ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Psylocybin treatment for depression, schizophrenia, addiction. Updated April 19

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
60 Minutes did a segment on psylocybin, the active ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms. John Hopkins and others are researching using it to treat various mental issues including addiction. Treatment was a six hour IV of a high dose.

Interviewed people that received the treatment with great results. One guy quit smoking, another quit alcohol, both said they never had the urge again. Others said they never had depression again. But some people said while under the influence they had a terrible experience with terrifying hallucinations, repressed memories from childhood, and more. But they said it was well worth it.

A common result was the loss of Ego and they said that freed them to be better people. Interesting stuff.

Could be a major step in treating many mental illnesses. You listening Mack Daddy?

https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/video/aVr4a9j7Sa5PhkHjhaE__e5QlMoU4WaX/researchers-experimenting-with-psychedelics-to-treat-addiction-depression-and-anxiety/

60 Minutes did a segment on psylocybin, the active ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms. John Hopkins and others are researching using it to treat various mental issues including addiction. Treatment was a six hour IV of a high dose.

Interviewed people that received the treatment with great results. One guy quit smoking, another quit alcohol, both said they never had the urge again. Others said they never had depression again. But some people said while under the influence they had a terrible experience with terrifying hallucinations, repressed memories from childhood, and more. But they said it was well worth it.

A common result was the loss of Ego and they said that freed them to be better people. Interesting stuff.

Could be a major step in treating many mental illnesses. You listening Mack Daddy?

https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/video/aVr4a9j7Sa5PhkHjhaE__e5QlMoU4WaX/researchers-experimenting-with-psychedelics-to-treat-addiction-depression-and-anxiety/

More than interesting. The brain scans after treatment compared to before treatment were remarkable. The Neural path activity was reset as if the brain was rewired to it's state before mental illness caused neural path debilitation. Exciting stuff. Big Pharma won't like it though.

I work in this area (novel treatments for mental illness) and watched the 60 minutes segment. And while it is true psylocibin does have potential as a therapeutic agent, that segment grossly over sold the benefits it offers,. It treats everything, cures everybody and has no risks is basically what was presented, which is pretty irresponsible reporting.

I was going to, but then I changed my something, something.

6443d43bc06fc0547c7ef2bd53f5c6a4.jpg

Last edited:

Now you know why I'm so grounded and together.

Reactions: nits74
I work in this area (novel treatments for mental illness) and watched the 60 minutes segment. And while it is true psylocibin does have potential as a therapeutic agent, that segment grossly over sold the benefits it offers,. It treats everything, cures everybody and has no risks is basically what was presented, which is pretty irresponsible reporting.
60 Minutes and other 'news' outlets have had the habit of over-reporting medical breakthroughs forever. Seems every three years they do a 'breaking news' type segment on a cure for cancer.

However, even if these treatments are only 25% effective, that would be a huge advancement. And that would be a good start for future research on more effective treatments.

Seems several companies researching psychedelic drugs are going public and/or raising private funds for more research.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-11/move-over-pot-psychedelic-companies-are-about-to-go-public

Yet a growing number of companies are conducting clinical trials of psychedelic treatments for everything from depression to post-traumatic stress disorder, and some have recently received the blessing of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. This has created a legal way for these companies to conduct research on otherwise illegal drugs, opening the door to public listings.

“I think that the psychedelics industry could be much bigger than the cannabis industry because it’s going to attract institutional capital and already is starting to,” Rahn said. “It’s also going to be a more concentrated space because the barriers to entry are much higher.”
Lot more in linked article.

Reactions: indynittany

I saw that very, very interesting.
A while ago I watched an episode on Weednation about them using Weed to help people quit Herion. They had a decent success rate but was still early in the expermantation. Pretty interesting stuff.

I saw that very, very interesting.
A while ago I watched an episode on Weednation about them using Weed to help people quit Herion. They had a decent success rate but was still early in the expermantation. Pretty interesting stuff.
That can't be right. Weed is a gateway drug! ;)

More than interesting. The brain scans after treatment compared to before treatment were remarkable. The Neural path activity was reset as if the brain was rewired to it's state before mental illness caused neural path debilitation. Exciting stuff. Big Pharma won't like it though.[/QUOTE]

No not at all. The Native American Indians in the SouthWest were all over this and some still are, with this stuff. I also saw an episode on Vice TV were the Navajo were using a Sweat Lodge and "mushrooms" in their treatment for a myriad of things and with fairly good results.

So like brainwashing people... chemically, like in spy films.

Guessing that is one way to get people to quit smoking.

Could also become a scientologist and have someone yell at you for days.

They also had an effective treatment in Stephen King's Cat's Eye film.

Same result.

LdN

There are always tradeoffs with drugs. It's all about managing the side effects. And every patient's experience is going to be unique.

For people with PTSD and some forms of anxiety, sometimes the FDA-approved anti-depressants can have really debilitating side effects.

I know someone with anxiety disorder (probably from childhood abuse) who really struggles on prescription anti-depressants.

This person started experimenting with microdoses of mushrooms and has found it almost magically calms down the anxiety without creating the "fog" that antidepressants cause in some people. This person also believes that taking CBD has been helpful too --- has the effect of just calming down the brain a little bit.

Who knows, this is an anecdote, it's not really science, it could be all placebo effect.

But if this person feels like it works for them, why should other people be saying no?

Why should the federal government be saying, no you can't do any of this and if we find out we'll drag you into court, fine you enormous sums of money, throw you in prison and give you a criminal record that takes away your ability to support yourself.

Somehow I don't think the Founding Fathers would think much of that.

There are always tradeoffs with drugs. It's all about managing the side effects. And every patient's experience is going to be unique.

For people with PTSD and some forms of anxiety, sometimes the FDA-approved anti-depressants can have really debilitating side effects.

I know someone with anxiety disorder (probably from childhood abuse) who really struggles on prescription anti-depressants.

This person started experimenting with microdoses of mushrooms and has found it almost magically calms down the anxiety without creating the "fog" that antidepressants cause in some people. This person also believes that taking CBD has been helpful too --- has the effect of just calming down the brain a little bit.

Who knows, this is an anecdote, it's not really science, it could be all placebo effect.

But if this person feels like it works for them, why should other people be saying no?

Why should the federal government be saying, no you can't do any of this and if we find out we'll drag you into court, fine you enormous sums of money, throw you in prison and give you a criminal record that takes away your ability to support yourself.

Somehow I don't think the Founding Fathers would think much of that.

Why? Because, unfortunately, far too many will abuse the drugs. Just take a look around.

I think it is great that research is being done on this and it is great that many people could be helped. But full legalization would probably lead to more problems, not less.

My mother, who is 96, takes CBD oil and helps her anxiety. Staff at the nursing home has said they wish everyone would try it as it helps a lot of people that try it.

Looks like the psylocybin could be huge help for several psychiatric disorders. Maybe a few other psychedelics could help , too. Hope it works out.

Reactions: TheGLOV
A lot of people don’t believe in psychologists and say that this is just another waste of money and time. I truly believe that a good doctor can bring your state of being back to the normal. I know many psychologists that helped my friends from depression, anxiety or different addictions. One of them showed me the Addiction Statistics and I was shocked when I saw how many people suffer from different mental diseases or psychological ones. I want to believe that one day this number will fall down.

Last edited:
Why? Because, unfortunately, far too many will abuse the drugs. Just take a look around.

I think it is great that research is being done on this and it is great that many people could be helped. But full legalization would probably lead to more problems, not less.

My mother, who is 96, takes CBD oil and helps her anxiety. Staff at the nursing home has said they wish everyone would try it as it helps a lot of people that try it.

Looks like the psylocybin could be huge help for several psychiatric disorders. Maybe a few other psychedelics could help , too. Hope it works out.
totally agree. a ton of problems are caused by bad habits like eating, sleeping, laziness, diet, recreational drugs. People go to the doctor and want a magic pill to fix them of their loved ones. If they are told to change the regimen, they just go to a different Dr until they get a magic pill.

And, with drugs, Newton's Third Law of Motion applies: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Drugs come with a cost that is taken on the body. Drugs simply take the pressure point from one issue and move it to another. It is a cash flow vs assets situation, tortoise and hare, short game/long game. It is, of course, necessary to take a prescribed drug at times but, over the long run, is not ideal in any case.

totally agree. a ton of problems are caused by bad habits like eating, sleeping, laziness, diet, recreational drugs. People go to the doctor and want a magic pill to fix them of their loved ones. If they are told to change the regimen, they just go to a different Dr until they get a magic pill.

And, with drugs, Newton's Third Law of Motion applies: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Drugs come with a cost that is taken on the body. Drugs simply take the pressure point from one issue and move it to another. It is a cash flow vs assets situation, tortoise and hare, short game/long game. It is, of course, necessary to take a prescribed drug at times but, over the long run, is not ideal in any case.

So there is additional research showing more promises, especially for depression. Have read a couple articles about additional funding for research. And several states either have legalized it for research or are in the process of doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjw165
I was going to, but then I changed my something, something.

6443d43bc06fc0547c7ef2bd53f5c6a4.jpg
I’m so broke, I can’t even pay attention!
Ain’t got change for a dollar,
Hell I can’t even change my mind!

A big shout out to the Sanford Townsend Band for Rainbows Colored in Blues!

Who was in Arizona after the game? Was it Jerry? We have the footage...

Sounds like they're still trippin if you ask me ................ That stuff never cured me!

Reactions: Agoodnap
Sounds like my friends talking about their weed. This one to sleep this one to cure headaches this one for tooth ache. Stuff cures all.

I mean the only thing this stuff definitely cures is nausea.

I have to say from direct empirical study of the effects of psylocibin mushrooms from my youth. It definitely made you laugh so hard your side hurt for two days afterwards.

And remember … laughter is the best medicine. 😉

Call me a skeptic. An experimental drug is going to fix mental health even though the approved drugs don't work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT