ADVERTISEMENT

OT. New to Netflixs and Prime. Need some recommendations

lol.... probably the same reasons they engage in discussions about PSU football and endless other topics with strangers here on the forum. Thats kind of how these forum thingys work. Some posters are actually pretty bright.
You guys are pretty funny. What good is a recommendation for a movie or TV series if you don't know them and they don't know you? A google search for 'popular movies and tv' is easily just as good. Especially if the poster doesn't even say what genres he likes.

Nice 'analogy' though.

You guys are pretty funny. What good is a recommendation for a movie or TV series if you don't know them and they don't know you? A google search for 'popular movies and tv' is easily just as good. Especially if the poster doesn't even say what genres he likes.

Nice 'analogy' though.
You have my permission to not take any recs from this thread. In fact, you don’t even need to open it. Enjoy your googled recommendations

Reactions: Hotshoe

Nice 'analogy' though.
For the record, we are one big happy family here. We even love our mods from time to time. We have also had several of these threads over the years and they're quite useful. Nobody is forcing you to comment.

Nice 'analogy' though.

The Man in the High Castle season four is coming out in November. This original is quite good and as mentioned, so is Jack Ryan. I think you would like both. The Kominsky Method on Netflix is very good as well.

Why do people ask for recommendations from complete strangers?
I was in Browseabout Books in Rehoboth Beach last Saturday and recommended Richard Russo’s Straight Man to a woman I saw browsing the Fiction section. Why? Because it’s a easy, hilarious read. There’s nothing wrong with sharing enthusiasms.

Reactions: step.eng69
I just finished The Spy on Netflix starring Sacha Baron Cohen in a dramatic role. It is based on the true story of an Israeli spy in the 1960's who infiltrates Syria. It is a total of 6 1-hour episodes and rates 85% by critics and 82% by audience on rotten tomatoes. It is worth a look.

My order would be:
  • Jack Ryan
  • Narcos
  • Ozark
  • Goliath
  • House of Cards
  • Catastrophe
  • Portlandia.
Obli: Could not agree more about Catastrophe. The comedic writing for that show was strictly first rate. I wish it had been continued for at least another season. I also liked Sex Education. .Not only was the writing very good, but the premise (a high school student dispensing sex advice to his classmates) made for some entertaining scenarios..

And, speaking of Richard Russo, the film of his book Nobody’s Fool is back up on Amazon Prime. It’s a wonderful film, with Paul Newman’s best performance. Bruce Willis is really good too. It’s one of my favorite movies.

I don’t want to derail this thread, but Richard Russo is a fabulous author. Any of his books. Great for reading on a plane or at the beach.

Reactions: LionJim
The Man in the High Castle season four is coming out in November. This original is quite good and as mentioned, so is Jack Ryan. I think you would like both. The Kominsky Method on Netflix is very good as well.

Man in the HIgh Castle progressively got worse from season to season and the final season went the same direction.

I was really disappointed with the new season of Jack Ryan. Really shoddy script.

I agree with a lot that have already been said, especially Narcos and Peaky Blinders.

I also really enjoy 'Big Mouth' but realize it is not everyone's cup of tea.

I binged all 3 seasons of Narcos over the holiday and thought it was excellent. I haven't started Narcos Mexico but I'd imagine it's good as well.

If you've never seen Breaking Bad make that one a priority. IMO seasons 3-5 of Breaking Bad are the best of any drama series ever. If you have seen Breaking Bad, or after you watch it, be sure to check out El Camino. It's essentially a 2 hour continuation of the series packaged as a movie.

Many recommend Stranger Things but personally I thought it was overrated. I've only watched season 1 and thought it was entertaining, but not as good as most seem to think. I've heard that s2 and s3 aren't as good as the first so I'm not sure I will watch them.

Mindhunter is pretty good. I didn't like the lead actor at first (Holden Ford, played by Jonathan Groff), but it grew on me and now I'm anxiously awaiting season 3. I am a David Fincher fan so I stuck with it and am glad I did. The music in the show is exceptionally well done and adds to the creepy vibe. The actor that plays Ed Kemper does a phenomenal job.

I've lead lots of praise for Black Mirror so I watched the first episode and didn't like it. That episode isn't for you if you have a weak stomach. Since each episode stands alone some online reviews suggest an order to watch it in to view some of the better, and less disgusting, episodes first before getting grossed out. I haven't given up on it yet but it's low down the list in my queue.

If you like tech and British comedy definitely check out The IT Crowd.

Some quick recommendations from Amazon: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Band of Brothers, Sopranos, The Wire, Mr. Robot, The Americans, The Big Sick (movie)

Last edited:
If you like documentaries, I thought the movie Icarus on Netflix was fascinating. It starts out telling the story of an amateur cyclist who wants to see how easy it is to use PEDs to improve his performance and ends up helping to break open the story of the Russian State Sponsored Doping of Athletes in the Olympics.

Reactions: hlstone
Finally got around to Season 5 of the Affair over the holidays, and it was pretty cool. S5 Ep 9 was probably the best episode of a show I've seen in a long time.
If you've never watched the Affair, S1 and S5 were great, the other seasons could easily be skipped (I don't really like the male lead that much).

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I've lead lots of praise for Black Mirror so I watched the first episode and didn't like it. That episode isn't for you if you have a weak stomach. Since each episode stands alone some online reviews suggest an order to watch it in to view some of the better, and less disgusting, episodes first before getting grossed out. I haven't given up on it yet but it's low down the list in my queue.

If you like tech and British comedy definitely check out The IT Crowd.

The initial Black Mirror wasn't exactly an "ease you into it" one. You'll be missing out if you don't continue. Some very interesting material/concepts covered in that show.

Reactions: hlstone
Finally got around to Season 5 of the Affair over the holidays, and it was pretty cool. S5 Ep 9 was probably the best episode of a show I've seen in a long time.
If you've never watched the Affair, S1 and S5 were great, the other seasons could easily be skipped (I don't really like the male lead that much).

Wife and I really dug that show; I think we watched the first three or four seasons. Not a big fan of Noah (the character, not the actor). The setting (Montauk) and story telling devices (many perspectives of the same event) were most compelling. And I really loved Ruth Wilson. That said, I heard Ruth left because she felt the (female) showrunner was so toxic (by creating endless and, according to Wilson, unnecesssary scenes of nudity). Ah well.

Wife and I really dug that show; I think we watched the first three or four seasons. Not a big fan of Noah (the character, not the actor). The setting (Montauk) and story telling devices (many perspectives of the same event) were most compelling. And I really loved Ruth Wilson. That said, I heard Ruth left because she felt the (female) showrunner was so toxic (by creating endless and, according to Wilson, unnecesssary scenes of nudity). Ah well.
I loved Ruth Wilson too. Unfortunately she was not a part of S5, didn't know she had the disagreement. There was a lot less nudity in S5 btw. Not much to like about Noah the character lol

Netflix
  • house of cards
  • orange is the new black
  • narcos
  • Ozark
  • Portlandia
Amazon
  • Any older HBO show
  • Jack Ryan (awesome if you like Tom Clancy)
  • Transparent
  • Sneaky Pete
  • Goliath (very good, both seasons)
  • The man in the High Castle
  • Catastrophe (funny comedy about a later in life couple getting pregnant and trying to make a go of it)
My order would be:
  • Jack Ryan
  • Narcos
  • Ozark
  • Goliath
  • House of Cards
  • Catastrophe
  • Portlandia

Hit up Rotten tomatoes for good info....

I was shocked Jack Ryan is so good. Start here.

Last edited:
I just finished The Spy on Netflix starring Sacha Baron Cohen in a dramatic role. It is based on the true story of an Israeli spy in the 1960's who infiltrates Syria. It is a total of 6 1-hour episodes and rates 85% by critics and 82% by audience on rotten tomatoes. It is worth a look.

Many, many years ago, I read the book Our Man in Damascus, which is the story of Eli Cohen -- the same real-life story upon which The Spy is based. That book was so depressing; I really don't know that I could watch the Netflix show.

I guess I qualify as a Luddite when it comes to entertainment.

For years I have seen all types of posts about shows that I could not access so I am assuming that there are some media experts on this site. Hopefully, I can get some ideas on shows/series.

I do have HBO. My tastes range from Sopranos, The Wire, True Blood, Vinyl, The Deuce to The Flight of the Concords and Larry David. I am not a big fan of sci fi.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Amazon: Catastrophe, Fleabag. Both are hilarious (edgy, not for kids)

Man, i thought this was really good, sorry I finished the most current season.
p15169923_b_v8_aa.jpg
I’ve read all the books but couldn’t get into the series. I only got half way thru the first episode. Maybe I should give it another try.

Reactions: step.eng69
Many, many years ago, I read the book Our Man in Damascus, which is the story of Eli Cohen -- the same real-life story upon which The Spy is based. That book was so depressing; I really don't know that I could watch the Netflix show.

Netflix show isn't as gritty as the real story. It's a good miniseries, but it'd have been pretty boring if it wasn't based on a true story.

I guess I qualify as a Luddite when it comes to entertainment.

For years I have seen all types of posts about shows that I could not access so I am assuming that there are some media experts on this site. Hopefully, I can get some ideas on shows/series.

I do have HBO. My tastes range from Sopranos, The Wire, True Blood, Vinyl, The Deuce to The Flight of the Concords and Larry David. I am not a big fan of sci fi.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Netflix Originals:

You
Ozarks
Peaky Blinders
The Punisher
Jessica Jones

Prime Original:

The Boyz

Netflix non-originals:

Breaking Bad
Dexter

I was in Browseabout Books in Rehoboth Beach last Saturday and recommended Richard Russo’s Straight Man to a woman I saw browsing the Fiction section. Why? Because it’s a easy, hilarious read. There’s nothing wrong with sharing enthusiasms.
Jim, you had recommended Straight Man a year or two ago (maybe more) and based on that I checked it out - LOVED IT! I'm not sure if I ever thanked you but, if not, thank you. BTW, my middle son teaches Philosophy :rolleyes: at a small college in Western Pa so I can imagine that his day-to-day is similar to what Russo described.
You an LSD guy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT