ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Trying to find cost of a stock in 6/28/2011. I've been trying to find websites

furfoot

Jan 28, 2002
that allow me to input the symbol and the date to find the high and low to use for a cost basis. The company was Washington Gas Light. Symbol is/was WGL, as the company was taken over by AltaGas Ltd, and the WGL common stock was cancelled and shareholders paid an agreed upon price. Since WGL has been delisted, I can't find anything that let's me look around in price history. I kept a portfolio listing in Yahoo Finance, and all they have has been blanked out. Yes, I know that I should have documentation for everything, but I can't easily locate this info, so I'm reaching out for assistance so I can figure out what I'm looking at on capital gains tax. Thanks in advance for your help...

that allow me to input the symbol and the date to find the high and low to use for a cost basis. The company was Washington Gas Light. Symbol is/was WGL, as the company was taken over by AltaGas Ltd, and the WGL common stock was cancelled and shareholders paid an agreed upon price. Since WGL has been delisted, I can't find anything that let's me look around in price history. I kept a portfolio listing in Yahoo Finance, and all they have has been blanked out. Yes, I know that I should have documentation for everything, but I can't easily locate this info, so I'm reaching out for assistance so I can figure out what I'm looking at on capital gains tax. Thanks in advance for your help...
Is this the company?
https://wglholdingsinc.gcs-web.com/historical-price-lookup?8c7bdd83-a726-4a84-b969-494be2477e47[WGL_N][date_month]=06&8c7bdd83-a726-4a84-b969-494be2477e47[WGL_N][date_day]=6&8c7bdd83-a726-4a84-b969-494be2477e47[WGL_N][date_year]=2011

I can get quarterly prices on WSJ:
WGLCO= $88.22 on 7/1/11
WGLCP= $95.00 on 7/1/11 (preferred?). This symbol was first listed on 1/1/11 at $91.50. I hope this helps.

I can get quarterly prices on WSJ:
WGLCO= $88.22 on 7/1/11
WGLCP= $95.00 on 7/1/11 (preferred?). This symbol was first listed on 1/1/11 at $91.50. I hope this helps.
It's the WGL holding company(common) that cool1099 came up with, not the WGLCO(Washington Gas Light Company), but I do appreciate the help and thank you for it.

Thanks to everyone who responded, you've given me the sites that I needed, now I just have to bite the bullet on the capital gains since I don't have an offset.

Last edited:
Obliviax, believe me, you couldn't feel any worse than I do. I inherited the stock upon my father's death, and took the dividends to boost my income. When WGL was "merged", that ended the dividends and set me up for the capital gains tax. But I do appreciate the sarcasm, I know how fortunate I seem(and am in many ways), but things aren't always what they seem.

Last edited:
Believe me, you couldn't feel any worse than I do. I inherited the stock upon my father's death, and took the dividends to boost my income. When WGL was "merged", that ended the dividends and set me up for the Capital gains tax. But I do appreciate the sarcasm, I know how fortunate I seem(and am in many ways), but things aren't always what they seem.
Actually might not be as bad as u think. I m sure u know your basis will be the value of the stock at your fathers date of death. Sorry got your loss

Reactions: Ct. Lion
Sluggo72, yes, I am aware of that, the 6/28/2011 date is the date of my father's death/ my inheritance of the stock.
I haven't looked at any tax forms, so I don't know what the tax percentage is on capital gains, if the tax is on total gains or if they only kick in after a certain amount of gains.

Sluggo72, yes, I am aware of that, the 6/28/2011 date is the date of my father's death/ my inheritance of the stock.
I haven't looked at any tax forms, so I don't know what the tax percentage is on capital gains, if the tax is on total gains or if they only kick in after a certain amount of gains.
The % of cap gains depends on your income
So you may not have to pay anything

The % of cap gains depends on your income
So you may not have to pay anything
Well, my wife and I are both retired and the new deductions would have eliminated any taxes due without this capital gain, so like you say, things might not be quite as bad as I feared. I'm now wondering if Pennsylvania is gonna take a big bite out of me...seems like even if nothing was owed to the IRS, Pa always got something heading their way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Well, my wife and I are both retired and the new deductions would have eliminated any taxes due without this capital gain, so like you say, things might not be quite as bad as I feared. I'm now wondering if Pennsylvania is gonna put a big bite out of me...seems like even if nothing was owed to the IRS, Pa always got something heading their way.
And so does WV!! Where I m

It’s better to pay taxes on your gains than to have losses. That’s one way to look at it.

That's gotta be it! I really appreciate the help(and wonder why I couldn't find it). Oh man, this is gonna hurt tax-wise...looking at over 40k in capital gains on this.:eek:
I'll help you out. Give me the 40k and I'll pay the taxes.

Reactions: furfoot
Well, my wife and I are both retired and the new deductions would have eliminated any taxes due without this capital gain, so like you say, things might not be quite as bad as I feared. I'm now wondering if Pennsylvania is gonna take a big bite out of me...seems like even if nothing was owed to the IRS, Pa always got something heading their way.
Good chance you pay no tax on that gain based on what you said about your other income. And if you do pay tax it will be very little.

Reactions: furfoot
Good chance you pay no tax on that gain based on what you said about your other income. And if you do pay tax it will be very little.
I plan on going to an AARP tax preparation site to have fed, state and local done together. It would be a huge relief not to have to dig too deeply for this.

The capital gains rate is 0% for couples with taxable income under $77,200. So if your taxable income was $0 prior to the game, you are going to be under the $77,200 threshold with the gain, so no tax on the gain. Not sure how the state will handle it though

The capital gains rate is 0% for couples with taxable income under $77,200. So if your taxable income was $0 prior to the game, you are going to be under the $77,200 threshold with the gain, so no tax on the gain. Not sure how the state will handle it though

Now THAT is some welcome news! I will definitely be under that, so things appear to be looking up. As far as PA goes, I'm resigned to having to pay something, since they treat long-term capital gains as taxable income. So hopefully it's only at the state income tax rate - 3.07%.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT