ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Some men are Baptists, others Catholics....

I started reading some of Jean Shepherd's other stuff a few years ago. My wife's uncle gave me a book of his titled "In God we Trust, All Others Pay Cash" for Christmas one year. Very funny..the guy was an incredible story teller.

I started reading some of Jean Shepherd's other stuff a few years ago. My wife's uncle gave me a book of his titled "In God we Trust, All Others Pay Cash" for Christmas one year. Very funny..the guy was an incredible story teller.

Wasn't that the book A Christmas Story was based on? I could be wrong. I'm going to pick up one of his books as well, if the film's narration was pulled from his own writing it has to be hilarious.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and m48tank
Wasn't that the book A Christmas Story was based on? I could be wrong. I'm going to pick up one of his books as well, if the film's narration was pulled from his own writing it has to be hilarious.

Yes. The book is a collection of short stories written by Shepherd. A few of the stories are woven together and expanded for A Christmas Story. The stories in this book are written in the same narrative form as A Christmas Story --- as an adult looking back on his childhood.

I recall with fondness, the series "Jean Shepherd's America" on PBS.

If this is the Jean Shepard who was on NY radio he is classic.
I was driving from Philadelphia to Danbury CT one summer evening and he started to talk about Willie Mays chasing a fly ball. When I parked the car in CT Willie had not caught the ball yet
Another great memory was his tale on his Senior prom in Toledo Ohio. The article was published in Playboy. I read the articles

Reactions: 91Joe95
If this is the Jean Shepard who was on NY radio he is classic.
I was driving from Philadelphia to Danbury CT one summer evening and he started to talk about Willie Mays chasing a fly ball. When I parked the car in CT Willie had not caught the ball yet
Another great memory was his tale on his Senior prom in Toledo Ohio. The article was published in Playboy. I read the articles

Yep, same one. He had a show on WOR for many years.

This is another good one from Jean on American Playhouse:
The Great American 4th of July and other disasters.

Merry Christmas to all!

I have the "officialredrydercarbineaction200shotrangemodelairrifle" propped up next to our Christmas tree- along with a bar of lifebouy soap (untasted).

Shepherdcameo.jpg

He was the narrarator of A Christmas Story and also had a small role in the film. He was the guy who tells Ralphie, " The line ends here. It begins there".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT