ADVERTISEMENT

OT Picking Tires for a 2009 Honda Accord That my 16-yr-old daughter will be driving soon.

Do have any knowledge of or experience with All-Season tires that have a Severe Snow Service Rating, I wonder if they would be a reasonable compromise to winter tires to avoid changing tires every winter. I see that there is a Kinergy 4S2 with that rating, that' not the same tire you had is it?

Not sure if you are referring to all-season tires rated with the ubiquitous “M+S” (mud snow) rating that is stamped on just about every all season tire these days - which is meaningless .... those tires = hot garbage in winter driving here along the shores of the Great Lakes...

or, You may be referring new hybrid designs ie. Michelin CrossClimate, which I do see get good reviews - alas, these seem to be still outshined in severe winter driving when contrasted by a genuine dedicated winter compound (at least that is what i read)... at $200 a tire, I’m not biting ... I’d rather be inconvenienced by an excellent dedicated winter set(s) clogging my garage.... I’m not interested in compromises when I’m trying to get somewhere when it’s dicey icy/snowy , and at $200 a pop they can keep their “decent” tires

rotation = good practice (duh!) , but can’t fight the the wrath of UV / time

No concern with UV as, truck lives in my garage! Again, a 13, only
50K on it and I can not see any issues! I used to include "spares" in rotations but I don't anymore! The 21 (badged as) scoobie doo Impreza closing in on 7K so will be rotating those soon! I inherited numerous jacks and impact wrenches so I am always good to go. The only thing I would change is, I would prefer a vertical air compressor, to save some space, as opposed to mine!

No concern with UV as, truck lives in my garage! Again, a 13, only
50K on it and I can not see any issues! I used to include "spares" in rotations but I don't anymore! The 21 (badged as) scoobie doo Impreza closing in on 7K so will be rotating those soon! I inherited numerous jacks and impact wrenches so I am always good to go. The only thing I would change is, I would prefer a vertical air compressor, to save some space, as opposed to mine!
Rubber dry rots. Period. It doesn't matter if it's kept outside or inside. Obviously being outside expedites the process. If you're going to push the envelope, make sure you have the tires professionally checked. The last thing you want is to have a blowout driving on some of those roads where you live.

Rubber dry rots. Period. It doesn't matter if it's kept outside or inside. Obviously being outside expedites the process. If you're going to push the envelope, make sure you have the tires professionally checked. The last thing you want is to have a blowout driving on some of those roads where you live.

This.

Skimping on tires blows my mind. They're literally the only thing keeping your car on the road, they're what's gripping the pavement when you slam on the brakes in an emergency, and you're trying to save a buck. One fender bender is eating up every penny you saved and more.

Car guys do it too. Unbelievable the number of guys I see on my car forums who are bitching about the prices of michelins and contis, looking for recommendations tires no ones ever heard of, to throw on a sports car that has 5k-10k in other aftermarket parts on it. Like jesus christ, you're going to buy a 40,000 dollar car, give it a bunch of extra power and then run f*ing Westlake tires to save a couple hundred bucks?

This.

Skimping on tires blows my mind. They're literally the only thing keeping your car on the road, they're what's gripping the pavement when you slam on the brakes in an emergency, and you're trying to save a buck. One fender bender is eating up every penny you saved and more.

Car guys do it too. Unbelievable the number of guys I see on my car forums who are bitching about the prices of michelins and contis, looking for recommendations tires no ones ever heard of, to throw on a sports car that has 5k-10k in other aftermarket parts on it. Like jesus christ, you're going to buy a 40,000 dollar car, give it a bunch of extra power and then run f*ing Westlake tires to save a couple hundred bucks?
I am by no means a "car guy". I'm your average truck person. My last 3 were a base model Tacoma and 2 base model Silverados. But regardless, I was always told tires are the most important thing. I know they're not considered a top of the line tire but I have always had good luck with El Dorado truck tires. They wear well and never failed me when I needed them to perform. I ran them on my Tacoma and my older Silverado and will put them on my new Silverado when the time comes.

Reactions: dailybuck777
My 16-yr-old daughter will hopefully get her driver's license Friday. The Accord that I bought her has about 190,000 miles. It needs new tires. I was stunned by the high cost of tires. (One of the places, I called said that tires would cost $800 to $900 and said high prices were due to supply problems out of China. Did find that I could get tires with only a 40,000 mile expected life for about $540. Seems like everything in 60,000 mile range costs about $700 or $750. Since the car has high mileage, I am a bit tempted by the 40,000 mile tires, but it being a Honda, it could easily get 350,000 miles. Wondering about any insights from people here.
The mileage you will get out of your tires also depends quite a bit on what type of driving you are doing. If most of the miles are highway miles, you will certainly get more miles out of your tires than if it is city driving.

Just drove the car 200 miles. Tires were comfortable and quiet. Someone made a quick stop ahead of me and I had to stop quickly. Very good traction on dry road -- don't know about rain.

Take a look at General tires. They're an excellent tire for the money and are much more reasonably priced than premium brands. They are under the Continental umbrella based in Germany. My tire guy recommended them to me over other more expensive brands he sells and I've been very happy with them. Find a dealer in your area and go ask him about the brand.

https://www.generaltire-tyres.com/car/the-brand

Take a look at General tires. They're an excellent tire for the money and are much more reasonably priced than premium brands. They are under the Continental umbrella based in Germany. My tire guy recommended them to me over other more expensive brands he sells and I've been very happy with them. Find a dealer in your area and go ask him about the brand.

https://www.generaltire-tyres.com/car/the-brand

I respect Continental but their General brand is one I will NEVER buy again... years ago I invested in AltimaxRTs from TireRack that looked really cool and were Generally well-reviewed (probably by campus interns hired by General) , alas they were excessively loud and Generally unsatisfactory...

I respect Continental but their General brand is one I will NEVER buy again... years ago I invested in AltimaxRTs from TireRack that looked really cool and were Generally well-reviewed (probably by campus interns hired by General) , alas they were excessively loud and Generally unsatisfactory...
Tires are like any other product. Some have a good experience and some don't. Sorry to hear that yours was less than satisfactory.

ADVERTISEMENT