ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is That Delightful Smell? Or, Is Something Burning?

Last time, I blended some pineapple with the homemade adobo for the overnight marinade, and the pork was basically pickled by the time it came off the grill—so I skipped that this time and it was an improvement. Maybe Al Pastor is just supposed to be soft. I like the injection idea of you do it right before you put it on.
I like the injection idea. You could also make a mixture to periodically brush on the pork while cooking. It will probably add some time to the cook, but might be worth it for extra flavor.

Just bought a smoker, used on FB marketplace. A Dyna-Glo offset charcoal. Used it for the first time yesterday. Definitely messier and requires more attention than pellet or electric models but the end product was fantastic.

Need to put some casters on it b/c we've got limited deck space and it's a bit much to move.

RCVVQso.png

Last time, I blended some pineapple with the homemade adobo for the overnight marinade, and the pork was basically pickled by the time it came off the grill—so I skipped that this time and it was an improvement. Maybe Al Pastor is just supposed to be soft. I like the injection idea of you do it right before you put it on.
Timing is everything. I test small amounts for different times. Then grill them up and have a pre grill "snack". Then I csnpsy attention to what the others want, secure in my planned leftovers. Have a great time.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Just bought a smoker, used on FB marketplace. A Dyna-Glo offset charcoal. Used it for the first time yesterday. Definitely messier and requires more attention than pellet or electric models but the end product was fantastic.

Need to put some casters on it b/c we've got limited deck space and it's a bit much to move.

RCVVQso.png
hell-yes-es6pyo2pj9xkw45g.gif

I keep going back and forth with this. I'm probably going to grab 2 more butts, just to be safe. That should be 7 or so pounds of meat. If I have anything left I want it to be pork. It freezes well if needed and I'll eat more for dinner this week.
good call ... I def think you're short on pork

For my daughter's graduation party, I have the following for main dishes. 24 lbs of pulled pork, cooked and pulled weight. 40 lbs of chicken fingers, 10 lbs of taco meat for walking tacos. We're expecting 90 to 100 people.

I'm kinda worried I don't have enough pulled pork. Any opinions on this?
Let's check with our local expert! @Idahopennstatefan does the geologist have enough meats for 90 to 100 people?

Well, here's the aftermath. 75 or so people were here.

We had almost half of the pork leftover. 15 lbs or so. I really thought more of it would go. We bought brioche slider buns and everyone seemed to just make one sandwich for whatever reason.

Almost no taco meat left out of 10 lbs, and the vast majority of 30 lbs of chicken went.

We had almost half of the pork leftover. 15 lbs or so. I really thought more of it would go. We bought brioche slider buns and everyone seemed to just make one sandwich for whatever reason.

Almost no taco meat left out of 10 lbs, and the vast majority of 30 lbs of chicken went.
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

;)

It sounds as though all went well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PAgeologist
Late to the party. I figure 1/3 lb per person on pork shoulder on the raw weight. I would bet that cooks down to about the 1/4 lb that was mentioned above. That is if pulled pork is the only meat choice. If you have other options available then I slide it down a little from there.

I really need to figure out how to post pictures. I have been smoking shoulders for various events the last 2 weeks. 5 shoulders for one reunion, 12 shoulders for a 4-H scholarship dinner, 3 for a reunion and last night 4 for a group of friends to come over. So 24 shoulders in 2 weeks. The Yoder smokers are earning their keep. The color and bark I am getting on them from the Yoder has been unreal.

Been tweaking the bacon wrapped chicken thighs. A couple more practice runs and they will be ready to go public.

Late to the party. I figure 1/3 lb per person on pork shoulder on the raw weight. I would bet that cooks down to about the 1/4 lb that was mentioned above. That is if pulled pork is the only meat choice. If you have other options available then I slide it down a little from there.

I really need to figure out how to post pictures. I have been smoking shoulders for various events the last 2 weeks. 5 shoulders for one reunion, 12 shoulders for a 4-H scholarship dinner, 3 for a reunion and last night 4 for a group of friends to come over. So 24 shoulders in 2 weeks. The Yoder smokers are earning their keep. The color and bark I am getting on them from the Yoder has been unreal.

Been tweaking the bacon wrapped chicken thighs. A couple more practice runs and they will be ready to go public.
You can email me pics at my username at the gmail, and I’ll post ‘em. I’m in awe of your passion and its scale, lol.

Courtesy of @Idahopennstatefan :
Here are a few pictures of shoulders doing their thing. The picture are taken just at internal temps of 165-170 degrees just before wrapping.

Bacon wrapped chicken thighs.

The last picture is a feed trough with a reinforced bottom that I use to cook with Dutch ovens. The big ovens are 5 gallons, 18" diameter deep sides. The small ones are 16" diameter. The is 100 lbs of potatoes being cooked in the picture.

I didn't get any with the smokers fully loaded. Normally when I'm doing that many its get it mode not stop and take a picture.

I took the lazy route and went with Google Photos, which you'll have to click below to see the pics:

Courtesy of @Idahopennstatefan :

I took the lazy route and went with Google Photos, which you'll have to click below to see the pics:

Thanks nerf. Been playing with the yoder smokers. I am a fan of the way they cook. They seem to move more air than most pellet smokers to get a more event temp in the smoker. If I keep it reasonable with the amount in the smoker like 4 shoulders the temps will be within 5 degrees of the same internal at any given time. I have never had that level of consistency from my treager, smoke pro, or Green Mountain. That consistency does go down if I stuff 9 shoulders in the little smoker 6 on the bottom and 3 on the top. I end up rotating the top to bottom and front to back to keep it even. So huge shoutout to the Yoder YS640 smoker. By far the best pellet smoker I have ever had the pleasure of burning meat in.

Reactions: nerfstate

People never eat as much at functions like this as you prepare for. Never.

Reverse seared (Hickory) my first Tri Tip today. It wasn’t the most premium cut, but got it for a good price at the farmers market. Incredible flavor. Wound up chopping it up with grilled poblanos, cubaneles and onions from the garden for tacos (homemade corn tortillas). It was fantastic. Will make again and again.

Last edited:
Reverse seared my first Tri Tip today. It wasn’t the most premium cut, but got it for a good price at the farmers market. Incredible flavor. Wound up chopping it up with grilled poblanos, cubaneles and onions from the garden for tacos (homemade corn tortillas). It was fantastic. Will make again and again.
I would love to try my hand at a tri-tip. In NEPA it's difficult to find a butcher to cut one

Reactions: nerfstate
I like a sear on the tips. Keep then on the rare side of medium rare. They can be tough when they get over cooked. I slice as thin as possible against the grain. Works great on a little slider sandwich. Leftovers get shaved and turned into french dip with Jonny-Oh's. Or with cheese and crackers.

Reactions: Creek Side
Thanks nerf. Been playing with the yoder smokers. I am a fan of the way they cook. They seem to move more air than most pellet smokers to get a more event temp in the smoker. If I keep it reasonable with the amount in the smoker like 4 shoulders the temps will be within 5 degrees of the same internal at any given time. I have never had that level of consistency from my treager, smoke pro, or Green Mountain. That consistency does go down if I stuff 9 shoulders in the little smoker 6 on the bottom and 3 on the top. I end up rotating the top to bottom and front to back to keep it even. So huge shoutout to the Yoder YS640 smoker. By far the best pellet smoker I have ever had the pleasure of burning meat in.
I smoke on a barrel cooker and a 22inch webber kettle. My neighbor just bought a Yoder and asked if I'd like to be a part of the 1st cook. Alls I have to say is hot dang that thing is amazing.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
I have cooked 8 of the 9 I bought. Different methods, but all on Big Green Egg.. I like searing at the end. That allows the crust to crisp up. Brush with fresh chimchurri and slice about 1/4 inch thick.
Smoked a tri-tip (salt, pepper, garlic) for dinner tonight, 225° for about an hour and a half. Pulled at 126° IT. Reverse seared in cast iron in garlic butter with some rosemary. Turned out perfect. Washing it all down with a glass of Maker's Mark 101 now and watching football. Great way to wind down the weekend!
Tri-tips are a pretty common cut in the butcher shops and meat markets around here (Ozarks). I cook them up pretty regularly (every couple of weeks). Usually, I use the above method, though what I wash it down with changes!

Very cool thread here homies.

I need to get off my arse & into some smoking of meats.

I bought a drink smoker last year & have enjoyed it a few times, on brown liquors neat but not yet on cocktails.

@hlstone @nerfstate @doubleboots

Here are some Waygu tri-tips. I typically buy them Choice from Giant for about $6/lb but if you guys want Prime may as well go all the way.

EDIT: The pickup location is right next to the Little League Field that the PA 12yo teams had their playoffs this week. Would have been a great time to make the trip.

EDIT again: I was at Giant last night and the tri-tips were up to $9/lb. First time I've seen them above $7/lb

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT