous because you get one for free at age 18 by joining the army) or doing more background checks (which would have prevented few of the shootings over the last few years). But we can feel good about ourselves for doing something. The problems with gun violence in the USA is culture and healthcare. 99% of shootings fall into two categories: Gang activity (drugs or stealing women) and mental health inadequacies (Sandy Hook, Uvalde, Stoneman Douglas). I can get on board with limiting the size of the magazine (you just bring more, especially when we so both Uvalde and Stoneman cops to nothing and let the shooter shoot for extended periods), waiting periods, and background checks. But all of them will be inconsequential.

I agree. On gun control, the issue is how to write legislation. There is no definition of an "assault rifle". We an make minor changes like increasing the age to 21 to buy a gun (which sounds ridiculous because you get one for free at age 18 by joining the army) or doing more background checks (which would have prevented few of the shootings over the last few years). But we can feel good about ourselves for doing something. The problems with gun violence in the USA is culture and healthcare. 99% of shootings fall into two categories: Gang activity (drugs or stealing women) and mental health inadequacies (Sandy Hook, Uvalde, Stoneman Douglas). I can get on board with limiting the size of the magazine (you just bring more, especially when we so both Uvalde and Stoneman cops to nothing and let the shooter shoot for extended periods), waiting periods, and background checks. But all of them will be inconsequential.
i disagree with the 18 to 21 comment. I think that would help. Some of these high school kids can do things on impulse essentially which if you raised the age would stop that from happening. As 21 years are not being bullied in high school and looking for revenge. I think that is a pretty simple thing to do as a starting point.

And if you go into the Army after high school, you have some of the most intense gun safety and training imaginable. So again, this would be kids after high school going into the armed forces where they are monitored very closely, etc...so in no way comparable to going down to a store and buying an assault rifle.

Ultimately, there isn't any solution which can be done to stop the issue tomorrow. Need to pick away at it. Which includes raising the age to 21 for assault rifles, limiting extended magazines, much better red flag laws with involuntary admittance to asylums, much stronger penalty's for any type of threat whatsoever against a school (ie..you make a threat, you are automatically admitted to a hospital for evaluation for an extended time, you have to wear an ankle bracelet, you cannot buy a gun, etc...), better training of police, better security and hardening of schools. All these things have to be done to start to decrease the issues happening.

i disagree with the 18 to 21 comment. I think that would help. Some of these high school kids can do things on impulse essentially which if you raised the age would stop that from happening. As 21 years are not being bullied in high school and looking for revenge. I think that is a pretty simple thing to do as a starting point.

And if you go into the Army after high school, you have some of the most intense gun safety and training imaginable. So again, this would be kids after high school going into the armed forces where they are monitored very closely, etc...so in no way comparable to going down to a store and buying an assault rifle.

Ultimately, there isn't any solution which can be done to stop the issue tomorrow. Need to pick away at it. Which includes raising the age to 21 for assault rifles, limiting extended magazines, much better red flag laws with involuntary admittance to asylums, much stronger penalty's for any type of threat whatsoever against a school (ie..you make a threat, you are automatically admitted to a hospital for evaluation for an extended time, you have to wear an ankle bracelet, you cannot buy a gun, etc...), better training of police, better security and hardening of schools. All these things have to be done to start to decrease the issues happening.
I don't disagree at all, really. It is just something that politicos can do to make it look like they are doing something while not addressing the greater problem (culture and healthcare).

I don't disagree at all, really. It is just something that politicos can do to make it look like they are doing something while not addressing the greater problem (culture and healthcare).
What is it about US culture and healthcare that you believe causes gun deaths at much higher rates than other parts of the world?

What is it about US culture and healthcare that you believe causes gun deaths at much higher rates than other parts of the world?
1) if you look at the rise in penitentiary housing versus the loss of mental health beds available, you'll see a stunning correlation. Many people incarcerated are people that should have been in mental hospitals. Many of the shooters are simply mentally ill. If you look at Sandy Hook, Uvalde, and Stoneman Douglas all have been mentally ill. They used guns, they could have easily used a car, truck or bomb. The worst mass school killing in US History was 45 dead and 58 injured. Do you know how that was done? Check the link. At the end of the day, we try to pretend our mentally ill can and will suddenly get stuck my lightening and be OK. And in many cases, they can. but from time to time they flip out and shoot people. My first run-in was with the University of TX shooter in 1966 who was being treated for outbreaks of anger and an impulse to shoot people. Often it is the best course, from time to time it is not.

2) the second is a matter of how we've allowed our inner cities to deteriorate and the culture that has ensued. Our inner cities are nothing less than war zones. And the list is inclusive of Philly, Detroit, Chicago, NY, Houston, Birmingham, Cleveland..... Much, in fact, most, of this is black on black. The GOP has been completely locked out of any law enforcement or judicial proceedings in these cities for decades. I don't know if they can or want to help, to be honest, but it doesn't matter. They can't. Democrats don't seem to care. In fact, after two years of BLM, almost nothing has changed. Defunding the police has been a complete and total disaster. What nobody wants to do is what is necessary. Democratic and Black leadership needs to step up and take accountability. Anyone who has tried has been canceled. The great black leaders, including successful sports figures, don't dare lest threatened to be canceled. Democrats, not only haven't stepped up, but actually have gone the other way blaming all of this on racism. (even when we see that black on black is disproportionately higher than any other per my link above).

Now, we can all pretend we are doing something We can pretend that gun legislation will make a difference. But until we start treating the disease and not the symptom we aren't going to get anywhere

Report: Tiger Woods turned down "mind-blowingly enormous ... high nine digits" figure from Saudi golf league​

By Joel Beall
June 06, 2022

Sam Greenwood

In an interview with the Washington Post, Greg Norman said Tiger Woods was offered a gargantuan deal to join LIV Golf.
Norman, who serves as the CEO for the Saudi-based golf league that launches this week, was profiled by the Washington Post’s Kent Baab. In the piece Baab notes that LIV Golf representatives pitched the fledgling circuit to Woods’ representatives. According to Norman the offer was “mind-blowingly enormous.”

“We’re talking about high nine digits,” Norman said.
The news comes on the heels of Jack Nicklaus acknowledging he turned down a $100 million offer to be associated with LIV Golf—in a role that Norman now employs—and reports that Dustin Johnson received a nine-figure deal to play in the LIV Golf Invitational series.
Woods has acknowledged in the past being approached by the backers of LIV Golf. However, he has reiterated his support to the PGA Tour numerous times, including in May at the PGA Championship.
“You know, [Phil Mickelson] has his opinion on where he sees the game of golf going. I have my viewpoint on how I see the game of golf, and I've supported the tour and my foundation has run events on the tour for a number of years,” Woods said at Southern Hills. “I just think that what Jack [Nicklaus] and Arnold [Palmer] have done in starting the tour and breaking away from the PGA of America and creating our tour in '68 or '69, somewhere in there, I just think there's a legacy to that.
“I've been playing out here for a couple of years over decades, and I think there's a legacy to it. I still think that the tour has so much to offer, so much opportunity. … I understand different viewpoints, but I believe in legacies; I believe in major championships; I believe in big events, comparisons to historical figures of the past. There's plenty of money out here. The tour is growing. But it's just like any other sport. It's like tennis. You have to go out there and earn it. You've got to go out there and play for it. We have opportunity to go ahead and do it. It's just not guaranteed up front.”
The inaugural LIV Golf Invitiational begins this week in London. Johnson headlines the event, with other notables including Louis Oosthuizen, Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood, Talor Gooch, Martin Kaymer, Kevin Na and Ian Poulter. Though he’s yet to be formally announced, it is believed Phil Mickelson is also associated with the series.

PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan has promised that any tour member who competes in an event on the rival league would face suspension from the PGA Tour and possibly a lifetime ban. The tour denied conflicting-event releases to all tour members who requested to compete in LIV Golf’s inaugural event.

I watched some of the Memorial Tourny on TV as my son was driving a cart as a volunteer (shuffle food, water, people back and forth to the playing surface as needed). Jack seemed very gracious. Two very funny stories.

• they were talking about 18 and how that became a signature hole. "how do you designed something like this?" Jack said that there was a big hickory tree in front of where the greet is. They kept asking Jack for permission to take it down. He hated to kill this big old tree and kept looking at moving the fairway left or right to get around it. Finally, the lead engineer grabbed him standing where the green was to be placed and told Jack they had to take the tree down. Jack hesitatingly agreed. The engineer motioned to someone and he motioned to someone else. They had hidden a bulldozer behind another cluster of trees and they came out and bulldozed the tree before jack could change his mind.
  • Next question, how did you decide where to put the clubhouse? jack said "do you want the truth? The golf course is in XXX county. That county is dry. The clubhouse is in YYY county, and that county allowed alcohol to be purchased and consumed. That is they the golf course is in XXX county, and the clubhouse is in YYY county."
Later, they were discussing that Jack is to honored at The Open as an honorary citizen. The color guy, Nick Faldo, leaned to Jack and said "I'll be brining a very expensive bottle of scotch on that occasion!" Jack said "well, you'll be drinking it by yourself." I am sure he meant he no longer drinks but was surprised that he came back with that comment.

Phil Mickelson returns to professional golf! Unfortunately, it is at the Saudi Tour. Looks like his time on the PGA tour may be at a close. There are rumors that he is being paid north of $100,000,000. There are reports that Tiger was offered a figure "in the high 9 digits" (that is close to a billion dollars for those counting zeros).

Phil Mickelson returns to professional golf! Unfortunately, it is at the Saudi Tour. Looks like his time on the PGA tour may be at a close. There are rumors that he is being paid north of $100,000,000. There are reports that Tiger was offered a figure "in the high 9 digits" (that is close to a billion dollars for those counting zeros).

IF they are offering these guys up $100,000,000+ to go play on the LIV tour, then they all will leave as that is just way to much guaranteed money to pass up.

IF they are offering these guys up $100,000,000+ to go play on the LIV tour, then they all will leave as that is just way to much guaranteed money to pass up.
I'm thinking there are only a few guys worth that much to the LIV tour. So far, it looks like about half of those guys are taking the money, and half have said no.

I'm thinking there are only a few guys worth that much to the LIV tour. So far, it looks like about half of those guys are taking the money, and half have said no.
it is interesting. My guess is that you will never hit the big payday starting out or trying to build brand in the LIV tour. so the guys moving are guys toward the end of their careers who have already created that multimillion-dollar brand. so in a weird way, the PGA tour enabled these guys.

To make sure it doesn't get lost in the sauce, Tiger turned it down as part of his loyalty to the PGA tour. As many faults as the guy has, gotta give him some credit.

it is interesting. My guess is that you will never hit the big payday starting out or trying to build brand in the LIV tour. so the guys moving are guys toward the end of their careers who have already created that multimillion-dollar brand. so in a weird way, the PGA tour enabled these guys.

To make sure it doesn't get lost in the sauce, Tiger turned it down as part of his loyalty to the PGA tour. As many faults as the guy has, gotta give him some credit.
Tiger is an enigma. Super stand up guy in some respects, a pig in many others.

I struggle a little with comments like the PGA tour made these guys or enabled these guys.
To me the ultimate Darwinian sporting organization is the PGA tour.
You win you eat, you lose you go home. As good as DJ is he missed the cut at the PGA. He spent money to get and stay there paid his caddie and earned $0. So these guys are good enough that a lot of folks watch them on TV and when they win they they get a lot of dough. But it is because they are good not the PGA tour has done anything special.
It will be interesting to see this play out.

Tiger is an enigma. Super stand up guy in some respects, a pig in many others.
I read excerpts from the biography that came out a few years back. To say he had an interesting upbringing is an understatement. As a kid he wanted to play soccer with his friends while also playing golf, but dad refused. (It's interesting that his daughter plays soccer and he is at most of her games.) He was deeply hurt by his father's cheating on his mom, but repeated the same behavior as an adult. He entered Stanford as a socially awkward nerd who trusted almost no one. While he overcame the social issues, he spent most of his career assuming most of the people around him were just looking to take advantage of him. The result is what you see and what you accurately described.

Last edited:
I read excerpts from the biography that came out a few years back. To say he had an interesting upbringing is an understatement. As a kid he wanted to play soccer with his friends while also golf, but dad refused. (It's interesting that his daughter plays soccer and he is at most of her games.) He was deeply hurt by his father's cheating on his mom, but repeated the same behavior as an adult. He entered Stanford as a socially awkward nerd who trusted almost no one. While he overcame the social issues, he spent most of his career assuming most of the people around him were just looking to take advantage of him. The result is what you see and what you accurately described.
One of my favorite Tiger stories is that he was young and a golf phenom but single. he was hanging out with Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley at a club and apparently was making eyes with a young lady there. MJ told him to go talk to her. Tiger, being shy, said, "What should I say to her?" MJ, took a sip and then said "Tell her you are Tiger ****ing Woods, that's what you say!"

Far easier to blame guns than engage in real problem solving. The anti-gun crowd’s mantra for decades. How is all that strict gun control working out in Chicago?

Bryson left the tour yesterday for LIV. Pretty shocking and quite a blow for the PGA

I apprenticed for many years for a long time PGA Tour player from the 70's. I've probably played more golf with him than just about any other person in my life.
Guys back then barely made enough money to travel from event to event back then. They shared rides and rooms together and spent tons of time on the road away from family, ultimately breaking up a lot of families with divorce and infidelity.
Arnold Palmer & Jack Nicklaus blazed a trail for today's players to make millions and millions traveling in luxury from fancy private club to fancy private club while playing the most amazing game ever for a living. This is all because of today's player's forefathers like Arnie & Jack. For guys to straight piss on that legacy is sad and short sighted. The Tour gave these guys everything, including the motivation to work hard to get there.

I apprenticed for many years for a long time PGA Tour player from the 70's. I've probably played more golf with him than just about any other person in my life.
Guys back then barely made enough money to travel from event to event back then. They shared rides and rooms together and spent tons of time on the road away from family, ultimately breaking up a lot of families with divorce and infidelity.
Arnold Palmer & Jack Nicklaus blazed a trail for today's players to make millions and millions traveling in luxury from fancy private club to fancy private club while playing the most amazing game ever for a living. This is all because of today's player's forefathers like Arnie & Jack. For guys to straight piss on that legacy is sad and short sighted. The Tour gave these guys everything, including the motivation to work hard to get there.
Low handicapper. Gotta disagree. As you say Arnold and Jack blazed the trail. The PGA tour just held on for the ride. If you want more for the players you should embrace this. It reminds me of the early NFL/AFL days. If both parties are smart they will fight for a while then figure out a merger.

did they report how much? Gotta believe it is $100M+ akin to what Dustin Johnson was getting, would not be surprised if it was more.
hard to pass that up. As I understand it, they'll be able to play the majors which include worldwide participation (not sure why PGA includes non US players for the PGA championship though). My guess is that the players that go LIV will lose out in some endorsement money because they just won't get the exposure. But for $100m guaranteed? hard to pass up

hard to pass that up. As I understand it, they'll be able to play the majors which include worldwide participation (not sure why PGA includes non US players for the PGA championship though). My guess is that the players that go LIV will lose out in some endorsement money because they just won't get the exposure. But for $100m guaranteed? hard to pass up
If true on the majors this really makes this a no brainer. I was watching the streaming today and they quoted DJ as saying he is more excited for this than any tour event except the majors. Allow him and folks like him [Rory} to play in the majors and this is a slam dunk.

Low handicapper. Gotta disagree. As you say Arnold and Jack blazed the trail. The PGA tour just held on for the ride. If you want more for the players you should embrace this. It reminds me of the early NFL/AFL days. If both parties are smart they will fight for a while then figure out a merger.
I agree with you. I love Arny and Jack but its about the money, make no mistake. These guys broke the code with IMG here in CLE and think nothing of hocking crap products for money. Remember the setback Tiger had by playing crap Nike clubs?

Today things are different. The WWW has changed it all. today, you can play anywhere in the world (solar system) and watch it in real-time. There isn't any different from watching the event at Pinehurst on TV than the event in Croatia. So the PGA now has worldwide competition.

it will be interesting to see how LIV sustains these kinds of payments. It is hard for me to believe they can pay payers some number exceeding a billion dollars for very long. If they can, the PGA certainly can.

I agree with you. I love Arny and Jack but its about the money, make no mistake. These guys broke the code with IMG here in CLE and think nothing of hocking crap products for money. Remember the setback Tiger had by playing crap Nike clubs?

Today things are different. The WWW has changed it all. today, you can play anywhere in the world (solar system) and watch it in real-time. There isn't any different from watching the event at Pinehurst on TV than the event in Croatia. So the PGA now has worldwide competition.

it will be interesting to see how LIV sustains these kinds of payments. It is hard for me to believe they can pay payers some number exceeding a billion dollars for very long. If they can, the PGA certainly can.
with oil at $100+ per barrel, Saudi's and Middle East oil countries will be able to afford paying that type of stuff for a while.

Reactions: dailybuck777
with oil at $100+ per barrel, Saudi's and Middle East oil countries will be able to afford paying that type of stuff for a while.
but why? if they are simply zoo animals I am OK with it. But I suspect that they are trying to jump start some kind of sustainable tour. At that kind of money, how long do you bleed that money?

is there really that kind of market for people to play in SA? I suspect it is more about real estate value...in other words, they want to create some high end resorts to draw people from around the world with part of that being some way cool golf courses.

Nothing I said was opinion. It was all fact, except possibly the pissing part. It's hard to argue with facts but many before you have tried.
Lets not let principal get in the way of an already obscenely lavish lifestyle of the ones going to LIV for the additional government credits.
It's not like these guys are going to LIV for the poor guys ranked 132-186 on the Tour who don't have exemption into every event, don't have guaranteed big sponsor money and literally need to make the cut to put food on the table. That is not what they are doing. They are leaving because the inmates want to run the asylum. They want to make their own rules. Lets be very clear here, LIV exists because the very top players or thereabouts want to make the rules and want all the money. (period) No reason to beat around the bush.

Reactions: richie83
but why? if they are simply zoo animals I am OK with it. But I suspect that they are trying to jump start some kind of sustainable tour. At that kind of money, how long do you bleed that money?

is there really that kind of market for people to play in SA? I suspect it is more about real estate value...in other words, they want to create some high end resorts to draw people from around the world with part of that being some way cool golf courses.
Saudi's literally said a few years ago they need to diversity their economy to beyond oil and are investing in a whole lot of things. Sounds like some sports leagues are part of that. I think you are correct that they are looking to put in some golf courses and then get tourists from other ME countries, Asian, and Europe as higher end resort destinations. But at the same time, don't underestimate the amount of money that the Saudi's have to pay a dozen golfer's absurd money for a while.

Arnie hucked some real doozies, pool floatation devices being one of them.
Make no mistake, Arnie & Jack's market appeal was solely due to their success on the PGA Tour. Solely and singularly. Nobody gave a crap that they won the US Amateur.
They elevated the PGA Tour to what they wanted to be for players, they didn't cut and run at the first sign of a couple bucks.
Jeff Bezos could reshape any modern sports league he wanted to if he so chose. That don't make it right.

Arnie hucked some real doozies, pool floatation devices being one of them.
Make no mistake, Arnie & Jack's market appeal was solely due to their success on the PGA Tour. Solely and singularly. Nobody gave a crap that they won the US Amateur.
They elevated the PGA Tour to what they wanted to be for players, they didn't cut and run at the first sign of a couple bucks.
Jeff Bezos could reshape any modern sports league he wanted to if he so chose. That don't make it right.
I really don't agree at all. To your point, they hucked crap for money. There was no other money other than the PGA. Had there been a LIV, they would surely have considered it.

These tour players are no different than the football, hockey, basketball and baseball players that tell the fans how important they are and then go sign for bigger bucks on a team on the east or west coast. Do you really think Steph Curry eats at Subway? These guys are "pros" which stands for "professional".

I was invited to the NBA players union party at the NBA all-star game in Phoenix several years ago. The headline was T-Pain. At the time, the player's contract was coming to a close. Few big stars attended the Union party whereas, typically, they get close to 100% attendance. Where were the stars? They had their own party. LeBron and the super stars at the time got Beyonce to perform. Why? They were sending a message to the union: we control the players association, the stars, not you. They wanted less base money for the average players and higher salary caps for the stars. The cap at the time for single players? About $25m per year. How much did they really need or want?

pro·fes·sion·al - engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

PGA Release:

Commissioner Jay Monahan sent a memo to the PGA TOUR’s membership Thursday to update them on players choosing to compete this week without the proper conflicting event and media rights release.

In accordance with the PGA TOUR’s Tournament Regulations, the players competing this week without releases are suspended or otherwise no longer eligible to participate in PGA TOUR tournament play, including the Presidents Cup. This also applies to all tours sanctioned by the PGA TOUR: the Korn Ferry Tour, PGA TOUR Champions, PGA TOUR Canada and PGA TOUR Latinoamérica.

“Their participation in the Saudi Golf League/LIV Golf event is in violation of our Tournament Regulations,” Monahan wrote. “The same fate holds true for any other players who participate in future Saudi Golf League events in violation of our Regulations.”

Also in accordance with PGA TOUR Tournament Regulations, the players who have resigned their membership will be removed from the FedExCup Points List when the official statistics following the RBC Canadian Open are posted on Sunday evening. These players will not be permitted to play in PGA TOUR tournaments as a non-member via a sponsor exemption or any other eligibility category. The memo included an additional commitment that the TOUR’s current membership will not be negatively impacted – in the way of Priority Rankings, tournament eligibility or eligibility to compete in the FedExCup Playoffs – by those suspended members who have yet to resign.

“These players have made their choice for their own financial-based reasons,” Monahan wrote to the TOUR’s membership. “But they can’t demand the same PGA TOUR membership benefits, considerations, opportunities and platform as you. That expectation disrespects you, our fans and our partners.”

Monahan said in regards to additional questions about players’ ability to return to the TOUR in the future, “Trust that we’re prepared to deal with those questions and we’ll approach them in the same we have this entire process: by being transparent and respecting the PGA TOUR regulations that you helped establish.”

“I am certain our fans and partners – who are surely tired of all this talk of money, money and more money – will continue to be entertained and compelled by the world-class competition you display each and every week, where there are true consequences for every shot you take and your rightful place in history whenever you reach that elusive winner’s circle,” Monahan wrote. “This week, the RBC Canadian Open is a shining example of what you have created with the PGA TOUR: a star-studded field, a committed sponsor, sold-out hospitality offerings, record crowds and a global broadcast distribution. These elements are part of the TOUR’s DNA, built by the likes of Jack and Arnie, furthered by Tiger and countless others – whose legacies are inextricably linked, with each other and with the PGA TOUR. This collective legacy can’t be bought or sold.”

The following players are suspended or otherwise no longer eligible for PGA TOUR tournament play:

Sergio Garcia*
Talor Gooch
Branden Grace*
Dustin Johnson*
Matt Jones
Martin Kaymer*
Graeme McDowell*
Phil Mickelson
Kevin Na*

Andy Ogletree
Louis Oosthuizen*
Turk Pettit*
Ian Poulter
Charl Schwartzel*

Hudson Swafford
Peter Uihlein
Lee Westwood*

(*- have informed the PGA TOUR that they have resigned their membership)

PGA Release:

Commissioner Jay Monahan sent a memo to the PGA TOUR’s membership Thursday to update them on players choosing to compete this week without the proper conflicting event and media rights release.

In accordance with the PGA TOUR’s Tournament Regulations, the players competing this week without releases are suspended or otherwise no longer eligible to participate in PGA TOUR tournament play, including the Presidents Cup. This also applies to all tours sanctioned by the PGA TOUR: the Korn Ferry Tour, PGA TOUR Champions, PGA TOUR Canada and PGA TOUR Latinoamérica.

“Their participation in the Saudi Golf League/LIV Golf event is in violation of our Tournament Regulations,” Monahan wrote. “The same fate holds true for any other players who participate in future Saudi Golf League events in violation of our Regulations.”

Also in accordance with PGA TOUR Tournament Regulations, the players who have resigned their membership will be removed from the FedExCup Points List when the official statistics following the RBC Canadian Open are posted on Sunday evening. These players will not be permitted to play in PGA TOUR tournaments as a non-member via a sponsor exemption or any other eligibility category. The memo included an additional commitment that the TOUR’s current membership will not be negatively impacted – in the way of Priority Rankings, tournament eligibility or eligibility to compete in the FedExCup Playoffs – by those suspended members who have yet to resign.

“These players have made their choice for their own financial-based reasons,” Monahan wrote to the TOUR’s membership. “But they can’t demand the same PGA TOUR membership benefits, considerations, opportunities and platform as you. That expectation disrespects you, our fans and our partners.”

Monahan said in regards to additional questions about players’ ability to return to the TOUR in the future, “Trust that we’re prepared to deal with those questions and we’ll approach them in the same we have this entire process: by being transparent and respecting the PGA TOUR regulations that you helped establish.”

“I am certain our fans and partners – who are surely tired of all this talk of money, money and more money – will continue to be entertained and compelled by the world-class competition you display each and every week, where there are true consequences for every shot you take and your rightful place in history whenever you reach that elusive winner’s circle,” Monahan wrote. “This week, the RBC Canadian Open is a shining example of what you have created with the PGA TOUR: a star-studded field, a committed sponsor, sold-out hospitality offerings, record crowds and a global broadcast distribution. These elements are part of the TOUR’s DNA, built by the likes of Jack and Arnie, furthered by Tiger and countless others – whose legacies are inextricably linked, with each other and with the PGA TOUR. This collective legacy can’t be bought or sold.”

The following players are suspended or otherwise no longer eligible for PGA TOUR tournament play:

Sergio Garcia*
Talor Gooch
Branden Grace*
Dustin Johnson*
Matt Jones
Martin Kaymer*
Graeme McDowell*
Phil Mickelson
Kevin Na*

Andy Ogletree
Louis Oosthuizen*
Turk Pettit*
Ian Poulter
Charl Schwartzel*

Hudson Swafford
Peter Uihlein
Lee Westwood*

(*- have informed the PGA TOUR that they have resigned their membership)

reality is PGA tour is in trouble, they cannot compete with Saudi money. PGA tour will become like the Pirates or Tampa Rays or Oakland A's where they are the small market teams that develop the talent for the Yankess and Red Sox and Dodgers to pay big money to sign on for longer deals.

reality is PGA tour is in trouble, they cannot compete with Saudi money. PGA tour will become like the Pirates or Tampa Rays or Oakland A's where they are the small market teams that develop the talent for the Yankess and Red Sox and Dodgers to pay big money to sign on for longer deals.
yes and no. LIV is trying to pull the big names from the PGA but it will take some time to build their brand. These guys became big names because of the PGA tour. That isn't going to change anytime soon. So if you want to build and sustain your brand, you are going to have to do it on the PGA tour for now. SA isn't going to pay big bucks for very long and they are not going to pay big bucks for up and comers. They want the big names.

So that game is

1. the no-namers are not going to get paid the big bucks by LIV and they cannot build their brand (endorsement money) on LIV so they'll stay
  2. the big names are mostly older, a few exceptions so far like Bryson and DJ, who have already build brand and are on the downside
  3. How long will LIV be willing to lose money in order to get the LIV tour to a sustainable position?
it will be fun to watch!

Reactions: roswelllion
ADVERTISEMENT