ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shiffrin wins downhill at St. Moritz.

Holy crap! She won a downhill? After everything's said and done, think she'll easily be considered alpine skiing's goat (if she isn't already).

L. Vonn is incredible because she got most of her World Cup wins (83) in the speed events - Downhill and Super G that just take raw courage. These are the events that you hit 75 to 80 mph, and you have the serious injuries, and God knows, she did. A racer has a better chance of avoiding injury in the Tech events, where they don't reach those speeds.
I love it that Mikaela Shiffrin is not afraid to step out of her Tech specialty, and compete in downhill and Super G every now and then - she has won four DH now. I am sure she is advised not to do it because of the chance of injury. I don't think she has had a serious injury.
Shiffrin is the most successful skier of all time, and I am a huge fan of hers because in addition, she handles herself so well. A good person.
I don't think anyone can be called the greatest skier of all time. If you had to name one, closest to it at this point is L. Vonn, in my opinion. There is a documentary about her called 'Last Season', I think. The pain she has experienced, and the numerous surgeries she has recovered from is unbelievable.

Reactions: cntblvitsbutter
L. Vonn is incredible because she got most of her World Cup wins (83) in the speed events - Downhill and Super G that just take raw courage. These are the events that you hit 75 to 80 mph, and you have the serious injuries, and God knows, she did. A racer has a better chance of avoiding injury in the Tech events, where they don't reach those speeds.
I love it that Mikaela Shiffrin is not afraid to step out of her Tech specialty, and compete in downhill and Super G every now and then - she has won four DH now. I am sure she is advised not to do it because of the chance of injury. I don't think she has had a serious injury.
Shiffrin is the most successful skier of all time, and I am a huge fan of hers because in addition, she handles herself so well. A good person.
I don't think anyone can be called the greatest skier of all time. If you had to name one, closest to it at this point is L. Vonn, in my opinion. There is a documentary about her called 'Last Season', I think. The pain she has experienced, and the numerous surgeries she has recovered from is unbelievable.
Vonn = drama queen.

What she has put her body through is just incredible: torn ACLs, broken bones, concussions. I do wonder how many more wins she could've had without all those injuries. Not to mention the bravery and commitment it takes to come back after each horrific crash. And she's absolutely gorgeous to boot!

A few more details.
This is just a few weeks after her boyfriend crashed hard and was ruled out for the season.

It’s been a tough year for the stars with MS’s rival Vlhova out for the season too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT